Switching to Conroe?

• ME

Votes: 70 29.8%
  • NOT me

Votes: 120 51.1%
  • Maybe - state reasons.

Votes: 45 19.1%

• Total voters
Right now I'm leaning towards yes. I've never built an Intel-based system and Conroe seems like a good reason to give Intel a try in a few months.

Tetrahedron said:
I want to ask this..

For all those that will switch to Conroe just cause it may be the fastest at its exact release..

Do you like the team the won the World Series, or the Superbowl or whatever just cause they won.. do you keep jumpin wagons?

Im serious too..

That is a pretty rediculous question. I can watch the superbowl for free on television, but I have to PAY for my processor. I will buy the best that is in my pricerange when I'm ready to buy PERIOD.

Brand loyalty is for stockholders and employees, and I am neither. I seriously don't understand why some get upset that others will buy whatever is best regardless of brand. To do anything else is foolish.

I currently use an Athlon64 and am completely happy with it. AMD's current generation of processors has been fantastic. However, by the time I'm ready to upgrade my cpu (probably 6 months), conroe will be out, and if it has the best performance in my pricerange, I will be buying it without a second thought.

(cf)Eclipse said:
geforce4MX users unite! <3

/spam (sorry, i'm bored... :p)
lol.. I actually have a MX440 and a power house 440SE !

My new mainboard has a 6100/410 combo...lol

Also I can't complain when I receive A64 processors for free every once in a while...

I'd be happy with a Geode NX1750 developement board for most of my computer usage.

If Conroe does outperform competition then won't AMD have to cut prices significantly? AMD has a low profit margin even today, right? Will be interesting to see how AMD stock performs in a few months time.

LOL, all this fuss over Conroe is insane.

First of all, who knows what the pricing is gonna be? I am predicting that Intel and AMD will have pricing about the same based on performance.

Secondly, who all buys the top of the line AMD? Not many, most buy middle of the road and shop for best bang for the buck. So, which company has the fastest CPU of all is not gonna matter to those folks.

All that is gonna matter is that who has the best performance for a set price. Does Intel's 300 dollar Conroe match or beat AMD's 300 dollar Athlon, that is what is gonna matter.

NOPE. I jumped on the AMD Bandwagon in 97 with my k62-233 and it will take the other team winning a few Championships back to back to back before i even consider a move.

icepik said:
I probably will. I'll be ready to upgrade my system to a dual core/pcie solution next Christmas. I'm doubtful that AMD can release a solution that will perform as well as Conroe at the same price points. As long as Intel keeps pricing competitive there will be no reason to stay with AMD.

AMD probbaly has something up its sleves to counteract it

I won't be upgrading until I can no longer play current games at 1024x768 with 2xAA and 16xAF. When that upgrade happens, it may involve a new processor since I will need a PCIe motherboard to upgrade the video, which will be the primary upgrade. I'm figuring on next spring for the complete overhaul. I think my 3700+ Claw and x800pro should hold out until then.

And AMD is cheaper?

Most of the time...yes. At least AMD was for the most part. When dual cores first came out, AMD was cheaper, Intel is still to release a full 64bit chip (not now anymore w/ their new line). They've been relying on their EE P4 which was good but now past its prime...I mean you can only OC that chip so far...

AMD and Intel have always something in their sleeves. Its part of the product roadmap. The only question is how these respective companies is going to execute their plans.

not me im in college and my system is good enough 4 COD2 and writing papers and folding

I'll probably get The Mobile Conroe assuming it has competitive bench marks to the conroe, I want to build a quiet, cool pc

Has intel said anything about the Mobile Conroe?
I can't stand to wait, I really want to build a PC now!

I probably would have, but since my computer died I had to settle with a 939. I'll decide again in a few years, probably buy a vid card in a year or 2 for my next upgrade

Nope, I prefer to keep an AMD-compatible board so I can buy whatever the AMD answer to Conroe is. If the sockets were compatible, I'd probably pick up a Conroe though.

J_I_M_B_O said:
I'll probably get The Mobile Conroe assuming it has competitive bench marks to the conroe, I want to build a quiet, cool pc

Has intel said anything about the Mobile Conroe?
I can't stand to wait, I really want to build a PC now!

It's called Merom.
As was the case in the P3 days (and earlier), all of Intel's chips (mobile, desktop, workstation) are going to be the same arch.

Indeed - but when they do, I'll but a board that the new chip works in - I don't want to have wasted money on a Conroe board in the meantime

JDAdams said:
Indeed - but when they do, I'll but a board that the new chip works in - I don't want to have wasted money on a Conroe board in the meantime

Indeed your previous post doesn't make sense then.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i said not me for a specific reason. a very specific one.

memory controller.

thank you. the am2 has a pretty sweet design. looking for a pic that had everything when i find ill update >.<

Maybe. If I feel that my Clawhammer isn't enough anymore and I can afford another upgrade, I might do it. It looks like AMD is going to take it on the chin this next round after have been sticking it to Intel for a while. Unless they have something up their sleeve. ;)

Maybe, It will likely be 2 years before I really need to upgrade from a X2 4400 to play games well.. I'll have to decide then..

MrWizard6600 said:
uhhh cuz not all of us have $1400 to fork over on a new mobo and new processer?

Where do you get $1400 from, Intel shows there fastest Conroe at around $500, probably another $300 for mobo and RAM, maybe a bit more.

Back