Switch From Windows to Linux

so... how many companies use android.... for anything? At all? the fact that it is on lots of devices means nothing. Companies will either use windows, solaris, or maybe linux. at least the ones I have worked for.
China I think wants to move away from windows... and if you have tablets, sure, they often will have android. otherwise....

Android could probably be a replacement for all those scanner guns running ancient versions of Windows Mobile (most common place to still see them is probably Target, but they were also used in warehouses), unless someone's still making new ones.

so... how many companies use android.... for anything? At all? the fact that it is on lots of devices means nothing. Companies will either use windows, solaris, or maybe linux. at least the ones I have worked for.
China I think wants to move away from windows... and if you have tablets, sure, they often will have android. otherwise....

I'm sure there are many companies making use of Android mobile devices. The fact that they are now more versatile as a potential desktop replacement makes them an even more attractive proposition. Same goes for iOS, with the advent of iOS 13 Apple have improved in leaps and bounds towards a true multitasking desktop replacement that's lean on power, lean on weight, fast, versatile and secure enough that it's comparatively immune to the 16 million malware strains released on the Windows platform each month.

As for your comment regarding Solaris, modern Solaris (if you can even claim that it still really exists at all) is very limiting and heavily controlled by Oracle in relation to it's use. I doubt anyone is using Solaris over Linux these days due to the more open source nature of Linux - As stated earlier, I know the VFX industry makes extensive use of Linux in relation to it's servers, clusters and workstations. Blender under Linux is roughly twice as fast as Blender under Windows.

The fact is, it's not 2003 anymore and desktop Linux has advanced considerably right up to the present, making it a very realistic and viable contender in the desktop market. The only thing keeping Windows in the game is the fact it's on the device when the user buys it, it's got nothing to do with the fact that it's a great OS.

The biggest problem I have with that article is the fact that they're promoting Linux Mint as a great introduction to Linux. Personally, I think Linux Mint sucks.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Nope, a desktop is basically an instruction set - AMD x64.

Yeah...No.

There's nothing to state that a desktop system has to run x64. If you honestly believe that to be true, than Windows 10 has no place on mobile devices and should be returned to a proper desktop OS with a proper desktop UI.

Made the switch to mostly Nix shortly after Xp launched, (Win for gaming Nix for everything else), came back after Vista SP1, never looked back at Linux again.

Of course there is always *someone* out there that has to ask... :) I just set up Linux Mint on a spare Ryzen 2700x / x470 /32Gb with an AMD 5700 XT for video, and haven't encountered any issues yet. Of course I'm not doing VR, but since you mentioned the Navi card I'm wondering what caveats you're aware of.

I moved my 5700 back to the HTPC as Vulkan is simply not working correctly. My good old 1070fe is a slower card but software support is better. It's been 6 months. I am no longer excited about new MESA or Linux kernel versions. Stuff just works. That's on Ubuntu 18.04. Manjaro won't even boot with a 5700 card...

As for VR, it's just that some titles don't work on Linux, while others do but their VR component does not. Yeah. Not moving back to Windows but there are problems

I moved my 5700 back to the HTPC as Vulkan is simply not working correctly. My good old 1070fe is a slower card but software support is better. It's been 6 months. I am no longer excited about new MESA or Linux kernel versions. Stuff just works. That's on Ubuntu 18.04. Manjaro won't even boot with a 5700 card...

As for VR, it's just that some titles don't work on Linux, while others do but their VR component does not. Yeah. Not moving back to Windows but there are problems

When we're talking about VR, we're talking about a niche of a niche. Personally, I think the fact VR works under Linux at all is very impressive - Especially when Windows native titles work using SteamPlay.

I stick to Nvidia and never have any problems.

Had Linux Mint (Cinnamon) installed on my laptop and ran it for quite a while. While it's OK for basic user needs such as quick access to email and web browsing, doing anything else a typical home user would do (like gaming or light productivity work) pretty much sucks.

Linux has come a very, very long way since the Y2K era of Mandrake. It has a long ways to go, yet.

For gaming one has to get a specialized simplified gaming distribution, Manjaro is the easiest one I can think of.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...this-is-the-desktop-linux-distro-to-beat/amp/

It should auto update most things automatically with a 6month + difference between new patches being created for the software layer used and actual distribution of said patches for the distro which gives it stability to avoid head aches of untested changes having possible negative side effects on the system.

Edit : it comes out with lots of compatibility options directly
https://manjaro.org/features/usercases/gamers/

Yes, it isn't perfect but is as close as possible for current Linux.
Highly recommended in general imho.

For gaming one has to get a specialized simplified gaming distribution, Manjaro is the easiest one I can think of.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...this-is-the-desktop-linux-distro-to-beat/amp/

It should auto update most things automatically with a 6month + difference between new patches being created for the software layer used and actual distribution of said patches for the distro which gives it stability to avoid head aches of untested changes having possible negative side effects on the system.

Edit : it comes out with lots of compatibility options directly
https://manjaro.org/features/usercases/gamers/

Yes, it isn't perfect but is as close as possible for current Linux.
Highly recommended in general imho.
I liked Manjaro, it's a good one to suggest. I'm digging Pop OS as well. It's been a great experience so far.

I honestly suggest, if anyone has the extra parts for a build to do a Linux box, it can't hurt. You don't have to replace your Widows systems, but at least give it a whirl. Then if you still have complaints, join the forums, help contribute to making it better instead of whining about how Linux failed your expectations

Yeap amd dropped the ball hard with the 5700 Linux drivers, only Ubuntu was supported and everyone else had to wait for Mesa 19.3, in the case of manjaro stable build that should come on the first two weeks of January.

Made the switch to mostly Nix shortly after Xp launched, (Win for gaming Nix for everything else), came back after Vista SP1, never looked back at Linux again.

There in lies the problem. Hundreds of different distributions along with 100x the opinions on what's good, bad or best for newbs. As a Windows admin I try it out on a yearly basis but still could not recommend it to the average person. Nothing against it, some great distros out there and runs most of the Internet backbone but as a desktop os, nope.

The biggest problem I have with that article is the fact that they're promoting Linux Mint as a great introduction to Linux. Personally, I think Linux Mint sucks.
Linux Mint is a good OS for those who are transitioning from Windows, because Linux Mint copies a lot of what Windows does.

There in lies the problem. Hundreds of different distributions along with 100x the opinions on what's good, bad or best for newbs. As a Windows admin I try it out on a yearly basis but still could not recommend it to the average person. Nothing against it, some great distros out there and runs most of the Internet backbone but as a desktop os, nope.
I feel the same about Windows honestly. How many different versions of Windows exist that people actually use? There's still people using Windows 7, 8, and now 10. Of those versions you have home, pro, ultimate, and etc. Now with Windows 10 you have different releases which can also cause issues. My sound card certainly doesn't like Windows 10 1903.

If you stick with the most popular distros you generally have less problems to deal with. I don't recommend Debian to people new to Linux despite how popular it is. Mint, Ubuntu, and PopOS is what most people should use when new to Linux. I can't say they'll be able to play the newest Windows games on Linux without issue, with all the tools that Linux now has like Proton and Lutris, but it can be done.

On the contrary, I actually install KDE Neon on client's PC's where they just cannot avoid infections under Windows due to the fact they're retarded and they use it perfectly, in fact they rave about it. My Wife and 10yo Daughter use my own KDE Neon based PC just fine, my Wife actually rolls her eyes at posts like this stating "It's not that bloody hard!"

Not attacking yourself, but being an enthusiast forum, I'm actually surprised at the attitudes of many here. These are operating systems made for the people by the people, they're secure, they respect your privacy, they're fast and software is plentiful - They're even able to run many win32 applications via Wine - There's really not much to hate regarding Linux once you get your head around the fact that not being a drop in Windows replacement is actually a good thing.

Last edited:
Linux Mint is a good OS for those who are transitioning from Windows, because Linux Mint copies a lot of what Windows does.

I actually think KDE Neon suits transitioning Windows users perfectly with more polish and less issues than Mint Cinnamon. The WM used by Mint has issues, it's always had issues that have never been fully resolved.

Nope, a desktop is basically an instruction set - AMD x64.

MS has ARM versions of windows.... and at one time they even had MIPS versions of windows. (its also possibly they make a future MIPS version, as its only a matter of time before China starts shipping their modern MIPS CPUs outside of China... MS will want to get in on that if they can.)

On the contrary, I actually install KDE Neon on client's PC's where they just cannot avoid infections due to the fact they're retarded and they use it perfectly, in fact they rave about it. My Wife and 10yo Daughter use my own KDE Neon based PC just fine, my Wife actually rolls her eyes at posts like this stating "It's not that bloody hard!"

Being an enthusiast forum, I'm actually surprised at the attitudes of many here.

[H] is pretty gaming centric, the attitude is about right when it comes to Linux.

If you define "desktop" as email and websurfing, Linux is fine. Gaming starts to "straddle" the usability factor. Targeted gaming distributions can ease the pain, as mentioned. Once you fall into major "issues" should that happen, Sysadmin level experience is what is going to pull you out. Package conflicts can be a nightmare, so going outside of the distribution packages for software is not for the novice. I love Linux, it's power but I still game on Windows. I want the performance out of the box and want it to just work, I've run game servers on Linux and it's a great server platform. It's just not a great desktop "Gaming" platform yet for the novice user.

Last edited:
[H] is pretty gaming centric, the attitude is about right when it comes to Linux.

There's one gaming sub and many hardware/software subs, I don't believe [H] is gaming centric.

Having said that, as a gamer I'm interested in a platform that improves the current state of gaming for everyone by removing the ridiculous vendor lock ins. I've found gaming under Linux to be very impressive and literally improving weekly.

If you define "desktop" as email and websurfing, Linux is fine. Gaming starts to "straddle" the usability factor. Targeted gaming distributions can ease the pain, as mentioned. Once you fall into major "issues" should that happen, Sysadmin level experience is what is going to pull you out. Package conflicts can be a nightmare, so going outside of the distribution packages for software is not for the novice. I love Linux, it's power but I still game on Windows. I want the performance out of the box and want it to just work, I've run game servers on Linux and it's a great server platform. It's just not a great desktop "Gaming" platform yet.

This may have been the case in 2014, it's not the case anymore. Package managers take care of everything and the idea of dependency hell is a relic of the past. I game using Steamplay and Lutris and experience very few issues, some titles require additional packages that can't be packaged with install scripts due to copyright limitations - But the issue is no harder to rectify that some of the problems I encountered gaming under Windows. It's not uncommon for titles under Windows to not work and as I stated earlier any issues I experience gaming under Linux are usually shared with Windows users.

That is actually my main gripe with Mint and their Cinnamon desktop. I have found people I introduce to Linux for the first time transition better if things are different enough to remind them that they are not on windows. Making everything look like windows sets expectations. If everything looks like I know why doesn't this one thing work like I expect.... this sucks. I prefer to sit new users in front of GNOME. I know a lot of people don't like Gnome but its the most logical place for new users to start imo. Its clean simple polished and for most people it feels like a cross between a good desktop and their phones which they already know. It is also the defacto default Linux desktop of all the major distributions. So although we all have a favorite. If a new user says I'll start with Ubuntu or Fedora or Suse cause they are the largest commercial Linux distros... the GUI they are going to deal with will be uniform.

I feel the same about Windows honestly. How many different versions of Windows exist that people actually use? There's still people using Windows 7, 8, and now 10. Of those versions you have home, pro, ultimate, and etc. Now with Windows 10 you have different releases which can also cause issues. My sound card certainly doesn't like Windows 10 1903.

If you stick with the most popular distros you generally have less problems to deal with. I don't recommend Debian to people new to Linux despite how popular it is. Mint, Ubuntu, and PopOS is what most people should use when new to Linux. I can't say they'll be able to play the newest Windows games on Linux without issue, with all the tools that Linux now has like Proton and Lutris, but it can be done.

Good point... Windows is fragmented as well. Windows fragmentation in many ways I find worse as many people are using old versions of the OS... with many even choosing versions with minimal security support. There may be 20+ very good new user Linux distros... but at least every single one of them is receiving daily security updates, and timely feature updates. People give Linux a hard time about fragmentation... but the software bits that make up the distros all pull from the exact same source. If your on Fedora or Ubuntu or Arch, Debian Suse or any other distro if your running Gnome... your on Gnome 3.34 right now and things are basically uniform. The Linux FHS means regardless of distro everything is where it is supposed to be. For most desktop distros these days are all the same... there package manager and software release schedules are the only major differences for the most part anymore. Ubuntu-Gnome vs Fedora-Gnome vs Manjaro-Gnome. The only differences are the package mangers used... and when and how often new versions of packages are pushed.

This may have been the case in 2014, it's not the case anymore. Package managers take care of everything and the idea of dependency hell is a relic of the past. I game using Steamplay and Lutris and experience very few issues, some titles require additional packages that can't be packaged with install scripts due to copyright limitations - But the issue is no harder to rectify that some of the problems I encountered gaming under Windows. It's not uncommon for titles under Windows to not work and as I stated earlier any issues I experience gaming under Linux are usually shared with Windows users.
Installing steam and calling it a day is not really delving into packages and package management. It's an overly simplistic case. Once you start compiling your own binaries and installing your own modules - it's a different story and beyond the scope of this thread. As mentioned - Game distributions keep you safe from such issues and that's why they exist.

I've been on windows since 95 so I'd like to break this nasty habbit and dabble, just downloaded virtual box for my vm,
would you recommend KDE Neon over Manjaro or Pop OS, looking for an easy transition. Also is wine used for for running win programs ?

Installing steam and calling it a day is not really delving into packages and package management. It's an overly simplistic case. Once you start compiling your own binaries and installing your own modules - it's a different story and beyond the scope of this thread. As mentioned - Game distributions keep you safe from such issues and that's why they exist.

Yeah, I prefer to play the games I want to play, not only the games the OS, like Linux, support or even work under.

That is actually my main gripe with Mint and their Cinnamon desktop. I have found people I introduce to Linux for the first time transition better if things are different enough to remind them that they are not on windows. Making everything look like windows sets expectations. If everything looks like I know why doesn't this one thing work like I expect.... this sucks. I prefer to sit new users in front of GNOME. I know a lot of people don't like Gnome but its the most logical place for new users to start imo. Its clean simple polished and for most people it feels like a cross between a good desktop and their phones which they already know. It is also the defacto default Linux desktop of all the major distributions. So although we all have a favorite. If a new user says I'll start with Ubuntu or Fedora or Suse cause they are the largest commercial Linux distros... the GUI they are going to deal with will be uniform.

Good point... Windows is fragmented as well. Windows fragmentation in many ways I find worse as many people are using old versions of the OS... with many even choosing versions with minimal security support. There may be 20+ very good new user Linux distros... but at least every single one of them is receiving daily security updates, and timely feature updates. People give Linux a hard time about fragmentation... but the software bits that make up the distros all pull from the exact same source. If your on Fedora or Ubuntu or Arch, Debian Suse or any other distro if your running Gnome... your on Gnome 3.34 right now and things are basically uniform. The Linux FHS means regardless of distro everything is where it is supposed to be. For most desktop distros these days are all the same... there package manager and software release schedules are the only major differences for the most part anymore. Ubuntu-Gnome vs Fedora-Gnome vs Manjaro-Gnome. The only differences are the package mangers used... and when and how often new versions of packages are pushed.

Windows is not fragmented, you have very few versions and only one newest one that works the same, no matter the hardware you are using today. On the other hand, Linux Desktop distributions, as fun as screwing around with them may be, are highly fragmented and have always been so. That is the result of how people want to be able to choose what they want, how they want, when they want, down to the tiniest detail, that is a fact.

Except compiling your own binaries is stuck somewhere in 2003, no one does that anymore.

Windows is not fragmented, you have very few versions and only one newest one that works the same, no matter the hardware you are using today. On the other hand, Linux Desktop distributions, as fun as screwing around with them may be, are highly fragmented and have always been so. That is the result of how people want to be able to choose what they want, how they want, when they want, down to the tiniest detail, that is a fact.

Not really. I come across software that runs under Windows 7 but not Windows 10 all the time in business - It's something that's becoming very apparent with Windows 7 reaching EOL. Furthermore, fragmentation under Linux is not the issue misinformed Windows users like to believe it to be.

I've been on windows since 95 so I'd like to break this nasty habbit and dabble, just downloaded virtual box for my vm,
would you recommend KDE Neon over Manjaro or Pop OS, looking for an easy transition. Also is wine used for for running win programs ?

I would recommend KDE Neon or any *buntu based distro, ChadD would recommend Manjaro. Spin them all up and see where your own preferences lie - That's the beauty of 'fragmentation', there's something for everyone and you're not locked down to the capitalist overlord's way of doing things. ;)

EDIT: Yes, Wine is used for the running of Win32 applications. It's surprisingly compatible, but code is a finicky thing so mileage may vary.

Not really. I come across software that runs under Windows 7 but not Windows 10 all the time in business - It's something that's becoming very apparent with Windows 7 reaching EOL. Furthermore, fragmentation under Linux is not the issue misinformed Windows users like to believe it to be.

Doesn't that software issue tend to be the software vendors or clients fault and not microsoft? Most of them I notice tend to not release updates, or the client doesn't want to spend money for updates so when the time comes and the end is nigh, the soon sol client cries a river about their software not having support.

Last edited:

That is rolling a lot of things into what someone considers a "OS"

Linux is not fragmented... as Linux is really a kernel and nothing more. (ok I know that isn't fair in a "desktop" conversation but its true)

If we go beyond that though... there are core systems people consider part of a desktop operating system.

Every major distribution uses the same Init system these days. People can bitch about it but SystemD is the defacto standard. ELSA->Pulse audio is the defacto sound system. CUPS is the Linux distro standard print server. The FHS means every distro has their system files in the same directory structure... as well as user created setting files. I don't care what distro your using your basic configuration files are going to be identical and located in the same place.

You are conflating user land software with OS. All those little bits you are referring to... are not OS bits they are free software that one distro chooses to bundle in their base install vs some other option included in another. The OS bones are identical on all distros. If you install base minimal versions of basically every major distro... you will find they are all identical, the difference really being the update schedule decided on by the maintainers of your chosen distros packages.

Except I am not a misinformed Windows user because I have used all the operating systems and have objective opinions. You do not have to agree in order for something to be so. Also, what does your first point have to do with what I said, since it appears to mean nothing to my point of fragmentation of Windows.

Until all Linux distros install software the same way using something like an exe I'll always consider it crap. I shouldn't have to compile anything myself or use the equivalent to the Google play store to install software. The Arch AUR is the best thing Linux has and it still sucks bigly compared to just downloading an exe and running it. This is just one example of how fragmentation is an issue on Linux.

Linux might actually be fine for the kind of idiot who can only handle android as long as they just use whatever the OS comes with, but for power users or anyone who wants to get things done it sucks. This isn't lack of knowledge on my part. I've used it on and off since 2002. Many things that are easy to do in Windows are harder or more work in Linux and that's a fact.

That is rolling a lot of things into what someone considers a "OS"

Linux is not fragmented... as Linux is really a kernel and nothing more. (ok I know that isn't fair in a "desktop" conversation but its true)

If we go beyond that though... there are core systems people consider part of a desktop operating system.

Every major distribution uses the same Init system these days. People can bitch about it but SystemD is the defacto standard. ELSA->Pulse audio is the defacto sound system. CUPS is the Linux distro standard print server. The FHS means every distro has their system files in the same directory structure... as well as user created setting files. I don't care what distro your using your basic configuration files are going to be identical and located in the same place.

You are conflating user land software with OS. All those little bits you are referring to... are not OS bits they are free software that one distro chooses to bundle in their base install vs some other option included in another. The OS bones are identical on all distros.

Except that all the distributions do not even work the same on a fundamental level.

Except that all the distributions do not even work the same on a fundamental level.

BS

Again ... one may choose to bundle a year old LTS kernel. And another may have a bleeding edge version. But Linux is Linux.

Yes having year old software can be a PITA if your trying to install the latest version of something bleeding edge like the latest version of DXVK or something. And the latest bleeding edge day old kernel may cause some issue with a 3 year old version of CUPS your distro has choosen to stick to or something. But if 2 distros are running the same versions of software they will run exactly the same.

I will agree that choosing the best Distro is confusing for Linux newbies. But it really comes down to choosing the proper release scheduled. Rolling / Semi Rolling / Fixed.... that is the biggest and most important decision to make. Unfortunately a lot of people imo advocate for silly things like people interested in Linux gaming install something like Ubuntu and run a bunch of PPAs bypassing their distros choose release scheduled. As scary as it seems to many people the best option for new users is Semi-Rolling.

Last edited:
Until all Linux distros install software the same way using something like an exe I'll always consider it crap. I shouldn't have to compile anything myself or use the equivalent to the Google play store to install software. The Arch AUR is the best thing Linux has and it still sucks bigly compared to just downloading an exe and running it. This is just one example of how fragmentation is an issue on Linux.

Linux might actually be fine for the kind of idiot who can only handle android as long as they just use whatever the OS comes with, but for power users or anyone who wants to get things done it sucks. This isn't lack of knowledge on my part. I've used it on and off since 2001. Many things that are easy to do in Windows are harder or more work in Linux and that's a fact.

Well, I do not think Linux Desktop is crap and the fact that you can install software, sometimes, from one place can be beneficial. However, Linux is fragmented and is a natural part of how the OS is distributed, just the way it is. I know you did not call Linux users idiots but, Linux does have a lot of good uses on the desktop for a lot of different reasons and sometimes, better. I just like the fact that there are multiple OSes I can screw around with and screw things up but, I will primarily use Windows 10 Pro as my default OS of choice.

Except I am not a misinformed Windows user because I have used all the operating systems and have objective opinions. You do not have to agree in order for something to be so. Also, what does your first point have to do with what I said, since it appears to mean nothing to my point of fragmentation of Windows.

I also use all operating systems and every one of your posts is blindly biased in support of Windows. Personally there's no way I'd consider your opinion to be objective at all.

No offense, but that's the reality of the situation, as evidenced by the fact you believe my first point has nothing to do with fragmentation. Windows has a .DLL translation layer and when software is coded in a way that it bypasses that translation layer compatibility issues exist between differing NT kernels.

Well, I do not think Linux Desktop is crap and the fact that you can install software, sometimes, from one place can be beneficial. However, Linux is fragmented and is a natural part of how the OS is distributed, just the way it is. I know you did not call Linux users idiots but, Linux does have a lot of good uses on the desktop for a lot of different reasons and sometimes, better. I just like the fact that there are multiple OSes I can screw around with and screw things up but, I will primarily use Windows 10 Pro as my default OS of choice.

And that 'fragmentation' is not a bad thing.

I also use all operating systems and every one of your posts is blindly biased in support of Windows. Personally there's no way I'd consider your opinion to be objective at all.

No offense, but that's the reality of the situation, as evidenced by the fact you believe my first point has nothing to do with fragmentation. Windows has a .DLL translation layer and when software is coded in a way that it bypasses that translation layer compatibility issues exist between differing NT kernels.

Well, perhaps I could throw something back at you and ask you why you always make things personal? ;) :D Also, I would consider myself more experienced then you in a great many things, although not everything, of course. My opinions are about as unbiased as they come, since I do not see things with horse blinders on, like I used to pretend I did 20 years ago.

Linux might actually be fine for the kind of idiot who can only handle android as long as they just use whatever the OS comes with, but for power users or anyone who wants to get things done it sucks. This isn't lack of knowledge on my part. I've used it on and off since 2002. Many things that are easy to do in Windows are harder or more work in Linux and that's a fact.

MSI installers (.exe's) are one of the biggest problems with Windows today. Personally I'll take a PPA or the AUR over some random .MSI from some obscure part of the internet anyday, some level of additional security is better than nothing and installing software via terminal is vastly superior to any GUI once you get used to it - Furthermore, it's in no way daunting or difficult.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Back