Surface Windows 8 Pro for $0

HardOCP News

[H] News
This has to be a typo. Microsoft hasn't updated the page so far, it still says the Surface Windows 8 Pro starts at $000. I'll take two please. Thanks to everyone that sent this one in.

*UPDATE* It's fixed now. :(

Meh, skip the keyboard dock and set something up yourself with a standard Notebook port multiplier. I can't wait until I can get one of these as a desktop replacement.

If they cut $200-300 off the price, it might be worth it...

Problem is its priced like an Ultrabook but has way less power, thats the bottom line, the demographic that might be interested in a mobile at this pricepoint would probably sooner buy an Ultrabody. I'd also venture nobody interested in doing actual work gives two craps about touchscreen,

Regardless this the Surface that needs to sell some units since the RT is effectively dead.

fuck that.

I'd rather get a regular laptop and a $199 tablet and sync the two

Problem is its priced like an Ultrabook but has way less power, thats the bottom line, the demographic that might be interested in a mobile at this pricepoint would probably sooner buy an Ultrabody. I'd also venture nobody interested in doing actual work gives two craps about touchscreen,

Regardless this the Surface that needs to sell some units since the RT is effectively dead.
It's actually in line with ultrabook pricing.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-43752B..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WQPFN7J5B1QMRZGMT5G

Same processor and RAM, but has a HDD instead of an SSD and while the screen is bigger, it's a significantly lower quality display and build quality, plus it doesn't have the Wacom active digitizer.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Serie...82PZ17C/ref=zg_bs_3269423011_7#productDetails
http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX31E..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0XCJJC5FD9FP0S8MNP3X

Closer, but missing the active digitizer, and again, you're trading size vs. portability and screen quality. Plus you're starting to go above the Surface Pro's price, even with the Type Cover.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Once you start adding in the SSD and a high resolution screen (at least 1600x900 or above), the price is going to jump past $1k+. It's not a low powered ultrabook, it's an average powered ultrabook with slightly below average battery life, but an excellent display and Wacom stylus. I'd love it if it had 8GB of ram (like the Helix will) and I think complaints about the current keyboards and stand are pretty fair, but I don't think you can criticize the power too much as long as you're talking ultrabooks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's actually in line with ultrabook pricing.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-43752B..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WQPFN7J5B1QMRZGMT5G

Same processor and RAM, but has a HDD instead of an SSD and while the screen is bigger, it's a significantly lower quality display and build quality, plus it doesn't have the Wacom active digitizer.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Serie...82PZ17C/ref=zg_bs_3269423011_7#productDetails
http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX31E..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0XCJJC5FD9FP0S8MNP3X

Closer, but missing the active digitizer, and again, you're trading size vs. portability and screen quality. Plus you're starting to go above the Surface Pro's price, even with the Type Cover.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Once you start adding in the SSD and a high resolution screen (at least 1600x900 or above), the price is going to jump past $1k+. It's not a low powered ultrabook, it's an average powered ultrabook with slightly below average battery life, but an excellent display and Wacom stylus. I'd love it if it had 8GB of ram (like the Helix will) and I think complaints about the current keyboards and stand are pretty fair, but I don't think you can criticize the power too much as long as you're talking ultrabooks.

Ultrabooks are sort a waste of money too and a digitizer is totally unnecessary if you're not trying to offset the disadvantage of not having a keyboard and touchpad. Plus, tablets are sort of uncomfortable to use since they don't hold up their own screens. The cost should be reduced just because they can't be used in a lap or pearched precariously on the armrest of a sofa as well as a device that is able to support its on screen with the lower half of itself.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ultrabooks are sort a waste of money too
You can think that all you want (this is essentially the same argument as gaming laptop vs desktop PC) but the loads of people buying MacBook Air's disagree with you. People, especially business people, are willing to pay a premium for portability.
and a digitizer is totally unnecessary if you're not trying to offset the disadvantage of not having a keyboard and touchpad.
It has a keyboard and touchpad. They're not great, but the Lenovo one coming later in February should cover that base (and the keyboard contains a battery, which should help with balance.)

The Surface Pro isn't the be all end all device, and I'm expecting it to be surpassed within a month, but writing off ultrabooks entirely when the Air has proven they'll sell and people are willing to pay for the form factor is silly.

Like I said before, it's akin to the silly argument of gaming laptops vs. desktop gaming machines. Power is no longer the #1 priority for most people.

You can think that all you want (this is essentially the same argument as gaming laptop vs desktop PC) but the loads of people buying MacBook Air's disagree with you. People, especially business people, are willing to pay a premium for portability.
It has a keyboard and touchpad. They're not great, but the Lenovo one coming later in February should cover that base (and the keyboard contains a battery, which should help with balance.)

The Surface Pro isn't the be all end all device, and I'm expecting it to be surpassed within a month, but writing off ultrabooks entirely when the Air has proven they'll sell and people are willing to pay for the form factor is silly.

Like I said before, it's akin to the silly argument of gaming laptops vs. desktop gaming machines. Power is no longer the #1 priority for most people.

Apple isn't Microsoft so sales of the MBA are not at all a good means of measuring sales of ultrabooks. Also, I'm sure a battery in the keyboard will do a great job of turning the tablet back into a laptop just like the one people already own while making it heavier than a 10 inch netbook. I'm bursting with excitement over this, heatlesssun alt.

First, way to be a dick.

Second, the entire point is that you've got a laptop and a tablet in one device, so you travel with a single system instead of two. And for the current generation, at little extra cost than getting an equivalent powered ultrabook.

You obviously don't care about it nor do you like ultrabooks (I'd assume you don't like tablets either because they're also too weak for your tastes), but you're not most people and I don't think you value portability the way many professionals do.

$0 is still too expensive I think. For putting up with such mediocre battery life, a lackluster and expensive keyboard, and the worst UI design in a decade Microsoft should be paying its users for the inconvenience.

At that price, I might consider putting up with Win 8, unless there's a way to upgrade it to Win 7.

I'd say you are wrong. Find a windows 8 laptop with 1080p screen and compare prices please.

The thing I like about it is more what I do not like about laptops: bulkiness. I currently use a laptop for tuning car PCMs. It's not fun driving around sports cars with a bulky machine in your lap. So to me, the form factor is perfect and the price is comparable...what else do I need? Do you think I want to game on it or something? Not. (BTW: Check prices on the Razor gaming tablet while your at it.)

I think the price is really reasonable...

Yes it doesn't match ipad price points, but let's face it your ipad cannot do anything near what this device can do, its not even in the same class of device as an ipad:

1080p actual Core i5 processor capable of running any windows application 4GB of RAM, USB 3.0, pen digitizer + capacitive touch, microsdxc slot, 64 or 128GB SSD, all in a 2 lb package.... sign me up.... (except I already have a samsung ativ pro which is practically the same thing but a bit bigger and can be used as a normal laptop without tipping over on your lap. retail $1200)

Compared to an iPad;
In terms of capability, it can't even be compared. Its just a question if you need the extra capability.

Compared to existing tabletpc devices;
You absolutely can't buy that kind of hardware at that weight class with pen digitizer for 899 anywhere else.

I say kudos to microsoft, except that this device has taken FOREVER to become available.

A tablet with a virus, way to go Microsoft. You were the true leader in that development for sure! :D

Is the ram upgradeable?
4GB is quite entry level. 8GB would have been better especially if there in no upgrade path. Perhaps a 16GB option available as well. C'mon, memory is cheap these days!

How do you figure that? So you think it should be the same price as an off contract high end smart phone?

Makes perfect sense to me.. :confused:

As an overpriced "high end" stupid huge profit margin "smart" phone? Sure. Anyone who pays $800 for a phone isn't really a sensible person.

You also have to remember that "worth" is relative. If someone doesn't desire certain features, they don't add value in anyway.

Back