Supreme Court Upholds Restoration of Copyright Protection

HardOCP News

[H] News
Here's an interesting bit on a new ruling made by the Supreme Court on copyright protection and public domain. Everyone with a high school education knows that public domain covers works that aren't trademarked or copyrighted anymore or have intellectual property rights that have expired. Well, the Supreme Court just ruled that even works that were formerly public domain can have its copyright restored. Imagine the cluster this is going to cause. :eek:

The ruling is controversial because it means that an as yet indeterminate number of works that were previously free to use by the public have now become protected works; this has lead some parties to believe that Congress has undermined the purpose of the Constitution’s Copyright and Patent Clause and also infringed on First Amendments rights by taking away what was previously freely available.

Now how on earth is this going to work. Let's see, I have something that is public domain and now becomes copyrighted again. So do I get grandfathered in or do I need to surrender the material? Who is going to keep track of this nightmare?

All those free books available on Amazon.com may now carry a price on them. That sucks. I got a lot of free poetry and recipe books from Amazon.com downloaded to my Kindle.

What about libraries and other free publicly available media?

This is a step backwards in my opinion. A definite step backwards.

If you try to use CURRENTLY copyrighted work, trademarked logos, etc. etc. etc. you are a retard.

Using works that have EXPIRED copyright, intellectual property rights, trademarks, etc. etc. etc. is normal. (that's how they became public domain)

Reinstituting rights AFTER they are already public domain is :confused:?!?!?!?!:confused:

Nobody should show any respect for copyright until they start showing respect for the public domain.

The clause: To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries

Where we are getting into trouble now is that we are ignoring the limited time provision - patents have 20 years which seems reasonable, but movies and the such seem to be getting closer to having infinite protection

Better hurry and buy up your favorite episodes of MST3K before some Hollywood asshat decides to re-copyright one of the movies they riffed. I can just imagine the ghost of Burt I. Gordon furiously filling out the forms now....

And so the copyright noose tightens.

It's going to get to the point where you literally can't do anything without paying someone. I'd rather abolish copyrights than deal with this crap.

This is going to cause a massive clusterfuck of problems for this country. Our already clogged court system will now be tasked with dealing with the future thousands or tens of thousands of lawsuits. Chalked up yet another bribery victory for corporate America.

With their works protected for the forseeable future what incentive is there really to even try anything else when you can just ride the wave of cash from your current portfolio?

What sucks is that the Supreme Court and Congress now seem to be in sync with each other so now there is no option for shitty laws to be overturned.

and we cant get these asshats out of office.. great.. fire them all top down, even local govs are getting seriously out of control.

next up, the constitutional amendment that voids the constitution.

The decision makes sense to me. If a work is under a form of copyright protection in another country then the U.S. should also enforce the copyright here. This doesn't seem to be about re-copyright.
In simple terms this means that if a work was protected in a member country but that protection was never recognized in the U.S., the work will now receive the protection that a U.S. work would have been granted. Additionally, U.S. works receive reciprocal protection in foreign countries.

Does this mean that everything all the way up to when the copyright laws were enacted are fair game for copyright protection?

The decision makes sense to me. If a work is under a form of copyright protection in another country then the U.S. should also enforce the copyright here. This doesn't seem to be about re-copyright.

So its this countries responsibility to enforce other countries laws in our own country as well? And you don't see a problem with that?

I am wondering if anyone actually read the article.

All this is doing is making it so that works that have been created in other countries can share the same copyright protections as works produced in the country.

Prior to this ruling, a person in a foreign country could create a copyrighted work in that country, and that copyright would not be honored in the US. That means that once that copyrighted work entered this country, it became public domain in this country.

What this ruling does is restore the copyright to works that should never have been in public domain to begin with. And saying it restores the copyright is a bit of a stretch, since the works were never given the opportunity to be copyrighted anyway.

So its this countries responsibility to enforce other countries laws in our own country as well? And you don't see a problem with that?

It is not enforcing other country's laws, it is enforcing our current US laws on content produced outside of this country.

Why yes I do think we should honor an agreement that we have with other countries that are members of the WTO. I take it you don't think we should be honorable in our dealings with other countries?

Why yes I do think we should honor an agreement that we have with other countries that are members of the WTO. I take it you don't think we should be honorable in our dealings with other countries?

No, I don't expect other countries to honor United States laws. If we have an agreement with international law then protect it under that law, don't make a new U.S. law for the same thing.

This is going to cause mass confusion. How far retroactive does the new law go? Who sets the monetary value on previous infringements that were previously legal?

It seems like lately, the past few years have been a slurry of laws to be very, very constrictive. We really need to be honoring our Constitution. I don't see why people think it's OK to just rule against it.

It seems like lately, the past few years have been a slurry of laws to be very, very constrictive. We really need to be honoring our Constitution. I don't see why people think it's OK to just rule against it.

Because we are so overpopulated that not enough people give two shits about it to have any real meaningful way of doing anything about it. All we can do is wait until it reaches the point that we end up overthrowing our own government. We have become the government that our founding fathers espcaped from and the document they created to prevent that from hapenning is being ripped up and thrown in the trash.

Because we are so overpopulated that not enough people give two shits about it to have any real meaningful way of doing anything about it. All we can do is wait until it reaches the point that we end up overthrowing our own government. We have become the government that our founding fathers espcaped from and the document they created to prevent that from hapenning is being ripped up and thrown in the trash.

Had a flashback to that Stonecutters episode from the Simpsons, change the Hallowed Sacred Parchment for the Constitution of the USofA and voila.

People need to start finding ways to counterweight this corporatist/fascist onslaught, donate to the EFF, either directly or through the humble bundle, and support any other similar institutions in the US and across the world.

I'm sorry to disappoint but by now corporations have pretty much the entire world by the balls.

This is so far the wrong direction it isn't funny. What needs to happen is for the US Patent Office and Copyright Office to be cleared out and all patents and copyrights nullified as part of a refresh on the system.

Copyrights need a 10 year from time of file duration and Patents need a 5 year from time of file life span after that the items need to be released to public domain. All patents need to be submitted with a working prototype or scale model. No patent should be granted for non tangible items such as "style", code of any sort, words, file formats, or phrases, any patent should be considered pending until a working final version is submitted to the patent office. No copyright should be granted for any media that shares similar story or plot with any other existing previous work, a complete final copy must be submitted for before a copyright is granted.

So now the US will get to waste our resources playing "Copyright Police" in every country, because no one else is gonna do it. Sadly it's our owned (as in corporately) law makers that cause these kinds of fiascos.

excuse me for a minute...

FUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuCK

So now the US will get to waste our resources playing "Copyright Police" in every country, because no one else is gonna do it. Sadly it's our owned (as in corporately) law makers that cause these kinds of fiascos.
War on drugs
War on terrorism
War on piracy

We sure do love our expensive and endless wars

Stupid US government and their stupid copyright fetish.

So does this mean that anything I've created and made public domain will now be owned by them? That's fucking retarded. So if I write a program and release it as open source, and I use that program, am I pirating? Like how is this going to work? Stuff is public domain because the creator chose to make it public domain, or because it expired.

Ok
I'll admit feeling a little like the game is fixed.
The people collecting royalties from the copyright need your money.
+
if you don't support consumerism you won't be a happy person.
So,
go out and buy, buy, buy!!!
I know none of you think this is the real thing,
but if you live in America,
you are going to follow the laws governing any material or conveyance the legislators can think of,
then a few they couldn't think of,
then be subject to the apparatus of war being turned inward,
monitoring,
prosecuting, and yes, when necessary even killing to apply those laws.
The future is here folks and if you think it's an exaggeration to say you will be so used to being monitored for compliance with dang near everything you ever thought you'd be subject to,
well you friends are in lala land.
This all started when we lost our terrific adversary, USSR
They were just great,
Russian MIGs, the largest sub, a 50 megaton warhead test that rivaled our very own.
It was hard to spend all the worlds riches on that pursuit,
and much more tidy spending those dollars at home.
So now we need laws to keep those men and women collecting paychecks.
At least the wholesale annihilation of the entire planet seems to be momentarily off the table.
Elitists at best, opportunists stripped bare. This used to be called fascism when coupled with national unity.
And you're worried about Mark Twain

Sooo...I could make some samples of things, or stock photos and release them as public domain. Wait for them to become popular, and "revert" them and lawyer up?

Sooo...I could make some samples of things, or stock photos and release them as public domain. Wait for them to become popular, and "revert" them and lawyer up?
Hell yeah. Just make sure you embed your name into everything.

Greedy corporations who don't want to pay for stock photos, art, music, sound effects, etc., will snap them up (and of course sue people who use their works that include your works). Then you can demand a giant cut + damages of anything they make. Plus you don't have to go to the expense of SELLING your work. Once they find out they're free (at first anyway...heh heh), they'll start using them right away.

The Liberals on the Supreme Court think the US Constitution should bow to foreign laws.

And so the copyright noose tightens.

It's going to get to the point where you literally can't do anything without paying someone. I'd rather abolish copyrights than deal with this crap.

Or as it seems, the government is hell bent on turning everyone into criminals so they can fill the newer for profit prison system.

War on drugs
War on terrorism
War on piracy

We sure do love our expensive and endless wars

The funniest part though.

War on drugs:

= Leaked documents stating the CIA was smuggling drugs into the country for profit.
= Leaked documents stating banks were laundering billions in drug cartel money.
= Troops guarding opium fields in Afghanistan
= etc

War on terrorism: (Where to start)

= False flag attacks on their own population
= Taking away freedom in the name of security
= Attacking country after country for their resources while stating everyone else is the terrorist
= etc

War on piracy:

= http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc

So with that said I agree with this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87ogFvraGT8

and this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0fGXzKb1o

But but but but but, don't you see? They're doing it for our own good! Protection and JOBS!!!

Back