Supreme Court Rejects Samsung Appeal of Patent Loss to Apple

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Reuters reports that the justices left in place a 2016 ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit that upheld a verdict that found South Korea’s Samsung Electronics Co Ltd had infringed Apple Inc’s patents on several popular features of the California-based company’s iPhone. Those included slide-to-unlock, autocorrect and quick links, which automatically turn information like addresses and phone numbers into links. Poor Samsung, I guess they need to innovate a bit more and not copy previous IP so much and they wouldn't get smacked down like this. Apple is about to be paid a cool $120 million.

In a dig at the patent court, Samsung told the justices in legal papers that they have “long served as the bulwark when the Federal Circuit tips the balance too far in favor of patent-holders’ rights at the expense of innovation and competition.”

$120 million, eh? That's like me having to pay off a $100 bet. Annoying, sure, but not devastating by any means.

So? Then Samsung will just raise it's prices on parts to Apple. Just a revolving door with these two.

I thought slide-to-unlock, autocorrect and quick links were all software features embedded in the OS, in other words, Android and not the phone maker Samsung, Motorola, etc.

I know my Motorola z2 Force has slide to unlock, autocorrect, and quick links. Still, if I am right, why sue Samsung and not Google.

My buddy seems to think that Apple is suing the phone makers because they are at the point of sale, the place where Apple claims damages from lost revenue, regardless if it is specifically Google's Android OS that is the real problem. And in this I tend to agree.

He also raises the point that if Apple wins against Samsung, the other smaller outfits will just fold and pay up without a fight, maybe.

Last edited:
Yeah Apple is so innovative... EDIT: haha I hadn't yet seen you posted this earlier.

Back