SuperMicro X9SAE/-V - Xeon IvyBridge C216 ATX

Hey I would just like to confirm with you that you did actually manage to have an i3 running ECC ram with an X9SAE motherboard. I am rather hesitant to purchase the motherboard because it does not officially support ECC on i3/i5/i7 processors but I read that you managed to have a system running with such a configuration? Also, which Kingston ram did you use specifically?

I have no verification that ECC is working 100% on the i3, but it boot and runs fine. I found out on researching ECC that it is supported by the motherboard chipset and ECC options are located in the chipset menu and not the memory menus.

other than this, it's all I know. I have my E3-1230V2 installed currently with 6870 video card and some kingston 2 x 4 GB 1333MHz ECC ram.

I've never been able to find a program that tests ECC functions

Luck
-=Mark=-

The memory controllers in the i3/i5/i7 _do not support_ ECC. That does not mean, however, that they will fail to function with such memory.

Since it was introduced, ECC memory falls back to not providing ECC when its not supported by the memory controller. That's why you can use ECC memory in systems that don't support its functionality.

That being said, its unwise to spend extra money for ECC memory for a system which will not support ECC functionality. Its a big waste of money. You want ECC functionality on Intel platforms, you have to buy a Xeon. AMD platforms, on the other hand, generally support ECC functionality no matter what CPU you use.

The "E3" is a Xeon which supports ECC functionality. The "i3" does not.

From what I read the i3 has ECC (look at Int'el's ark) and better yet all Celerons and Pentiums also do. I plan on putting a Celeron on that board, with 16GB ECC memory.

You can see that ECC is supported : http://ark.intel.com/products/71072/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G1610-2M-Cache-2_60-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/65693/Intel-Core-i3-3220-Processor-(3M-Cache-3_30-GHz)

On the i7 it isn't : http://ark.intel.com/products/65523/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Here a program to test ECC is working : http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1693051

I have a few specific questions, and I would really appreciate if someone who owns this board would TRY the following.

Add a discrete video card to one of these boards that is also populated with a XEON E3-12x5V2 CPU. Set the integrated GPU to be the main one is BIOS. Then, in Windows, can you attach displays to both the integrated port and the add on card, and have Windows see/use both? There has been a lot of back and forth about this topic, and many people talking about virtu and such. I have no interest in that. I must drive 5 monitors, and my add on card can drive 3. I want to know if the board will run the other two. I also do not want to just add another discrete card (since someone will probably suggest that), because I want to make use of Quicksync.

I spent a large amount of time discussing this with Bingel a few pages back. He sent a message to SuperMicro and the answer confirmed what I suspected originally. This board cannot support iGPU graphics when an offboard video card(s) is used:

Here, finally, the response from the Supermicro technical support:

My question:

I would like to know for sure if the motherboard in question (X9SAE) is able to support the simultaneous coexistence of a iGPU (graphics integrated in CPU) and a discrete video card so that you can possibly make use of NVIDIA optimus/sinergy technology or run the switch between the two GPUs without having to restart your pc and change BIOS settings.
In practice, I would like to install a XEON E3-1245V2 CPU (with HD4000 integrated graphics) and a NVIDIA QUADRO 2000 graphics card being able to use either the one or the other card, if necessary, without having to restart the computer and change the BIOS settings.

No matter if the currently, NVIDIA Synergy technology is still under development (this is only an example). I just want to know if the operating system (windows or linux) will be able to detect the presence of both the graphics processor and use them correctly loading drivers of both GPUs.

Their answer:

Currently there is no simultaneous support of onboard iGPU and video card. You'll have to make
the switch through BIOS settings.

The Asus P8C WS, on the other hand, has a BIOS setting that allows it. As in (from its manual):
"iGPU Multi-Monitor [Disabled]
Allows you to enable or disable the internal graphics device multi-monitor support for
the add-on VGA devices. Configuration options: [Disabled] [Enabled]
".

That's certainly not to say the P8C WS is a "better" board than the X9SAE with the C216 chipset; its lacking AMT support, it uses two identical lower range Intel network chips instead of the two different Intel network chips (one higher range) the X9 has, it has a worse sound chip, etc.. But if you need multi-monitor support that includes the CPU video (as opposed to multi-monitor support with offboard cards), its about the only option with the C2xx chipset.

From what I read the i3 has ECC (look at Int'el's ark) and better yet all Celerons and Pentiums also do. I plan on putting a Celeron on that board, with 16GB ECC memory.

You can see that ECC is supported : http://ark.intel.com/products/71072/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G1610-2M-Cache-2_60-GHz

http://ark.intel.com/products/65693/Intel-Core-i3-3220-Processor-(3M-Cache-3_30-GHz)

On the i7 it isn't : http://ark.intel.com/products/65523/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Here a program to test ECC is working : http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1693051

Oh I've looked at it...heh. A Celeron supports ECC? Interesting. The G16xx was just released, though (Q1'13); the only previous ones date from 2010. This link shows the only ones with ECC support; not all of them have it. And yes, I know ancient Pentiums do.

The question is about the i3/i5/i7. Apparently, they did release a few third generation i3 socketable chips in 2012 (and later) that support ECC (the 32xx series), who would of thought. Those in the link are the only ones that have it (again, not all third generation i3s do). Didn't realize that, sorry. Quite odd really; they don't have any third generation i5 or i7s (other than a couple of solder-in-only i7s) with ECC support thanks to Intel wanting market segmentation. Guess they let a couple of modern Celerons and i3s through a crack in that segmentation.

Last edited:
Managed to get fixed with help from guys in the Oracle forum. [...Solaris 11.1...] System now boots fine if I disable Intel VT-D in the bios;
-> Integrated IO Configuration
-> IIO Revision L1/P0/E1/NO
->Intel VT-d [Disabled]
So you can not run VT-d with Solaris 11.1??? It sucks, because I run VirtualBox ontop Solaris. And I have understood it, you need VT-d for best virtualization performance. Or?

VT-d is only needed for PCIe device passthrough. What you generally want for virtualization is VT-x, which almost all boards support. VirtualBox does not even support VT-d.

Hi all,
I have the following problems with the motherboard in question (X9SAE single 16x slot):

1) What is FAN A (I/O) header? Is it a specific header for case fans or for cards fans?
2) I connected two PWM fans (for the case) at 2 headers (no FAN A) and in the bios I set "optimal" as fan control. Sometimes I turn on the pc and the management is working properly, while at other times the fan revolutions increase up to the maximum then decrease up to the minimum in a continuous loop and never stop. This happens regardless of operating system.
If I select "standard" does not change anything. Only "full speed" option seems to work properly.
3) I have 2 GPU: a discrete NVIDIA video card (GTX650TI) and an integrated Intel GPU (Xeon E3-1245V2). If in BIOS, I select the "off-board" all is right (I have output from nvidia card) but if I select "onboard" whitout phisically unmounting the discrete board, I have no output from the intel gpu.
Instead, If I select "onboard" and nvidia is phisically unmounted, I have output from Intel GPU.

Intel GPU is connected throught HDMI cable while NVDIA through DVI.
My bios is updated at the most recent version.

I noticed that the fan problem occurs after removing power to the computer (unplugging the power cord or turning off the UPS).

To put the things right, you need to enter the bios and reload the defaults then rerun any changes that will affect us.

A real pain!

Have you noticed that many web sellers incorrectly display the X9SAE on pages selling the X9SAE-V ?

I need the latter as I want 8X and 4X PCIe and not a 16X, so it's a concern.

1) What is FAN A (I/O) header? Is it a specific header for case fans or for cards fans?

The X9SAE has 2 PWM controllers, one controls FAN A and the other one FAN 1-4. By using the appropriate software to command the 2 controllers the speeds can be differentiated. I use Fan A for hard drives cooling while I use the others for GPU/CPU/case cooling with SpeedFan (Microsoft OSes) and fancontrol (GNU-Linux)

2) I connected two PWM fans (for the case) at 2 headers (no FAN A) and in the bios I set "optimal" as fan control. Sometimes I turn on the pc and the management is working properly, while at other times the fan revolutions increase up to the maximum then decrease up to the minimum in a continuous loop and never stop. This happens regardless of operating system.
If I select "standard" does not change anything. Only "full speed" option seems to work properly.

If the fan speed goes bellow 300RPM, the integrated motherboard security increase the fan rotation to the highest value for a short time. Hence, if you use big PWM fan 12/14 cm able to go to very low rotation speeds (Noctua) the fan will "waver" between requested speed (as set by BIOS or software) and maximum speed.

As a solution I suggest software fan control, maximum speed in the BIOS and a mail to supermicro to ask for a mode in the BIOS where you can set your own minimal PWM value.

3) I have 2 GPU: a discrete NVIDIA video card (GTX650TI) and an integrated Intel GPU (Xeon E3-1245V2). If in BIOS, I select the "off-board" all is right (I have output from nvidia card) but if I select "onboard" whitout phisically unmounting the discrete board, I have no output from the intel gpu.
Instead, If I select "onboard" and nvidia is phisically unmounted, I have output from Intel GPU.

Sorry, no answer for this one

Cheers,
--
Xoby

Has someone tested the Rmote Management capabilities for this mb, in cluding KVM redirection? How they are, particularly compared to BMC capabilities of typical intel 1155 server boards?

Right now I own an Intel s1200btlr, and I'm undecided: to go for another s1200 or to purchase this board...

I also have a cacophony of beeps every time it starts and curious codes like 99 and B4. Seems to work fine though. Issues:
- cannot get onboard hd4000 in my e3-1245v2 to work at the same time as my evga GTX460.
- BIOS has setting for onboard and offboard display priority. Default is offboard. If I remove my video card and set this to onboard, the intel HD4000 does not work!! I interpret onboard to mean the HD4000.
- I would like to use AMT 8.0 kvm with this, which requires the use of the on-CPU graphics. For performance reasons I have a GTX 460 as well. I have two displays. I would like the boot logo and BIOS to appear on the HD4000-connected display and when Windows loads I would like it on the GTX 460-connected display with the HD4000 as secondary. I have not been able to accomplish this.
I wonder whether the 10/5 BIOS mentioned before will fix any of these issues. Thanks for any insights. Supermicro tech support told me that you can not use on- and offboard graphics simultaneously. One of the reasons I bought this board was the iAMT 8.0 capability so I can fiddle with BIOS remotely.

Hi all,
I have the following problems with the motherboard in question (X9SAE single 16x slot):

My bios is updated at the most recent version.

I am having similar issues. I have a Xeon E3-1245v2 and an AMD Radeon HD 7850. If I change the VGA priority (in the PCIe BIOS menu) to onboard, the system simply won't boot, whether my discrete GPU is unplugged or not. (Five medium beeps after the initial quick/normal POST beeps.) If I change it to offboard, the system will use either the IGP if the GPU is unplugged or the GPU if it's plugged in. I can not use the IGP on the CPU if the AMD GPU is plugged in under any circumstance, which is pretty detrimental to me (I would have just gotten a CPU without the IGP if I knew that were the case).

The issue here isn't really using the GPU and the IGP "simultaneously", so much as the system booting and displaying from the IGP with the GPU simply plugged in and idle. It doesn't make sense to me that the BIOS priority option exists if this feature doesn't actually work in practice.

I'm also wondering if this board will be able to handle two discrete GPUs. I figure I'll cut my losses on the IGP and pick up a second GPU for what my original purpose was--to pass through a single GPU using Xen's newly-established PCI pass-through features (something I'd be able to do, presumably, if I were able to boot the system using the IGP and not the GPU). I'd appreciate any advice or input.

What version should I take? I will be adding a Nvidia Titan (PCIE3 x16, in x16 slot) to it, and a IBM ServeRaid 1015 (PCI2 x8, in x8 slot)

- SuperMicro X9SAE
- SuperMicro X9SAE-V

I feel that the non-V would be better.. but im not completely sure about this...

I am having similar issues. I have a Xeon E3-1245v2 and an AMD Radeon HD 7850. If I change the VGA priority (in the PCIe BIOS menu) to onboard, the system simply won't boot, whether my discrete GPU is unplugged or not. (Five medium beeps after the initial quick/normal POST beeps.) If I change it to offboard, the system will use either the IGP if the GPU is unplugged or the GPU if it's plugged in. I can not use the IGP on the CPU if the AMD GPU is plugged in under any circumstance, which is pretty detrimental to me (I would have just gotten a CPU without the IGP if I knew that were the case).

The issue here isn't really using the GPU and the IGP "simultaneously", so much as the system booting and displaying from the IGP with the GPU simply plugged in and idle. It doesn't make sense to me that the BIOS priority option exists if this feature doesn't actually work in practice.

I'm also wondering if this board will be able to handle two discrete GPUs. I figure I'll cut my losses on the IGP and pick up a second GPU for what my original purpose was--to pass through a single GPU using Xen's newly-established PCI pass-through features (something I'd be able to do, presumably, if I were able to boot the system using the IGP and not the GPU). I'd appreciate any advice or input.

I just wanted to post a quick update and say--without going into too much detail--that Supermicro has the best support of any computer hardware manufacturer that I've dealt with, and that it turned out that all I needed to fix my issue was a simple update from BIOS revision 2.00 to 2.00a. (I didn't realize that the 2.00a offered on Supermicro's site was different from what my motherboard shipped with, which was reported in the BIOS as 2.00.)

Some more good news: PCI/VGA pass-through also works as expected with the X9SAE-V, meaning that I can display a Linux system on one monitor with the Intel HD 4000 and a Windows guest VM on another monitor using my Radeon HD 7850, complete with full hardware graphical acceleration, all from the same system. Pretty awesome. :D

Some more good news: PCI/VGA pass-through also works as expected with the X9SAE-V, meaning that I can display a Linux system on one monitor with the Intel HD 4000 and a Windows guest VM on another monitor using my Radeon HD 7850, complete with full hardware graphical acceleration, all from the same system. Pretty awesome. :D
Way cool! How do you do this? Linux and Windows are both virtualized under ESXi? Or is it VirtualBox? And they can both speak to each other via TCP/IP?

A question: does anyone know if HD4000 works under Solaris?

Last edited:

Is it also possible to do it the other way around? Use a discrete card with the host OS and the IGPU with the guest? I guess it will not work as the BIOS disables the IGPU when booting with a discrete card.

Are you virtualizing with Xen?

Also, how you managed to get discrete card working, if bios disables it at boot when one selects p4000 as primary adapter? Thanks!

I don't think BIOS can completely disable a discrete card. The virtualized BIOS will again call the init interrupt of the card. This is a bit different for the IGPU, which can be switched off completely and (I suppose) will not be reported as a PCIe device.

Hi,
Sorry to butt in on a slightly old thread, but hopefully someone who has either of the X9SAE boards will be able to answer this for me: is the onboard HDMI output dual-link (ie. able to support 2560x1600?). I couldn't find any mention in any of the literature.

I know the Asus P8C-WS only has a single-link DVI port capable of 1920x1200, despite the P4000 graphics reportedly supporting higher res.

It's currently this doubt which is holding me back from going E3-1275v2 / X9SAE and not bothering with discrete graphics (that and whether to wait for Haswell chips).

What version should I take? I will be adding a Nvidia Titan (PCIE3 x16, in x16 slot) to it, and a IBM ServeRaid 1015 (PCI2 x8, in x8 slot)

- SuperMicro X9SAE
- SuperMicro X9SAE-V

I feel that the non-V would be better.. but im not completely sure about this...
back in september I emailed supermicro about using a 16x GPU card and they replied with the following
X9SAE-V does not support a 16x PCI-E graphics card in the top PCI-E 3.0 x8 in x16 slot. You need the X9SAE with PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot.

I asked them to elaborate but never received a response
I purchased the X9SAE and it works with GTX 670 in the 16x slot

My short practical note on SuperMicro X9SAE-V:

On my X9SAE-V installed Intel Xeon E3-1245V2 + 4x8Gb Kingston ECC DDR3 KVR16E11/8.

After purchase BIOS has version 2.0 and was buggy...
I couldn't get it working with two video cards, with just one IGPU or just with off-board PCI-E VGA system boots good, but attempt to get both video adapters active led to system halts during boot POST.
Choosing off-board video card in BIOS I've got output on IGPU, choosing on-board or PCI-6-slot card I've got no video output, even installing of simple S3Trio64V+ in PCI slot didn't help. After getting any problem with video it was necessary to reset BIOS configuration with "jumper".
And even when system booted with IGPU i've got no other video card visible in output of lspci under Linux.

Then I upgraded BIOS to the version 2.0a, latest available on SuperMicro site, and got much better result!
Version 2.0a allows explicitly enable or disable IGPU, allows explicitly choose which video (on-board or off-board) will be used as primary/boot.
Choosing on-board video card I get output via IGPU, choosing off-board video I get output from PCI-E video card, when I boot I can see both video cards (VGA adapters) in output of lspci under Linux.
All works fine.
Anyway, BIOS 2.0a still buggy: sometimes something gets corrupted in BIOS configuration area and, for example, after changing a lot of options and returning them back I can't get back PXE boot options for integrated NIC as they are just not shown anymore, just UEFI lefts working for booting and UEFI doesn't see NIC to try to do something with them. To boot again from PXE I had to reset BIOS configuration again and start all over from scratch.
It is impossible to disable integrated on-board Intel HDA audio card, just no corresponding option in BIOS.

Next I installed KVM and installed Windows 7 under KVM. It works flawlessly, as expected.

Then I started to pass through PCI devices into KVM.
One of USB 2.0 controllers passed inside flawlessly and second attached USB keyboard and mouse started to work in KVM.
Then I passed through VGA and Intel HDA controllers.
NVidia Quadro NV 290 became visible from Windows side but drivers won't recognize it and it was not usable for work. After replacing NVidia with ATI RV620 LE [Radeon HD 3450] and installing Catalyst drivers from AMD site windows successfully used video card and Windows 7 showed me performance rank 4.1 for my computer.
Last thing was Intel HDA. After downloading from SuperMicro site drivers for X9SAE-V integrated audio card it started to install Realtek hardware drivers. After installation of audio drivers window 7 won't boot anymore :) showing me BSOD with IRQ_EQUAL_OR_LESS STOP-message.
I don't have PCI-E audio-card yet, will try to get it soon and try to pass through, but overall impression is good.
Dual system configuration is working, both IGPU and discreet VGA are working together well.
Passing through NIC (integrated or off-board) doesn't tried yet, I will try it later.

There are only one disadvantage left: if windows in KVM rebooted (due to driver install or system fix/upgrade, or just user initiated a reboot) whole system (KVM hypervisor) hangs. I.e. all other KVM's are hung too and all needs to be resetted. But this is a bug in a software and I hope it will be fixed soon.

pasichnichenko,

Do you remember what BIOS settings you have set to get both the iGPU and a passthrough card running?

I just upgraded from a 1230v2 to a 1245v2 so I could play with the new BIOS and hopefully use the iGPU with AMT and/or KVM/IP for remote access with my 7950 passed through to a win7 VM on ESXi 5. I updated the BIOS to 2.0b and have tried a number of settings, the ones I recognize as relevant and what I've tried are listed below. So far no matter what I've done, with the 7950 set up for passthrough to my win7 VM, on boot to ESXi the display through the iGPU progresses until it freezes at "CNIC_REGISTER". I can connect with vsphere a minute or two later, but attempting to start the VM with the 7950 passthrough will bluescreen due to atikmpag.sys.

VT-d - enabled
ASPM - disabled
PCI Express Port - tried disabled/enabled/auto
PCI Express Port GenX - auto
iGPU - all default settings, 256MB/64MB/256MB/Low Power mode enabled/performance analyzers disabled
PCI-E Slot 6 OPROM - tried enabled/disabled, 7950 is in slot 6
Boot Graphics Adapter Priority - set to onboard

The next things to try are BIOS 2.0a vs 2.0b, doing a full reinstall of the win7 VM. I'm not using USB passthrough so I'll also try both 5.0 and 5.1 installs to see if that makes a difference...

Previously with the 1230v2 and esxi5, it was working for many months with a 5870 and then a 7950 passed through on esxi 5.0, just I didn't have any console access to the esxi install.

I need to install windows 7 ult x64 to my system as whs2011 doesn't support wmc.

Anyway, I am trying to use UEFI installation and it just wont boot for me.

I thought it was my flash drive, but if I put it in my Q87 board, it boots fine.

I have the latest 2.0b BIOS installed. Not sure if it is a BIOS setting or not.

I set AHCI and UEFI Only like I always do, but nothing on this C216 chipset.

Any ideas what may be wrong?
-=Mark=-

I fixed it, I needed to set UEFI Only in the bios. It was Legacy and UEFI and it was defaulting to Legacy.

I also found out you need secure boot enabled as well.

Back