SuperMicro X9SAE/-V - Xeon IvyBridge C216 ATX

They do fit into 1U Chassis.
CSE-113TQ-R500UB
CSE-813T-600UB
CSE-815TQ-R500UB

Revision K Chassis is special made for these UIOs, a slight change of an ATX is what I am seeing.
25.6" depth is too big for me. I really wish they would build an ATX version and have an OC type BIOS, even if it is Intell-ish and slightly arthritic.

I am building a 1U 17.1" ATX Chassis with the Z77 and i7 3770k CPU.
I really like Asus but I see too many RMAs right now.

I dont want any UIO motherboard such as X9SPU-F. As I have understood it, they only fit into an UIO chassis. I have an ATX chassis, so it wont work for me.

I have heard that this X9SAE/-V is C216 mobo in ATX form factor. Which is what I look for. Regarding this X9SAE/-V, SuperMicro in Netherlands wrote today, the below. What does that mean? "Sample"?

"Hello Sir,
X9SAE/-V has sample now. You can get the sample from our local distributor. The production release will be at 1st week of July 2012.
Thanks.
Best Regards,
Ken Wo"

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/Xeon_X9.cfm?pg=MB

nDlBU.png

Yes!!! Thanx! :)

EDIT: it has two Intel NICs, what is the difference between them? And, it seems that either you have one x16 PCIe v3 or
two x8 PCIe v3 slots? I must choose between X9SAE or X9SAE-V? Hmmm... what do you suggest? Is it better to have one x16 or two x8 slots?

It also seems there is only IPMI in the X9SCA-F? Does that mean the X9SAE derivates does not have IPMI? Well, I am a home user, so I will not have any use of IPMI, no? Or are there home user cases when IPMI is good?

I can't wait for this board either... then I am going to build a ZFS file server with ECC ram and house a bunch of data connected via Ethernet or WiFi to a win7pro laptop and a win7ult desktop

Last edited:
I can't wait for this board either... then I am going to build a ZFS file server with ECC ram and house a bunch of data connected via Ethernet or WiFi to a win7pro laptop and a win7ult desktop
Me too! :) I am doing exactly the same thing!

I first considered the ASUS P8C WS mobo, which also is C216, but after talking to mradebel and mwroobel I reconsidered. I want SuperMicro. Look here about ASUS:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1699092

Which model are you going for? The X9SAE or the X9SAE/-V? I think I prefer the x16 PCI-e. I can insert a fast graphics card for gaming, or doing heavy GPU computations. So X9SAE it will be for me.

EDIT: it says:
"1 (x16) PCI-E (X9SAE) or 2 (x8) PCI-E 3.0 (in x16) (X9SAE-V),"
What does it mean? It says two (x8) in (x16)? I dont understand this.

Last edited:
I never. never use dual gpus, personally I think they are stupid and its a waste of space, heat, and electrical energy.

So I would prefer the X9SAE with one really nice PCI-E, which I won't be using anyway - going to use the onboard intel graphics

two (x8) in (x16) means that the X9SAE-V has 2 Pci-e ports... each rated at a theoretical x16 as per the PCI-E 3.0 spec. However, if you plug a card into each slot/port(whatever you want to call it) then each card will be throttled to x8 rather than x16.

Pretty sure I am right about this... but please if I am wrong please let me know, because technically speaking this is just conjecture.

I'll probably underclock the CPU (if it nets me power savings)
for sure have 8 gb ECC RAM (I know 8 gb will not be required, but 4 gb sticks are relatively cheap)
put it into an old Lian Li black box... the A15 or A17 not sure which and it isn't worth the time to look up the information (its full ATX)
Have a few 2 tb hdds (HGST or Western Digital Blacks)
ZFS them together

Setup an external slot loaded HDD back up and a process that will either rip the data raw, or compress the data and then store on a 3tb or 4tb hdd or a 2tb if the compression is good enough. Backups will occur whenever I feel like it, or on some arbitrary schedule.

This is exactly what I want also.
The Graphics on die are more than I will need.
Does anyone have any idea about the BIOS, and if I can jump up the RAM speed..?
From my experience, when using x64 and 24GBs on the MSI board, I had to undervolt the RAM so W7 would recognize all of the DIMMs packed.
I would like to see 32GBs running at least at 1600, and want to use the 1.35v Samsung 30nm since I have a 1U ATX.
I still have an ancient P4SCT+II with a 3.4EE Northwood that works like a charm.
Supermicro really has very thorough QC and I haven't seen an RMA from them ever.
But the less pipes, the less plumbers I suppose.

Sure wish I could see the BIOS. Last time I checked, they were starting to add miniscule Overclocking which is fine by me. Just want a super fast memory sub system.

Nice Find Thanks.....

Ok, maybe it could be that the difference between X9SAE and X9SAE/-V is that one of them has graphics, and the other not. Probably both models have two x16 slots. We need to gather more information.

I am going to use this chassis. Tiny, but still fits a huge graphics card, and six 3.5" disks and two 2.5" disks.
http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=611&cl_index=1&sc_index=0&ss_index=0&g=f
The slightly bigger brother is called PC-V750 and fits in EATX.

I suspect 32GB RAM will work without problems, this is Supermicro, and they are quality. I heard. :)

Ok, mid of July it seems. I hope it wont be august. From SuperMicro:

"Thanks for interested in our MB, the answer of your question is “Yes”, we have one ATX MB come with C216, its name is X9SAE, it is not available but coming soon, estimated launch schedule is mid. of July."

Not to threadjack or anything... Spent the last couple hours looking at different chipsets/motherboards/cpus... Is there a C216 chipset server board in a micro-atx form factor that's being built or is in circulation?

edit:// it needs to have a x16 pcie slot on it too... The closest I've found would be the Advantech AIMB-582 and the IEI IMB-C2160... I know nothing about these companies however. Any ideas?

Last edited:
The Advantech with it's cheap upwards facing SATA connectors is cutting corners and could get in the way of mid or full length cards.
IEI doesn;t have a close up, but I would ask Supermicro if they plan on releasing a mATX.
Their boards NEVER have any issues, but do lack the typical bells and whistles prosumers enjoy.
Foxconn, Intel, Tyan and Supermicro are always mission critical boards, boring but stable as the sunrise in the East.

I caved and bought a ASRock Z77E-ITX online just like an hour ago actually.

It's got the E3 1245 V2 listed on the compatibility list and the board itself supports VT -d and other virtualization type stuffola. I've got an email into ASRock right not trying to determine if the board will support some Wintec server ram if the connected CPU does. There's some kingston ECC listed on the board's memory compatibility list. I just don't wanna buy some $200 fancy server ram and find out it won't post... :/

If I get into server stuff a little more i'll definitely build my next rig mATX.

Any chance any of you fine individuals would know if [this] is compatible with [this]?

Why do you want mATX? The Lian Li PC-V700 is 20 x 40 x 50 cm. It is tiny and you can fit in powerful stuff. I first considered mATX, but then I must sacrifice too much. I must buy special hardware, too expensive and less powerful. Now I can go for normal very powerful hw, which is cheaper too. There are ATX chassis, slightly larger than mATX - but gives you the full monty.

Why do you want mATX? The Lian Li PC-V700 is 20 x 40 x 50 cm. It is tiny and you can fit in powerful stuff. I first considered mATX, but then I must sacrifice too much. I must buy special hardware, too expensive and less powerful. Now I can go for normal very powerful hw, which is cheaper too. There are ATX chassis, slightly larger than mATX - but gives you the full monty.

The board I picked up is actually a mini-itx board. I was considering building a micro atx so I could fit an NIC in it along with some other stuff.

It's okay, it's done now. Currently just trying to figure out memory.

Foxconn, Intel, Tyan and Supermicro are always mission critical boards, boring but stable as the sunrise in the East.
Interesting.

So is common consensus that these four are high quality motherboard vendors? Or do some of you disagree?

I have heard lot of positive things about SuperMicro, so SM should be good. But the rest of these vendors? Which vendors besides SM, are high quality?

Question: The mobo has 4 DIMM slots. Each takes 8GB so in total 32GB RAM.

In the future, when 16GB are common, what would happen if I dropped in 16GB dimm? Would it suffice with a BIOS upgrade and then I would have 64GB RAM? Would a bios upgrade make it possible?

This board looks great, I just fired off a bunch of questions to Supermicro about it, will post back if I hear from them.

Got a reply, still on track for mid July, the bad news is it wasn't a typo about IPMI, it is not built in to either of these motherboards. I sent a follow up email to find out if Intel's AMT is enabled (roughly equivalent to IPMI), hoping so.

Got another email, apparently AMT should work. The big letdown though is you cannot use the integrated video inside the CPU, apparently they have no VGA or other ports.

I read this. Let me see if I understand this correctly.

IPMI is for remote handling of a server. It is similar to a simple OS, and I can install Solaris via the IPMI OS. But if I am a home user, sitting next to my PC, then I dont need remote handling of my server. So IPMI is not interesting for a home user. If you are managing a server far away, in a server hall, then you are interested in IPMI, because you dont have to driver your car to the server to handle it.

And if Intel AMT is similar to IPMI, then a home user is not interested in EMT either.

Is my understanding correct?

I plan to use mine at my house but find IPMI useful so I can manage it if I am away, or if I don't want to go down and deal with it by hand.

I will use an Nvidia card, so I am not interested in integrated video.

Any news on this card yet?

Ya I decided not to bother with it and ordered a Tyan S5512GM4NR, we'll see how it does.

Got this mail today from SuperMicro:

"We are trying to do beta release this week."

What does that mean? Do they really sell beta mobos? Who will buy beta hardware, it can not be upgraded as software can be?? I dont get it.

I bet they're trying to ensure that the 32GB loads work as advertised.
Intel boards use to be my favorite, other than Supermicro, but the DZ77 is a problem with the tested RAM using 32GBs, even though it is advertised using certain 8GB DIMMs.
I figured the i7 3770k is a lower binned CPU compared to Xeons, and the Z77 is lower binned than the C260 chipset, but to advertise the RAM has been tested, and many folks are saying it doesn't work is unacceptable.
Plus, I asked the 3 different chaps who talked the talk to show screenshots, and which settings they were using to get 32GBs @ CAS11 and 1600MHz......
Guess they had time to write lengthy replies, but those screenshots are really time consuming.............QUACK!!!

If anyone is using 32GBs on any board with the Z77 I'd love to know as I would buy it right away, but I suspect it will take a Xeon and C260 to pull off that luxury..:D

The X9SAE/-V is around $200 which is cheapest by far.

"Release in the beginning of July"? Sigh.

The DFI CL630-DRM is priced at $422. The IFI is a similar price.

Presently, DFI is the only available motherboard. And the price is much more lower than you mentioned.

It takes about month to get X9SAE and two months for IEI.

Back