Super Mario Odyssey Becomes Nintendo’s Fastest-Selling Super Mario Game Ever in U.S.

It has been my belief for a long time, that quality of play (fun factor) is more important that quality of graphics (eye candy). This seems to be something Nintendo gets.

Does nintedo get it?

See - Wii U.

Not sure how this is relevant to the Switch or Nintendo at this point at all given that Wii U is EOL.

Do you need to be spoon fed? Why if nintentdo is so focused on the quality of play/funfactor as that poster claims, did they release consoles like the Wii U? They also failed with the Cube.

I have a few hours on Odyssey.

It's the first game to really remind me of the game for Nintendo 64.

Very exciting.

Do you need to be spoon fed? Why if nintentdo is so focused on the quality of play/funfactor as that poster claims, did they release consoles like the Wii U? They also failed with the Cube.

Got it, you hate Nintendo.

highest rated... it's alright i guess. I played a few hours and then got sidetracked playing fortnight.

I think the sales are a reflection of the lack of diversity for switch. Everyone that has one is almost forced to buy any AAA title or leave their switch sitting in the closet.

Same, I played about 15 minutes which to be honest is about what I give every game I have for the Switch and I have purchased almost every physical and have lots of pre-orders. The switch is fantastic, I love it but I just can't get into games like I could when I was younger. I am 47 now and I just have no attention span.. it's annoying.

Oh well, I keep buying games for some day when I am in the mood. I can't even play Stardew Valley without thinking I am messing up somehow.

Same, I played about 15 minutes which to be honest is about what I give every game I have for the Switch and I have purchased almost every physical and have lots of pre-orders. The switch is fantastic, I love it but I just can't get into games like I could when I was younger. I am 47 now and I just have no attention span.. it's annoying.

Oh well, I keep buying games for some day when I am in the mood. I can't even play Stardew Valley without thinking I am messing up somehow.

I thought of this thread last night, had a 2 hour power outage at the house, the switch definitely came in handy then. I was bored as hell.

nope. Just not a blind fanboi of any console. Got my x1s, ps4, ps3, wii u, in the house, gaming pc, and will probably get a switch for 1st party games as well.

So are you inventing things to complain about?

I purchased it, but am honestly not that impressed. But truth be told, I've never really been a fan of 3D games overall. But the one thing that I really dislike in modern games in the lack of focus on music. I'm in the fourth world right now, and I can't honestly remember one song from the game. SMB1, 3, and World though all have memorable soundtracks.

I purchased it, but am honestly not that impressed. But truth be told, I've never really been a fan of 3D games overall. But the one thing that I really dislike in modern games in the lack of focus on music. I'm in the fourth world right now, and I can't honestly remember one song from the game. SMB1, 3, and World though all have memorable soundtracks.

I agree that it doesn't have a memorable soundtrack, but at the same time I don't agree on the 'lack of focus on music' for this game. The had a full orchestra do all the songs in the game.

Critics have mostly loved the 3D Marios and the 3D Marios often sell worse than their 2D counterparts.

As for the music, I remember The Force Awakens music was aimless and unfocused, and that had a full orchestra.

Ironically, I find the switch to be more appealing either PS4 Pro or Xbox one because neither system have titles I want to play at 60fps. Switch right off the bat has 2 titles I am interested in that run at 60fps (Odyssey & Kart 8 Deluxe), even when docked.

And right now I cound 4 or 5 titles I already want to play on Switch, on PS4 that count actually keeps shrinking, currently I am down to literally just Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5 at a stretch. $600 for one single title? I usually have no problems with paying cash for decent hardware, but even then it's a stretch, especially a 30fps title.

Neither the Gamecube nor the Wii U were technical failures. There's many ways to reason why those consoles didn't do as well as their predecessors. Marketing, management, planning, who knows. Maybe the world is just sick of the same old Nintendo consoles and want something different. Maybe the short shelf life is unappealing to consumers and developers, maybe the increase in competition is thinning the library. We will never fully understand it.

This 'gimmick' is the only way that I play my Switch. I haven't even pulled the dock out of the box or had my Switch hooked up to a TV. I use it while im on the go or while my wife/kids are using the TV/PC etc.

why is gimmick in quotes? It's a gimmick, to allow your console to be a handheld is a gimmicky thing. Don't need to take it as a bad term, congrats you bought a high end hand held console. In fact you kind of show my point here, you're only using the console in one way, you're not even utilizing "the full potential" of what you can do with it. Now great if you're more than happy with it, but fact is you're paying for something you don't use, ok that may not be completely true since very often these consoles sell for a loss while they make their real money from licensing agreements to put titles on their machine.

Neither the Gamecube nor the Wii U were technical failures. There's many ways to reason why those consoles didn't do as well as their predecessors. Marketing, management, planning, who knows. Maybe the world is just sick of the same old Nintendo consoles and want something different. Maybe the short shelf life is unappealing to consumers and developers, maybe the increase in competition is thinning the library. We will never fully understand it.

Gamecube was largely technically flawed by means of the undersized storage disc. That choice will never make much sense to anyone as to why they didn't just use a full sized disc. The CPU/GPU itself were the most powerful of the generation and the guts remained largely the same through the Wii/WiiU.

It could be argued that the WiiU was just flat out underpowered for when it came out, but ultimately i'll give it a pass because everything on it ran decently well and looked good. I think the WiiU largely 'failed' because they never marketed it right and never released a killer app. Both BOTW and Mario Odyssey were supposed to be WiiU games, and if they would have been launch titles on the WiiU I believe the WiiU would still be rocking today.

And right now I cound 4 or 5 titles I already want to play on Switch, on PS4 that count actually keeps shrinking, currently I am down to literally just Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5 at a stretch. $600 for one single title? I usually have no problems with paying cash for decent hardware, but even then it's a stretch, especially a 30fps title.

Hint. If you have a good multicore CPU (above 4 cores/threads) in your gaming PC you can play PS3 version of Persona 5 just fine through emulator. So thats one more game down from the list.

Hint. If you have a good multicore CPU (above 4 cores/threads) in your gaming PC you can play PS3 version of Persona 5 just fine through emulator. So thats one more game down from the list.
Thanks, another nail in the coffin lol.

Just need one more, a PC release of HZD :p.

But with my bday coming up next week, I think I might pull the trigger on Switch. Might, because my local Switch is getting released in December, and I still need one more title to push it over the edge. Either Switch version of Super Smash or 2D Metroid, I am biting for sure.

why is gimmick in quotes? It's a gimmick, to allow your console to be a handheld is a gimmicky thing. Don't need to take it as a bad term, congrats you bought a high end hand held console. In fact you kind of show my point here, you're only using the console in one way, you're not even utilizing "the full potential" of what you can do with it. Now great if you're more than happy with it, but fact is you're paying for something you don't use, ok that may not be completely true since very often these consoles sell for a loss while they make their real money from licensing agreements to put titles on their machine.

I think the "gimmick" is to allow your handheld to be used as a console. Maybe once I get the pro controller I'll feel different about playing it docked, but at least with Odyssey I find it a much better experience playing it as a handheld.

The vertical dock is also an issue, in any of my entertainment stands you have to pull it out to be able to slide the switch in from the top. Considering every other console is designed to be used horizontally by default, this seems like a design flaw. They need to release a horizontal dock.

I think the "gimmick" is to allow your handheld to be used as a console. Maybe once I get the pro controller I'll feel different about playing it docked, but at least with Odyssey I find it a much better experience playing it as a handheld.
There are games on the GBA that I would purposefully play on emulators because I don't want to be staring down at a screen for long periods of time (hurts my neck, harder to see stuff on small screen, etc). So in that sense, yeah having a handheld that you can effortless play on a TV is absolutely great (kind of like the SNES gameboy adapter, as dated as that technology is), I just thinking $300 for a handheld is a bit much, regardless as nice as it is, and then on top of that you need to buy SD cards to store your game too? Hopefully you can use "generic" brand cards instead of "Nintendo brand", but either way it still is an extra expense that handhelds should not have.

Because they are focused on gameplay and new experiences?
Nintendo failing since 1889.
I think most execs from the other consoles would jizz in their pants if they could sustain the big N track record... Oh wait if they were Americans one bad quarter, and you need to close shop.. .. impossible to imagine Americans dealing with a poor-ish performing console. ( I think the game cube made money no problem though)

I think most execs from the other consoles would jizz in their pants if they could sustain the big N track record... Oh wait if they were Americans one bad quarter, and you need to close shop.. .. impossible to imagine Americans dealing with a poor-ish performing console. ( I think the game cube made money no problem though)

Fanboi found. no need to really respond to tru-belivers.

I dont need to play games on the go, if im "going" somewhere its because i got shit to do. I play games at home when im chore/errand free. The only time i could see myself playing this on the go is if im on a plane, and that happens like once every 2 years.

It's one of those things that becomes more obvious as you get used to it. I can play on the couch, but then if I need to move to somewhere else in the house to watch the kids or something, I just grab it and go. Then when I'm going to bed I can lay in bed and mess with it for a little bit. Take it with me when taking the kids to extra curricular activities. Pop it off the dock when family is using the main TV. Pop into the dock in the TV in the back room.

I honestly didn't think I would play it when I got it, and it's the thing I play on the most now. Because with so little time I have as an adult supporting my family I don't have much time to be stuck in front of the one TV with a "real" console attached to it.

Graphics and game selection is a valid concern. But nothing that Nintendo hasn't been suffering with since the N64.

Correct, Nintendo is the only company in the world that actually has an aversion to money. I use to question why Nintendo does the things they do.....then I realized they do not like money and things make a lot more sense now. The NES Classic Mini makes total sense if you look at it someone trying to not make money.

Fanboi found. no need to really respond to tru-belivers.
Hehe.. a bit. Hard to shake off the company you grew up with.. something to be said about longevity. That said, i did have a ps1 and ps3. I skipped the ps2 generation completely.. did get a dreamcast for like a buck. Seens nintendo games always stick with me more.. its weird.

I like the Wii U - no one else in the world does, but ours still gets a lot of use. I actually like the second screen and some of the neat things games have done using it along with the TV image, as well as the ability to just play on the handheld controller.

Switch seems like just the controller part. Ok, you can take it outside of the 15’ radius the Wii U required to work, but it has to dock to play on a TV and you lose the ability to have it act as a second screen if I’m not mistaken.

So apart from being able to take it with you, and the minor hardware bump a few years of separation gives you ... I don’t see how Switch is an improvement over the Wii U.

Anyway, Mario. I haven’t been able to get into a Mario game (outside of Kart) since SNES. I like the idea of it, I just am not into platformers any more.

When they release a new Kart - we will probably get a Switch then. But rehashed 8 doesn’t make it worth while. I play 8 and Zelda on my U now.

Reactions: lazz
like this
I like the Wii U - no one else in the world does, but ours still gets a lot of use. I actually like the second screen and some of the neat things games have done using it along with the TV image, as well as the ability to just play on the handheld controller.
Switch seems like just the controller part. Ok, you can take it outside of the 15’ radius the Wii U required to work, but it has to dock to play on a TV and you lose the ability to have it act as a second screen if I’m not mistaken.
So apart from being able to take it with you, and the minor hardware bump a few years of separation gives you ... I don’t see how Switch is an improvement over the Wii U.
Anyway, Mario. I haven’t been able to get into a Mario game (outside of Kart) since SNES. I like the idea of it, I just am not into platformers any more.
When they release a new Kart - we will probably get a Switch then. But rehashed 8 doesn’t make it worth while. I play 8 and Zelda on my U now.

Yeah I feel the same way if you have something that keeps you entertained why jump ship ?
Mario has never been much of a factor for me. However Odessy is quite good and if anyone wants to checkout why, there are plenty of world completions on youtube .

Back