Super Mario Odyssey Becomes Nintendo’s Fastest-Selling Super Mario Game Ever in U.S.

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Not only is Super Mario Odyssey the highest rated game of all time it's also the fastest selling Super Mario game ever in the United States. In just 5 days it sold more than 1.1 million units in the U.S. alone. Now it makes sense to me why the Switch is selling so well even though many people consider it under-powered. Nintendo junkies need their Mario and Zelda fix!

The game has already been enjoyed by well over a million people, and is likely to be enjoyed by many more, as those early players continue to spread their excitement for Mario.

highest rated... it's alright i guess. I played a few hours and then got sidetracked playing fortnight.

I think the sales are a reflection of the lack of diversity for switch. Everyone that has one is almost forced to buy any AAA title or leave their switch sitting in the closet.

One down, one Link game and one Kart game to go. Then you guys can look forward to the next system.

...honestly this shade worked better before I was buying a PS and Xbox every 3 years too...so...whatever, at least we'll get 3 or 4 Call of Dutys in the same time...so......so....so we got that........shit.....

Reactions: Rahh
like this
It has been my belief for a long time, that quality of play (fun factor) is more important that quality of graphics (eye candy). This seems to be something Nintendo gets.

True, but why do they act like they are mutually exclusive? As if you couldn't create these sorts of great games on good hardware?

Bought one copy for my son and got the switch/mario bundle for my daughter for xmas. Both of mine like Splatoon 2, Arms, Zelda, Mario, and the pink balloon guy I forget its name.

True, but why do they act like they are mutually exclusive? As if you couldn't create these sorts of great games on good hardware?
I figure it goes something like this:

Nintendo Game Developer: "We want to make a new Mario game. We need a new console that will run it."
Nintendo Console Developer: "Here's the cheapest system we can make that will run your new Mario game."
Nintendo CEO: Great! Let's go with that!

It has been my belief for a long time, that quality of play (fun factor) is more important that quality of graphics (eye candy). This seems to be something Nintendo gets.
now if Nintendo would get that you don't need gimmicks to sell a console, and just make something "normal" like the other guys, it'd maybe make me happier.

now if Nintendo would get that you don't need gimmicks to sell a console, and just make something "normal" like the other guys, it'd maybe make me happier.

What's the gimmick? You can take it out an play on the go? That's a great thing. Once you start using it, you'll wish you can play all your games like this.

With the switch it's basically zelda or this new mario game. What else is there that's decent to play?

puyopop tetris , xenoblade chroniicles 2 , if you dig old style Jrpg you can get project octopath traveler (working title, demo can be downloaded) . still decent enough without the first party titles ....

This is the first Mario game to have interested me since Super Mario Bros on the NES, so I'd say they're doing pretty well. I'm more of a Sega fan, and since this game is a lot like Sonic Adventure, that's fine by me.

This is the first Mario game to have interested me since Super Mario Bros on the NES, so I'd say they're doing pretty well. I'm more of a Sega fan, and since this game is a lot like Sonic Adventure, that's fine by me.

Super Mario 64 was amazing, on par with Super Mario World for me. Odyssey is pretty close to 64 in terms of gameplay and style. Controls feel a bit strange at first but so did that awkward n64 controller.

What's the gimmick? You can take it out an play on the go? That's a great thing. Once you start using it, you'll wish you can play all your games like this.
This I don't get. Maybe for a kid but I as a adult would have no time to play while on the go. Lunch time? No after eating I have about 15 mins left so not enough time to get involved in a game. When I want to play it is either on my computer or tv where I can relax. I rather had a more powerful home system then this gimmick.

With the switch it's basically zelda or this new mario game. What else is there that's decent to play?

Splatoon 2 and Fire Emblem are highly praised. Mario + Rabbits. Overcooked, Golf Story. I'll even double dip for games like Doom, Shovel Knight or The Jackbox Party to play on the go.

This I don't get. Maybe for a kid but I as a adult would have no time to play while on the go. Lunch time? No after eating I have about 15 mins left so not enough time to get involved in a game. When I want to play it is either on my computer or tv where I can relax. I rather had a more powerful home system then this gimmick.

I guess it's just not for you. I have plenty of time during work travel for training and conferences. Either taking a 4 hour flight or sitting in my hotel. It's great to have a gaming device that's light, portable and plays actual games not just shitty mobile app type games.

Well, the XBOX One X is just the thing for you, cuz more FLOPS automagically equals religious gaming experience.

I guess it's just not for you. I have plenty of time during work travel for training and conferences. Either taking a 4 hour flight or sitting in my hotel. It's great to have a gaming device that's light, portable and plays actual games not just shitty mobile app type games.
If you have a full time career that allows you that sort of time, great but your scenario is a fairly uncommon niche. Sure there's also people that sit on mass transit for 2-3 hours a day commuting to and from work, but besides that most folks don't have the time while mobile to be gaming for more than 5-10 minutes at a shot(which is where crappy cellphone mobile games come in). Heck, my last portable system was my 3ds... no idea where it went it just disappeared... rather I couldn't find it to check something out after not messing with it for months(it's probably still at the bottom of a drawer somewhere).

I wouldn't go so far as to call the switch a gimmick, but it definitely includes a feature-set I'd never get any use out of.

It's pretty similar to Mario 64, which was almost universally acclaimed, so this is no surprise.

I am not a super huge fan of the semi-forced motion controls, but thankfully they are generally not required.

Ninty systems have always been the perfect complement to a good gaming rig for PC gamers. They're (relatively) inexpensive, and they offer by far the best "couch co-op" style experience.

I view my consoles as being for casual, in-person group gaming, and as media boxes. My WiiU has been super fantastic for this and still sees use playing MK8 and some others; I fully expect I'll get a switch in the next year or so too.

Additionally, no games come close to pure fun factor like first party Nintendo games do. Just this year they've got Odyssey, as well as Breath of the Wild, and a few other hits. The other consoles' exclusives might be good games, but they're nowhere near this level of pure fun.

Some answered already so I won't repeat them. The biggest bonus for me is I can cuddle up to the wife while playing. She can do her own thing and I earn bedroom bonus points.

If you have a full time career that allows you that sort of time, great but your scenario is a fairly uncommon niche. Sure there's also people that sit on mass transit for 2-3 hours a day commuting to and from work, but besides that most folks don't have the time while mobile to be gaming for more than 5-10 minutes at a shot(which is where crappy cellphone mobile games come in). Heck, my last portable system was my 3ds... no idea where it went it just disappeared... rather I couldn't find it to check something out after not messing with it for months(it's probably still at the bottom of a drawer somewhere).

I wouldn't go so far as to call the switch a gimmick, but it definitely includes a feature-set I'd never get any use out of.

But it's the fact that it's an option which gives it accessibility to lots of people. I also have an hour long commute on the rail back and forth so that's time I could also spend using it, but I am usually standing and holding stuff because our public transit is outdated and always behind schedule so cars are packed. I just can't stand mobile games, they're very restrictive and always have stupid time limits unless you pay extra. The good thing is the Switch goes right into standby so you can pick up from where you left off. I can play in 10-20 minute bursts then come right back and finish whatever quest/area I left off.

As for my travel, it's about once every 3 months for me, not too uncommon in my field but more often for my position. I do litigation support so training's are fairly common for the staff, everyone goes either once or twice a year.

I dont need to play games on the go, if im "going" somewhere its because i got shit to do. I play games at home when im chore/errand free. The only time i could see myself playing this on the go is if im on a plane, and that happens like once every 2 years.

Well, the XBOX One X is just the thing for you, cuz more FLOPS automagically equals religious gaming experience.
Nope got a beefy PC and a PS4 pro and a switch that been sitting in the corner unopened for almost 3 months.

Zelda, Maro Galaxy, Mario & Rabids, Golf Story, Splatoon 2 are all amazing. Also have Mario Kart even tho I had it on the Wii U. It's a great game on the go. There's tons of indy games as well if you're into that.

I dont need to play games on the go, if im "going" somewhere its because i got shit to do. I play games at home when im chore/errand free. The only time i could see myself playing this on the go is if im on a plane, and that happens like once every 2 years.

So just because it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for anyone? Look at how well the DS/3DS sold. Portable is still huge in gaming.

This 'gimmick' is the only way that I play my Switch. I haven't even pulled the dock out of the box or had my Switch hooked up to a TV. I use it while im on the go or while my wife/kids are using the TV/PC etc.

But it's the fact that it's an option which gives it accessibility to lots of people. I also have an hour long commute on the rail back and forth so that's time I could also spend using it, but I am usually standing and holding stuff because our public transit is outdated and always behind schedule so cars are packed. I just can't stand mobile games, they're very restrictive and always have stupid time limits unless you pay extra. The good thing is the Switch goes right into standby so you can pick up from where you left off. I can play in 10-20 minute bursts then come right back and finish whatever quest/area I left off.

As for my travel, it's about once every 3 months for me, not too uncommon in my field but more often for my position. I do litigation support so training's are fairly common for the staff, everyone goes either once or twice a year.
And that's fine, but for the rest of the population that couldn't care less about that like myself... I don't want to pay for a screen/battery/etc. that I'm never going to use.

And that's fine, but for the rest of the population that couldn't care less about that like myself... I don't want to pay for a screen/battery/etc. that I'm never going to use.

It still launched at the same price as the Wii U, $299. I don't think the inclusion of a battery and screen affected the price much.

So just because it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for anyone? Look at how well the DS/3DS sold. Portable is still huge in gaming.
Never said it doesnt work for everyone. What i was getting at is that i think its a gimmick, just like the WiiU tablet and the Wii motion controls. IMO the last good Nintendo system was the Gamecube, and its only gimmick was that it was a small cube.

It still launched at the same price as the Wii U, $299. I don't think the inclusion of a battery and screen affected the price much.
It ain't free, and I don't want to pay for it.

As far as the WiiU, that was definitely a gimmick(a shitty one at that) and considering the hardware was barely a step above the Wii, yeah it was included in the cost.

Kids still use the original Wii when they want to play something like Mario Party, etc.
Otherwise they are playing Mario Cart or Pokémon on their 3DS's

IMHO, the 3DS XL is a much better portable format, no separate controls to get lost, good battery life, and the screens are protected when it's closed.

This 'gimmick' is the only way that I play my Switch. I haven't even pulled the dock out of the box or had my Switch hooked up to a TV. I use it while im on the go or while my wife/kids are using the TV/PC etc.

Whereas I mostly end up playing it via the dock for that sweet, sweet big screen HD. But I love the option of playing it mobile and having a similar experience. I wish the console was a little bit more powerful but given the form factor I think they did a pretty good job.

If i didn't have an iphone/ipad/macbook pro... maybe.

I've played my switch undocked once, on a short flight where i didn't want to pony up for wifi. The rest of the time it's just an underpowered console.

I'm pretty shocked at the hate for the system here. I see a lot of people knocking Skyrim being a "six year old game." Well sure, but the same company is also porting over Doom, which is just a year old, and Wolfenstein 2, which is a new release, so the system is definately getting support from Bethesda. Also, it's getting plenty of casual sports games like FIFA and WWE, which is a huge help for the casual market. The amount of Indie games being released on the thing is massive as well, and since the marketplace is a lot smaller right now on Switch than on Steam, many indie games are seeing much more success on the Switch. Also, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is coming, so if you aren't happy playing a six year old RPG, there's a new one releasing in December that should prove to be pretty good in its own right. If you go to Wikipedia, there are 493 games for Switch either released or upcoming, of which around 150 have either already been released or have firm release dates, so the claim there is nothing to play but Zelda and Mario is absurd. No, it doesn't have the library the X-Box One or PS4 has, but it already has a good sized library that is still growing, and has the strength of being portable, not just for trips, but just to play in the bedroom after a days work. Not trying to be all fanboy here, as I also like some of the stuff Sony is doing, and like some of Microsofts exclusives as well.

While I share that belief, using Nintendo as an example isn't really great. Their games are basically sold in a vacuum as they will never be available anywhere else. Combine that with the fact that really there are nearly no switch exclusives right now worth a damn and ofc the first real Mario game is going to sell. When you look at the bigger picture many popular major games on other systems end up selling more total copies than Nintendo because they just flatly have a bigger market footprint and are more appealing graphically because they aren't hardware limited.

Back