Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League (Rocksteady)

the $69.99 price tag is what is hurting the game...I think more people will pick it up on sale...the GaaS elements seem limited to cosmetics so it's not a big deal to me
They released half a game for $70 but promised all future content updates are free.

That means if the game is successful, they'll finish it and keep releasing updates until they stop making money.
If the game fails, they will cut support and drop it.

It's like they expected the game to bomb and didn't want to fully commit until they tested the waters.

the $69.99 price tag is what is hurting the game...I think more people will pick it up on sale...the GaaS elements seem limited to cosmetics so it's not a big deal to me
IMO, from what I've seen, this is a $40 game at best. Even Gotham Knights was better than this, and that was also a major turd..

They released half a game for $70 but promised all future content updates are free.

That means if the game is successful, they'll finish it and keep releasing updates until they stop making money.
If the game fails, they will cut support and drop it.

It's like they expected the game to bomb and didn't want to fully commit until they tested the waters.

half a game?...isn't the single player story complete?...additional content is just additional content...Avengers released new story DLC for a little over a year and overall support for 3 years...I'm expecting at least that long for this game

half a game?...isn't the single player story complete?...additional content is just additional content...Avengers released new story DLC for a little over a year and overall support for 3 years...I'm expecting at least that long for this game
It's COD campaign length short. This is not acceptable for this type of game, even more so considering how half-baked and shitty the looter shooter mechanics are.

It's COD campaign length short. This is not acceptable for this type of game, even more so considering how half-baked and shitty the looter shooter mechanics are.

yeah the length is very disappointing...definitely not worth $70, much less $100 for the Deluxe Edition

Length aside, it's like saying a TV show is complete after season 1 ends. The campaign doesn't have a definitive "ending", it's teased for future content drops.
There are also multiple "Future content coming soon" splash screens in the game. It's really sad.

Like going to a theme park and they have "Under Construction" signs everywhere.

I wouldn't say those are the main reasons. I think many industries like this are being burned hard by their hiring practices and output of the last 6-8 in particular from the university system. They aren't hiring actual talent anymore, and most talent doesn't even want a job being a game developer anymore. They're just hiring idiot kids who have a four year degree, and a lot of the older crowd has retired. The result is just a bunch of people churning out crap product, because they have no real experience. The writing is bad, the tech is bad, the art is bad, the modeling is bad, the level design is bad, etc.

That happens when you cause mass burn out and have bad practices that causes founders and other experienced devs to leave and form their own companies. I’m sure there are plenty of talented people working at these studios, but they’re not provided and environment that encourages them to grow and actually show off what they can do. Instead they’re stuck on generic crap, then throw out the door the moment the game releases. This year marks 20 years since the EA spouses controversy and even back then people were sending warnings to the industry that they would face this problem if things didn’t improve.

I wonder if anyone good is left at Rocksteady or if co-founders Sefton Hill and Jamie Walker took all the good people to work in their newly formed studio

Steam reviews are at 84%...pretty good considering all the hate this seems to be getting...

Steam reviews are at 84%...pretty good considering all the hate this seems to be getting...
I don't believe those are real reviews for a second. No f'ing way this is reviewing better than Gotham Knights.

Last edited:

They're doing a "live service" thing. Which is lame and they'll be dropping more content, probably short half-assed stuff, over the course of a year or so. Which is idiotic for a single player game. I am not even sure if these people play video games. How can you think that works well? It may work for multiplayer but not for story driven single player games.

They're doing a "live service" thing. Which is lame and they'll be dropping more content, probably short half-assed stuff, over the course of a year or so. Which is idiotic for a single player game. I am not even sure if these people play video games. How can you think that works well? It may work for multiplayer but not for story driven single player games.

I didn't know the story ends on a cliffhanger...so they're going to slowly release more story content over the life of the game...would be better to just wait for the entire Season Pass to be released before purchasing...with Forbidden West PC and Dragon's Dogma 2 coming in March there's no point in getting this game now

Reading through the Steam forum for this game, I see that the people who really hate this game don’t own it and haven’t played it, whereas a lot of the people who do own it seem pretty stoked.

I don’t trust IGN. They seem determined to bury this game.

CD Keys has it for 56.00 so you don't need to be taken by Steam's retail price.
I'm skipping alot of the games this year this will probably be one of them unless it goes FTP on Epic.

Reading through the Steam forum for this game, I see that the people who really hate this game don’t own it and haven’t played it, whereas a lot of the people who do own it seem pretty stoked.

I don’t trust IGN. They seem determined to bury this game.

Yeah I watched there video review they released yesterday and they just seem to be going out there way to criticize it (as most people are). In the IGN video review and the few playthrough's I have watched, it does look like they tried to put in solid mechanics, crafting, and looting, skill tree's, etc...just couldnt get them right and get the characters to have variety in playstyle. It does look like it can be easily improved upon and hopefully the future drops of content improve on them (if Cyberpunk, Fallout, Destiny, Battlefield, etc can improve on them, then there is no reason they can't). Outside of reviewers, it does look like people are enjoying the gameplay that does exist...just sounds like it get repetitive fast and not much content for a $70 game (probably should of gone with $40 like Darktides did).

As long as the content drops stay free and doesn't take a long time to come, then there can be hope improve on it. Im sure this will go down in price and if its hits $40 or less...probably will get it and play with the wife. Would be a shame if they let this go, abandon it, and loose all the work that has been put in it...but that is the WB way these days.

Yeah I watched there video review they released yesterday and they just seem to be going out there way to criticize it (as most people are). In the IGN video review and the few playthrough's I have watched, it does look like they tried to put in solid mechanics, crafting, and looting, skill tree's, etc...just couldnt get them right and get the characters to have variety in playstyle. It does look like it can be easily improved upon and hopefully the future drops of content improve on them (if Cyberpunk, Fallout, Destiny, Battlefield, etc can improve on them, then there is no reason they can't). Outside of reviewers, it does look like people are enjoying the gameplay that does exist...just sounds like it get repetitive fast and not much content for a $70 game (probably should of gone with $40 like Darktides did).

As long as the content drops stay free and doesn't take a long time to come, then there can be hope improve on it. Im sure this will go down in price and if its hits $40 or less...probably will get it and play with the wife. Would be a shame if they let this go, abandon it, and loose all the work that has been put in it...but that is the WB way these days.
Only people enjoying this game are zoomers that never played any of the Arkham games.

I'd rather re-install and play through any of the Arkham games then play this thing.

CD Keys has it for 56.00 so you don't need to be taken by Steam's retail price.
I'm skipping alot of the games this year this will probably be one of them unless it goes FTP on Epic.
WB has a good track record for price drops. It'll be $20 in the summer sale and $10 by the end of the year.
I bought Arkham Knight for $5 one month after launch. Just maybe...

WB has a good track record for price drops. It'll be $20 in the summer sale and $10 by the end of the year.
I bought Arkham Knight for $5 one month after launch. Just maybe...
Shame that game did so poor on launch due to stupid technical issues. It's such an amazing game.

Given how fast Gotham Knights went to sub-$20, this will get there very fast. At least Gotham Knights has a serviceable and decent length singleplayer.

when i see "loot" icons colored with green, blue, purple, and yellow borders, my eye starts twitching...
There are so many games that need this system, but don't have it.
And so many games that don't need this system, but do.

It's great when done right and some games are built entirely around it, ie: Diablo and Borderlands.

Putting loot rarity on guns is a risk, though. Has anyone besides Borderlands done it right?

I don’t own this game… I haven’t played it… but looking at some of the gameplay footage this game looks more fun than Guardians of the Galaxy in terms of pure gameplay. I think I’ll buy this at 50% off.

the Digital Foundry video had a nice take...

"I feel that pre-release media may have negatively colored viewers expectations...the game looks a lot more visually attractive when playing it versus the pre-release YouTube videos (where a ton of detail was lost)"

"I feel that pre-release media may have negatively colored viewers expectations...the game looks a lot more visually attractive when playing it versus the pre-release YouTube videos (where a ton of detail was lost)"

Yep and the UE4 stutter struggle bus on PC of course smh.

YouTube compression killing the look of games has been a problem for a while. I remember Total Biscuit talking about it back when Far Cry Primal came out. YT has increased their bitrate quite a bit since then, but it’s still not enough to prevent it from causing games to look much worse than they do in person. Doesn’t help that publishers don’t always release 4K trailers on their channels or to the press, much less trailers encoded at 4K with HDR.

Man, reading through some of the story points and it really makes me feel like they took a dump on the Arkham trilogy.
Reality is that the people who made the prior games had nothing to do with this game. I doubt it was intentional. You just have a really bad combo of poor management on the WB Games front, poor management internal, and a bunch of unexperienced idiots working at that studio now. You have to remember most of the people that worked on this game in the past few years likely never played the Arkham games, or if they did it's when they were like 16 years old if not younger. All of the real talent left Rocksteady after AK.

All of the real talent left Rocksteady after AK.
I’m not calling you out on this personally, because I’ve seen dozens of people make this exact same statement. But it would be interesting to quantify this with actual data to see who worked on which games and what their roles were.

Did every single person who worked on the Arkham games leave the studio? If not, how many stayed and what contributions did they make?

(I’m guilty of doing this myself, of course. In the past, I’ve said that both Bethesda and Remedy, unlike BioWare and Arcane, have managed to retain their talent, without actually being able to provide any hard data on that. Maybe we shouldn’t make such broad generalizations without really knowing who’s actually working on these games.)

Last edited:
I’m not calling you out on this personally, because I’ve seen dozens of people make this exact same statement. But it would be interesting to quantify this with actual data to see who worked on which games and what their roles were.

Did every single person who worked on the Arkham games leave the studio? If not, how many stayed and what contributions did they make?

(I’m guilty of doing this myself, of course. In the past, I’ve said that both Bethesda and Remedy, unlike BioWare and Arcane, have managed to retain their talent, without actually being able to provide any hard data on that. Maybe we shouldn’t make such broad generalizations without really knowing who’s actually working on these games.)
best i got:
talks about studio heads leaving:
https://www.polygon.com/23424707/ro...s-leave-suicide-squad-kill-the-justice-league

then those guys forming new studio with "A handful of lead developers and director-level ex-Rocksteady employees have left the Batman Arkham studio in recent months to join an unannounced studio, according to LinkedIn profiles Polygon has reviewed."
https://www.polygon.com/24040541/rocksteady-studios-founders-new-studio-hundred-star-games

BUT this all supposedly happened after this game being "nearly finished". imo the true problem here was letting "sweet baby inc" get its claws in it...
1707066761124.png

but thats a topic for another forum section/thread...

At the top, Bethesda largely has. In my opinion, that's actually the problem over there but that's another topic. Towards the lower rung of the ladders studios do not retain talent. They are all basically contractors. That's how that business typically works. We actually know the score with BioWare too. Casey Hudson is gone, Mac Walters and Drew Karpyshyn are gone. The bosses that founded the studio and sold out to EA are gone. It's well known that some of the people behind Star Wars the Old Republic are gone. I'm sure they've retained some people but most of the developers who worked on the Mass Effect Trilogy went over to Anthem. Upper management fucked that up all around.

As for Rocksteady, I don't know. But after Gotham Knights and now this, it's hard to imagine the same people that had the most to do with the success of the Arkham games had anything to do with this live service turd.

At the top, Bethesda largely has. In my opinion, that's actually the problem over there but that's another topic. Towards the lower rung of the ladders studios do not retain talent. They are all basically contractors. That's how that business typically works. We actually know the score with BioWare too. Casey Hudson is gone, Mac Walters and Drew Karpyshyn are gone. The bosses that founded the studio and sold out to EA are gone. It's well known that some of the people behind Star Wars the Old Republic are gone. I'm sure they've retained some people but most of the developers who worked on the Mass Effect Trilogy went over to Anthem. Upper management fucked that up all around.

As for Rocksteady, I don't know. But after Gotham Knights and now this, it's hard to imagine the same people that had the most to do with the success of the Arkham games had anything to do with this live service turd.

Gotham Knights was WB Montreal, who also had an exodus of employees over the last handful of years.

As for Rocksteady personal: Both founders left to start a new studio. The original claim was that they left after Suicide Squad was mostly complete, but given the extremely long delays and reworking it has had since then that seems rather doubtful. Additionally, multiple high-level people from Rocksteady also left the studio during the development of SS. Presumably they went to join the founders at their new studio.

Back