Suggestions for an external 3.5" enclosure (USB3)

needmorecarnitine

Supreme [H]ardness
Need some recommendations for an external drive housing that has to have USB 3 (can have others also but needs that). Hopefully something around $30 but I'm open to whatever I guess. Newegg selection looks like crappy. Anyone?

Whichever one you choose, pick one with the ASMedia ASM1051 USB 3.0 chipset. The JMicron USB 3.0 chipsets aren't there yet.

I like the Vantec NST-330SU3-BK (39.99 from newegg). It has a switchable fan and easy drive installation. Plus, an eSATA port in addition to USB 3.0.

I like the Ultra branded ones that Tigerdirect/CompUSA sell, they're full aluminum which conducts heat better than plastic (the drive's even mounted directly to a piece of aluminum, makes the whole thing one big heatsink since drives get the hottest around the sides). They seem sturdy and come with cables, stand, etc. LED's on the back, which I like because it's bright enough it'd be annoying otherwise but this way it just glows against the wall.

Whichever one you choose, pick one with the ASMedia ASM1051 USB 3.0 chipset.
Nice!

Have you done or read any reviews or tests to recommened it?

I have to agree with him there. I first noticied the big difference between the asmedia chipset and the NEC and realtek versions when I setup an Asrock Z68 Fatality board. 10% increase in STR transfers, and probably 25-30% with small, random transfers in backup times to identical drives from identical drives in 2 similar systems, one with the asmedia usb3 and one with and onboard realtek and an pciex1 NEC board.

Nice to know Gents!

I only use eSATA for external drives but it's nice to know that someone has paid attention to the different USB3 chipsets.

The last USB chipset 'round-up" I've seen is from 2007.....a little dated to be sure. :)

USB 2.0 went thru the same thing where some controllers out performed others for a while... It's a PITA to figure out what chipset's used on any given enclosure tho, unless you're able to go check them out at retail. I admit I don't even know what's running on mine, I'll check later and report.

Welp, the Ultra one I recommended before uses the JMicron JM539, here's another thread about the chipset and someone having recognition issues with it:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=941808

For my part, I haven't had any issues with it, and I'd still recommend it for running Green drives or for backup duties in particular; since it's virtually silent (fanless) but the drive runs cool and they have a 3 year warranty. It seems the exact version I have isn't available tho, they only have a newer rev wrapped in leather now (which seems totally pointless):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...1566&CatId=2780&SRCCODE=MDOTTD&MobileOptOut=1

I can understand wrapping the portable 2.5" version in leather but not a desktop enclosure, dunno if they might've swapped chips on that rev but it's got decent reviews.

If you're looking for the better performing Admedia chipset then you've got two recommendations already, the Vantec mentioned above and the 2.5" Raidsonic mentioned in that overclockers thread I've linked (maybe they make a 3.5" with the same chipset?). Would love to hear other people's experience with different enclosures and the chipsets they use, tho I think the warranty and build construction is still worth taking into account. I've killed a couple of enclosures in the last ten years... :(

Last edited:
I've had my Rosewill USB3.0 enclosure for about 1 year now and it's a champ. No complaints whatsoever. At the time I got it for just under $20 w/ promo code.

Anyone know what chip that one uses? Since a few people own it and haven't had issues with it... Looks good for the price. I'm not crazy about the looks of Vantec enclosures, or the 30 day warranty (seriously?) given the price.

The Icydock someone mentioned looks very solidly built and I dig the built in folding legs and the quick eject drive tray, not to mention USB 3.0 + e-SATA... Doesn't look like it's available yet tho, doesn't say what chipset it uses either.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Anyone know what chip that one uses?

Someone mentioned the Jmicron JMS539 in a review. They also believe that their onboard USB 3 controller (in tandem with that JMicron) might have been a problem.

Yeah, it looks like its time for someone to do a USB 3 comparison now that they can test native Intel vs. a few on board controllers and various chipsets used in external controllers.

I've been happy with my Cheap Rosewill enclosure.

I have an encrypted 5400 3TB drive in mine, so it's not as fast as it could be, but it is still faster than USB2.0, so I'm satisfied.

So I'm getting the Vantec that donkeypuck suggested.

There is currently a 20% off coupon for all external enclosures at Newegg: EMCNDNJ79

good till June 7th or until funds last.

Also the warranty description is wrong on a lot of items mentioned in this thread. For example, all Vantec enclosures have a 1 year labor 90 day parts warranty.

I just got this (link) Rosewill enclosure. I think it's their latest offering (few months). It's USB3/eSata, uses the Asmedia1051 (for the USB/Sata bridge) and Asmedia1453 (to "share" the Sata drive between USB & eSata, without using low-tech components).

Performance is good. I measure 160+ MiB/s (using a Hitachi 7K3000 2TB) on USB3 (in conjunction w/ Highpoint 1022 controller [uses an Asmedia1042]). Same speed via eSata. I was surprised to see that the 1453 permits a SataIII (6Gbps) connection/negotiation (in eSata mode). Access time on USB3 is only 0.1msec more (slower) than on eSata.

The enclosure is solid and attractive. Drive swapping involves two screws (or two 5/8" lengths of wooden matchstick for quick & tool-less :)). It has a variable-speed 80mm fan.

Two (very!) minor quibbles (ie, suggested improvements): the drive activity light only works for USB (not eSata). The fan speed control should have an OFF position at its low end (it's a thumbwheel on the rear panel).

Oh yeah ... warranty is one year parts & labor.

Back