Suggestions for a 4K needed.

narsbars

2[H]4U
Bought a 4K for production purposes, not for gaming. I have a 6970 and a 280X available any ideas how to get the best resolution.
The set only has HDMI and if used for gaming would only do 30 FPS. But I can live with 30 FPS when looking at a spread sheet but would like the best resolution. 39 inch screen.
The whole 4K thing is new and for home I am waiting for a gaming unit but this one is going to be good practice.
Sorry to be so loose in the questions but I don't know what I don't know and have to start some place.

Uh, which monitor is it? The 31.5" IGZO panels aren't capable of 60hz SST. You would need either the B326HK or the BL3201PH for that.

By 'set', and only having HDMI (I assume you mean 'the display only has HDMI input') II'm guessing you;ve bought a UHDTV, not a UHD monitor?
If so, then unfortunately you are out of luck with the 6970 and 280x. A '4k' TV will either be limited to 30Hz by HDMI 1.4, or support 4k @60Hz but only over HDMI 2.0 (which neither or your GPUs can output). Knowing the model of your monitor would really help here.

If this is the case, then you have three options:
- Buy a new GPU that outputs HDMI 2.0 (at this point, this means a GTX 970 or GTX 980) IF your display has a HDMI 2.0 input
- Buy a new TV with a HDMI 2.0 input AND a GPU with a HDMI 2.0 output
- Buy a new display that accepts DisplayPort as an input

I am NOT interested in getting over 30 FPS. This is a production unit. I am only concerned about getting resolution, not FPS. Yes the monitor only has HDMI. This set is limited to 30 FPS and is a UHDTV.
Thanks for those comments about gaming but since this is for work, gaming does not matter. I get to play with a new unit and not on my dime. SEIKI

I thought the same until you read in the review that it has no ergonomic functions (not even tilt), bit of overblled and lag.

We need this but 50" and 3d ready with G sync

Monitor arm / tv mount.
And I want it smaller, 35". :(

Don't ... repeat DON'T get anything less that 32" and even then .... you will not be able to real small print.

There are many many apps to take into consideration that display small things by default.

I got to play with an Asus 32" 4k display and I was like ... LOLWHUT on some of the small boxes of text.

Last edited:
Also, at 30hz, you will have some interface lag from what I understand.

If your limited, broke, cheap and or unsure, get something cheap.

Have had it set up for only a day but for production is is working very well. Takes a lot of adjustments to get it going, very fuzzy at first but being able to read this screen from where I sit way back is great. Photos look very good, websites are good. Using a 6970 with HDMI at the moment but will put in a 280X tomorrow with hopes of 2160, the 6970 is limited to 1920 x 1080. I have not seen any flicker, dead spots or bad areas of color. I expect to take several days to explore the menus, both normal and hidden to find the best adjustments.
I used Windows to expand the text, calibrated clear type and so far, so good.
I will pop Steam on here for a hour or so just to take a peek but I know what to expect.
At the price $339,00, $329.00 today with free shipping it will work out........at least if I figure out how to lift my chair a few more inches.

I am NOT interested in getting over 30 FPS. This is a production unit. I am only concerned about getting resolution, not FPS. Yes the monitor only has HDMI. This set is limited to 30 FPS and is a UHDTV.
Thanks for those comments about gaming but since this is for work, gaming does not matter. I get to play with a new unit and not on my dime. SEIKI

I too use the Seiki 39 (and the 50")

As long as your Radeon card supports HDMI 1.4a it will drive the Seiki at 3840x2160 @30Hz.

Scratch that.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...s-and-Usage-492/#4kMonitorConnectivityOptions

shows the bare minimums for 4K and, on the AMD side, the 7770 is the minimum

Last edited:
Don't ... repeat DON'T get anything less that 32" and even then .... you will not be able to real small print.

There are many many apps to take into consideration that display small things by default.

I got to play with an Asus 32" 4k display and I was like ... LOLWHUT on some of the small boxes of text.

I'm unsure how you honestly can be saying it is showing tiny interfaces and squintworthy text, unless you have bad vision and don't use contacts or glasses to help yourself. I run win8.1 with a wide variety of heavy duty applications and it's a non issue, despite my glasses being out of date and needing to get a new rx soon. I regularly use Visual Studio, 3ds Max, Allegorithmic Substance designer and painter, Photoshop, Unity, OneNote, and occasionally Illustrator. I do, of course, use other things some as well. The only scaling I use is font size in web browsers to standardize the text, and Windows 8.1 is left alone with no scaling enabled at all.

Last edited:
I'm unsure how you honestly can be saying it is showing tiny interfaces and squintworthy text, unless you have bad vision and don't use contacts or glasses to help yourself. I run win8.1 with a wide variety of heavy duty applications and it's a non issue, despite my glasses being out of date and needing to get a new rx soon. I regularly use Visual Studio, 3ds Max, Allegorithmic Substance designer and painter, Photoshop, Unity, OneNote, and occasionally Illustrator. I do, of course, use other things some as well. The only scaling I use is font size in web browsers to standardize the text, and Windows 8.1 is left alone with no scaling enabled at all.

You didn't ask about distance.

This is a video card question in the display forum? Yes the 280X will do what you want, hopefully you already got it working by now.

I have truly lousy eyesight and sit back about a foot from the end of my finger tips. I am finding it a great production monitor but I need to go with a better vid card which is what started the thread. I tried to put in a 280X today and due to the lousy MB I am using at work I could not get the card to fit all the way into the slot.....no video. I will try something along the lines of a 7790 although the bosses budget oked anything up to a 970 at $350.00.

I have truly lousy eyesight and sit back about a foot from the end of my finger tips. I am finding it a great production monitor but I need to go with a better vid card which is what started the thread. I tried to put in a 280X today and due to the lousy MB I am using at work I could not get the card to fit all the way into the slot.....no video. I will try something along the lines of a 7790 although the bosses budget oked anything up to a 970 at $350.00.

How could it not fit in the slot?? You need a single slot card or? You should probably take a picture of what you're trying to do.

Back