Suffering Buyers remorse

Zarich

Limp Gawd
Jumped on the 670gtx GC card in the hot deals section (grabbed the amazon deal), but after looking more am thinking I made the wrong choice. Seems to be the 7950 is faster, cheaper and has more Vram.
One of my reasons for doing Nvidia this time is my experience with the 5850 has been less than stellar with drivers. Seem okay now though and I am wondering if I am jumping ship at the wrong time. Nvidia seems to have lost tons of ground here and it appears AMDs drivers may actually be as good as if not better.
So.. I guess I still have a bit of time to cancel my order, but should I?

You're going to have a good time with either card. So, don't worry about it - enjoy the card. Life is short!

It's hard to beat the Never Settle bundle and you would be basically paying only 200-230 for a 7950. Then again I'm biased.

Both cards win over each other in several different games. I was in the dilemma between the 670 and the 7950, but the 3gb ram(higher bit rate) and the never settle reloaded game bundle sold me on it.

I'd rather have the GTX670. Just as fast as the 7950 in most things, faster in others and Nvidia drivers FTW! Don't worry about it. As far as I'm concerned, you made the right choice especially considering it's the Galaxy GC version.

You won't be sorry.

I have two systems, listed in my signature.
The 670s have been surprisingly good performers, and I have never been want for VRAM.
It all depends on what resolution you use to game.:D

Don't feel bad. Enjoy the card.

What was the driver problem with AMD for you?

Look or ask around if it's still an issue.

For me, drivers remain the one and only reason why I can't switch to AMD right now, even if they are winning in every other department.

My problems were glitchy and screwy issues with things like random crashes, CCC refusing to open and in game issues like stuttering (mostly) and even artifacts on one. I knew it was drivers cause it would only happen after I "updated". I only got rid of the problem by no longer upgrading after I finally found one that was solid.

Maybe they've cleaned things up, I wouldn't know because I'm still running on year old drivers.

You would honestly be hard pressed to tell the difference between the cards in a blind test across most games. Don't worry about it. You made a good purchase either way.

7950 and 7970GE cards are basically revamped versions of the old 7950 and 7970 which come at higher clocks and different voltage settings. So my take on this is that out of the box the 7950 is faster than a GTX 670 but once you overclock your GTX 670 it will be faster than that 7950 will be probably even when you overclock it considering you may not have much more headroom to push that 7950 much more.

On the GTX 670 you can now bump your voltage up to 1.212 via bios update (KGB) and may have been surpassing 1300mhz on the core easy. I think you should keep what you have coming.

You lose the game bundle, and a slightly better out of box experience, but IMO gain more stable drivers, less micro stutter, PhysX, and a few other cool things like adaptive vsync etc...and very likely and overall better performing card permitting you have a good overclocker, but that chance is on both sides.

7950 and 7970GE cards are basically revamped versions of the old 7950 and 7970 which come at higher clocks and different voltage settings. So my take on this is that out of the box the 7950 is faster than a GTX 670 but once you overclock your GTX 670 it will be faster than that 7950 will be probably even when you overclock it considering you may not have much more headroom to push that 7950 much more.

On the GTX 670 you can now bump your voltage up to 1.212 via bios update (KGB) and may have been surpassing 1300mhz on the core easy. I think you should keep what you have coming.

You lose the game bundle, and a slightly better out of box experience, but IMO gain more stable drivers, less micro stutter, PhysX, and a few other cool things like adaptive vsync etc...and very likely and overall better performing card permitting you have a good overclocker, but that chance is on both sides.
If you need help with the KGB bios unlock, PM me. Both of my 680s are unlocked.

I always hear of AMD driver issues, but I switched back to Red when I got a 5850 and the only driver problem I had was the cursor bug in Eyefinity. Because it was new technology, I didn't hold a grudge.

I've been running a 6950 for about 2 years and haven't had any driver issues.
Now I'm upgrading to a 7870 myst edition (7930) and the upgrade is going to cost me a mere $10-$20 once I sell the games. Though I am considering keeping Tomb Raider.

If they didn't offer the Never Settle bundle, I wouldn't have second thoughts if I were you. But Crysis 3 and Bioshock infinite have major value, dropping the $280 price down to $220 range... That's phenomenal to get similar performance compared to the $350 price of the gtx 670.

oooo.. wait.. I see nVidia is offering a $150 gaming bundle!!! woot!
How exciting! :rolleyes:
The games they include are:
Hawken :rolleyes:
World of Tanks
Planetside 2

LOL... WUT! isn't planetside 2 FREE to play?!!

wait, World of Tanks is a free to play game too!
*double edit* damn.. nvidia is trolling me hard. Hawken is a free-to-play game as well.

How does 3 free to play games = $150 game value?

Last edited:
Good purchase man. Don't worry about if you should have done x,y, or z. Because in everything that you do, there's ALWAYS something that could have been better. For what it's worth, I'd love to be able to have the spare cash to throw on a GTX-670. I say play away and don't look back. Have fun!

If you'd already received the card I'd say don't worry about it. If you still have time to cancel, and you want the games or want to save some $$, then cancel. You can't go wrong with either card.

However since you ordered from Amazon, chances are it's already on it's way.

I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Enjoy your card

Wish I had one:D

Slightly veering off-topic, what does that do to your warranty? I was considering it for a potential new card...
I don't know. You can always flash the BIOS back before returning it. But I am not really concerned with the warranty! :)

I always hear of AMD driver issues, but I switched back to Red when I got a 5850 and the only driver problem I had was the cursor bug in Eyefinity. Because it was new technology, I didn't hold a grudge.

I've been running a 6950 for about 2 years and haven't had any driver issues.
Now I'm upgrading to a 7870 myst edition (7930) and the upgrade is going to cost me a mere $10-$20 once I sell the games. Though I am considering keeping Tomb Raider.

If they didn't offer the Never Settle bundle, I wouldn't have second thoughts if I were you. But Crysis 3 and Bioshock infinite have major value, dropping the $280 price down to $220 range... That's phenomenal to get similar performance compared to the $350 price of the gtx 670.

oooo.. wait.. I see nVidia is offering a $150 gaming bundle!!! woot!
How exciting! :rolleyes:
The games they include are:
Hawken :rolleyes:
World of Tanks
Planetside 2

LOL... WUT! isn't planetside 2 FREE to play?!!

wait, World of Tanks is a free to play game too!
*double edit* damn.. nvidia is trolling me hard. Hawken is a free-to-play game as well.

How does 3 free to play games = $150 game value?
Those games all have unlocked equipment and DLC and such, the $150 you get can be used to buy in game items. If you don't play those games obviously it doesn't matter to you, but if you do it's a nice touch.

It's great that you didn't have driver issues, but AMD's driver problems with the 7000 series especially at launch were well documented. Recently they have been MUCH better, but I would have been pissed if I had 7970 CF at launch.

I would take a 7950 over a reference 670 if only to not listen to that annoying ass fan. Aftermarket coolers its a draw, whatever floats your boat. I've owned multiple of both cards and enjoyed them equally, vram was not an issue on the 670 even in surround.

Those games all have unlocked equipment and DLC and such, the $150 you get can be used to buy in game items. If you don't play those games obviously it doesn't matter to you, but if you do it's a nice touch.

It's great that you didn't have driver issues, but AMD's driver problems with the 7000 series especially at launch were well documented. Recently they have been MUCH better, but I would have been pissed if I had 7970 CF at launch.

I had 7970 xfire at launch. I was pissed. I sold both for a discount and got a 690. No complaints with driver support here. In the future, I will gladly pay a premium for a product that works when the games come out, not months later.

I've gone through a 5970 --> sli 570s --> xfire 7970s --> gtx 690 so I've experienced both sides. Say what you want to say, but when you spend some bucks getting top of the line stuff and it doesn't work, you are not a happy camper. AMD has lost my business permanently...

It happens. Look at the issues people are having with the Titan. If I dropped 2 grand on a pair of cards I'd be pissed. The people who buy bleeding edge are beta testers, always will be.

I think it depends what you paid for your 670. I love my Asus 670, but I only paid ~$300 for it after selling BL2 and the rebate. If you paid the crazy $400+ MSRP you should probably kick yourself.

I don't think the extra heat, noise, and likely driver fiddling that accompanies most AMD cards is worth it. I need a machine that won't keep someone awake while it's running though, so my priorities might be different. ;)

Love my Sapphire 7950 OC and got it in excellent condition for 250 used. Lately there were deals for new 7950s around 280. That is really close to 60% the price of a good 670 (one with custom cooler). 400$ before tax (another 40$ for me in CA) for a comparable card is just insane. My whole rig cost almost as much as that.

As far as drivers I do have some occasional artifacts in 2 games: Dirt3 menus, and Borderlands 2 (some polygons flash black for a single frame once every hour or 2). Not perfect, but has not reduced my enjoyment of finally playing all my games butter smooth at 2560x1600 :)

btw I've owned almost every gen of nvidia cards since the 6800

The buyers remorse should be coming from simply thinning out your wallet, not choosing green vs red. both gtx670 and hd7950 are astonishing cards. sure the hd7950 is slightly faster with the newest drivers, but gtx670 uses less energy and supports physx.

With either of the two, you can't go wrong. Be happy with the gtx670, it's a monster for the price, and certainly a future proof card for 1080p uses.

Do you fold? If so than you made the right choice (though I hear a new core is on its way which could change things). As others have said though, they are competitive cards and you would more than likely be happy with either.

Enjoy the new card :)

Meh, don't be hard on yourself, they're both the same. I came from the 2 cards also. Got the Msi twinfrozr 7950 for $312 AR.

From my experience, when both OCed, the 7950 is barely faster. 100-200 point jump in 3dmark11, so they'll still perform nearly the same. But I mainly play Planetside 2 right now and the Nvidia cards owns in that game. Heck, even my 660TI owns the 7950 in Planetside 2.

So it really depends what games you play.

My 3dmarks for the cards(all max oced on air on normal volts) were..

GTX660TI -> 9.4k GTX 670 -> 9.6k HD7950 -> 9.8k
$220(on forums) ->$300(newegg deal)->$312.

If you buy the HD7950 on the forums for $250, that'd be the best performance/price right now imho.

Back