suckurom strikes again...

...this time with oblivion: goty edition. a few weeks ago, i decided that i was going to see what windows 7 was all about, since a friend had offered to burn me a copy of the rtm release. now, a while back, i decided to make .iso images to use as backups in case i lost any game discs, which i do all the time. i did this with oblivion goty edition, and lo and behold, i lost the discs soon after. now, with a fresh install of the rtm version of 64-bit windows 7 ultimate, i go to install oblivion again. the disc images were totally uncracked and totally untouched by anyone since they were made, and since i bought the game, it should work, right? wrong. securom gives me a "please insert the original disc instead of a backup (1000)" message. i've tried everything i can think of, but to no avail. i remember reading something about someone taking a fixed setup.exe file and embedding it within the disc image using isobuster, but no one seems to know where to find such a file. any help?

for the mods/admins: I DID NOT TORRENT THIS GAME. PLEASE DO NOT LOCK THIS THREAD. thank you, and good night :cool:

There is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Making an ISO of a retail disc leaves you with a worthless coaster because the information that makes it a legit disc is not copied with most burners.

a) Playing legally owned games from a backup is a pain in the arse.

b) lol, rtm.

I thought only the launcher had securom attached, and the actual exe was DRM free. Have you tried running the exe directly?

Yes blame SecuROM for doing something you are not supposed to do. Take better care of your shit so you don't lose the discs. Seems pretty damn simple to me. SafeDisc did the same thing. You can't make direct copies of copy protected discs, this has been the case for years. Don't blame the DRM for your own carelessness.

Yes blame SecuROM for doing something you are not supposed to do. Take better care of your shit so you don't lose the discs. Seems pretty damn simple to me. SafeDisc did the same thing. You can't make direct copies of copy protected discs, this has been the case for years. Don't blame the DRM for your own carelessness.

because i'm sure you've never lost anything before in your life, right? :rolleyes: also, i never blamed the drm for anything. im just trying to get around it. try reading before routing all power to the jackass generators next time.

I thought only the launcher had securom attached, and the actual exe was DRM free. Have you tried running the exe directly?

i would need to install it on the new windows installation first, no? either way, i suppose its worth a try.

a) Playing legally owned games from a backup is a pain in the arse.

b) lol, rtm.

a. yeah, no kidding, eh?

b. the rtm is actually very nice. and to that guy who asked if it was legal: i didn't ask, he didn't tell, but judging from all the chatter i've seen around about what people think of it, i assume it's not too big an issue.

because i'm sure you've never lost anything before in your life, right? :rolleyes: also, i never blamed the drm for anything. im just trying to get around it. try reading before routing all power to the jackass generators next time.

I take care of my shit so I don't lose it, especially games. I don't routinely lose things like you claim to. Clearly you have a problem if you keep losing your discs.

Yeah you're not blaming it when your title clearly states otherwise...Its not like this "problem" is something new, its been on discs for over a decade. Should be common knowledge by now.

i know it doesnt help but if you have half price books nearby they have oblivion for 5$ last time i was there.

i know it sucks to replace games you have bought but sometimes that is just part of the game.. your other option would be to contact bethesda and see if they will send you a replacement disk.. some publishers are pretty good about stuff like that, maybe bethesda is one of them.

This must be new. I bought Oblivion when it was released, and I've reinstalled the game from a backup several times since then. Don't recall anything like this happening.

The only game i know of that uses the same securom protection on the setup exe as the game exe is fallout3.

I never had oblivion for PC, I have the 360 version and the PS3 version.

This must be new. I bought Oblivion when it was released, and I've reinstalled the game from a backup several times since then. Don't recall anything like this happening.

i know right? vanilla oblivion works fine from backed up dvds. i wonder if the goty edition including shivering isles on the same disc has anything to do with the securom issue...

i know right? vanilla oblivion works fine from backed up dvds. i wonder if the goty edition including shivering isles on the same disc has anything to do with the securom issue...

I'll have to check my Shivering Isle's disc, but I don't think there was DRM on it. Possibly something new for GOTY.

Honestly, I'd say just pick it up on Steam/D2D again if you don't want to get it other ways. You own the game so its really up to you where your morality lies with that issue.

I had Oblivion, and after two moves couldn't find the disk anywhere (yeah it's freaking hard to keep track of games, when you have a collection going back to 1994, and move every few years!), wound up having to fork over the cash to buy it again. This time I got the GOTY Deluxe version from Steam, so I wouldn't have to worry about digging around for the damn disk. :p

Of course after all of this, I wound up finding the damn disk anyway-- the day after I repurchased it.. grrrrrr. :mad:

D2D will ruin the possibility of playing most Oblivion mods, so I'd advise against that (Steam works fine though). I believe GOTY is the only disc that includes copy protection.

Also the official dlc website has been down since May. So if you own any dlc and don't have it backed up you are completely out of luck. The only way to get Shivering Isles is to own GOTY or the SI expansion. The only way to get the other dlc is to have the dlc installers backed up, own GOTY, or buy Knights of the Nine DVD (Includes all other DLC besides fighter's stronghold).

The disclaimer was unneeded. You wouldn't have need to make this post if you had torrented the game, unfortunately.

well, i bit the bullet and re-bought the game, this time on steam so i won't have to worry about backup discs again :p. however, after i loaded it up with mods and the script extender (with steam loader), i get a crash every time i try to load it (just the usual "[program] has stopped working" crap, nothing special). usually its instant, but if i'm lucky, i might see a second or two of the bethesda logo screen after restarting steam. anyone else have issues getting it to work in steam?

Back