• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

stress test quad core

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 22, 2008
Messages
6,781
i got a q9550, ran orthos but it only runs it @ 50%, 2 of the cores dont run. suppose there is some setting or another program to make all 4 run?
 
Intel Burn Test will hit your quad up to the highest temps you will see by far and away (10C+ more than prime 95)
 
IBT! kicks the shit out of everything. Tests for stability faster and more thoroughly than prime95. Not to say prime95 doesn't have its uses. Prolly good for cooking in thermal paste.
 
IBT! kicks the shit out of everything.

No shit. IBT is a misnomer. I think it should be called TPR (thermonuclear processor rapist)

Defintely gives a good demonstration of how woefully inadequate the stock cooler is, too.
 
Defintely gives a good demonstration of how woefully inadequate the stock cooler is, too.
If by "woefully inadequate" you meant "perfectly sufficient for use at stock speed", your statement would be correct.
 
75 C, E6300 Wofdale, not overclocked, stock retail cooler, and that was with the side panel off the case, in a cold room.

The processor did not become unstable at that temp, so if the bar for "sufficiency" is set that low, I suppose you can make your point. My expectations are slightly higher.
 
Keep in mind the majority of people here OC and strive for lower temps well below Intel ratings. This leads to a skewed (from Intel Engineering point of view) notion of what is acceptable. The data sheet and thermal and mechanical guidelines are here http://www.intel.com/design/core2duo/documentation.htm

75C would not even cause an Intel Engineer to look twice, well within the operating thermal envelope.

EIST also comes into play if enabled as it trades higher temps for quieter fan operation in that the fan speed ramp-up is not "aggressive".

Looking at the documentation above it is very clear a lot of time and effort was made to make sure the stock heatsink would keep the processor within operating specs. It is also obvious that cost was controlled. Stock heatsink can be bought for < $20. Pretty good deal but certainly not a "high performance" option and so the first thing we do it toss it.

But I would not throw big rocks at Intel. Running a typical automobile at the max indicated speed on the speedometer for 4 hours continous would likely result in the engine internals coming out the tailpipe unless the engine and/or cooling system was modified. Unless it is an expensive speciality item marketed for the rich you cannot design in "high performance" and expect the mass market to accept the higher cost when they have no need for it.

Now if you had one of the $1000 EE or whatever they call it now, unlocked "top of the line" and "top of the price list" CPUs yea I am with you 100% - at that price the damn thing should come stock with a gold plated TRUE (and boobies).
 
75 C, E6300 Wofdale, not overclocked, stock retail cooler, and that was with the side panel off the case, in a cold room.

The processor did not become unstable at that temp, so if the bar for "sufficiency" is set that low, I suppose you can make your point. My expectations are slightly higher.
A 75C temperature is nothing for a modern Intel CPU. Hell, I keep my Q9550 running around that temperature constantly. If that really worries you, then I'm afraid you're just overly paranoid. And your paranoia doesn't make the stock cooler inadequate.
 
A 75C temperature is nothing for a modern Intel CPU. Hell, I keep my Q9550 running around that temperature constantly. If that really worries you, then I'm afraid you're just overly paranoid. And your paranoia doesn't make the stock cooler inadequate.

hmm... well i suppose that doesn't matter when you change your cpu once a year.
is interesting to notice that in CMOS devices for every 10 ºC increase in temperature, the life of the device is reduced by half. (as a rule of thumb) just something to keep in mind :)
 
Every year? My last full build before this one was in 2003.

I was just talking in general :)
I myself don't let my CPUs run hotter than 60ºC at full load :cool:

you don't upgrade your system every year? :eek: s[H]ame on you!!!! :p
 
So you're saying my TRUECu is overkill just to get below 75c compared to the TRUE :eek::confused:

Knew that when I ordered it ;)
 
I guess I've just been doing this too long. 75C may be nothing to bat an eye at with these processors, but I'm still used to the old ones, where 75C used to be a problem.

I can't set my motherboard's cpu temp alarm above 85C, so I can't even run IBT on this thing with an overclock, without listening to that awful sound.
 
I can't set my motherboard's cpu temp alarm above 85C, so I can't even run IBT on this thing with an overclock, without listening to that awful sound.
That's why you should disable the alarm. It's pretty much useless anyway, since the CPU's built-in thermal protection will prevent any damage from occurring should temperatures actually become too high.
 
hmm... well i suppose that doesn't matter when you change your cpu once a year.
is interesting to notice that in CMOS devices for every 10 ºC increase in temperature, the life of the device is reduced by half. (as a rule of thumb) just something to keep in mind :)

The impact of temp compared to something like say the up in voltage is small, wile my Q9550 says at or under 60C, my E2180 that's been in my HTPC runs around 70-75C (for many years now) and TjMax on it I believe is 85C, as it's OCed to 3GHz on the stock cooler in a DISH sat box with no fans. :D
 
The impact of temp compared to something like say the up in voltage is small, wile my Q9550 says at or under 60C, my E2180 that's been in my HTPC runs around 70-75C (for many years now) and TjMax on it I believe is 85C, as it's OCed to 3GHz on the stock cooler in a DISH sat box with no fans. :D

first of all i don't know what is the nominal life span for an Intel CPU, could be 20 years, i don't know, so...

I could recommend to you some engineering books regarding this issue, heat transfer, to shed some light on your ideas ;)
 
first of all i don't know what is the nominal life span for an Intel CPU, could be 20 years, i don't know, so...

I could recommend to you some engineering books regarding this issue, heat transfer, to shed some light on your ideas ;)

I understand the issue, and the voltage will having a larger negative impact on the CPU's life span than heat will, overall the chip will probably still outlive it's useful life before it dies.
 
No shit. IBT is a misnomer. I think it should be called TPR (thermonuclear processor rapist)

Epic Lolz FTW!

You made my day bro! TPR... Shit yeah...

I think I may have prematurely degraded ram modules using that program too! hahaha....
 
For what it is worth.. it really isn't that hard to make a program that will make a processor run hotter than Prime95.

I've got a couple that will do it.. and I wasn't even trying for that when I made them.

I could even wager that my Primes generator program puts a whole lot more stress on the CPU and RAM that Prime95 could ever hope to.

100% CPU usage all the while it is doing calculations as long as you select at least the amount of threads that equals the amount of cores your CPU has and can theoretically use up to the amount of RAM that can be addressed by a 64-bit processor.

It can even use an odd number for the thread count :) And can use thousands upon thousands of threads without any issues whatsoever.
 
Back
Top