Street Fighter 6

You can download the open beta from Steam right now. You can't really do much yet (it's only live from 5/19-5/21), but you can setup your graphics/sound settings and any custom control setups you might use.
I still map roundhouse to the left bumper after playing that way for years, so that's the first thing I always have to do.

You can download the open beta from Steam right now.
i just added it. it said "youll hear if you get selected" and then instantly got a popup for "congrats, youre selected" lol
ill fire it up tonight/tomorrow and see how it is.

I think it's online multiplayer only, but there might be an option for playing the CPU and/or training mode. I'm kinda hoping for training mode as I'd like to lab a few of the new characters before diving in. I find that without any practice time, everyone (myself included) resorts to some pretty basic bullshit.

What is the mechanic that looks like focus attack dash cancel? The one that extends combos and normals? How do you do it. The tutorial didn't really mention.

What is the mechanic that looks like focus attack dash cancel? The one that extends combos and normals? How do you do it. The tutorial didn't really mention.

That's a drive rush. It's interesting because it has a couple uses. You activate it by hitting medium punch and medium kick (strong+forward if you're old school ;)) at the same time. It works like a parry if you do it out in the open. I'm not sure how many hits it'll absorb, but it'll at least work against EX fireballs. If you do it at the last second, it'll leave your foe open even if they were doing something mostly safe. It at least leaves them open long enough to land a medium attack.
Use #2 is that you can press it while you're doing another attack (like Ryu's standing hard punch) and it'll let you cancel that move and dash into another move. The CPU gets wild with it and it seems like you can create some pretty large combos with it. With no training mode, I really haven't been able to mess with it, though. So far it seems like the best tactic is blowing through basically everything with drive impact. At least with Ryu and Luke. Some of the other characters look to have obvious ways to deal with that. Ryu and Luke are stuck using light attacks and trying to bait 'em.

The open beta is live. While kinda clever, I don't really like having to hop into the old Playstation Home UI/UX just to play a game. That said, online play has been smooth sailing so far for me. Getting some practice time vs. the CPU helped, too. There doesn't seem to be a way to simply activate training mode without queueing for a vs. match right now...but it's a free demo.

i was wondering why it kept saying "game not available" after installing it last night.

It's definitely amateur hour out there. Plus, the demo actually makes it somewhat challenging not to end up using Luke and "modern" controls over and over. I think I'm something like 25-0 so far either way. Been using Ryu mostly, but had dabbled with Guile a little, too. I'm legitimately pumped for the real game now. Now that I'm playing real people, it's like flashing back to my first experiences with online SF4.

Edit: I'm now like 50-1, with that one loss being when I chose Luke and modern controls by accident. I think I have a pretty strong grasp of what the game is all about now.

Last edited:
I finally ran into another good player, yay! Hopefully this isn't some short-lived euphoria, but I'm having an absolute blast.

i guarantee it wasnt me, i got my ass whooped.
you using the same name?

Yup, just playing as "Domingo." I did actually full-on lose 2-0 to a Guile this morning, so there are some decent players popping up. Some tough matches with a Kimberly player, too. I was 1/2 asleep, but still ;)

my 7800x3d build keeps crashing in game after the sponsor videos. unsure wtf is going on. System is just in amd 65w mode and same gpu drivers as my 5800x3d. I basically installed new and "remade" my old box in software installs. It does it in default settings mode too for cpu and mem so it's definitely something in the chipset or 7800x3d specific drivers causing me sf6 grief.

my 7800x3d build keeps crashing in game after the sponsor videos. unsure wtf is going on. System is just in amd 65w mode and same gpu drivers as my 5800x3d. I basically installed new and "remade" my old box in software installs. It does it in default settings mode too for cpu and mem so it's definitely something in the chipset or 7800x3d specific drivers causing me sf6 grief.

Weird. I'm on a 7950X3D/4090 and it has been smooth sailing with both SF6 demos. No clue what it could be, but it seems like overlay programs give some systems fits. I'd try killing off anything and everything with an overlay.

I'm playing right now if anyone wants to hop in. Something I've just noticed - I think there's some kind of "automatic" drive impact? I'll be playing people that don't seem to have the first clue about how to play, but they're firing off drive impacts a millisecond after I activate mine. I think some of those control schemes might provide some kind of DI defense built in?

Fuck off with these modern controls, how do you change it!? Ive went into settings and set everything to classic but when I play online it keeps going back. It's driving me nuts.

I'm playing right now if anyone wants to hop in. Something I've just noticed - I think there's some kind of "automatic" drive impact? I'll be playing people that don't seem to have the first clue about how to play, but they're firing off drive impacts a millisecond after I activate mine. I think some of those control schemes might provide some kind of DI defense built in?
with a Xbox controller drive impact is just a single button, could just be good timing

How do you change servers?

On the very first screen (where your avatar is shown), it'll show you what server you're logging into. There's a button (X, I think)that will let you choose what one you want. I think there are 100 of 'em for the demo.
Either way, I'm done for now. I had a really good set with another Ryu that disconnected, which was a bummer. Very good back and forth. I like Ryu a lot, especially vs. SF5 Ryu, but I'm really a big body player. Ryu can't press the way I want to and it feels like most of his moves place him a hair outside of where I want to be, personally.

On the very first screen (where your avatar is shown), it'll show you what server you're logging into. There's a button (X, I think)that will let you choose what one you want. I think there are 100 of 'em for the demo.
Either way, I'm done for now. I had a really good set with another Ryu that disconnected, which was a bummer. Very good back and forth. I like Ryu a lot, especially vs. SF5 Ryu, but I'm really a big body player. Ryu can't press the way I want to and it feels like most of his moves place him a hair outside of where I want to be, personally.
Lets meet up, what server you on and what's your name? I'm in na 0471 "TheToe"

I was on a like a 35 win streak and some random jamie owned me. Out for now but had fun.

SF6 is really good! The netcode is great. They did a good job on this. Day 1 purchase. Between SF6 and Diablo 4 I don't really have too much to bitch about!

I really couldn't be much happier with the game. It's Street Fighter, but it doesn't feel like the same 'ol thing. The fact that Capcom has rolled out 2 demos with a ton of content shows their own confidence in the title.
With this and Diablo 4 rolling out at the same time, my family isn't going to see me the first few days in June ;)

I tried shutting down every background thing I could think of, still no dice. Something didn't install or update right that sf6 needs but for the life of me, I have nothing to work with other than a vague mention in the application log of

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.Media.Devices.dll

Only suggestion was a generic fix of a sfc scannow which did jack all.

Some things never change. You still get Kens that piss you off and as soon as you start beating their ass, all of a sudden lag like crazy. And they always do a super during said lag.

I tried shutting down every background thing I could think of, still no dice. Something didn't install or update right that sf6 needs but for the life of me, I have nothing to work with other than a vague mention in the application log of

do you have that file in system32? if so try copying it to the game dir?

Per the Googles, that's related to Windows Media Player. You might just full-on uninstall it and see what happens. You don't need to have it installed and you can always put if back if you like using it. It's under "Turn Windows Features on and off" under Programs & Features. Just uncheck the boxes for "Media Features." I just use MPC for everything, but the new one in the Windows store isn't half bad these days.

Some things never change. You still get Kens that piss you off and as soon as you start beating their ass, all of a sudden lag like crazy. And they always do a super during said lag.

It's the nature of the character. Every move he has = designed to beat anything else head-on, but he's open if he misses. With lag involved, he can just start doing moves and punishes are tough.

Per the Googles, that's related to Windows Media Player. You might just full-on uninstall it and see what happens. You don't need to have it installed and you can always put if back if you like using it. It's under "Turn Windows Features on and off" under Programs & Features. Just uncheck the boxes for "Media Features." I just use MPC for everything, but the new one in the Windows store isn't half bad these days.
that would be my next suggestion too

The wmp install is whatever is on the system which is messed up. I'll uninstall if I can.

edit: there's no real uninstall for the installed windows media player. I'll check if it's a codec thing and just go from there. I had the same issues with jedi fallen order and survivor where in game videos hated anything but the default windows codecs. In those instances though I just straight up deleted the movies so they wouldn't play. I think my only clue is my 5800x3d system where everything works so if I can mimic the codec situation there to a t, I should get it up and running.

Last edited:
I got a couple more matches in last night before everything went down. One quirk is that I'm going to have to get used to how grabs work. After a tic (a quick attack like a low jab), some grabs seem to reach way, way out. To the point that it looks like the character is warping. It's odd because just standing still or holding forward, things look normal. But it's almost like the game changes your positioning after a light attack. It doesn't seem to affect everyone, but it makes Chun and Juri have what seems like a crazy amount of grab range. I think it's their walkspeed.

While tough to defend against, I think it's kinda necessary. I ended up in a lot of "Mexican stand-off" matches where both players were pitter pattering with low attacks and kinda hoping the other person wouldn't block. There didn't seem to be a lot of options to take action in that situation, either. At least not without jumping or just doing random moves and praying. Chip damage is non-existent, so you're kinda stuck. I can imagine the characters that weren't in this demo being better at this situation, luckily.

It's gonna be a long 10 days waiting for the real game. I just realized it's a long weekend, too. What a missed opportunity. I wish more games would roll out on/near holidays.

the game is getting excellent reviews...a much better launch then SF5...

Street Fighter 6 Review

Street Fighter 6 is the most feature-rich a Street Fighter has ever been at launch, but even beyond that, it's roster of 18 characters is excellent, the new mechanics revitalize the one-on-one fighting formula, and it absolutely nails all of the little things that make for a stellar fighting game...

Having played both demos, I kinda forgot there would even be reviews :p Between the two of 'em, we got to play a pretty decent-sized chunk of the final game.
At this point it's going to come down to character balance and the long-term viability of the mechanics.

Back