Street Fighter 6

So I went all in and even grabbed classic outfits for the original characters. The character models and animation is the best ever and my main Ken feels more fluid and formidable than ever. Once you learn the menus and how to cut through the bloat, the core multiplayer gameplay is as sharp as ever. I hope they keep rolling out more content. I don’t love all the newer fighters but the classic roster looks fantastic. I wish more people played Chun Lee, Dhalsim and Honda. I’ve yet to fight Blanka in the multiplayer. I hope they bring Bison into the fold eventually.

The game is killer.

Ever since MenaRD started playing in Blanka in tournaments I've seen more and more of him in Battle Hub. Most people aren't great, but I've run into a few who have been. I don't see a ton of Honda players, though. Oddly, I think the character I see the least is Guile. No clue why, since he was pretty popular back in SF5 and most of the prior games, too. He's also extremely good.
Ken is the character I see the most by far. I bet I see 3x more Ken than any other character. That fact that he's extremely good using both basic and advanced techniques probably helps. Marisa is probably the character I see second most. With her crazy damage of literally anything, I get it. After those two, it's a mix of JP, Dee Jay, Ryu, and Luke.

Based on their dedication to story mode in SF6, I have a feeling Bison will be back in some form. I'd be kinda surprised if they didn't try to bring back most of the high profile characters at some point. If not in their original form, something akin to Lilly and Kimberly who borrowed heavily from T. Hawk and Guy.

Yesterday Keraku (SP?) beat Angry Bird and won 400K USD. Amount of perfect parries he was able to pull was insane. JP is so OP.
I do see other characters. I think Cammy is quite common as well.

But I am still at Silver with Ken, Iron with Ryu and Bronze with Cammy so what do I know lol.

I think Bison, Balrog, Vega and (Tiger!) Sagat will all show up but they’ll drag it out over years.

At this point I'd rather see some balance updates rather than outfits and cosmetic stuff. Even though I like the game quite a bit, matches have become very similar to SF5. You have more tools available, but thanks to risk/reward and character-specific advantages you end up with the same scenarios over and over. In the case of the better characters, it's just a matter of continually doing the same things until they eventually work. They're able to play almost like their opponent doesn't matter and they're just doing stuff. I prefer where the "weaker" characters are because they don't have that luxury. In the endless debate of buffing/nerfing characters, I think I'd actually like to see most characters weakened so that they're in the same place that Jamie, Lily, Gief, Ryu, etc. are. IMO that would make the game more exciting.

I stopped playing a while back when baldurs gate 3 launched. JP is just infuriating. I'm not sure what capcom was thinking. Like I have no idea what to do when I play against him.

I stopped playing a while back when baldurs gate 3 launched. JP is just infuriating. I'm not sure what capcom was thinking. Like I have no idea what to do when I play against him.

He's definitely a sonofabitch and a prime example of a character who can "just do stuff" and only needs to adjust what he's doing based upon opponent reactions. There's no trick to beating him, but some characters can dash through his projectiles via drive rushes. They're only active when they get a certain distance from your character, so if you're a fast character you can drive rush through them before they reach you. He has that reversal move that he can use to stuff wake-up attacks, so the best thing to do if you knock him down is just to wait a sec before doing anything. He's wide open if he whiffs it. After a couple instances of that, you can start adding in wake-up hits to keep him honest. The last thing JP's love doing is a few light hits into his spinning cane move to create distance. That move isn't safe and you can actually drive impact through it if you're quick. Beyond those things, it's usually a matter of trying to stay mid-range. After a blocked spike is usually a good time to jump or rush at him. Oh yeah - make sure you have the in-game audio turned on. The noise he makes for his projectile grab is different from the others.

OK, now that the game has had time to mature, is it worth getting into as someone who played sf4 as Ryu exclusively and loved it, and would want to main Ryu again in sf6? :).

I meant to pick it up closer to launch, but rl said no... Is there a good number of players online still?

Finally, will my old 360 pad work with it? :D

Last edited:
OK, now that the game has had time to mature, is it worth getting into as someone who played sf4 as Ryu exclusively and loved it, and would want to main Ryu again in sf6? :).

I meant to pick it up closer to launch, but rl said no... Is there a good number of players online still?

Finally, will my old 360 pad work with it? :D

Yeah, 360 pads will definitely still work and there are plenty of people to play online. I pop on for 15-20 minutes (on my work breaks) most days and it's no sweat finding people to play.
Ryu plays somewhat similar to how he did in SF4. Projectile zoning isn't as strong overall, but he's one of the few characters that still makes it work. He definitely hits hard and can play both aggressively or defensively. He's considered to be in the lower middle of the pack, but in SF6, that isn't bad. Even the "worst" characters are still really competitive, especially at the level most people are playing at. Ken is usually seen as the best character in the game, so you could also go that route. Dee Jay and Guile are really strong, too.

Yeah, 360 pads will definitely still work and there are plenty of people to play online. I pop on for 15-20 minutes (on my work breaks) most days and it's no sweat finding people to play.
Ryu plays somewhat similar to how he did in SF4. Projectile zoning isn't as strong overall, but he's one of the few characters that still makes it work. He definitely hits hard and can play both aggressively or defensively. He's considered to be in the lower middle of the pack, but in SF6, that isn't bad. Even the "worst" characters are still really competitive, especially at the level most people are playing at. Ken is usually seen as the best character in the game, so you could also go that route. Dee Jay and Guile are really strong, too.
Bought. Thanks for your post!!

Bought. Thanks for your post!!

NP. You might run into me on Battle Hub (the online arena) in the middle of most days. I usually just join one of the first 2-3 Hubs no matter how crowded it says they are.

Worth mentioning, the single player content, World Tour mode, actually has a metric shitload of content. We're talking like 30+ hours if not more. It's corny, but it's also fun.

LOL, so the new costumes that launched today will set you back $108 if you want them all. Only want one? That isn't an option. The smallest purchase Steam lets you make costs $12, which is enough to buy 2 of 'em.

For all the things Capcom has done well in SF6, the microtransactions are 100% NOT one of them. I'm about as big of a fan as they have, but I'm not buying anything. Wild guess, there will probably be a Street Fighter 6 Ultra/Champion Edition/etc. that includes all of this stuff for $20 in a year or two. I get paying $12 for a character, but 2 outfits? That's some grade-A bullshit.

LOL, so the new costumes that launched today will set you back $108 if you want them all. Only want one? That isn't an option. The smallest purchase Steam lets you make costs $12, which is enough to buy 2 of 'em.

For all the things Capcom has done well in SF6, the microtransactions are 100% NOT one of them. I'm about as big of a fan as they have, but I'm not buying anything. Wild guess, there will probably be a Street Fighter 6 Ultra/Champion Edition/etc. that includes all of this stuff for $20 in a year or two. I get paying $12 for a character, but 2 outfits? That's some grade-A bullshit.
they are just outfits, you dont have to buy them. im more annoyed at being forced to buy characters, or guns, features etc. in other games. those are the truly bullshit mts.

Those are downright reasonable compared to some games :eek:, and cosmetic. Still would like to earn those through gameplay. You should see some mmorpg monetization though... :(.

There's a new feature where you can force costumes of your opponents, that way you you can nullify some accidental frame buffs characters got, ie gief costume 3 changed his on block frames to -8 instead of -35. Unknown if yesterday's update fixed it. My gripe with costumes isn't the price. It's the you need to spend more to get 1, ie steam shows I can only buy 250 coins or 610, and the costumes are 300.

There's a new feature where you can force costumes of your opponents, that way you you can nullify some accidental frame buffs characters got, ie gief costume 3 changed his on block frames to -8 instead of -35. Unknown if yesterday's update fixed it. My gripe with costumes isn't the price. It's the you need to spend more to get 1, ie steam shows I can only buy 250 coins or 610, and the costumes are 300.

It isn't just costume 3 - that buff on his level 2 (accident or otherwise) is universal. I find myself accidentally doing that super more than I should and it's now safe from the heavy punishes most people try.

wtf?! costumes should not do that.

They don't unless there's something I don't know about. It was just a bug and/or silent change made in the same update that added the new costumes. They made a dozen'ish bug fixes, but made Zangief's level 2 super -8 on block rather than -35. Before this update, if you blocked it you could land whatever your biggest combo is. It was a guarantee that at least 30% of your life was gone. After the update, the best you're gonna get is something that starts with a medium attack or is the same speed. That can still be super damaging, but you're going to have to use some more meter. It's probably a bug and you really only encounter this when Zangief screws up colossally, so it's NBD.

Here's how it works: https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2023/dec/01/zangief-bug-update-buff/

EDIT: I can verify that it's definitely still in the game, though. I fired one off by mistake (I always feel like an idiot when it happens), and my opponent wasn't able to capitalize.

Last edited:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s0CHm0tWh8

Ed will be on the way in February. Based on previous releases, I'd assume it'll be the last week of the month. Ed was unique in SF5 because his special moves didn't require motions. Instead you just pressed multiple punch/kick buttons. It removed the execution barrier completely, but he was also really unsafe after almost all but one of his special moves. With SF6 already having "modern" controls that are simplified, it'll be interesting to see what Ed's control scheme is like.

What an annoying character. They've got a ton of awesome characters they could bring back, Rolento, cViper, Gouken, Sakura, Rose, Gen...I'm sure theres more im missing. Why him? WTF?

Akuma is the next character after Ed, so he'll be coming soon enough. After Akuma nobody really knows who/what is next. He's the last character that was leaked.
Capcom seems especially proud of the characters they introduced in SF5, so I suspect we'll probably see most of those characters before it's all said and done.
If I had to guess what the next DLC characters are, I'd probably go with either Balrog or Dudley, a big-body brawler (Hugo, Abigail, Sodom, etc.), Sakura, and either Rose or Menat.
SF6 is expected to have a lifespan of at least 4 more years, so that's at least 12 more characters.

Ed is now available, and they actually made a few balance changes with the update as well: https://www.streetfighter.com/6/buckler/information/detail/battle_change20240227
Nothing huge, but JP and Luke got some nerfs while Jamie and Ryu got some buffs. I think I'm still kinda done with SF6 until some larger-scale changes happen, though.
They're claiming the plan is to do that yearly, so the "big" yearly balance update will probably drop with Akuma around June.

Hm, tried going online for my first time after buying a couple of months ago and not trying it out before now. I'm leaving it 5+ minutes searching for a match with 4-5 bar connection selected and it isn't finding anyone. Did I goof by telling it I wanted to be in the "intermediate" bracket instead of the top one? It said you can't change that, so hopefully not...

Hm, tried going online for my first time after buying a couple of months ago and not trying it out before now. I'm leaving it 5+ minutes searching for a match with 4-5 bar connection selected and it isn't finding anyone. Did I goof by telling it I wanted to be in the "intermediate" bracket instead of the top one? It said you can't change that, so hopefully not...

If you're just looking to play online matches, pop into the Battle Hub area. I think that's what most people are doing at this point. You just sit down at a machine and wait for someone to join, or you can seek out someone with a certain character, rank, etc.

If you're just looking to play online matches, pop into the Battle Hub area. I think that's what most people are doing at this point. You just sit down at a machine and wait for someone to join, or you can seek out someone with a certain character, rank, etc.
Yeah, I was. Thanks, I was able to get some matches that way. :D

I haven't touched it since Ed dropped. As much as I want to enjoy the game, I just can't get into the flow of it. Drive rushes drive me bonkers. The fact that Tekken 8 seems to favor my playstyle doesn't hurt, too.

Back