Street Fighter 4 Thread

nobody can beat me with zangeif

Wait a second...are you saying someone can't use Zangief and beat you or someone can't beat you when you're playing him yourself?

Either way, I'll take up your challenge :) I'm pretty decent with the 'Gief-man and I'm pretty solid at dealing with him as well. If you're on the PS3, add me and we'll give it a go!

Wait a second...are you saying someone can't use Zangief and beat you or someone can't beat you when you're playing him yourself?

Either way, I'll take up your challenge :) I'm pretty decent with the 'Gief-man and I'm pretty solid at dealing with him as well. If you're on the PS3, add me and we'll give it a go!

President Vladimir Putin should shake my hand and hand me the keys to Mother Russia with the way i destroy foolish beings who dare challenge me with Zangeif

I'm a long time 'Gief player myself. Dating back to Champion Edition. He's strong in SF4, but he does have a few weaknesses. Sagat still gives him issues, turtle Honda and good Akuma players, too. Plus, in a vs. match I'd say T. Hawk is a bit better...but not better overall.
That said, he's still top 5. I honestly prefer T. Hawk, though. He shuts down the "jump out of the grab" nonsense that everyone tries.

Street Fighter III:Third Strike Online announced!

You have to wade through the minute-by-minute reporting, but it's at the [12:21] point of the page, in between the pic of Guile and the pic of Kazuya backhanding Ryu.

Oh, and there is one more costume pack on the way for SSF4. According to the Xbox forums, after it's released all of the SSF4 costume packs will be available as one download, for 1500 MS Points.

Last edited:
While I was never a big fan of SF3 (I don't care for the character designs or the parry system), I'll still grab that and play it online. I always liked Alex and I'm willing to settle for Hugo as a poor man's Zangief.

The new SF4 costumes look cool based upon the shot they've been showing.

I'm still curious about the new characters in the arcade SSF4, though. I still think there will be at least 2 more characters...maybe new, maybe returning from previous games.

Are the costumes really worth the enormous price tag? I've seen some good ones (my favourites being Balrog's from vanilla SF4 and Ryu's beat-up and ruined outfit) but full-expansions to other games are cheaper than them.

Game is not worth playing online right now. In my region there is only about a dozen people playing it and they're all extremely good, so there is absolutely no fun if you're just an average player like me who just loses every single match. I've fought in about 140 matches and have only won 37 of them. The rest have been to the same few players because there's nobody else.

I could fight people in other regions, but Australia might as well be in outer fucking space because our Internet sucks so much. Connections to anyone outside of us are red-quality lagfests.

I'm a long time 'Gief player myself. Dating back to Champion Edition. He's strong in SF4, but he does have a few weaknesses. Sagat still gives him issues, turtle Honda and good Akuma players, too. Plus, in a vs. match I'd say T. Hawk is a bit better...but not better overall.
That said, he's still top 5. I honestly prefer T. Hawk, though. He shuts down the "jump out of the grab" nonsense that everyone tries.

Wow Champion Edition? Wow I just started playing with Gief on SF4. I never used him before that.

I hate facing Sagat because he just throws that gay ass high kick that reaches the whole screen and Akuma because of those cheap air fireballs

But trust me if your an inch away from me that candy-ass will be getting pile-drived to the canvas

Street Fighter III:Third Strike Online announced!

You have to wade through the minute-by-minute reporting, but it's at the [12:21] point of the page, in between the pic of Guile and the pic of Kazuya backhanding Ryu.

Oh, and there is one more costume pack on the way for SSF4. According to the Xbox forums, after it's released all of the SSF4 costume packs will be available as one download, for 1500 MS Points.

1500 points God Damn what a ripoff you could buy a game with those points

Wow Champion Edition? Wow I just started playing with Gief on SF4. I never used him before that.

I hate facing Sagat because he just throws that gay ass high kick that reaches the whole screen and Akuma because of those cheap air fireballs

But trust me if your an inch away from me that candy-ass will be getting pile-drived to the canvas

The SF4 version of Zangief is the best he's been in a LONG time. He was a top tier character back in Hyper Fighting and he was #1 in Super SF2...but only because of a glitch that allowed him to grab people from anywhere during certain block frames.
Other than those two (and a competitive, but different version in Alpha 3) he's been toward the bottom.

I honestly think the weirdest weakness he has in SF4 is that the lariat loses out to people who jump straight up. I can understand 1-2 characters, but it full-on loses out to everyone. Half of my matches are people jumping straight up over and over. It's hard to fight the urge to do it because it worked fine in every other version...

With SSF4, the online players tend to be either extremely good, beginners, and players that have a "gimmick" strategy that inflates their points because they're tough to figure out in a single match.
I still have an 80% win rate with about 1700 matches, but in the last 2 weeks I've run into some full-on EVO level players. I ran into a Bison last night that was riding a 50-match win streak!

Rolento makes a lot of sense. I never liked Mika's play-style, but at least we get another grappler.

Those chars are confirmed?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

No, but there is strong reason to believe that's true. The person that leaked all the new characters for Super, and was 100% correct there, leaked R. Mika and Rolento are the new characters. Since he was correct before, I'm willing to trust him this time.

Ono, one of the big wigs behind the game, has also stated that those two almost made it into vanilla Street Fighter 4, but where then cut at the last second, and that those are two characters he wants to add.

The only other character that's been mentioned was Hugo, but that was from the "well a lot of people wanted him in", which was said about others that never made it into Super.

So at this point, I'd say it's R. Mika and Rolento

Man, if there's ever been a case of "if it keeps working...keep doing it" that video illustrates it. Not sure why the announcer has all of these crazy issues with it, though. Still, some of that is why Sagat was toned back in SSF4. The uppercuts don't hurt like that and neither does his ultra. In SSF4 I think he would've lost on damage doing the same things.

Knowing Crapcom's current obsession with fleecing its userbase, these could come in the form of Super Street Fighter IV Turbo/Championship/Hyper Edition and not DLC or, god forbid, a patch.

I mean, they said they couldn't release the SSFIV content to SF4 owners via DLC because there were "too many changes", but how is that different from the additional content they're proposing here?

No, but there is strong reason to believe that's true. The person that leaked all the new characters for Super, and was 100% correct there, leaked R. Mika and Rolento are the new characters. Since he was correct before, I'm willing to trust him this time.

Ono, one of the big wigs behind the game, has also stated that those two almost made it into vanilla Street Fighter 4, but where then cut at the last second, and that those are two characters he wants to add.

The only other character that's been mentioned was Hugo, but that was from the "well a lot of people wanted him in", which was said about others that never made it into Super.

So at this point, I'd say it's R. Mika and Rolento

Cool.
cool.gif
Can't wait to see those two in action.

Knowing Crapcom's current obsession with fleecing its userbase, these could come in the form of Super Street Fighter IV Turbo/Championship/Hyper Edition and not DLC or, god forbid, a patch.

I mean, they said they couldn't release the SSFIV content to SF4 owners via DLC because there were "too many changes", but how is that different from the additional content they're proposing here?

That's why I refused to buy SSF4. I had just bought SF4 and didn't feel like enough changed. They should have patched the crappy multiplayer in the first one.

I'd say it depends on your perspective...but quite a few things changed and were added with Super SF4. Certainly more than in any other series upgrade and on par with the full-on sequels like Alpha 1 to Alpha 2.
It was released at roughly 1/2 the price of normal SF4, so I'd say it was justified as well.
This time around they're only adding 2 characters that are still very similar to one another with everything else being a move property tweak.

I'll resurrect this ancient thread to mention that the Super SF4 Arcade DLC is out today.
I guess the deal is that all games patch today so that people using the older version can play people using the DLC pack. You can also swap back and forth between using the DLC balancing and the older one, too.
It's mainly just a re-balancing pack, although they did add Yun/Yang, Evil Ryu, and Oni Akuma...none of which I give 2 shits about to be pretty honest.

I'm a big enough fan that I feel obligated to get this, but I really don't think much of it. Thanks to Sony's great security I'm going to buy some PSN cards instead of using my CC...so PS3 folks - keep that in mind!

I'll resurrect this ancient thread to mention that the Super SF4 Arcade DLC is out today.
I guess the deal is that all games patch today so that people using the older version can play people using the DLC pack. You can also swap back and forth between using the DLC balancing and the older one, too.
It's mainly just a re-balancing pack, although they did add Yun/Yang, Evil Ryu, and Oni Akuma...none of which I give 2 shits about to be pretty honest.

I'm a big enough fan that I feel obligated to get this, but I really don't think much of it. Thanks to Sony's great security I'm going to buy some PSN cards instead of using my CC...so PS3 folks - keep that in mind!

I was about to run over to the PS3 then to download then realised I'd deleted my card details....I'll pick some PSN cards up in town tomorrow as I'm never using my cards on there again.

I'm already anticipating the onslaught of Evil Ryu's online tho......

Yup, considering the only characters I ever see are Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Bison, and Balrog...I'd assume Evil Ryu will join that group. No clue how good or bad he is, but hopefully he's not another character that can easily land his ultra a bunch of different ways (yes, I'm looking right at you Balrog and Ryu).

Yup, considering the only characters I ever see are Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Bison, and Balrog...I'd assume Evil Ryu will join that group. No clue how good or bad he is, but hopefully he's not another character that can easily land his ultra a bunch of different ways (yes, I'm looking right at you Balrog and Ryu).

Hey, don't pick on us Rog players, we have to land a headbutt...which was nerfed in AE, since Rog wins SO many events (1 US major) :rolleyes:

Did they remove that tired 'ol jab, jab, short, headbutt, ultra sequence? That's always been my issue with Balrog. No EX move needed, no FADC needed - just a low jab...and conveniently one of the best low jabs in the whole game.

I played for a few hours last night.
Ran into about 50 Yuns and I can't say any of them were really all that good, but he does seem like a seriously strong character. Just doing random moves produces big damage. That said, I don't think I lost to any of them, so you do have to have some level of skill to win.
I played a Yang who was scary good to the point that I think he might've either gotten it early or he had played the arcade version. Either that or he was just a really good player who picks characters up quickly.
Evil Ryu's style is more up my alley, but his ultra's pretty tough to land. There's a weird delay making combos tougher and you can't even beat out other projectiles at full screen unless you actually start the ultra before they do anything.
I actually like Oni. Seems like he has the tools to be aggressive or defensive depending on how you want to play. His ultra #2 (the wave) is really effective in lots of situations.

Overall, this is for VERY serious fans only. $15 for 4 characters that aren't all that original and some balancing tweaks is absurd. There aren't even trial challenges for the new folks.
Unless you play a character who got some boosts or you're an addict like me - don't get it.

Last edited:
Did they remove that tired 'ol jab, jab, short, headbutt, ultra sequence? That's always been my issue with Balrog. No EX move needed, no FADC needed - just a low jab...and conveniently one of the best low jabs in the whole game.

Of course he still has it, that's his ONLY reasonable combo into Ultra, unlike Ryu, Mr. "50 ways to get Ultra"

Lol... Yun is too good.

The twins and Fei already rule the game...get used to it. :rolleyes:

I played for a few hours last night.
Ran into about 50 Yuns and I can't say any of them were really all that good, but he does seem like a seriously strong character. Just doing random moves produces big damage. That said, I don't think I lost to any of them, so you do have to have some level of skill to win.
I played a Yang who was scary good to the point that I think he might've either gotten it early or he had played the arcade version. Either that or he was just a really good player who picks characters up quickly.
Evil Ryu's style is more up my alley, but his ultra's pretty tough to land. There's a weird delay making combos tougher and you can't even beat out other projectiles at full screen unless you actually start the ultra before they do anything.
I actually like Oni. Seems like he has the tools to be aggressive or defensive depending on how you want to play. His ultra #2 (the wave) is really effective in lots of situations.

Overall, this is for VERY serious fans only. $15 for 4 characters that aren't all that original and some balancing tweaks is absurd. There aren't even trial challenges for the new folks.
Unless you play a character who got some boosts or you're an addict like me - don't get it.

Pretty much. I feel this should have been free, or had a bunch more. It sucks that all my faves got nerfed save for Makoto and Sakura, but they weren't buffed to where I'd like, especially Sakura. Rufus' U2 getting the nerf bat hard SUCKS. Rog's Headbutt nerf isn't that bad, but you can't screw up the combo AT ALL now, or get punished hard. The twins are predictably insane, I played some Endless with my buddy who I beat almost all the time just off fundamentals and experience, he almost beat me down with Yang, his offense and combos are dumb easy. Thank goodness Gief counters them, and I never fully dropped him, he will probably be the only way I beat them often.

On the subject of Zangief, the new EX Green Hand is good, but knockdown would be better. Still, the new one presents some good opportunity for mind games and 50/50s. The increased range on SPD is sick, and the improved U2 help also. His bad matches save Seth are still ass, but he feels overall better.

The EX green glove threw me off a few times. I landed it and would start to set up a cross-up...only to get blasted by someone mashing their Ultra or at least an uppercut. I don't necessarily mind the lack of a knockdown, I'll just have to get used to it.
The SPD range is definitely nice. Say goodbye to the low jab mashing as he seems to be able to grab from further than that, even off of a link into the low forward+fireball.

I've recently started playing with Abel more and he generally just didn't seem up to snuff. I found myself getting hit out of rolls more and his damage across the board just seemed lower.

Blanka is one of the characters that seemed to change the most. His back and up rolls bounce off at new angles. Not sure if it was for the better or worse, but it threw several people off and I found people missing counters.

The Arcade Edition add-on is $15 and is only worth it for the most hardcore of fans, IMO.
You get 4 new characters (Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu, and Oni), of which 2 are fairly unique and the other two are mishmashes of current characters.
Yun and Yang are both extremely strong with massive combos and lockdowns. They're arguably the best characters in the whole game. Evil Ryu is a combination of Ryu and Akuma, although his damage is laughable and ultras are tougher to land. Oni's a little like Akuma crossed with Gouken, but with 2 excellent ultra options. I like him, but he's not that great overall.

In addition, most of the cast was tweaked for one reason or another, but I find that there are probably more characters that were weakened than buffed. Sometimes it was as little as damage tweaks, but some hitboxes were changed and angles were altered.

The EX green glove threw me off a few times. I landed it and would start to set up a cross-up...only to get blasted by someone mashing their Ultra or at least an uppercut. I don't necessarily mind the lack of a knockdown, I'll just have to get used to it.
The SPD range is definitely nice. Say goodbye to the low jab mashing as he seems to be able to grab from further than that, even off of a link into the low forward+fireball.

I've recently started playing with Abel more and he generally just didn't seem up to snuff. I found myself getting hit out of rolls more and his damage across the board just seemed lower.

Blanka is one of the characters that seemed to change the most. His back and up rolls bounce off at new angles. Not sure if it was for the better or worse, but it threw several people off and I found people missing counters.

Abel and Blanka got nerfed for the game's detriment too. Abel could have used a SMALL damage nerf, but what they did was unneeded like Boxer, He doesn't win tourneys, why crap on him? And Blanka had problems already, so making balls easier to punish just screwed up his good mathups (thanks, I can smack him up with Zangief now...)

So what of the Arcade Edition add-on? Any good?

It's worth it if

1) You play competitively
2) You just want 4 new characters and a refreshed game and won't miss 15 bux.

I play in tourneys, so it's basically a requirement.

Thanks for the feedback...I might give it a miss for now since I really only play against a couple of friends "IRL". Evil Ryu and Oni look interesting though, and I always enjoyed playing as Evil Ryu in Alpha 3.

Yeah, I'm definitely noticing that Blanka's easier to punish if you know the new roll angles.
Abel...wow, yeah. I had just recently taken the time to get pretty good with him and it's pretty much all for nothing in Arcade Edition. I find myself getting hit out of rolls left and right, his damage has been slacked, and the Breathless ultra seems to have been re-worked to lose super armor randomly. I had a single fireball hit me out of it yesterday.
I know they creators were talking about re-balancing the game just for the sake of doing it and I don't really like the end result. It's like they just wanted Yun and Yang to dominate for no good reason. So-so characters got random nerfs (poor Cammy has nothing now), and it just seems like an odd decision all the way around.
Oh well - if this really is the end of the SF4 line, I'll just let it go. I had fun, but I never really cared for the system of ultras anyway.
Looking at SF vs. Tekken this might be the end of the line for me, assuming they don't ever create an SF Alpha Remix.

Are the nerfs to other characters just limited to the Arcade DLC or did they come across in the new title update?

Back