Strange Things Facebook Mistakenly Thinks You’re Interested In

HardOCP News

[H] News
After reading this article I did what most people would do, I immediately checked my Facebook account. Turns out I'm pretty damn generic. :( What are some of the things Facebook thinks you are interested in?

If you’re logged into Facebook, go to facebook.com/ads/preferences and click the various categories listed on that page to see what the social media site really has deduced based on your behavior. A cursory check around Consumerist HQ resulted in such out-of-nowhere interests as the “vibraphone,” “mohair,” “harvest,” and everyone’s favorite pastime “month.”

Some of my odd ball ones:
- wonder (emotion)
- Organ (anatomy)
- Mammal
- Order (biology)
- Awe

The only odd one I saw is that it thinks I'm interested in "Dickey Betts" who (and I had to look this up) was the lead guitarist in the Allman Brothers Band (who I don't know much about). Everything else was based on pages I specifically liked at some point (mostly for contests) or things I'd linked to Facebook.

upload_2016-5-5_11-24-10.png

Shopping and Fashion - SIG Sauer P239, Bass Pro Shops, Cheaper than Dirt, Fry's Electronics, Microsoft Store.
Hobbies - Overclocking, Firefly, Fishing, ... Then, Concept (?), Wheldon Modified Tour (?).

A few odd balls here and there, some pretty close, and a lot of perfect matches.

Some of my odd ball ones:
- wonder (emotion)
- Organ (anatomy)
- Mammal
- Order (biology)
- Awe

Yeah, a lot of mine these are spot on, and then there are some that are really weird.

Apparently I only have two hobbies. One of them is the color Blue. (?)

I also had no idea I was into weaving or professional wrestling. You learn something every day.

I also learned that my education is apparently in the field of Evolutionary Biology. :p

Mine seem fairly accurate, though there were a few oddball ones like "Jo King" (who?) and "Toyota Prius" (never have searched for or "liked" a Prius as far as I can recall...)

I had a 'Jo King' as well.. I think I must have misclicked on something...

I'm as predicted. They have no fucking clue, since I'm not using my account as they expect it to be used. I never liked a single post or website or anything ever. Same goes for youtube. I don't subscribe to channels, I bookmark them.

As long as this is what they know I'm fine with it.

• Lifestyle and culture
  • IT and Technical
  • Primary OS Windows 7
  • Primary Browser: Firefox
  • Millennials

Back