Strange issue with riser cable

MorgothPl

2[H]4U
So, new build in Phanteks P600s, using riser cable... and after night long leak test there is no image on display. Was worried that gpu got damaged when assembling a block.

Then I did some testing with riser cable (original Phanteks one listed as accessory in manual). It doesn’t work in top pcie slot, but in 2nd slot it works perfectly.

So, what do I have to turn on in BIOS to make it work in top slot (using Asus x570 e Strix motherboard)?

So, you have two riser cables, and one doesn't work at all, and the other one only works in the second PCI-E slot?

You should not have to do anything in the bios to get the cables to work. They're literally just cables, although I've seen some that have a power connector.

Does the graphics card work if you plug it into the top slot on the motherboard without a riser cable? (And yes, I know testing that is a pain in the ass with a water cooled setup :( )

Edit: You don't have to plumb the card into the loop to test for basic function. The mass of the water jacket is enough to keep it cool for basic function testing, even with no water in it at all.

No, it is same cable. I just put it in other pcie slot and it worked.

And before I put it on riser, card was perfectly working in that top slot - and nothing happened to it during transferring motherboard from one case to another. So I think it could be something in bios to prevent riser being detected :)

No, it is same cable. I just put it in other pcie slot and it worked.

And before I put it on riser, card was perfectly working in that top slot - and nothing happened to it during transferring motherboard from one case to another. So I think it could be something in bios to prevent riser being detected :)

So whats the gist of the video erek? I dont care for clicking video links ;)
Thx
hititnquitit

"Riser Cables and vertical GPU brackets are getting more and more popular for gaming PCs but at the same time a lot of users are reporting problems with them and we're not talking about GPU airflow. That includes black screens, a failure to POST, BSOD's and performance issues as well. Let's take a closer look at why this is happening, how to fix these problems without spending a fortune on PCIe Gen4 riser cables and what else you can do."

Back