• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Strange Case Fan Connector

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
2FA
Joined
Oct 29, 2000
Messages
42,418
Several months ago, I bought a case fan that was on sale at MicroCenter. It's called an "AKUST Reversible 12CM Speed Control Fan.

I didn't open it until yesterday, and when I did, I found it had a rather odd connector. I'm used to 4 pin fans looking like the connector on the left, with the blue wire for the PWM. This fan has a wider slot fit, and a yellow wire where I was expecting the blue PWM wire.

6271048042_17d5fb5909_o_d.jpg


The box it came in speaks about a "Fan Controller Bracket" which presumably is supposed to be in the box, but is missing.

Do you guys think this is a PWM Fan? Would it be safe to connect to a 4pin PWM header?

If not, you think it is safe to use it as a 3 pin fan?

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Matt
 
The important lines are usually the red/black ones with the voltage and the ground. The two others on a 4 pin fan are just sensor/pwm cables so probably don't carry much voltage. Most likely it is just a 4 pin with two yellow cables for whatever reason. The pin ridges (don't know the proper name for the grooves on the block) seem in a kind of weird place and kind of a weird size.

The fan is supposed to come with a PCI bracket controller thing apparently (but the fan pictured uses different wiring and is sleeved...)

Do you have one of those molex to 3 pin adaptors that come with some fans or a fan controller? That would be a safer option to test it on.
 
Back
Top