Stop buying Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because if you want to shop for a graphics card now, you can't shop by price alone. To get around this you will have to add every graphics card to your cart, and see the price there. It doesn't really change anything, or limit the consumer, it just makes things much more difficult. All this translates into is an inferior end-user experience for those of us who build our own systems.

I still don't see why uniform pricing is a bad idea. Enlighten me.
I don't know why some many people are shocked about it. There are MAP policies on lots of electronics and other goods.

The problem really is if it keeps prices high. But as you can see from the different sites, you don't pay that minimum and the discounts are still good. That is unlike many other products like those made by Sony or Apple (iPods), where price is virtually the same wherever you buy it (at MSRP!).

It's still a stupid idea all around.

edit: OP stop shouting in titles. It's annoying.

It's still a stupid idea all around.
Very stupid. Why don't they just do what most companies do near Black Friday and push products by offering end user discounts (mail in rebates) or retailer discounts (those $25 "savings" don't come flat out of the blue)?

Every car part manufacturer that I know of uses this policy. It's commonplace and it's not going anywhere. It's probably the vendors that wanted this so they don't have to compete with cheaper places. They want to keep their margins fat. When you get a card for $100 and you sell it for $300(MSRP) while some bargain place is advertising for $250, you're not so happy and complain.

I'll stop buying Nvidia when they start giving away their top of the line cards for free.

Was hoping the GTX280 was going to be a revolutionary card like the 8800gtx was but it seems like ATi will be coming into this battle packing heat with the 4870x2. Good to see Nvidia facing some long over-due competition!

I honestly doubt that, even if everyone who comes to the [H] stopped buying nVidia cards (and half of them secretly bought GTX 280s anyway, because it's fast), it would seriously impact nVidia's bottom line.

Take this to the OEMs if you really want to hurt nV.

The worst part about this is, I assume, price shopping sites like pricegrabber.com and etc won't be able to pull the correct price since it isn't shown on the product page.

The worst part about this is, I assume, price shopping sites like pricegrabber.com and etc won't be able to pull the correct price since it isn't shown on the product page.

Yep...already in full effect at pricegrabber. All 8800GT 512's are $170

Its kind of a pain in the ass, and a step backwards from "internet technoIogy" as everything WAS moving towards being searchable and finding the lowest prices with out hassle / haggling, etc. for the past several years. Its a temporary swing back the other way and it will gradually balance out.

I'd bet there will be too many complaints to keep it implemented.

I'm sure it will make some vendors happy, as they won't have to compete for rock bottom pricing, etc. But there will be other vendors & customers who complain.

I still don't see why uniform pricing is a bad idea. Enlighten me.

Because it's not. And no, uniform pricing wouldn't be good either unless you enjoy paying artificially higher prices.

Umap is illegal in canada, one large store tried to do it but in the end they stopped.

Mods are slackin on this one.

Not only is it caps, he threw in some exclamations for good measure.

Im with Proxy and nicepun.

WARNING: The following is going to be an unpopular idea. Think about it carefully before you respond.

If a UMAP improves nvidia's bottom line then that money goes back into R&D (cause that is what Nvidia does with it), then wouldn't this be a good thing for our future?

Note: If you really need that extra 5$ off the price of a 100$ video card, you'll still be able to find it if you look hard enough.

i was going to say.....i actually read the UMAP article and it appears Nvidia is not price fixing, they openly stated they are not dictating what the vendors can sell them for, just wanting to keep people from price comparison shopping, which honestly, for someone really wanting to make a wise purchase is not a huge deal, just makes them do a little more research, and last i checked thats not a bad thing, it keeps people from making a mistake....if they take the time to care about their money anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back