Still alive :)

Elledan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2010
Hello,

Just wanted to drop a quick message that even though I have been AWOL/MIA for a while, I'm currently back to lurking on [H].

Haven't folded in a while (8+ years...) mostly on account of the astronomical electricity prices here in Germany (did some moving). If I ever move to a country with less nutty kWh prices, I would very much like to dive back into the fold, if you catch my drift :)

Welcome back. It's ok top lurk around our DC forum ;)

I'm in California where the electricity cost is one of the highest in US but still lower than Germany/Europe in general. I'm using less of my old xeon rigs which is power hungry and move over to AMD. There are some of us doing DC using pi and/or phone. These are very efficient devices.

I'm doing a lot of software development on RPi boards and kin due to a project I'm running (NymphCast), so if those are efficient platforms, I could maybe run those as DC rigs when they're not being used for testing or compiling. That'd be interesting :)

Welcome back. Lurk all you want. We'll make more. For high electricity rates, I recommend waiting for just challenges to help offset the costs. Plus utilizing the heat from the rigs to subsidize heating the home.

Hello,

Just wanted to drop a quick message that even though I have been AWOL/MIA for a while, I'm currently back to lurking on [H].

Haven't folded in a while (8+ years...) mostly on account of the astronomical electricity prices here in Germany (did some moving). If I ever move to a country with less nutty kWh prices, I would very much like to dive back into the fold, if you catch my drift :)
Glad to see another Old Timer back here!

I'm doing a lot of software development on RPi boards and kin due to a project I'm running (NymphCast), so if those are efficient platforms, I could maybe run those as DC rigs when they're not being used for testing or compiling. That'd be interesting :)
Just a couple of posts down is the raspberry pi thread… or use this handy link:

https://hardforum.com/threads/distributed-computing-on-raspberry-pi.1997998/

Honestly a pi doesn’t generate many points for folding at home, but they work great on some Boinc projects!

Just a couple of posts down is the raspberry pi thread… or use this handy link:

https://hardforum.com/threads/distributed-computing-on-raspberry-pi.1997998/

Honestly a pi doesn’t generate many points for folding at home, but they work great on some Boinc projects!
I'll have to brush up on my knowledge, I notice. Guess I do have a few things to catch up on after being away so long :)

I figured RPis aren't great for F@H, since last I remembered GPUs were the cat's pajamas, and Cortex-A CPUs aren't exactly known for being performance houses.

Hello Elledan ! Nice to see you around here again! It has been a very long time! I hope you are well!
Did a bit of a tour around the world, working at a job in Germany, and did job interviews around the world, even visiting the US a few times, too. Currently slacking off as a freelancer :)

Back