Steaming Poo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three words:

Class Action Lawsuit

Someone will do it. It'll probably be coming to a court near you...

Yeah I don't particularly care for it either. I did accept that it was probably going to be a pretty crappy experience getting it to work when I bought the Collector's Edition DVD, just sometimes it sucks being right. Initially it took a long time to even create the account, then it gave me some error, but appeared to work anyway:confused:. Then I went to register product I already own(Retail CE), which took a little while, then said that the transaction is still pending since servers are too busy, but in the meantime I would be allowed to play it. That was a relief to hear that I was allowed to play it, I mean I only expected that since I bought the thing. :rolleyes: That and my firewall detects port probing from friends.valvesoftware.com which bugs me, but no biggie I guess. I am playing the game right now though so at this point I could give a shit about steam for the time being, but if it gets worse I will be steaming.

Well I have heard that it´s actually VU Games that wanted to stop STEAM for a while longer so more people would get the boxed versions I guess.

But okay if you download via STEAM than you will of course have trouble if you decide to download on launch day but we who have bought over discs shouldn´t have this problem. I bought over disc to get out of that STEAM crap but obviously I don´t. I can play HL 2 but not Source at the moment.

But the game itself is sweet. No manual but Half Life has been friendly to make it 150 % linear so you can´t get lost :D You don´t even have a map or a message log on objectives. It´s a simple point A to B game but a hell of a good one. So far at least.

I would actually say Doom 3 was more inventive than this game. Though this one is ten times better :p

AKTHOR said:
F@ck all you pre loaders downloading the game I don't give a rats ass, I paid $54.99 for the f@cking game at the game store came home installed the CD's and it doesn't work that is f@cking BS. I hope you go spend $60 on something that doesn't work and then have others tell you you are the idiot and "you should have expected it not to work u r a dummy" F@CK YOU!!!

I think someone needs a little nappy time.

I'm actually rather pleased with how Steam's worked for me....I've managed to download everything in the Valve catalog;

HL2
HL: Source
HL
CS
CS: Condition Zero
CS: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes (at 67% right now for all content loaded)
CS: Source
DOD
TFC
Ricochet
DMC
Opposing Forces
Codename Gordon

I'm just curious as to how well it'll work w/o internet connection...

It took me 5 minutes for authorization this morning after purchasing the Silver package. I had nothing preloaded...and I was able to play within about 2 hours of initial purchase (maybe closer to 3...but I was at class so it wasn't an issue).

If this stays working for me, I'll very seriously consider getting other games via methods similar to Steam.

. . . worked crappy when it first came out but has worked better since.
. . . should have been upgraded before having 247627642764325743 people try to activate the game at about the same time.

I've been pwnt by Steam!!!:(
steamerror.jpg

Furystrike said:
its working for me....hmmm
In valve's defense, my HL2 experience thus far has been very smooth. I was playing the game by 10 minutes after it was released last night

same here

I guess I am lucky. I loaded the game last night. Woke up this morning, restarted steam, and I was playing HL. Granted, I haven't been reading every tid bit of HL 2 info since 1999, so I guess I am less prone to blow up like some people, but I thought steam was really slick.

From a business perspective, games sold over steam make HUGE margins. They don't have media and packaging costs. No distribution costs (a side from servers). And it makes the games less hackable. I guess I would be bitching if I spent the money and I couldn't play the game, but like someone else said, we wouldn't have this problem if torrents and kazaa weren't around.

I really expect to see software distributed over steam-like services in the future. Granted the servers take a hit in the first 24 hours, but the profits that companies make far exceed the complaints of a few people having trouble. (Like we don't have problems with other software.)

Is there anyway of playing the game without connecting to steam???

Was playing hl2 for 1 hr then crashed. rebooted and now i am unable to get onto steam to launch the game. Absolute pile of pants if i need to be logged on before i can play a game i purchased.

I'll join in the bitching, unencrypting hung twice, finally unencrypted, and launched the menu screen before leaving for work.

Get home, can't log into steam, can't play in offline mode because my login info isn't saved locally.

What a brilliant pice of shit.

phaelinx said:
The other rest of us on the forum dont give a rats ass if you cant authenticate.

I guess I missed the part where we elected you as our spokeperson.

In one ear, out the other. I love thick headed people. I KNOW..ILL BUY A GAME..IT WONT WORK FOR ME SO THE FIRST THING IMA DO IS HOP ONTO A FORUM AND WHINE LIKE A LITTLE GIRL AND *HOPE* ONE OF THE DEVELOPERS SEE'S IT. In actuality, they most likely wont. If something is broke, EMAIL THEM, instead of coming on here and venting to people who don't care.

t. shuffle said:
I guess I missed the part where we elected you as our spokeperson.

*spokesperson.

Anyways, make a poll..and call it "Do we care about your fucking problems with hl2?" and see how many people put "No". I'm willing to bet more No's than Yes'

Also, I'm guessing by how you're defending this 9 year old, that you are having problems with HL2 also?

kuyaglen
Gawd said

I've been pwnt by Steam!!!

Hey guy, I got the same screen about two hours ago when I bought the game and installed it.
I got jerked around initially when I tried to reactivate an old account so I tried to create a new one like you and got the same f---in screen but after a few tries it created a new account, thank god!, and then Steam said they were so busy they would let me play the "standard " game and "get back to me" re: online play.
O.K.
After reading the horror stories here I guess I'm happy as a clam to be able to play single player at this time.
I'll post when Steam " gets back to me"
Bloefield

pbguy434 said:
I have had no problems with steam...I don't get why people complain about it so much.

Maybe . . . hmmmm . . . because they have had problems with it? Just a wild guess . . . :rolleyes:

?

I signed up for Steam about two days ago and preloaded HL2 without problems. I can't vouch for activation since I haven't actually payed for it yet, but Steam's worked fine for me so far.

Maybe a WinXP SP2 issue? (I have SP1)

Is an unwanted but apparently necessary inconvenience to play what is probably the greatest PC game to date.
Blow me Steam.

drewb99 said:
?

I signed up for Steam about two days ago and preloaded HL2 without problems. I can't vouch for activation since I haven't actually payed for it yet, but Steam's worked fine for me so far.

Maybe a WinXP SP2 issue? (I have SP1)

sp2 blows

i still think steam is cool, i just wish i would have gone with the silver package instead of the bronze.

Steam and the game works great for me. There are a lot of people having problems out there. It is unfortunate and if everybody out there slamming the people who are having problems were in the same boat, I'd be willing to bet you'd be screaming bloody murder also. It is good to hear both the good and the bad about something, not just about how Steam rocks, and I'm going to buy everything from steam now. Frankly, It doesn't rock. It worked for me, but that's because I downloaded the game 2 weeks ago and managed to activate it before their server's got a good stressing.

The thread changed and grew as I read through it... dang merging.

But anyway, it is completely unacceptable to go to the store, buy a game, bring it home, and then not be able to play it for reasons out of your control. Half-Life is one of my favorite games, but I'm not buying HL2 until it's a budget title. I'll pay $20-$30, but certainly not $55 or $80. Not with this BS.

For everyone saying "Steam is great, it worked for me"

YAH!! IT WORKED FOR ME TOO...LIKE 5 HOURS AGO!!

Now I can't even log into the damn thing to play HL2 anymore..so stfu about your praise and log off steam and log on it again and tell us how much you still praise it..

-fro

I want a refund. Fuck playing this game, I have a real life and don't want to sit around hoping steam is up so I can play every once in a while.

They claim they cannot give you a refund for purchased media. Guess what, that contract was made in bad faith ("Unconscionable (aka adhesion) contracts are unreasonable contracts arising from grossly unequal bargaining power. "), and therefore, in a court of law, Valve can suck it and give me my refund, plus my lawyer fees so that I could get my 60 dollars back, much cheaper to settle out of court and just give me the money I think.

I'm sick of being jerked around when I *know* that I can go find a no auth patch in a few days and not have to deal with this shite. While I don't know who's the bad guy, Valve or VU, one of them should stop for a second and realize that their "antipiracy" measures might drive their fanbase to piracy, because the pirates don't deal with the headaches.

Valve, I doubt you're reading this, and even less that you care, after all, I'm just one voice in a multitude. Even so, I've said my piece, it's now in the public domain, and when I finally make it through your lagging site to wherever you hide customer service support, you'll be hearing from me, because I, the consumer, no longer want to bend over and take it from you.

I'm very pissed off right now. I played the game earlier for a couple hours earlier without hitches and I was just about to go take some screenshots for my friends.

Now, "Half-Life 2 is not available at this time. Please try again later".

Ok, what the FUCKING HELL?! I've downloaded, authenticated, and unencrypted the files. Why in the hell should I have to wait for their servers so I can play a game that is offline? This is ludicrous.

Tawnos said:
I want a refund. Fuck playing this game, I have a real life and don't want to sit around hoping steam is up so I can play every once in a while.

They claim they cannot give you a refund for purchased media. Guess what, that contract was made in bad faith ("Unconscionable (aka adhesion) contracts are unreasonable contracts arising from grossly unequal bargaining power. "), and therefore, in a court of law, Valve can suck it and give me my refund, plus my lawyer fees so that I could get my 60 dollars back, much cheaper to settle out of court and just give me the money I think.

I'm sick of being jerked around when I *know* that I can go find a no auth patch in a few days and not have to deal with this shite. While I don't know who's the bad guy, Valve or VU, one of them should stop for a second and realize that their "antipiracy" measures might drive their fanbase to piracy, because the pirates don't deal with the headaches.

Valve, I doubt you're reading this, and even less that you care, after all, I'm just one voice in a multitude. Even so, I've said my piece, it's now in the public domain, and when I finally make it through your lagging site to wherever you hide customer service support, you'll be hearing from me, because I, the consumer, no longer want to bend over and take it from you.

yah, that's the sad thing

You don't have to wait a few days for a cracked version of steam.

Emporium has already hacked it and already has a steam emulator for HL2...so the people that pay for the game legit..have to wait for gay steam to come online and for the people that warez it, they play it right away( for free )..how crazy is that? I'd try to d/l the steam emulator itself, but afraid it might have a trojan.. ;/

-fro

compslckr said:
http://1stclasspcs.com/uploaded/welcome to last week.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

no offence or anything, but wtf does that pic have to do with the situation?
:o

Tawnos said:

Good luck. You won't get anywhere. Do you want to know what Valve's customer support is? The steam forums. There's no phone number. It's a smart move in some ways, because there would be about 800 calls a minute from 14 yr old idiots, but a bad move for the person who actually has a problem that can be easily fixed by Valve.

You won't win anything in court. I'm sure somewhere in the "contract" you signed, there is a clause relieving Valve of any responsibility for server lag or downtime. You should also try waiting more than a day after the game comes out to judge how often you'll be able to play.

Man, I hope it keeps workin for me cause this game is the Shiznit!
Wonder if the [H] is going to hold up under all this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back