Steam Winter Sale is LIVE!

I loved the Trine demo, and I was hoping it would get a little cheaper (7.99 wasn't all that bad though). Already bought and installed. I have Morrowind on disc but I haven't even gotten around to playing it...maybe a $5 download is worth the trouble.

Though it makes me wonder a little how exactly it is usually 19.99...having already been supplanted by Oblivion, itself a 3 year old game.

If anyone is debating over Trine, dont. I jumped on it the other day for 8.00 and its well worth it! Gorgeous engine and artwork, nice soundtrack, good voices. It's a steal @ 5.00!

On Steam: "Get a new set of deals when the timer reaches zero!" is there today, which means there will be new deals when the timer reaches zero tomorrow...

Oh, never mind...

Why did you feel the need to repeat what I just said and add the remark at the end?

Last edited by a moderator:
It means it lasts through January 3rd and it will end on Monday. So there is one more set of deals.
are you sure about that? technically if there is another round of sales that will make it Jan 4 as the last day. it still can be interpreted either way.

On Steam: "Get a new set of deals when the timer reaches zero!" is there today, which means there will be new deals when the timer reaches zero tomorrow...

Oh, never mind...
yeah hopefully thats what it means but Valve has been vague or misleading before. if it actually ends tomorrow then it wont make any difference because we will be screwed no matter what we think it means.

are you sure about that? technically if there is another round of sales that will make it Jan 4 as the last day. it still can be interpreted either way.

I'm sure. Its all about how Valve word things. It was explained a couple pages back but when they say through it means the entire day and when they say until it means that day. So if they had said "until the 3rd" it would be done at noon eastern on the 3rd, but saying "through" means it'll end on noon eastern of the 4th. This is backed-up by their daily deals thing saying that there will be more deals when the timer reaches zero.

Trine co-op question - is it co-op only on the same PC? Or can it do co-op across a LAN with 2 copies?

Seems like Morrowind could really use a higher resolution texture pack.

From the Steam forums it seems that this is a good texture pack:
http://elderscrolls.filefront.com/file/Morrowind_Visual_Pack_Combined;56241

but you'll need to use this program:
http://download.cnet.com/FileDate-Changer/3000-2248_4-10549569.html

in order to:

"Change the modified date for the morrowind, tribunal & bloodmoon .esm & .bsa files back to July 2002, October 2002 & May 2003 respecfully. (the original dates). The new textures should now work since they will be loaded in the correct order."

Also, the Steam version does not come with the Construction Set.

Trine co-op question - is it co-op only on the same PC? Or can it do co-op across a LAN with 2 copies?

It's same pc only. It's been a while since I last checked but supposedly they are working on a patch to add over the internet multiplayer.

I'm sure. Its all about how Valve word things. It was explained a couple pages back but when they say through it means the entire day and when they say until it means that day. So if they had said "until the 3rd" it would be done at noon eastern on the 3rd, but saying "through" means it'll end on noon eastern of the 4th. This is backed-up by their daily deals thing saying that there will be more deals when the timer reaches zero.

For people not convinced by semantics of until and through, go to Steam and click on news. They have been listing all of the daily deals and the text for today reads:

January 2, 2010, 8:59 am - Valve - General Announcement

Just two more days of great savings. In addition to the publisher packs and catalog discounts throughout the store, here are the one-day-only deals for today:

Trine
All Command & Conquer Games
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition
Counter-Strike: Source
Painkiller: Collectors Pack

For people not convinced by semantics of until and through, go to Steam and click on news. They have been listing all of the daily deals and the text for today reads:

January 2, 2010, 8:59 am - Valve - General Announcement

Just two more days of great savings. In addition to the publisher packs and catalog discounts throughout the store, here are the one-day-only deals for today:

Trine
All Command & Conquer Games
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition
Counter-Strike: Source
Painkiller: Collectors Pack
it says two more days so today is one day and tomorrow is another day. lol. it seems pretty obvious going by that there "should be" another round of one day sales tomorrow but Valve has been misleading before.

"through" versus "until"

Say you're walking to a tunnel. Directions are walk "until" you get to the tunnel. So, you stop at the entrance.

Now, directions are walk until you get "through" the tunnel. You stop once you've walked through the tunnel and you are on the other side.

Steam's used both words correctly in the past. But now they're using "through" almost exclusively as I'm sure they're tired of using "until" then seeing people complain about that the deals ended that day. They were only good until that day.

Say "through" and they last the entire day they state.

Steam's not being misleading. It ends anytime they wish after the expiration period. Sometimes last 'til noon, sometimes 10am... But if they say through, it lasts that entire day, and if they say 'til, it ends sometime that day at any time they choose.

Somehow this comes up in almost every Steam deals thread.

I just am trying to not have someone come in here on the 5th (which happens...) and moan that the deals ended early...

yeah hopefully thats what it means but Valve has been vague or misleading before. if it actually ends tomorrow then it wont make any difference because we will be screwed no matter what we think it means.

If you're that concerned about it, best advice is to buy today...

Since they've run out of keys already, why chance that happening tomorrow, on the last day of the sale? Then you can't purchase the game at all, regardless of price...

In for Morrowind & Trine! Been wanting to pick up the Oblivion+Morrowind Pack, but hey, this is better than nothing. :-D

So are the sales ending tomorrow with today's deals carrying over or will there be a new set of deals tomorrow for the 3rd, that'll carry over to the 4th?

Hopefully there's a new set tomorrow, and even more so I hope they're better than todays. It's the first day I haven't bought anything.

If I didn't already own 2 copies of Morrowind GOTY I'd bite. Still hoping for a deal on the Total War package. Otherwise I guess I might grab Rome and/or Medieval 2 individually.

I must be the only one who doesn't own Painkiller...I'm assuming that all of you already have it, because nobody's talking about buying it, and I thought it was generally regarded as an excellent game (of course I am talking about the first one).

I'm not sure whether to spend $5 on the Black Edition or go for the whole pack at $8.74. If the third one is as horribly awful as everyone says it is, perhaps Steam should be paying me not to buy it...then again, I almost want to play it for myself just to experience the atrocity.

Has anyone played Beyond Good and Evil? It's on sale for 5 bucks for the duration of the winter sale. I've heard good things about it.

Glad I waited on Trine! Saved 3 dollars! Might pick up Painkiller Black as well. Never played it for whatever reason, but it's the type of game that's right up my alley.

Having bought PK Black the other day for $4.99, I'm not upset the whole pack is now on sale. The metacritics and game reviews for the other titles are pretty low; sounds like Black is definitely the best one out of the series by a longshot.

I must be the only one who doesn't own Painkiller...I'm assuming that all of you already have it, because nobody's talking about buying it, and I thought it was generally regarded as an excellent game (of course I am talking about the first one).

I'm not sure whether to spend $5 on the Black Edition or go for the whole pack at $8.74. If the third one is as horribly awful as everyone says it is, perhaps Steam should be paying me not to buy it...then again, I almost want to play it for myself just to experience the atrocity.
Even with the whole pack for $8.74, the Black Edition for $5 is by far the better deal. The other two games aren't even worth $3.75.

Yeah I was just looking -
the original (and the re-release Black) were developed by People Can Fly; the other 2 were done by different companies each (but still published by the same companies - Dreamcatcher and JoWood - obviously trying to cash in on the series name).

I'm still waiting to buy:

Aquaria
The Witcher
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
GRAW 1&2
Unreal Deal Pack

But only after I see tomorrow's deals. And if I wake up and there are no deals at all, no biggie.. i've already capitalized on so much already. Any other games that I should consider?

i don't know why you wouldn't buy that unreal deal pack, it's well worth the money at that price point.

Morrowwind is well worth $4.99 even for such an old game, it's leagues better than Oblivion

in fact, if they had Morrowwind's story and atmosphere using Oblivion's graphics engine

we'd be seriously talking about Morrowind being the greatest single player RPG of all time

Well this is what my Steam history looks like, minus the achievements. I imagine I'll be adding more tomorrow.

Code:
Jan 02	You now own Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3.
	You now own Painkiller Overdose, Painkiller Overdose Test, Painkiller: Black Edition, Painkiller: Resurrection, Painkiller: Resurrection Editor, Painkiller: Resurrection Dedicated Server.
	You now own Trine.

Jan 01	You now own Ultimate Doom, Final Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3, Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, Master Levels of Doom II.

Dec 31	You now own Darwinia, Multiwinia.
	You now own Medieval II: Total War.

Dec 29	You now own Jade Empire.

Dec 28	You now own Bioshock.

Dec 27	You now own Dead Space.

Dec 26	You now own Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena.
	You now own Star Wars Battlefront II.
	You now own Universe at War: Earth Assault.
	You now own Lumines, Lumines Advanced Pack.

Dec 25	You now own Red Faction: Guerrilla .
	You now own Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within, Prince of Persia: Two Thrones, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Prince of Persia.
	You now own Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, Ghost Recon: Desert Siege, Ghost Recon: Island Thunder, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Ghost Recon.
	You now own Cogs.
	You now own Battlefield 2.

Dec 22	You now own Defense Grid: The Awakening.
	You now own STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

Dec 19	You now own FlatOut2.
	You now own Fallout 3 - Game of the Year Edition.

honestly i think next year i might buy NO games, except day 1 purchases and just wait for the Steam sales

i doubt i'll even play most of the games i bought this christmas vacation

i don't know why you wouldn't buy that unreal deal pack, it's well worth the money at that price point.

Morrowwind is well worth $4.99 even for such an old game, it's leagues better than Oblivion

in fact, if they had Morrowwind's story and atmosphere using Oblivion's graphics engine

we'd be seriously talking about Morrowind being the greatest single player RPG of all time

I already bought it

Too late!

Witcher was on a daily deal already? i'm gonna still wait though to see what's up with tomorrow

i'm running on a budget here so I can't just buy all those games I just listed and then pick to pick up some daily deals(which depends on price too). I'll have to see first.

But yea i'm still open to some suggestions about some games that may have slipped under the radar

Has anyone played Beyond Good and Evil? It's on sale for 5 bucks for the duration of the winter sale. I've heard good things about it.

Bought it a while ago. Worth more than 5 bucks in my opinion! Can be a bit buggy at times, though I had only a few minor issues when I ran it on XP.

I'm guessing on a big blowout end sale tomorrow. I'm expecting at least Fallout 3: GOTY or MW2 to go on sale. Just a guess though...

Witcher was on a daily deal already? i'm gonna still wait though to see what's up with tomorrow
No, I don't know why he said "too late" because Witcher is still on sale for the lowest it's ever been, afaik.

Played it a while back and it's a gorgeous game and a nice Zelda-ish type of play. I re bought it recently through the steam deal thing and I've had graphical issues with it in Win 7 64.

I haven't tried tweaking it yet though, so I'm sure it'll work out. Be nice to get it working with my 360 controller too.

Back