Steam Interactive Global Traffic Map

Also, map would be more useful if it were colored based on speeds, not on download totals. :p

Not that suprising. The US, Germany, and Russia have always been the big countries for PC gaming.

Zarathustra[H];1041374533 said:
well, 125GB....

That's like 10 game downloads, isn't it? :p

Could probably be entirely accounted for by U.S. embassy staff alone :p

Yes, but you need to keep in mind that this is over the last 7 days,

Zarathustra[H];1041374528 said:
Also, map would be more useful if it were colored based on speeds, not on download totals. :p

At the bottom of the map you can select "Average Download Rate" instead of "Total Bytes"

Not that suprising. The US, Germany, and Russia have always been the big countries for PC gaming.

The total downloads isn't surprising, but after years of reading about how bad and slow broadband is in the US I didn't expect the average download rate to be higher than most European countries, as this shows.

The total downloads isn't surprising, but after years of reading about how bad and slow broadband is in the US I didn't expect the average download rate to be higher than most European countries, as this shows.

That is very interesting.

There is a huge discrepancy between steam data and overall internet data.

The only reason for this I can think of is that Steam users somehow are a poor representation of the population as a whole. maybe they are younger and more urban than the average population, and thus more likely to be in the limited areas that offer high bandwidth.

I'm pretty sure that I skew the data when I download a game at 18.75MB (150mbit) per second :p

Zarathustra[H];1041375313 said:
That is very interesting.

There is a huge discrepancy between steam data and overall internet data.

The only reason for this I can think of is that Steam users somehow are a poor representation of the population as a whole. maybe they are younger and more urban than the average population, and thus more likely to be in the limited areas that offer high bandwidth.

I'm pretty sure that I skew the data when I download a game at 18.75MB (150mbit) per second :p

Uh, yeah, so urban people with fast internet connections are less likely to be gamers? I doubt that.

The whole "Europe has much better speeds than the US" has always been a crock. Yes, there are tiny areas that have exceptionally high speed connections, just like there are small regions in the US that offer gigabit speeds.

I've travelled extensively throughout Europe, and with a small number of exceptions, ISP's range from dreadful to ok. The miniscule Nordic countries have the best speeds. but even there it's not universal.

Gogo Falklands.
Thats going to be one kid, the only kid

Gogo Falklands.
Thats going to be one kid, the only kid

The lowest I found (aside from 0) was Chad at 4.3GB.

I actually find this map to be pretty fascinating. There are a lot of places with more traffic than I would have thought.

Also, Internet in South Korea must be awesome.

USA! USA! USA!

Also, England and Canada need to up their game. The Russians consume more Steam bandwidth than both of those nations combined. Next thing you know, BT and Rogers are going to get annexed by Putin.

USA! USA! USA!

Also, England and Canada need to up their game. The Russians consume more Steam bandwidth than both of those nations combined. Next thing you know, BT and Rogers are going to get annexed by Putin.

I wonder how much of Russia's bandwidth is from people buying gray market keys that require VPN to activate/download/play.

I wonder how much of Russia's bandwidth is from people buying gray market keys that require VPN to activate/download/play.
That's a great question. Valve has said recently that shady key resellers and their Russian VPN tricks are a problem.

That's a great question. Valve has said recently that shady key resellers and their Russian VPN tricks are a problem.

Also, FWIW, we're only winning out over Canada and UK by brute force. Going off country-wide population, both places have more data per person than the US. :p

US = 16,800,000 GB / 316 million people = .053GB per person
UK = 4,000,000 GB / 64 million people = .062GB per person
Canada = 2,400,000 GB / 35 million people = .068GB per person

South Korea is always in the top in these lists and Scandinavia up there too but there it is USA and Russia? I don't think so, unless the servers are in those countries so they get better speeds that way.

South Korea is always in the top in these lists and Scandinavia up there too but there it is USA and Russia? I don't think so, unless the servers are in those countries so they get better speeds that way.

One question I always have about South Korean internet speeds is that from what I see and hear a considerable amount of their PC gaming takes place at Internet Cafes, which if this is true that could twist the numbers as in those cases we are comparing home internet connections elsewhere against business grade connections in South Korea.

One question I always have about South Korean internet speeds is that from what I see and hear a considerable amount of their PC gaming takes place at Internet Cafes, which if this is true that could twist the numbers as in those cases we are comparing home internet connections elsewhere against business grade connections in South Korea.

The teens are mostly at internet cafes. Foreigners & Koreans with good jobs tend to play at home or in private groups.

Back