Steam Early Access: Rust

Sup guys, shoot me a PM if any of you are looking to play with a larger group. We have 5-10 people playing on any given night.

I am completely addicted to this game, so many wtflol moments.

Sup guys, shoot me a PM if any of you are looking to play with a larger group. We have 5-10 people playing on any given night.

I am completely addicted to this game, so many wtflol moments.

You guys still playing that WarZ abortion?

So, it would seem that they bumped up the number of hostile animals in Next Valley:

This game just never gets old. The only thing is that I can't stress enough how important it is to have friends that play with you. Hell, even if you don't have friends that play rust, make friends in game with random people, then betray them at your convenience.

This game just never gets old. The only thing is that I can't stress enough how important it is to have friends that play with you. Hell, even if you don't have friends that play rust, make friends in game with random people, then betray them at your convenience.

Yeah, I expect to be betrayed, but a guy crafted me a bolt action and an M4, so I let him in my guest house. I expect him to raid me at some point.

I love building troll houses. I had someone raid me, they blew up 2 metal doors, then were faced with a campfire and 5 more metal doors. They left with nothing and I put up a couple new doors.

A guy let me check out his troll house, it out did mine by far. Two metal doors to get in. Then a rectangular loop with 8 or 10 metal doors, each to an empty room, one to stairs. He had doors on each level too. Was crazy.

Yeah, I expect to be betrayed, but a guy crafted me a bolt action and an M4, so I let him in my guest house. I expect him to raid me at some point.

I love building troll houses. I had someone raid me, they blew up 2 metal doors, then were faced with a campfire and 5 more metal doors. They left with nothing and I put up a couple new doors.

A guy let me check out his troll house, it out did mine by far. Two metal doors to get in. Then a rectangular loop with 8 or 10 metal doors, each to an empty room, one to stairs. He had doors on each level too. Was crazy.

Yeah, once I got a metal base I started putting all of my wood into decoy bases. Just throw furnaces and wood storage in each room so they think there is stuff in there.

Hey is anyone here still playing? I rented a server and could use a few players if interested. It has a small arena mod and I wanted to play with a few people to test it.

i play a bit, but it's very.. griefy. hard to get started if you're on a big server and have no idea how to get started. neat game, though. new server, you say?

Yea my brother and I just started the server a few days ago. As far as I know nobody has stuck around other than a few that popped in and left. We created a paintball like arena for PVP in a small area. You just enter a command and it will queue you into a game match with guns\ammo and armor. You don't get to keep the loot after the match however. :D

As far as the free roaming, we populated the most areas with resources that were usually bare so you can gather a decent amount in most of the map. Chances are you won't get any griefing at this point since hardly anyone is on. Its a 100 user server, so it has potential to grow.

We are new to this type of thing (using Oxide mods) and we plan to tweak it as we go along. I can put the IP address here or PM it if people want to check it out.

Last edited:
I got this as a gift and just started playing it. Got a copy for my buddy as well. It is much more fun with a friend. We are playing on a rather empty vanilla server just to get the hang of it. We will migrate to another server once we got it down. I played tons of hours of DayZ Mod and SA. So far this has been way better. I got nothing but pissed in DayZ every time.

i play a bit, but it's very.. griefy. hard to get started if you're on a big server and have no idea how to get started. neat game, though. new server, you say?

Griefy.. As in kill-on-sight? Is that a problem in this game?

Edit: Lots of raging on Reddit about getting killed on sight. What is it with these games that brings out the inner troll? :)

What is it with these games that brings out the inner troll?

In my opinion most people just want to be a dick and video games is a good outlet (much like those annoying people in voice chat in whatever fps ur playing) The difference it seems to me is that these types of games like RUST encourage that behavior. Plus being a bad guy is always much more fun ;-)

In my opinion most people just want to be a dick and video games is a good outlet (much like those annoying people in voice chat in whatever fps ur playing) The difference it seems to me is that these types of games like RUST encourage that behavior. Plus being a bad guy is always much more fun ;-)

There's no real benefit for doing otherwise, and hardly any consequence since rarely does anyone get a chance to exact vengeance. We actually implemented a "karma" based load-out on our DayZ server so heroes would spawn in with some better gear than usual, and in safer places. Get it high enough and you even started with NVGs which broke when you die. It worked pretty stellar keeping the evil/good populations balanced.

Griefy.. As in kill-on-sight? Is that a problem in this game?

Edit: Lots of raging on Reddit about getting killed on sight. What is it with these games that brings out the inner troll? :)

You mean like the majority of multiplayer games?

There's no real benefit for doing otherwise, and hardly any consequence since rarely does anyone get a chance to exact vengeance. We actually implemented a "karma" based load-out on our DayZ server so heroes would spawn in with some better gear than usual, and in safer places. Get it high enough and you even started with NVGs which broke when you die. It worked pretty stellar keeping the evil/good populations balanced.

Garry is working on ways to try and balance that out right now with Rust. Hopefully he comes up with something good. It's hard being a bandit when everyone is a bandit... :(

Although it does make for some interesting times. I came across a guy new on the server, blasted him, took his resources. Came across him again, made him drop all of his resources and give them to me. Then I tossed him my guns and walked off. I can only imagine what was running through his head.

There's enough douchebaggery IRL, I don't feel the need to spend money just to be exposed to it in a game as well.

There's enough douchebaggery IRL, I don't feel the need to spend money just to be exposed to it in a game as well.

I do agree with you in principle. Though it's kind of fun if you land on a server that has mostly friendly people with a few bandits. Unfortunately, there are very few servers like this. Most are bandit heavy. Though if you play with a KOS/Griefer mentality, it can be a lot of fun on any server. It's kind of cool to see how people grief, some are quite creative.

My only real grief in the game. I found someone sleeping in my unfinished house. I put doors around him and put food & water in the storage crates in the room. Unfortunately he logged in and committed suicide when I was logged out.

It will be interesting to see where is it goes long term. Though I have stopped playing for while as it's pretty monotonous game play right now.

The issue (as with online trolling/griefing in general) is due to the inherent risk/reward system being much more in favor of those that choose to behave in a certain way.

Unfortunately because of this the game at the moment does not really feel like a survival game.

I just setup a new server in dallas.
Hope on and ill hook you up. We have door close mod, /home and teleports.

net.connect 108.61.109.95:28016

Thank you both for posting in a thread about the game. I am sure people of Rust everywhere care what you think of the game.

And I'm sure you aren't a griefer or other basic form of asshole in the game? I do care what these folks say as I want to avoid that kind of bullshit in the limited time I have to play a game. Maybe the whole world doesn't revolve around you?

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to play rust without coming off as an asshole to someone. I'd have naked people run up to me and try to point blank me with shotguns. After a while I just shot everyone who wasn't on mumble with me.

So, I've been playing a lot of Rust lately. I hadn't played since before they moved over to a new engine so a lot of it is new to me. They have definitely made a lot of improvements to the game, though there are still some negatives. Hackers are still pretty common (two years later we still have people super jumping around the map). They don't have admins on their official servers. Their forums are fairly toxic, complaining about hackers just gets you yelled at by people telling you that you that if you can't fix it yourself then you shouldn't expect the gave devs to fix it.

I like that there are tool cabinets now that prevent people from building onto your base or walling off your doors, but they are also kind of frustrating since griefing people used to be a huge part of original rust. The randomly generated maps are nice as well. It does seem really difficult to learn blueprints though. Unless you have a lot of friends working with you it can be quite tough to learn how to make weapons and armor.

im not really interested in playing again until they bring back zombies

Probably won't happen since they always said that it wasn't supposed to be a zombie survival game. Plus, I can't imagine it would work well given how many problems they have with just basic animals. Animals fly up the side of rocks and cliffs, run through walls/rocks/trees/etc. They attack you through walls, etc. Just surviving against your fellow players is though enough as it is.

That said, it would be kind of fun. A lot of people are clamoring for more PVE, but I don't see that happening. Of course, the game is in Alpha and they seem to still be coming up with new ideas every day, so who knows where this will end up going.

Haha, this game does have its moments. Yesterday my friends and I ended up camping some random base belonging to a couple of guys. They had a ton of windows that we were killing them through. They had bars so we couldn't jump through, but we could definitely still shoot them through the bars. Anyway, we know we aren't going to get anything out of them since even when we kill them we can't get into their base. But then, a bunch of guys in full gear show up and start attacking us. One of the guys in the base starts talking in local about how it's the guys they offered to pay with ore to come kill us. Unfortunately for them we killed the would be saviors and got their gear. Then my friend has the great idea to run up to the base and yell "it's ok, we got them all." The guys in the base then immediately open their front door to come out..... Good times, good times indeed.

What's insane is that this game has been in Alpha for like, three fucking years.

While I agree with you, I don't have much of an issue with it due to the regular updates they seem to push out.

Yeah, they are still doing work which is nice. It seems like most alpha games would have been abandoned long ago by their developers.

My complaint is that they keep giving us updates that make some nice small changes, but are useless in light of all the hackers ruining the game. I mean, it's been a couple years and people are still flying around the map, noclipping through walls, aimbotting (this will basically always happen in all fps games), jumping super high, running super fast (so fast that it is basically impossible to hit them), etc.

Oh boy, they are giving us a female player model, now I don't feel so bad that a hacker flew through my walls, took all my stuff, and griefed the inside of my base.

Their hacker report system is useless 99% of the time because the servers seems to have problems reporting who is actually on the server. 200 players on the server and I can only see 10 of them for some reason, if even that many. You can use twitter, but they want the link to the steam profile of the hacker. How the hell do I do that when the guys name is in random Chinese characters?

Even when you do manage to report people through the in game tool, it takes them 48 hours or so to ban someone it seems. Hell, Garry even tweeted a hacker's livestream of himself cheating and it still took them like 24 hours to ban him.

Picked this game up during the winter sale. And man I have been having a blast! Put in way more hours then FO4...

If anyone is interested, been playing on this modded server. Only 3x gathering over vanilla!

#1 Texas RustTown - 3x|TP|Kits|Stacks||HalfCraft|NoDecay

rusttown.us

Last edited:
Back