Steam Early Access: Rust

Has anyone compared the new stand alone Day Z vs Rust vs Nether vs 7 Days To Die ? These all seem like early access, open world, competitive/cooperative games. Sure, Rust doesnt' seem to have zombies (does it have human NPCs at the moment? I'm trying to figure out which of these has the most potential, and the differences between them. It seems like 7 Days to Die may be going a bit further (ie construction, vehicles etc..) in scope than Day Z, and player-killing seems to be more of a rarity in some modes from what they say (ie Day Z is notorious for bandits, hunters from what I read. Rust too etc), but I wonder.

All of these are $20+ games, so I'd like to become a bit more educated on their similarities and differences before I plunk down the cash for one or more of them to see which meets my interests.

I own and have played them all for at least several hours and this is what I have found:

7 Days to Die - Promising - Outlook Mixed; The gameplay was intuitive for the time I played. Learning the basics of the game on my own was pretty quick and I immediatly had ideas of what I wanted to do in the game. Probably the thing that I liked the most was anything I wanted to build I was able to. Be it fortifications to a already establish building I had found, to a moats with spikes in it. The world felt a bit empty but that can come with updates. The game is fun, so it can only move up from here. I'd value this product at 15-20$ at present and highly reccomend playing with friends or other players online. Note: Dedicated servers are a thing here! (I've played 5'ish hours)

DayZ Standalone - Promising- Outlook Good; I cannot stress enough the improvement to the playability of this game, it is so well done compared to the ARMA II mod. Further, they delivered on their promise to increase performance, which was a pleasant surprise. The map has been modified for the best, in my opinion and that added a lot of depth and value to what was already a fantastic environment. The experiences created by this game are still some of the best in the genre, it has held it's charm. However, it is currently very bare bones for the alpha state, there's not much content once you are fully geared; though patches are rolling in regularly adding more. The future of this game is bright and buying in now will net you the final version for a very reduced price. I'd value this product at 20-30$ at present and the full 60$ at release if all promises are met. (I've played the mod 1000+ hours and the standalone around 20-30)

Nether - Average - Outlook troubled; I grabbed Nether in the abscense of anything else, really a dry spell of the genre and needed something to fill the void. The game looks pretty but just never really grabbed me in any real way. I couldn't get a lot from the dev's in the way of information and ultimately uninstalled it as I got a very distinct 'WarZ' vibe from it. I'd value this product at 10$ and hope it gets better. (Played about 6 hours)

Rust - Promising - Outlook good; I purchased this game after seeing it on Steam, based on a recollection of the early info I saw online pre-alpha. It's really surprised me in ways I didn't expect, especially on the side of community interactions and base building. The developer is also very vocal about what they are doing and it adds a level of confidence that they already have a wildly successfuly indie game (garry's mod.) The first thing you will notice about the game is that it is brutal, unforgiving and still maintains a level of exploration and charm. Once you get over the initial learning curve, usually an hour or two, and get some navigation skills; you can get set up and defend yourself in 20 minutes or less on a breand new server. It is here that the fun begins, both on a PvP and PvE level. I won't begin to try and sugar coat the fact that hackers are in the game and there are a ton of them. Good admins and constant security updates are working well to mitigate them but it goes farther than that, by playing smart and intelligently choosing a base location; you can avoid their greifing and continue to enjoy the game. I'd value rust at 20-25$ and while I'd like to say more at release, I feel that it is intended to be a lower buy in price, even if it is worth more in sheer gameplay. (I've played this 200'ish hours)

----------

Ultimately, your preferences are your own but I hope that this clears up some questions you may have!

I love the guy who says he wants more types of rocks...

That's OLDMANWILLIKERS, a popular minecraft youtuber. He just started a series with PAUSEUNPAUSE, named thetunabandits and it is... hilarious.

Nether - Average - Outlook troubled; I couldn't get a lot from the dev's in the way of information and ultimately uninstalled it as I got a very distinct 'WarZ' vibe from it..

Pretty sure you got that vibe because the same people behind the WarZ embarassment are behind Nether as well :p

I own and have played them all for at least several hours and this is what I have found:

7 Days to Die - Promising - Outlook Mixed; The gameplay was intuitive for the time I played. Learning the basics of the game on my own was pretty quick and I immediatly had ideas of what I wanted to do in the game. Probably the thing that I liked the most was anything I wanted to build I was able to. Be it fortifications to a already establish building I had found, to a moats with spikes in it. The world felt a bit empty but that can come with updates. The game is fun, so it can only move up from here. I'd value this product at 15-20$ at present and highly reccomend playing with friends or other players online. Note: Dedicated servers are a thing here! (I've played 5'ish hours)

DayZ Standalone - Promising- Outlook Good; I cannot stress enough the improvement to the playability of this game, it is so well done compared to the ARMA II mod. Further, they delivered on their promise to increase performance, which was a pleasant surprise. The map has been modified for the best, in my opinion and that added a lot of depth and value to what was already a fantastic environment. The experiences created by this game are still some of the best in the genre, it has held it's charm. However, it is currently very bare bones for the alpha state, there's not much content once you are fully geared; though patches are rolling in regularly adding more. The future of this game is bright and buying in now will net you the final version for a very reduced price. I'd value this product at 20-30$ at present and the full 60$ at release if all promises are met. (I've played the mod 1000+ hours and the standalone around 20-30)

Nether - Average - Outlook troubled; I grabbed Nether in the abscense of anything else, really a dry spell of the genre and needed something to fill the void. The game looks pretty but just never really grabbed me in any real way. I couldn't get a lot from the dev's in the way of information and ultimately uninstalled it as I got a very distinct 'WarZ' vibe from it. I'd value this product at 10$ and hope it gets better. (Played about 6 hours)

Rust - Promising - Outlook good; I purchased this game after seeing it on Steam, based on a recollection of the early info I saw online pre-alpha. It's really surprised me in ways I didn't expect, especially on the side of community interactions and base building. The developer is also very vocal about what they are doing and it adds a level of confidence that they already have a wildly successfuly indie game (garry's mod.) The first thing you will notice about the game is that it is brutal, unforgiving and still maintains a level of exploration and charm. Once you get over the initial learning curve, usually an hour or two, and get some navigation skills; you can get set up and defend yourself in 20 minutes or less on a breand new server. It is here that the fun begins, both on a PvP and PvE level. I won't begin to try and sugar coat the fact that hackers are in the game and there are a ton of them. Good admins and constant security updates are working well to mitigate them but it goes farther than that, by playing smart and intelligently choosing a base location; you can avoid their greifing and continue to enjoy the game. I'd value rust at 20-25$ and while I'd like to say more at release, I feel that it is intended to be a lower buy in price, even if it is worth more in sheer gameplay. (I've played this 200'ish hours)

----------

Ultimately, your preferences are your own but I hope that this clears up some questions you may have!

That's OLDMANWILLIKERS, a popular minecraft youtuber. He just started a series with PAUSEUNPAUSE, named thetunabandits and it is... hilarious.

Wow, very helpful. Thank you!

Rust - Promising - Outlook good;
I won't begin to try and sugar coat the fact that hackers are in the game and there are a ton of them. Good admins and constant security updates are working well to mitigate them but it goes farther than that, by playing smart and intelligently choosing a base location; you can avoid their greifing and continue to enjoy the game.

Choosing your base intelligently doesn't help you when it's visible from a mile away.

See: http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/491/re12.png

Also, there's looting through walls:
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4152/ka41.png followed by http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8428/w8m9.png.

The devs will never get rid of the player locator, aimbot issue because it's the same issue that plagues BF2, BF3, BF4, ARMA3, COD2, etc., etc., it's a flaw in the engine that cannot be patched. See: http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4215/o4gn.png

BTW, those aren't my screenshots, I don't own the game.

<Snip>...

BTW, those aren't my screenshots, I don't own the game.

Yeah, that sucks for sure, I appreciate your sharing for awareness.

I believe the esp hack (those boxes w/ descriptions from far away) was resolved in the 1/6/13 patch and the loot through walls fix is in the upcoming one, as stated by the dev.

Further, anyone using the esp/mesh hacks were perm vac banned after the fix went in place. There's a reddit thread (can't link, at work) of people raging over the fact they just 'bought' the hack and got banned.

:D

New patch!!!

We&#8217;ve got a patch for you that contains a tonne of fixes but also some new content for you to enjoy, check out the change list :

fixed open door hack
fixed noclipping
added revolver &#8211; default blueprint
removed 9mm pistol as a default blueprint
added metal bars you can put in windows
quality slider has much more of a significant impact on performance (needs work, maybe tomorrow)
disabled cursor hack for linux, which should hopefully fix crazy cursor issues.
server -datadir is now used for config files. Server owners should move their cfg folder inside.
-datadir default is now &#8220;serverdata/&#8221;. If not using -datadir previously, server owners should move their saves into the new folder.
added server rcon, runs on queryport and uses the same protocol as source servers
console now reports an error when command isn&#8217;t found
console variables now show their values when typed into the console
changing a console variable will now print the change
&#8216;ban&#8217; now accepts a second optional argument, reason
&#8216;banid&#8217; now accepts <username> <argument>
&#8216;status&#8217; now shows the connected players
&#8216;banlist&#8217; shows all banned users
&#8216;banlistex&#8217; shows all banned users, with names and reasons
&#8216;removeid&#8217; unbans a user by steamid
&#8216;say&#8217; allows the server admin to talk to all connected clients
research kit no longer requires paper
research kit has a random amount of uses (1-3)
shelters now use a single mesh instead of compound colliders
made explosives require metal to craft
improved pipe shotgun sound
lowered shadow distance to a realistic level, should help with jittery shadows
weapon sounds are slightly randomized so each shot isn&#8217;t identical to the last
stopped looting through walls
adjusted clock sycronization
fix attempt to ghosting
servers start up faster
pipe shotgun now visibly ejects a shell on reload
bolt action bullets are visible during reload
fixed bug where respawning frequently could cause you to get stuck and have to reconnect due to invisible respawn screen.
bruteforce rcon guessing is punished

Known issues :

Laser sight and flashlight have incorrect angles on the Bolt Action Rifle, and the Revolver

In Addition we&#8217;re wiping all official servers to get rid of all the duped items now that we&#8217;ve fixed that issue

Great progress!

I have been having a blast playing the game in small doses with friends. Looking forward to the 'full' release!

I would buy this game in a heart beat if there would be no PVP which ruins the fun for me or at least make it so you are not forced to PVP.

I would buy this game in a heart beat if there would be no PVP which ruins the fun for me or at least make it so you are not forced to PVP.

Dont they have PvE servers? Thought I heard about that....

EDIT Quick google search says yes, they do have PvE servers ;)

Having people walk through my fucking metal doors and shotgun me in the grill was the most obnoxious thing. Thank Christ that shit is fixed.

I am really afraid of this game

I think it goes with EVE online on my "not even once" list

Bought this game yesterday and find it kinda fun, playing on PVE server right now. What I am finding though is that it is very hard to find food, I keep dieing due to starvation. lol. Still fun and many people keep offering be armor and weapons.

When ya find the right server, even PVP is a blast! I have been playing on one, and has to be the most fun ive had in a game in a long time. Have a village with about 15 others, when people try to raid us, we message each other on steam, and everyone in the village takes aim before they even get a chance to get near anyone's fort..

But even when you are on your own, Ive only come across one person who shot on sight, and it ended up with him respawning. I grabbed his shit, and met him near my village and gave him all his stuff back.

very laid back, friendly server.. Tho we do get a few member who join a little to inebriated, and just open fire on villagers, for target practice. (I have took part in it a few times. ahah)

Dont want to feel like im plugging a certain server, but if anyone's interested. Its the [iG]/[vG] Rustic - No sleepers - PVP - Rust ++

Well I have finally been making some headway. Got myself geared up and found plenty of food, was in wrong area of map before. Went and logged off for the night and someone raided me, lol, lost everything. But was able to gear up again pretty quickly, I had so much I started giving to other people just staring out. Fun game.
Been playing on an official server. East coast 2 No PvP test as WhyMe, lol.

Last edited:
Progress being made but still plenty of hackers going around with their bought ESP/Aimbot hacks.

You literally cannot find a server with a decent pop that is free of hackers. Some are more blatant than others. Thanks to ShadowPlay, I've caught more than a few.

The hacking is a huge deal because of the nature of the genre, and it tends to snowball when people lose everything to a hacker, as many will immediately then go buy the hacks themselves.

On top of everything else, even if VAC does detect everything, it takes way too long to ban, and when it does, they just rebuy. Seen plenty of blatant hackers on a brand new steam account. The game is only 20 bucks, so even if VAC had banwaves as often as every month, constantly rebuying the game wouldn't be much more expensive than an MMO subscription.

I feel like this game is a catch 22. If there are enough players on a server to make it fun, the map will also be stripped of resources. If there aren't enough resources you will never be able to make metal stuff to protect the few items you can find.

Last night people broke into all four of my shelters that I had hidden around the map. Because you can't find enough metal to make metal doors you will never be able to protect your stuff unless you have a huge group of friends to work with.

Air drops are pointless as the hackers just zoom in and kill everyone. Even if you get stuff it will just be taken.

There definitely needs to be a built in ability to share doors with friends (there is a server mod but it should be standard).

A way to differentiate friends from other players is also badly needed.

Last edited:
Tips:

500 wood, 40 metal ore (4 dark ore veins) and 5 animal kills is all you need to set up a wooden 1x1 with a metal door and a sleeping bag to spawn back there.

Ignore airdrops, unless you are working with friends or you are naked.

Don't ever leave your house with what you are not willing to lose.

If you play with friends, be on voice chat, and if there's ever a question of who is who, ask for a 'jump check' anyone who does not immediately jump is shot. If there's a mistake, it's theirs, not yours.

Finally, it's a game, have fun! :)

Finally picked this up last night,. Been playing with a buddy from FFXIV. Is there a particular server most of the [H] guys are on? We just picked a random community server and started last night but I wouldnt mind finding a permanent home. We would like to find a server thats not completely dead but also not to the point that people are spawning on top of each other..

Finally picked this up last night,. Been playing with a buddy from FFXIV. Is there a particular server most of the [H] guys are on? We just picked a random community server and started last night but I wouldnt mind finding a permanent home. We would like to find a server thats not completely dead but also not to the point that people are spawning on top of each other..

I'm playing here - net.connect 23.239.111.194:28085

Fairly friendly players, some bandits. Door sharing and active admin. Not too many players yet so plentiful resources, especially in the northern part of the map (almost everyone lives in the south).

Me and 5 buddies have just started a new server. Looking for cool, reasonable players to join.

This is a STABLE, non sleeper server with the oxide mod installed. (Which means there is door sharing and half crafting)

We have active admins that are always there and willing to help.

Absolutely no hackers. Hacking is in no way tolerated. Also we are not the type of server that says this while the admins spawn unlimited resources for themselves!

To join, open the F1 menu and paste: net.connect 23.19.59.250:28015

The name of the server should now show something like this in your history: [PHX] The Founders - Oxide - Active admins

PM if you have any questions =)

Just offering some new impressions: Rust has created some of the most intense and retold stories in gaming (at least in recent history) for me and my friends. I wouldn't bother playing Rust though unless you have a friend or two to pair up with - teaming up is a must if you want to get properly far. Fucking epic, particularly for something that is technically early in development.

Just offering some new impressions: Rust has created some of the most intense and retold stories in gaming (at least in recent history) for me and my friends.

Yeah, they got a ton of inspiration from DayZ it sounds like

Does anyone here regret purchasing Rust? A few of my friends (myself included) are searching for a new game to play. We decided not to do DayZ because it looks pretty broken in its current state. Is Rust polished enough right now that it's both playable and enjoyable?

Yeah, they got a ton of inspiration from DayZ it sounds like

Definitely (just by way of clarification, the game started as a proof of concept copy of Day Z), but as an owner of both I can say I enjoy Rust infinitely more. It's so much more immediate, but still has an engaging longer term gameplay. A ton of fun.

Also, I highly recommend playing on servers with a minimum of 40-50 people. That's when you really get the :mad: and :eek: and :D and :confused: that comes with rust :)

Last edited:
This game can really be a blast. They definitely have a lot of things to balance out but it's still a lot of fun. I'm glad to see that they (the developers) are keeping in touch with the players on their website. It's nice to know that they know our complaints. Who knows if they will be able to fix them, but at least they know about them.

I've spent the last week playing on a low pop server, which has been rough in that everyone has guns and explosive charges, but it has also been good in that I was able to get a much better understanding of the map layout and how to play. I mean, it seems like it should be obvious, but it is amazing how many people you see running around with rocks until they die and then doing it all over again.

Bows are super useful. Two hits take down a deer which is so much better than sneak attacking them with your melee tool.

A lot of time it is easier to craft a hatchet than it is to craft a stone hatchet, especially if you can find a furnace that someone has left out in the open.

Picked this up and having a blast so far, playing with 3 other friends. Pretty stable for an Alpha build and the future looks very promising!

Does anyone have any tips for finding, and retrieving airdrops?

I take off as soon as i see them, but i can never manage to find the drops

Does anyone have any tips for finding, and retrieving airdrops?

I take off as soon as i see them, but i can never manage to find the drops

Reaching the location where they dropped shouldn't be too difficult - just run in the direction you see them (surprise!). The trick is getting there before everyone else, and not getting shot up while A. looting a crate or B. running from a crate. *Definitely* go with a group (this goes for much of Rust). Even if it's only two people, you'll have infinitely better luck. People typically come well armed when chasing air drops, so often you'll get just as great gear from the peeps you kill getting to the air drop vs the gear in the crates themselves (excluding explosives). Also, if you're having trouble getting the drops, it's likely because others got there before you; only if the drop is REASONABLY close do you typically have a chance, unless the server you're playing on is low pop.

What I do is, if I am in my house and I hear it, quickly stash everything I am carrying and suicide. Continue suiciding and looking in the sky until I am close and then run towards it.

I do this for a few reasons:

Fastest travel
Nothing to lose

Also, don't grab everything. You don't need low quality metal. Prioritize explosive charges, or explosives themselves if you don't have them researched -- then supply drop grenades, then ammo. Grab fast and get out. Don't try for more than one crate unless they are very close to each other.

Good luck!

Does anyone here regret purchasing Rust? A few of my friends (myself included) are searching for a new game to play. We decided not to do DayZ because it looks pretty broken in its current state. Is Rust polished enough right now that it's both playable and enjoyable?

It's $20 and in alpha. I felt kind of dirty paying for an Alpha, but I've had a lot of fun. No regrets so far, but some of the shinny-ness is still there. In a week or two I may feel different. Though this is the first game where I wake up and want to log in and check things out before heading to work. (Playing pvp, sleeper, no mods server.)

I will add this, expect to lose everything, multiple times. At the same time, I've had people give me guns, ammo, armor and more. Guy gave me a house and 2 metal doors to put on it.

Is it polished enough? Sure, I mean, it functions well. I don't regret buying it simply because I didn't buy it, a friend bought it for me. I don't play it though after putting in...idk, 12-20 hours or so. There's just not that much to do and the combat mechanics aren't exactly great. It might get better, and if it does I'll give it another shot, but for now I'm not interested in playing it any more.

37 hours played, and I still enjoy it. I would be plenty happy paying $60 for a game that net me that kind of playtime, enjoyment, and unique experiences!

I would reiterate that the funfactor of Rust is entirely predicated on A. playing with at least one friend, ideally more, and B. playing on a server that is decently populated (>40 people, ideally <80). The only exception to that is when you are first starting out and want to learn the basic mechanics - then playing on an empty server is very useful.

I'm excited to see the devs keep iterating on the game. They have been very vocal so far, and have been pretty good about putting out new updates. I wonder how or if they will scale their team/resources given the sheer amount of people that bought the game. Do people feel the developer is now obligated to hire new folks to develop the game more quickly? Would achieving their development goals more quickly help them in the longer run? Or is it unreasonable to say that the developer should change their course, and that success does not obligate them to expand their scope?

Apparently I have 144 hours in Rust so far. I'm going to have to find a new server though. The one I was playing on has kind of died off.

They released an update today. They got rid of zombies... but crazy rainbow animals aren't a better solution.

O_O

I can't wait to get home to see this, lol.

EDIT:

Zombies Were Removed

Yep. We did it. We decided we couldn&#8217;t hold off any longer. The longer we keep zombies in &#8211; the more complaints we&#8217;d get about removing them. We are forcing ourselves to deal with it. We are no longer a zombie survival game! They&#8217;ve been replaced with red bears and wolves. You hate them. We know. They&#8217;re just plugging a gap for now. All will be revvvealed.

Wildlife Was Improved
&#8226;no longer exploitable by walking backwards
&#8226;fears hostile wildlife
&#8226;reacts to gunshots
&#8226;hostile wildlife retreats if it cannot find a path to you
&#8226;wildlife should not jump up and switch to random angles anymore
&#8226;removed white wolf

Resource Objects Were Improved
&#8226;added new models for wood & stone resources
&#8226;wood & stone resources change model to indicate their quantity
&#8226;added another stone resource &#8211; contains mostly stone

Other Changes
&#8226;fixed bugs with the level (such as rocks intersecting buildings)
&#8226;the &#8216;oil tank&#8217; area has been modified with cover
&#8226;workbenches make you craft faster when standing next to them <------------ YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
&#8226;added new player animations
&#8226;improved melee attack animations
&#8226;added locked backpacks and lockpicks test ( off by default )

&#8226;-when you die your backpack is locked for everyone else but you for a time
&#8226;-someone else can use a lockpick tool to bypass this time
&#8226;-lockpick tools are a default blueprint
&#8226;-you can&#8217;t use lockpicks on doors
&#8226;-the amount of time the backpack is locked for is per-server and can be set to 0
&#8226;footstep sounds will never play the same sound as the one previously played
&#8226;grass textures have been improved

Last edited:
I finally did it, I managed to get a structure with a metal door on one of the 200 official servers. I seriously got it in place just in time as 60 seconds after I placed it some guy broke through my wood door on my outer room. It's amazing how quick you can start to save stuff up when you don't really have to worry about raiders breaking in. I mean, sure there is c4, but that isn't super easy to acquire when there are 190 other people on the server.

I don't see much improvement in craft times even with the workbench. I still end up alt tabbing while it crafts stuff.

Also, I hate the new stone resource. Sure, it's fine if you are a noob, but after you get enough stone to make a furnace it is pretty much unnecessary other than for arrows. Most people complain already that they just want sulfur and metal ore and not more stupid stones.

Back