Steam Early Access: Rust

Shantarr.Dalrae

[H]ard|Gawd
This game, so far, has been very enjoyable with friends. Enjoyable and -brutal-.

The graphics feel somewhat in the neighborhood and feel of the quality in farcry 3, but toned down for multiplayer.

Anyways, I wanted to let you guys know that I think it's pretty cool and share some funny and epic moments I had @ www.youtube.com/shantarr

If anyone would like pointers on the game, let me know.

Never seen a game with that many wangs hanging out in my life. Looks pretty cool besides that lol.

Never seen a game with that many wangs hanging out in my life. Looks pretty cool besides that lol.

Alpha just got a push to add a new censor method to the game, so you won't see that anymore, if that was a deterrent.

bout time we had a game that allowed us to actually rock with our cocks out

So here's my question; what's preventing like 5 people who have nothing else to do but play RUST all day to just team up and steamroll everyone else time and again?

So how does this game currently compare to what was The War Z? (I stopped playing some months before they switched to "Infestation Stories" or whatever).

So here's my question; what's preventing like 5 people who have nothing else to do but play RUST all day to just team up and steamroll everyone else time and again?

Isn't that just how it goes in these games? Plus five people travelling together means there are five targets close together for a sneaky people who want to kill them :D

Yes, the base texture level and art direction; not so much the sheer volume of assets. The sounds are fantastic as well!

Eh...no, you'd have to be smoking crack to think this looks as good as Far Cry 3:

ss_d710eece537889b8e16056bd9634d587d02dd421.1920x1080.jpg

Far-Cry-3-3.jpg

Is this done by the same devs that did WarZ? It looks interesting, but I don't want to even entertain supporting those devs.

It's by the man behind Garry's Mod

ah thanks, I think I read something about this from RPS in the discussion about Garry's Mod. I'll keep an eye on this, looks like it might be promising.

Nicely written, but it also very clearly spells out the biggest problem with Rust; when you log off you lose everything.

No matter what you do, there will always be someone else who has more people, bigger guns, and more explosives, to take from you what took you dozens or hundreds of hours to create.

No thanks.

Not to the best of my knowledge, no, not yet; at least not by design. You could always find an empty server, I suppose!

@Thuleman,

Going on 4 days without having been raided, on a 24/7 full server with a cap of 128. Intelligent design wins over raids. :D

Going on 4 days without having been raided, on a 24/7 full server with a cap of 128. Intelligent design wins over raids. :D

The longer you go on without being raided the bigger the loss is when you inevitably are going to get raided.

It's probably a cool mechanic for people who can log in and play several hours a day, casual gamers need not apply though.

Eh i snagged this a few days ago. Now for my perspective on this genre, Ive never been a fan. Dunno what made me buy this, for now im just gonna blame it on alcohol, and money sitting in my steam wallet..

Anyways. Bought this Saturday evening, about 5pm. Downloaded, loaded it up, got into a PVP server and got my ass handed to me royally. Dunno why you would shoot a guy with a rock, saying he is friendly in the mic, but anyways.

Found a few people that helped me get a grasp, and once you get that first beretta pistol, game on.. Game definitely picked up from there.

It is annoying to work hard for supplies, then to log back on and have it all stolen, but thats why i play on No sleep servers, so basically you can keep all youre valuable items on you and they cant touch em while you are gone..

And for the people who also haate having to fight/defend against other people, you can just join a PVE server, No damage to players, just Zombies and animals. Free to build and explore, tho you will occasionally come across a few assholes who like to raid peoples shit over night.

Other than that, I have been hooked on this game, and I have absolutely no clue why, Its such a simple game.. Its just addicting.. I have 53 hours since Saturday.. Hell that is more than Bf4 in the same time frame.

So if anyone else is playing hit me up, Id love to help out, or squad up with some fellow [H] members.

Steam is tipsysmile

I absolutely hate how every AMA is on Retardit these days. Even if they would pay me I wouldn't use that site.

Seems like a fun game, thought just like DayZ it felt impossible to find my friend in a reasonable amount of time...we both ended up quitting before finding each other. Any tips, other than 'find south'?

Seems like a fun game, thought just like DayZ it felt impossible to find my friend in a reasonable amount of time...we both ended up quitting before finding each other. Any tips, other than 'find south'?

If you have a second monitor available to you try using Rustmap.net. This along with spending some time exploring the landscape and learning where the road and primary building are should allow you to navigate the world much quicker. Your frustration is certainly understandable though it's quite difficult to gain your bearings when you're starting out in Rust.

If you have a second monitor available to you try using Rustmap.net. This along with spending some time exploring the landscape and learning where the road and primary building are should allow you to navigate the world much quicker. Your frustration is certainly understandable though it's quite difficult to gain your bearings when you're starting out in Rust.

Yeah I think I'll use my tablet or something similar. I did just find out that servers running rust++ have a /location function which gives coordinates! I'll try that this evening.

Hit F1 to bring up the console

Type "suicide" without the quotes and press enter

Keep doing this until you see a town with concrete walls around it (2 have smoke stacks, one doesn't)

Have your friend do this to meet up with you.

---

This will be the fastest way for you.

Hit F1 to bring up the console

Type "suicide" without the quotes and press enter

Keep doing this until you see a town with concrete walls around it (2 have smoke stacks, one doesn't)

Have your friend do this to meet up with you.

---

This will be the fastest way for you.

DUDE awesome, thank you!

The game is really awesome, but hacking has gotten as much or more prevalent than it was in DayZ. It's killing the game fast, and I don't think the dev really knows how to stop it. He picked a really amateur engine for the game (Unity) because of how noob friendly it is (UDK would have been a far superior option), and the engine is like swiss cheese for even the most simple hacks and glitches.

The game is really awesome, but hacking has gotten as much or more prevalent than it was in DayZ. It's killing the game fast, and I don't think the dev really knows how to stop it. He picked a really amateur engine for the game (Unity) because of how noob friendly it is (UDK would have been a far superior option), and the engine is like swiss cheese for even the most simple hacks and glitches.

Yeah, he's got his work cut out for him, but he's allowing admins to actually... admin... their own servers. This is a HUGE step in the right direction, in my opinion!

He's also resolved the DDOS exploits and is now targeting the noclip issues.

For now, a 50'ish person server is the best, with active and non-abusive admins.

If you would like, I can offer up a server that some friends maintain, it was wiped yesterday! Just let me know if that interests anyone. :)

Last edited:
Has anyone compared the new stand alone Day Z vs Rust vs Nether vs 7 Days To Die ? These all seem like early access, open world, competitive/cooperative games. Sure, Rust doesnt' seem to have zombies (does it have human NPCs at the moment? I'm trying to figure out which of these has the most potential, and the differences between them. It seems like 7 Days to Die may be going a bit further (ie construction, vehicles etc..) in scope than Day Z, and player-killing seems to be more of a rarity in some modes from what they say (ie Day Z is notorious for bandits, hunters from what I read. Rust too etc), but I wonder.

All of these are $20+ games, so I'd like to become a bit more educated on their similarities and differences before I plunk down the cash for one or more of them to see which meets my interests.

Im a kickstarter backer for 7 days to die and really appreciate the game. Its in Alpha yes , but its still very well done and the updates are frequent and great.

In 7d2d , the world is set , its not randomly generated. Everything is destructible. You also have a crafting system a la minecraft , but you already have the recipe and pattern in a list , you just need to add the right materials.

there is nothing gamebreaking in 7d2d , even in alpha wich is great!They do need to work on sound , the zombies are WAY too loud.

the best ''lets plays'' series for 7d2d is rhinocrunch one! http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfA8IyHrVZ9nUAFux8atgrSLpXIKAojfU

Back