Steam Discussion Thread

Hi. I have question. Today steam was auto updated and there was a list of changes pop in. Then i click restart and nothing happened. Then i manually start again steam. Did this happen to somebody?
The update can sometimes take a minute or two. It depends on what kind of drive Steam is installed on. If it takes more than 5 minutes I will check Task Manager to see if anything is actually running. At that point I will either close the non-responding instance if the process is listed but with no drive or CPU activity, or start it up again if not. I typically don't restart Steam on a new update unless there is a fix or update I see in the release notes that I want, regardless. It's usually nothing urgent or important, and I'll get it on my next PC reboot.

Steam Client Beta overhauls downloads page and storage management

A beta update for Steam rolled out in July that overhauled the downloads page to make it more informative and easier to understand...it also made much-needed changes to the storage manager that greatly simplifies the process of moving games between multiple drives...the update was restricted to Steam users who were opted into the client beta channel at the time, but it's now been rolled out to everyone...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/2941402621044012222

Reactions: DPI
like this
The weird thing about the new downloads screen is that at least on my system, it shows all of those games that love to automatically verify every time I launch Steam. Only about 1/5 of the things I see in the downloads tab are actually real downloaded updates.

Steam will now tell you how much space a game requires before you try to install it

Valve is making a change to Steam that will finally let users see how much storage space a game requires without having to try to install it first...if you're signed up for the Steam beta client program, you can take advantage of the new feature right now...

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-will-...a-game-requires-before-you-try-to-install-it/

2022 Steam Summer Sale is now live...I was hoping for a bigger discount for God of War...I'll probably wait until the Winter Sale to pick up that along with Dying Light 2

So far I'm seeing games I already own or are part of GamePass. Then again, the last 2 years have had so few games, I don't even know what else they can even do.

All of these games seem to go on sale every 3 to 4 weeks anyway. If you wanted anything it's come up multiple times. Putting everything you've already bought or passed on for zero extra discount at once doesn't thrill me.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
Almost nothing on my wishlist has a deeper discount than 30%. Steam sales have been terrible since they got rid of flash sales and whatnot.

The publishers set the discount during sale periods, not Steam.
I know. However, steam used to be a good marketing tool before they allowed anyone and everyone to publish for just $100. Back then, it made sense to allow valve to do a flash sale for publicity's sake. Not anymore.

Almost nothing on my wishlist has a deeper discount than 30%. Steam sales have been terrible since they got rid of flash sales and whatnot.
Well I got 2 at -75% and 1 at -60% (out of the 7 games on my list)

I bought 3 games, shadow of the tomb raider, wolfenstein 2 the new colossus and mafia 3 definite edition, and when will i play is a question.
I still have a bunch of games I haven't played at all like mgs 5 phantom pain, farcry4, crysis 3 etc., these 3 I started playing and gave up, somehow I don't like any of them.I have more games on other platforms as well.
So far I only like rdr2,no way to run into another game that would entertain me.
And yes, james bond 007 nightfire is not on offer at all.

Last edited:
Got Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous for $25 Loved the first and have been waiting on a sale for this one.

I picked up the new blood fps trilogy bundle (amid evil, dusk, ultrakill). It was well worth it...instantly in love with these. Amid Evil looks incredible with RTX+DLSS at 4K. I didn't even plan on purchasing anything this sale, but I wanted some new stuff to play while I waited for battlenet funds to clear. I'm happy I pulled the trigger on these. Project Warlock II, Nightmare Reaper, Ion Fury, and Postal: Brain Damaged are now also on my radar.

7416b54899d77831ea715537916b90e177e7e56f.png

Looks bloated to me. Overlay should be something minimalist, time, friends, ability to click on friends and join their game. Guides? Screen shots while in game? Looks like a mess. The note thing is okay, but I have used .txt files for that as it does the same thing and works with non-Steam games. Screen shot viewer, might be better.

this is pretty cool...it has almost the same window as Valve's 2-hour return policy so I guess they are hoping it'll reduce the number of returns...

Steam Introduces 90-Minute Game Trials; Dead Space is the First to Offer a Trial

Thanks to Steam Game Trials you can play 90 minutes of the applicable game for free before you’ll be asked to purchase the game...beyond that, players will have to purchase the game to proceed further

accessing the Dead Space free game trial is as simple as finding the game on the Steam Store and selecting the button labeled “Try Dead Space - Free Trial” ...the store page will tell you how much time you’re allotted (excluding the time taken to install it)...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/s...trials-starting-with-dead-space/1100-6514177/

this is pretty cool...it has almost the same window as Valve's 2-hour return policy so I guess they are hoping it'll reduce the number of returns...

Steam Introduces 90-Minute Game Trials; Dead Space is the First to Offer a Trial

Thanks to Steam Game Trials you can play 90 minutes of the applicable game for free before you’ll be asked to purchase the game...beyond that, players will have to purchase the game to proceed further

accessing the Dead Space free game trial is as simple as finding the game on the Steam Store and selecting the button labeled “Try Dead Space - Free Trial” ...the store page will tell you how much time you’re allotted (excluding the time taken to install it)...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/s...trials-starting-with-dead-space/1100-6514177/

No more refunds :p maybe people are refunding like crazy defeating the purpose of sales. The thing is though I don't think many developers will particiapate.

Last edited:
No more refunds :p maybe people are refunding like crazy defeating the purpose of sales. The thing is though I don't think many developers will particiapate.
And you're part of the problem, but this is a positive development. Demo slices take extra time and resources to develop, so having a time limit on the full game without needing to pay for it is a pretty good idea. It solves that problem and the one of people abusing the 2-hour game time refund window.

it'll be interesting to see how many games they make free trials available for...do they need the developer's permission to do it?...I doubt it

I dig this because it lets you install the real deal game with the real deal settings and performance. I'm notoriously slow when it comes to progressing through a new game, so I'm the exact kind of consumer they're targeting.

And you're part of the problem, but this is a positive development. Demo slices take extra time and resources to develop, so having a time limit on the full game without needing to pay for it is a pretty good idea. It solves that problem and the one of people abusing the 2-hour game time refund window.
Part of the problem?

Kinda related to this, there's an option within Steam to switch to a new beta version with an updated interface. It's nowhere as major as the the last big update in 2019, but it's nice to see the Steam devs making things more aesthetically modern. It looks like they're slowly updating the overlay (shift+tab), too. Feels like that's been the same forever.

Kinda related to this, there's an option within Steam to switch to a new beta version with an updated interface. It's nowhere as major as the the last big update in 2019, but it's nice to see the Steam devs making things more aesthetically modern. It looks like they're slowly updating the overlay (shift+tab), too. Feels like that's been the same forever.
I just tried this one thing I noticed you get notifications when games release within a week or few days I had Gollum preorderd I got a notification on the Top Bar.

I did the Beta but had some problems with games launching so I tried to go back to the original layout.
It wouldn't let me go back so I had to uninstall the whole thing games are on different drives so I was safe.
Also download rates were reduced with the Beta Client for me which is a pretty big deal.

I really like the "Beta Sneak Peek" UI/UX. No clue when they plan on rolling it out to everyone (or if they already have), but I don't think I can go back to the older look. It's a little like the transition from Windows 9X to XP. My downloads and performance are the same as ever. I got the pre-load for Street Fighter 6 in like 3-4 minutes.

Sniper Elite works without crashes so I'm fine it updates it as soon as you close out steam today.

Glad that this is finally available to the masses. Just from an aesthetics point of view, it makes Steam feel like it's no longer trapped in the Windows 7 era.

Back