Steam Controller?

nekrosoft13

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone tried one? how is it?

does it work outside of steam?

Does it work with games that are xbox controller friendly?

Ordered the hour it was up on June 4th, finally got

"Shipping Status: Shipment Prepared
Estimated Shipping Date: Oct 16, 2015"

Can't wait to try out Diablo 3/H1Z1 from the couch. The community effort for configs I believe is what is going to make this an absolute game changer. Players are going to come up with some really interesting ways to controll certain games. Think for example Dark Souls where keeping a finger on the dodge button is vital but when you need to lock and unlock on targets, move the camera around to follow a target, rapidly lock/unlock for certain move-sets/item use (this happens often in PVP) you have to move your hand position to take away the ability to use the front buttons AKA dodge/jump/use item. This controller will fix that issue.

Players wont have to use the claw grip on PC anymore to get around certain drawbacks of the controllers inherent design.

Edit: And remember the goal of the controller is the keep fingers on the touchpads/left stick at all times;using the back paddles/bumpers/modifiers,etc as the main "button" inputs. The idea is to get away from using the front buttons (X,Y,B,A) so that you are always in control of the player movement and camera/look.

n07b.jpg
<--- I have never used this grip but I know many people do.

Last edited:
Valve sent shipping notifications for controller and link last week with tracking, but i see they actually shipped those only today with estimated delivery on 16th.

I'm sure many reviews will be popping up soon :)

Looking forward to peoples' reactions. I'm really hoping this succeeds because I never was able to get use to that xbox anolog stick.

Anyone know if we will be able to return the steam controller if we never get used to it? I got it instead of a xbox 360 wireless so I can play on my couch with tv hooked up to computer

Anyone know if we will be able to return the steam controller if we never get used to it? I got it instead of a xbox 360 wireless so I can play on my couch with tv hooked up to computer

Believe they have a 30-day return policy (minus handling charges), but don't quote me on it. Their product page should have all that information listed. With that said, that doesn't give you much breathing room to get used to the controller. My strategy is to wait, check out the reviews, and go from there.

Really want to check these out. I already have XBOne, X360, and Logitech F710s for my living room PC, but these seem intriguing for some edge cases. I imagine they'll fill in some gaps nicely. I still do FPS mainly at my desktop, but I occasionally want to shoot things from the couch. I imagine these will be better than sticks...

Street date for those of us who didn't pre-order is November 10, I believe.

I'm pretty sure returns are supported. You could probably also sell it here in the FS forum or for a profit on Ebay since they'll be scarce for a while.

My controller is being sent to Baltimore...but I currently am living in Alaska. Won't be able to give the controller a spin until November. :(

My controller is being sent to Baltimore...but I currently am living in Alaska. Won't be able to give the controller a spin until November. :(

Are you far enough North to get that near 24-hour night cycle? That makes finding time to game a lot easier, and I'm thinking you'll be able to get a lot of use out of the Steam controller..

Fairbanks. The endless nights don't come until December. I'll be back in Baltimore during that timeframe, with only a quick visit in January.

It looks like everyone is getting theirs Friday.

That's when mine is supposed to show up according to FedEx.

Mine is showing to be at the Memphis hub, so it looks like it will be delivered tomorrow!

I'm really hoping some retailer sets up a small demo for one of these. Even a display only. I can't make up my mind on if I want to risk $50 on something that may not work like I want it to.

Mine is on the delivery truck, looks like it'll be there when I get home from work, quite curious about it, going to have to give Darksouls another play through.

I'm really hoping some retailer sets up a small demo for one of these. Even a display only. I can't make up my mind on if I want to risk $50 on something that may not work like I want it to.

Gamestop is the exclusive retail store for Steam Hardware. They'll have a section where people can try them out apparently.

When GameStop starts selling Steam Hardware, do you think this will force Valve to charge sales tax on all Steam sales since they will effectively have a physical presence across America? If I were a member of Congress, I surely would push for this to generate more revenue.

Went home at lunch and the Steam Link and Controller has arrived. Will be setting this up tonight. Have Fable 1 HD, Deadspace, and Diablo 3 to test out.

Probably will end up getting a Bluetooth keyboard for Diablo 3.

When GameStop starts selling Steam Hardware, do you think this will force Valve to charge sales tax on all Steam sales since they will effectively have a physical presence across America?

No, it doesn't work like that unless Valve actually rents or licenses the space from Gamestop. If the Steam section in Gamestop works like all of the other sections, it's just part of Gamestop's store where they choose to stock products by Valve. Unless Valve themselves actually start setting up shops, buyers won't need to pay tax any differently than they currently are.

If I were a member of Congress, I surely would push for this to generate more revenue.

Make sure to let us know if you are running for office so I can avoid voting for you.

Went home at lunch and the Steam Link and Controller has arrived. Will be setting this up tonight. Have Fable 1 HD, Deadspace, and Diablo 3 to test out.

Probably will end up getting a Bluetooth keyboard for Diablo 3.
Do let us know what your thoughts are on the Steam link, as well. I heard the latency was pretty good, wired or wireless, but that there were some image quality issues.

Do let us know what your thoughts are on the Steam link, as well. I heard the latency was pretty good, wired or wireless, but that there were some image quality issues.

It was also stated that Steam will be releasing updates since the official release date it 11/10/15. This can only make things better.

I did some fiddling with the Link but there was lag, so I stopped and moved to my gaming rig so I could try out the controller. I'll move the Link to another spot to see if that helps, although it showed 3 out of 4 bars on wifi.

I do like the controller, it will take some getting used to though.

Over 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz? Valve recommends that the Link be connected wired instead of wirelessly, though that kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion.

I just moved it 3 ft to the left and 2 ft up and connected to my 5ghz and was able to play Borderlands The Pre-Sequel just fine. It didn't load GTA V and the Tomb Raider 2013 had lag in it popping up pretty frequently.

Yeah, I just saw today on Steam where they said that a "Wired network is strongly recommended."

Then how about I just keep my ass at my PC! Hope they will continue to improve on the streaming side of things.

Ordered mine, and am expecting it any day now. Two controllers and one link. Should be interesting to see how it all goes down, no?

Plan is to have them wired into the network, so latency shouldn't be an issue. I am curious to find out how much network bandwidth it'll take up though.

Mine just arrived today. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Guys there is a bunch of info about this controller and reviews floating round. Check out NeoGAF/reddit.

Played a bit earlier and I can def see the potnetial of this beast. I need to try a game that has a config as I couldn't really get one to suit me on my own and had little time to tinker. But the very little I did mess with Bl/BL2/MGS5 is;

- The trackball ''mode'' is far.....far more accurate than a thumbstick for FPS games. And I could see the next gen consoles (PS5) using something similar to this tech. It's just in another league than a thumb-stick for accuracy.

- You def do not hold this the same way you hold a regular controller (DS4,X1); think more of trying to never use the face buttons & not using you entire thumb on the right-pad, but just the tip.

- The haptic feedback is amazing

- The controller is smaller than I imagined, about the size of an X1 controller. Feels a bit cheaper (obv) than the X1 controller.

- I don't think I could ever play competitive MP FPS with this controller, but it certainly, without questions obliterates the X1/PS4 for fps & tps.

- Highly adjustable to suit almost every config possibility you could imagine. The possibilities on how to set this up to play, say, WoW/D3 are almost endless.

I only go to play with the device for an hour earlier but I am pretty impressed with it and I feel this is definitely something that is going to change the way we comfy couch game.

Last edited:
I am going to wait until people have had time to get used to them, and for the fanboyism to die down before I see what people think. Early reviews for something so hyped tend to suffer from people wanting it to be the best thing EVAR and thus declaring it is, even if they have issues.

When GameStop starts selling Steam Hardware, do you think this will force Valve to charge sales tax on all Steam sales since they will effectively have a physical presence across America?

No because Gamestop and its stores aren't owned by Valve.

Back