Steam Controller Revealed

Valve tests the shit out of everything. If this controller ends up sucking, you will NEVER KNOW IT because Valve will never let you touch or buy one.

Also, people complaining about lack of buttons. If you look at the spec it seems like the trackpads are clickable in the four separate up/down/left/right regions. there are your buttons.

Yup, both trackpads are clickable like D-pads. So, this was probably a combination of both an analog stick and a D-pad at the same time.

The buttons on either side of the touchscreen in the middle are your typical 4-buttons on a gamepad, or the right trackpad can be used as one as well. I can't tell if there are L and R trigger buttons on this.

Yup, both trackpads are clickable like D-pads. So, this was probably a combination of both an analog stick and a D-pad at the same time.

The buttons on either side of the touchscreen in the middle are your typical 4-buttons on a gamepad, or the right trackpad can be used as one as well. I can't tell if there are L and R trigger buttons on this.

There are trigger buttons. 4 I think.

I don't think I could use it to even play racing games with, the A,B,X,Y buttons are in really strange positions.

I have no interest in gaming in the living room, or with a console controller. This whole endeavor seems less about being aimed at PC gamers and more about trying to lure Xbox and Playstation gamers to Valve's Steambox console. If a PC gamer wants to play games in the living room they'll just move their machine there, or run cables to it.

I see PC gaming heading towards Oculus Rift VR type setup, unless that turns out to be extremely uncomfortable and headache inducing.

I don't think I could use it to even play racing games with, the A,B,X,Y buttons are in really strange positions.

I have no interest in gaming in the living room, or with a console controller. This whole endeavor seems less about being aimed at PC gamers and more about trying to lure Xbox and Playstation gamers to Valve's Steambox console. If a PC gamer wants to play games in the living room they'll just move their machine there, or run cables to it.

I see PC gaming heading towards Oculus Rift VR type setup, unless that turns out to be extremely uncomfortable and headache inducing.

PC gaming in the living room is sublime. I just built a mini ITX box that I'm running like a console using big picture mode. Optimized graphics and not being chained to windows plus a more advanced controller than the 360 wireless has me all kinds of excited.

PC gaming in the living room is sublime. I just built a mini ITX box that I'm running like a console using big picture mode. Optimized graphics and not being chained to windows plus a more advanced controller than the 360 wireless has me all kinds of excited.

This controller will work with Windows as well.

The headache inducing would have to depend on the person.

I, myself, can't stand 3D movies because it hurts my eyes. I wear glasses. For some people, when CCP was demoing EVE VR, now EVE Valkyrie, some users were getting motion sickness.

So, it really depends on the person. I don't get motion sickness at all since I've tried similar, older VR glasses before. However, 3D movies hurt my eyes and gives me headaches.

Since I wear glasses, I prefer lightweight frames so I'm hoping that the Oculus Rift is relatively light when wearing it and doesn't get uncomfortable after an hour or so.

Thank god I didn't get hired over at Valve and be forced to have created this.

I do not like touchpads for game controls. I'd like to try it out before passing final judgement, but I have little optimism.

I don't see all that much wrong with it besides that the top shoulder buttons look too close to one another. I like being able to use index and middle fingers independently like the Dual Shock or XBox layout, this looks like you use your index finger only. The extra buttons on the backside will be useful to get around that.

Touch screen looks pretty cool but I would wonder about the weight it adds and the durability. Also battery life if this is supposed to be wireless. Is it e-ink or full color LCD?

Couple of other thoughts:
Fighting games basically require a d-pad. You could always just use a different controller for those games I guess.
FPS games always suck with controllers, this doesn't change that but you can't really fault them for not being better than k+m. Would have been cool to see a design you could separate ala the Razer Hydra which I've heard is actually usable for FPS but then you would lose the touchscreen in the center.

xbinding.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-2RBJfnNPk.jpg

I know it's a very minor thing but I couldn't help but get a little peeved when I saw the "WDSA" next to the left trackpad...like, come on Valve...it's WASD. Always has been always will be.

Why would they even do something like that? Not hating on the controller or anything...just bothers me don't know why. Seem's like they want to change EVERYTHING and it's just annoying.

I know it's in fashion to want to raise your middle finger to Microsoft, I'm no fan of MS trying to turn Windows into a walled garden experience but I just don't see what Valve is doing here as being that turning point to break free from the clutches of Windows. If I'm not into the living room experience playing games on the Steambox "console" this does very little to giving me an alternative desktop OS to switch to.

I suppose if Linux gaming conversions take off in a big way then maybe, at any rate the whole landscape of computing devices are on the verge of massive transformations, some of which cant possibly even be imagined at this point but I really don't see the traditional living room as being central to whatever it'll be.

Thank god I didn't get hired over at Valve and be forced to have created this.

Hahaha that's hilarious, but i guess the reality is, that Valve doesn't have to answer to anyone but themselves.
Controller looks comical though. I'll stick with my PC, windows os, keyboard & mouse, computer table and if i need a controller I'll pick up my xbox 360 controller.

Anyone know the price of this off-the-shelf SteamBox? The cost of entry of this whole package in it's entirety doesn't seem likely that it will be significantly less than the $400.00price point established by the 2 console kings.

Hahaha that's hilarious, but i guess the reality is, that Valve doesn't have to answer to anyone but themselves.
Controller looks comical though. I'll stick with my PC, windows os, keyboard & mouse, computer table and if i need a controller I'll pick up my xbox 360 controller.

Anyone know the price of this off-the-shelf SteamBox? The cost of entry of this whole package in it's entirety doesn't seem likely that it will be significantly less than the $400.00price point established by the 2 console kings.

You can roll your own, and there will be several off the shelf variants with different specs. Software will be free, and even the hardware will be easily hackable.

Why would they even do something like that? Not hating on the controller or anything...just bothers me don't know why. Seem's like they want to change EVERYTHING and it's just annoying.

Radial control, make sense to me to refer to it's controls going clockwise starting from 12 o'clock.

I cannot objectively critique it until I have used it. However, it appears to have similar a similar design to the 360 controller which was at least somewhat ergonomically friendly. As far as the dual trackpads go, the issue with playing on a tablet is that there is only glass, which is lackluster for moving fingers around on it, and it covers up the screen. These will have neither of those issues. The key will, ultimately, be price. If they can keep it below $50 that would be ideal.

Try playing FPS on a console, that if anything is a joke...

I get what you're trying to do here but it ultimately fails as even though console controls aren't as good as KB/M the separation between on screen touch controls vs. standard analog controller is massive. Give me a 360 or PS3 controller ANY DAY over something touch based.

Honestly, i completely expected the ps4 or xbo to have a giant touchpad for the right thumb given the popularity of fps games using the right thumbstick, and was surprised when they didnt.

im glad valve considered it. but i find the handle placement to appear to be on backwards?

I get what you're trying to do here but it ultimately fails as even though console controls aren't as good as KB/M the separation between on screen touch controls vs. standard analog controller is massive. Give me a 360 or PS3 controller ANY DAY over something touch based.

It depends on the sensitivity of the touchpads. Valve claims to be using a much higher sensitivity than any traditional gear.

It looks interesting, definitely something to try. I suck at playing Shooters with a controller, maybe this would be a better option. If not I will always have a mouse and a keyboard.

Is it just me or is everyone taking crazy pills?!?!

Why on earth do you think valve would use "standard run of the mill trackpads?" And yes playing a fps on a laptop trackpad / tablet is stupid and you should feel dumb for even trying, I would stake money that these "trackpads" used for this controller has a much higher resolution than any track pad found on a laptop. Also don think of it as swiping your thumb across the pad but more of a "stick" motion and then it will make sense. I for one cannot wait to try this out and see how it works, hell anything is better than a xbox controller.

xbinding.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-2RBJfnNPk.jpg

I know it's a very minor thing but I couldn't help but get a little peeved when I saw the "WDSA" next to the left trackpad...like, come on Valve...it's WASD. Always has been always will be.

You can tell they have spent a HUGE amount of time on the DETAILS going into making this controller. They're not being sloppy at all. They can't even get the slide right. I mean, I have complete faith in them now as well :D This will turn into a money-grab slip and fall fail by Valve/Gabe imho.

Can you imagine BF4 on this thing you have to hold the left backmost trigger, then the right most trigger to shoot. If you want to crouch it looks like you hold a button on the back of the controller they didn't get around to finishing? What lol, where is it? Also using the D-Pad for movement, jesus that will cramp the f out of your hands, then add on all the input lag for this junk and you have yourself the best controller EVER IMHO! Valve is full of it. I'm gonna make myself a cheeseburger now, in honor of the Gabe.

You can tell they have spent a HUGE amount of time on the DETAILS going into making this controller. They're not being sloppy at all. They can't even get the slide right. I mean, I have complete faith in them now as well :D This will turn into a money-grab slip and fall fail by Valve/Gabe imho.

Can you imagine BF4 on this thing you have to hold the left backmost trigger, then the right most trigger to shoot. If you want to crouch it looks like you hold a button on the back of the controller they didn't get around to finishing? What lol, where is it? Also using the D-Pad for movement, jesus that will cramp the f out of your hands, then add on all the input lag for this junk and you have yourself the best controller EVER IMHO! Valve is full of it. I'm gonna make myself a cheeseburger now, in honor of the Gabe.

H.. have... have you read anything about this controller?

How big is that fucking controller? It looks gigantic. Who made it, this guy?

215128154_PrjWo-L-2.jpg

huh? was this for real? was it the first xbox controller or the 360 one? Cause I fail to see how the 360 one is too big for anyone other than toddlers.

huh? was this for real? was it the first xbox controller or the 360 one? Cause I fail to see how the 360 one is too big for anyone other than toddlers.

First controller.

Update: I did find this quote on the steam website

Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.

...The Steam Controller was designed from the ground up to be hackable. Just as the Steam Community and Workshop contributors currently deliver tremendous value via additions to software products on Steam, we believe that they will meaningfully contribute to the design of the Steam Controller. We plan to make tools available that will enable users to participate in all aspects of the experience, from industrial design to electrical engineering. We can’t wait to see what you come up with...

I found this to be the most interesting part of the whole reveal. I really like that Valve embraces community feedback and input so much they allow this to be hackable.

First controller.

Update: I did find this quote on the steam website

Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?
If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input.

pretty sure this announcement is what they were referring to.

I like how everyone automatically thinks its crap but has never even held one. I does look awkward but that is because we are used to sticks and d-pads. If this thing has really good resolution then i can see this being a killer to the 360 and ps controller. Im going to assume that the look portion of the controller will be as precise as mouse movements,and there is a lot better rang of motion since you are not locked to analog sticks.

This will never work, this will be the first giant failure valve faces in this endeavor.
Touch controls do not work, they are not tactile, they are not human. For browsing they're fine, for gaming they're the worst thing ever. Traditional controllers may make us accept compromises but, traditional controllers work. I assure you, with out even picking this thing up that it does not work. It will not work, and even when they finally have it figured out people will still find it to be horrendous to use.

Like many others, not a fan of that look. i'll stick to my current controller.

I found this to be the most interesting part of the whole reveal. I really like that Valve embraces community feedback and input so much they allow this to be hackable.

The Ouya was designed to be hackable as well. The fact remains that if you release a piece of shit, no one cares.

I would have like to see Valve make a more standard controller and improve on that instead of making a controller designed to emulator a mouse/track pad.

+headdesk+ they ARE attempting to improve on a standard controller by doing away with the standard controller. And if you really think the performance of the touchpads on it is nothing more than the regular shitty touchpads off a couple laptops , you'd be mistaken.

This will fall on the spectrum between imprecise analog stick aiming, and mouse. And my guess is once people get used to it they'll be just as deadly as with a mouse. There is far more bandwidth in these touchpads than the ones everyone is used to.

This will never work, this will be the first giant failure valve faces in this endeavor.
Touch controls do not work, they are not tactile, they are not human. For browsing they're fine, for gaming they're the worst thing ever. Traditional controllers may make us accept compromises but, traditional controllers work. I assure you, with out even picking this thing up that it does not work. It will not work, and even when they finally have it figured out people will still find it to be horrendous to use.

Again, this controller was based on user feedback based on users who signed up for testing an unnamed hardware and controller from Valve.

(Correction on last replies: It's Seattle area, not San Francisco.)

During the interview, Ellsworth said the hardware division is working in tandem with Steam's Big Picture Mode, creating a hardware solution to the control-based limitations found in many titles offered on Valve's Steam platform. Without indicating what Valve was actually developing, she said possibilities range from Phantom Lapboard-type solutions to hybrid controllers.
So, if there is anyone to blame on the design, blame the testers, PC gamers themselves.

We're hearing that a wide variety of USB peripherals will be compatible with the boxes, though it will likely ship with a proprietary controller. It's possible that the controller will even allow for swappable components, meaning that it can be reconfigured depending on the type of game you're playing. Think that sounds odd? Well Valve filed a patent for such a device last year.
Source: http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2840932/exclusive-valve-steam-box-gaming-console

These are users who play computer (and console) games like you and I. They had to come up with a COMPROMISE that would work for almost all games in the living room so people can play them without a keyboard. If you had better ideas, then maybe you should have applied for the testing and move to the Seattle/Bellevue area. They've been testing for approximately a year before today's reveal.

SteamOS and Steam Machines will still be capable of traditional input, regardless-- keyboard and mouse. And, it'll still be able to use traditional gamepads. This controller is also hackable and if Valve's patents are any indication, it can be altered to fit the user's preferences.

By definition, a compromise means is is not optimal for any particular use case.

By definition, a compromise means is is not optimal for any particular use case.

Yeah, basically "middle of the road" agreement.

Many people speculated before it would be a keyboard-mouse-hybrid, or a motion controller, or a hybrid-touch-gamepad.

Well I'm going to go against the hate grain mentality and say that I believe it'll be awesome. Valve prototypes their stuff for years before they ever release it and they wouldn't release this if their internal testing didn't prove it to be better then the 'traditional' gamepads of today.

If you knew that the reason gabe newell had them put satchels in HL1 was because he couldn't aim to kill the monsters would you say the same thing?

Back