Steam Controller $5

Just when I was gonna buy 4...

I ordered mine on wednesday, it would only allow me to order one at a time, I was going to buy a few too but after shipping it came out to $14 per controller.

Also, they are mass cancelling and refunding orders now, and mine is still "pending" after 4 days. I'm assuming it'll get cancelled and refunded. Looks like Valve made a little oopsies.

is this better then the PS4 controller as far as using it for PC games?

No.

What it is "good" at is using it to control something that doesn't support controllers. What it is bad at is being a joypad controller. Everything that supports a controller does so with the notion that you have two analog sticks. This things trackpad is largely garbage at replacing that second stick.

Additionally, the weird underside wing buttons are easily triggered unless you remain very relaxed the entire time you are playing.

The PS4 controller is MUCH better ergonomically.

The PS4 controller requires me to install extra software if I want to properly control it for everything.
The steam controller will do something for every game with no extra software, but requires me to install extra software if I want to properly control about 30% of games. So the only real difference is it is a worse controller with a the crappy add on software to make it work right is a tad more smoothly automated than the ps4 software.

I ordered mine on wednesday, it would only allow me to order one at a time, I was going to buy a few too but after shipping it came out to $14 per controller.

Also, they are mass cancelling and refunding orders now, and mine is still "pending" after 4 days. I'm assuming it'll get cancelled and refunded. Looks like Valve made a little oopsies.
Ordered on
Purchased: Nov 27 @ 12:26pm
Mine shows
Shipment Status: Shipping Soon

The PS4 controller is MUCH better ergonomically.
Have you tried the xbone s controller? I think its perfection. BT, microUSB (like,the PS4 unlike the 360) and the buttons feel better, the analog buttons on the PS4 always wore out. I am a fan of the PS2 controller, considering that one the best one, PS3 had no rumble at first and then it did later and also had BT, but I really loved the xbone s controller. still haven't found a better one (for me)

Ordered on
Purchased: Nov 27 @ 12:26pm
Mine shows

Good luck.. I was excited to finally get to try the well loved and well hated steam controller but now I have no idea if we'll actually get em

Purchased: Nov 27 @ 3:27pm

same for me...

My order got cancelled/refunded yesterday.

When did you place your order? I'm trying to understand if they're just cancelling orders starting after a certain day or if they just plain ran out and now everybody is getting a refund. One person in another chat said they ordered last wed at 4PM and their controller has already arrived, I ordered last wed at 3PM and mine hasn't shipped at all, so this is a weird mess.

Yup, got cancelled too. Looks like thats it boys. Was really hoping to finally get my hands on one.

Damn. I ordered mine on the 25th and received it on Saturday (30th). shipping was 8 bucks, so for 14 bucks cant complain about it.

Ordered on November 26, shows processing for shipping status.
Same day and same status, mine shipped earlier this afternoon. As long as it says "We'll send you a shipping update soon" or whatever I think it means you're locked in.

Have you tried the xbone s controller? I think its perfection. BT, microUSB (like,the PS4 unlike the 360) and the buttons feel better, the analog buttons on the PS4 always wore out. I am a fan of the PS2 controller, considering that one the best one, PS3 had no rumble at first and then it did later and also had BT, but I really loved the xbone s controller. still haven't found a better one (for me)

I feel like they're both pretty solid controllers and I swap between the two. The PS controllers get an easy nod for anything that uses a d-pad. The d-pad on the Xbox controllers is still awkwardly placed and doesn't read diagonal presses well. On the other hand I feel like the Xbox analogs are easier to aim with and are less twitchy than the PS analog. IMO the best solution is just to get the official wireless adapters and swap between the two depending on the game.

I feel like they're both pretty solid controllers and I swap between the two. The PS controllers get an easy nod for anything that uses a d-pad. The d-pad on the Xbox controllers is still awkwardly placed and doesn't read diagonal presses well. On the other hand I feel like the Xbox analogs are easier to aim with and are less twitchy than the PS analog. IMO the best solution is just to get the official wireless adapters and swap between the two depending on the game.
The One S doesn't need a wireless adapter, are you talking about the 360's? I thought the new dpad was great but anything was an improvement over the old one lol. The PS4 controller has awful battery life but the touchpad on PC is absolutely incredible.

The One S doesn't need a wireless adapter, are you talking about the 360's? I thought the new dpad was great but anything was an improvement over the old one lol. The PS4 controller has awful battery life but the touchpad on PC is absolutely incredible.

It doesn't need the wireless adapter, but it drops inputs via Bluetooth. Nothing you'll likely notice most of the time, but if you play fighting games you might. I tested both the Xbox and PS4 controllers out with 4 different BT adapters and every single one dropped inputs. Nothing you'd notice when playing a random shooter, but if you're trying to do a 720 rotation and hit 3 buttons in about 1/4 second you're going to miss it about a quarter of the time.
Both of the official adapters don't have this issue and they aren't that expensive. $20 each or you can occasionally find one packed in with a controller for an additional $10.

I got an email with a tracking label a few hours ago (ordered last wed).. guess i will be getting the controller..

Mine arrived today. Opened it up but have not messed with it. Appears to be a well made piece of gear. My Steam Link is about to be dug up and dusted off for the first time in many months... good times...

Ordered mine early into the sale and it arrived yesterday (Fedex delivers on Sunday?). Mainly got it to pair with my Steam Link in the living room. While the finish is similar to my Xbox One controller, the whole package doesn't feel nearly as hearty and substantial. The feel of the buttons isn't that impressive. Even the triggers don't have much travel before reaching the click. And the handle buttons are a bit too easy to unintentionally press. But they can be configured to do nothing.

That all said I love the simulated trackball and that alone will make the controller perfect for its intended purpose. I grew up using one so it is perfectly natural to flick my thumb to use the mouse. The hapitcs are pretty clever, it even slows to a stop if you flick the cursor. Still some work to do to get it to behave exactly as I'd like, but already it is better than one of those HTPC trackpads.

Last edited:
Even if I don't like the damned thing, $5 is a good deal for ANY controller. Depending on what type of games you enjoy (hopefully ones that don't use the face buttons), it could even be your best option.

Nov 27 @ 11:30 am
Shipping status: Shipping Soon

Haven't gotten an email about shipping or cancelling yet...so we'll see I guess?

Even if I don't like the damned thing, $5 is a good deal for ANY controller. Depending on what type of games you enjoy (hopefully ones that don't use the face buttons), it could even be your best option.

It's not good if it fatigues your hands so I stick with X-box controllers. PS4 controllers are too small good buttons but too small. Mice are ok for stuff but your bones cross over when using them.

Nov 27 @ 11:30 am
Shipping status: Shipping Soon

Haven't gotten an email about shipping or cancelling yet...so we'll see I guess?

I ordered the previous day and mine is still Processing...so who knows...

Mine came on Sunday, but I ordered it on the morning of the sale start

20191203_111732_HDR.jpg

Mine should be here tomorrow according to the tracking information at FedEx. This will be my first game controller since Microsoft sold one a long time ago. So I really don't have a point of reference.

Well that didn't take long. Searched "steam controller" on ebay just for S&G, theres ~100+ ""New Listing" results, sealed in box etc etc

Some people are complaining about getting refunded to their steam wallet instead of original payment method. Keep an eye on that...

Some people are complaining about getting refunded to their steam wallet instead of original payment method. Keep an eye on that...

From what i understand those people purchased steam wallet funds first and then bought games and the controller from the sale, so steam is refunding to their steam wallets. If you paid with paypal or card directly for the controller, it should get refunded back to the original source. and you *should* be ok..

Hopefully they make good on those people who bought steam wallet funds with the intention to buy the controller...

Just got a shipping notification for mine. Ordered late on the 26th, I think.

Back