Starfield

I completely disagree, and even if I did I still wouldn't want voice acting for my character because of the reasons I said earlier.
And ME is a much different game that would be dumb without voice acting because you spend a lot of time watching instead of actually playing.

Practically all of the character conversations in Mass Effect require player input. They tend to have more input with the QTEs they often include than Fallout 3/NV. If you don't like voice acting, you could just skip it, disable it in the options or remove all voice audio files via a mod I would assume.

Not having voice acting is like not featuring weapon reload animations. It was fine 20 years ago. Not acceptable today.

Practically all of the character conversations in Mass Effect require player input. They tend to have more input with the QTEs they often include than Fallout 3/NV. If you don't like voice acting, you could just skip it, disable it in the options or remove all voice audio files via a mod I would assume.

Not having voice acting is like not featuring weapon reload animations. It was fine 20 years ago. Not acceptable today.

They have shitloads of voice acting, it's a game design choice and a good one IMO.

Also QTE "gameplay" is lol. That was fine 20 years ago in games like Shenmue. Now it's just pathetic.

Their standards of journalism must have dropped since I used to read them 20 years ago. That article was just clickbait complaining. It's one thing for us to complain in forum threads but I expect something more newsworthy and such from a professional publication.

it wasn't meant to be an in-depth piece on Starfield...the article was about the games that were revealed during the various non-E3 shows that they deemed disappointing...so it was meant to be basically a list

They have shitloads of voice acting...

And? All the reason it should all be voiced.

it's a game design choice and a good one IMO.

Makes about as much sense as a silent film in 2023.

Also QTE "gameplay" is lol. That was fine 20 years ago in games like Shenmue. Now it's just pathetic.

I don't mind them if used right, and Mass Effect using them mid conversation was a good place to use them. My point still stands though, there is a lot more interaction in Mass Effect than FO3/NV during conversations. FO3/NV has precisely zero interaction. You're quite literally just watching/reading lines. If your complaint is audio = just watching a game, well, FO3/NV's lack of voiced dialogue didn't fix that and is more of a watching simulator than any game with voice acting.

Only reason for not including voiced lines is laziness. I'm not going to say budget because we know these guys keep selling the same game over and over again.

The thing about Bethesda games is that they've never released a "good" game on the basis of it working, not having bugs, being polished, etc. What they did that no one else really did was give you a sandbox to play in and that had always been the appeal for me.

When it comes to modding you really have to break it down into two segments. There is the modding that fixes the bugs, but there is also the modding that expands the sandbox. Even if they did release a game that had few bugs and was polished, I think you still need the other modding because if their past several games have been any indication, the writing is subpar, the world is fairly shallow, and the story not that compelling...but its still a sandbox if that appeals to you.

Think I stopped using mods (other then some mmo's) around the q3 days. Too many games to play already and too little time to play them.

Think I stopped using mods (other then some mmo's) around the q3 days. Too many games to play already and too little time to play them.
This. I don't have time to mess around with mods, I think a (mostly) unbuggy and quality single player experience for 1 maybe 2 playthroughs. FWIW I played through Cyberpunk at launch and loved it despite a handful of minor annoyances.

My last dabble was trying to get a Fallout 3 modded install going, which made me realize why I had stopped doing big installs nearly a decade earlier. If the out-of-the-box experience can't stand on its own then the game is not worth my time. At most I am looking for QoL improvements. I am getting too old to waste time on fixing problems that should not need to be fixed in the first place.

I can see you guy's point. Back in the days of skyrim I struggled to get the massive step mod project working working. It was awesome when it worked but a total pain i* t** a**. Off topic but the new gamma mode for stalker is incredible in that it is a one click installation for collection of almost 300 mods. It's pretty amazing.

Given Bethesda's approach there is no way in the world that Starfield will work properly write on release. I'm sure it'll take a whole plethora of mods to make it worth it.

My last dabble was trying to get a Fallout 3 modded install going, which made me realize why I had stopped doing big installs nearly a decade earlier. If the out-of-the-box experience can't stand on its own then the game is not worth my time. At most I am looking for QoL improvements. I am getting too old to waste time on fixing problems that should not need to be fixed in the first place.

A game should be fine and playable out of the box. Occasionally, small mods might make the experience a bit better. But mods are generally supposed offer new things, not make the game play properly. I expect to play a game without mods but if it ends up being a good I may revisit it later with some mods. But few games are worth replaying these days, and not a lot of them are really that mod-able anyways.

Starfield Performance Preview

Built on an improved engine, The Creation Engine 2, the game shows clear strides over Fallout 4 and other previous titles...Space travel, world building, rendering technology, and more are all covered here in the IGN Performance Preview...

A game should be fine and playable out of the box. Occasionally, small mods might make the experience a bit better. But mods are generally supposed offer new things, not make the game play properly. I expect to play a game without mods but if it ends up being a good I may revisit it later with some mods. But few games are worth replaying these days, and not a lot of them are really that mod-able anyways.
I think those issues were always blown out of proportion. I played through both Skyrim and Fallout 4 without mods for my first run.

I've played through every single Bethesda RPG since Daggerfall without any mods. They can make some things better (depending on what you want) but I've never found them to ever be necessary.

The only mod I downloaded for my first playthroughs was the mod to use more ram. I still remember it because I was annoyed that I had to do that for multiple Bethesda releases and was baffled the devs hadn't done it themselves. Otherwise I was able to play and finish their early games with only occasional crashes usually after playing for hours. Mods did make them a lot better.

Built on an improved engine, The Creation Engine 2, the game shows clear strides over Fallout 4 and other previous titles...Space travel, world building, rendering technology, and more are all covered here in the IGN Performance Preview...

To me "Performance Preview" means Bethesda let them test a small portion of the game, for a brief time, on a provided machine. Performance Preview doesn't mean lets drone on for 15 minutes speculating about a trailer everyone saw a month ago.

Looks nice hope the quest system isn't boring maybe more like New Vegas.

To me "Performance Preview" means Bethesda let them test a small portion of the game, for a brief time, on a provided machine. Performance Preview doesn't mean lets drone on for 15 minutes speculating about a trailer everyone saw a month ago.

Agreed. This is more of a trailer performance analysis.

Which Digital Foundry does better anyway.

The only mod I downloaded for my first playthroughs was the mod to use more ram. I still remember it because I was annoyed that I had to do that for multiple Bethesda releases and was baffled the devs hadn't done it themselves. Otherwise I was able to play and finish their early games with only occasional crashes usually after playing for hours. Mods did make them a lot better.
Maybe with older games, but both Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 were 64-bit. LAA isn't needed for them.

ye6w8ykk6ft91.png

I hate that the two pieces of tape are repeated (nose to temple), but am loving the overall art style.

So it seems Bethesda is going to levelgate the star systems in Starfield, which sucks because I love hitting the "hard" zones first to get the better loot than the noob starting areas offer.
Hopefully they at least let you try and see how badass you really are.

https://www.gamesradar.com/starfield-groups-star-systems-by-level-so-players-know-where-to-go/
Going to be terrible if we go by Bethesda pass level scalling systems......sweet you find the ultimate ship.....gets one shotted by the lvl saclled rat in the cargo hold

Going to be terrible if we go by Bethesda pass level scalling systems......sweet you find the ultimate ship.....gets one shotted by the lvl saclled rat in the cargo hold
Exactly, brings back memories of a certain Legendary Bloatfly.
I hope it's like how the Witcher 3 had a level recommendation along with a color code, but still allowing you to proceed as you see fit.

Can you summarize them if you know them so we don't have to watch it?
I watched it a couple days ago so I don't remember all the details.

The romance/relationship is supposed to be improved. He talks about how that is something he really likes in games, but doesn't want to oversell the improvements. If you're in a relationship and do something they don't like they'll be mad at you about that thing for a while but still love you.

You can go land on any planet, but only a limited number will have real quests, npcs, etc. The rest will be the generated type stuff.

He talks about how they design npcs.
They make comments about things you do. It's best when they comment about some weird thing they saw you do you wouldn't expect the game to pick up on.

How the games simulation runs for the entire world, not just where the player is.

It was originally very easy to run out of fuel and get stranded, but it just got annoying so they scrapped it.

That's all I remember about Starfield specific stuff

Back