Starcraft II

InControl is actually becoming my favorite caster. Guy has a hilariously dry sense of humor and a great understanding of the game. Otherwise the Day9/djWHEAT combo is awesome.

InControl is actually becoming my favorite caster. Guy has a hilariously dry sense of humor and a great understanding of the game. Otherwise the Day9/djWHEAT combo is awesome.

i don't know... i think an incontrol/artosis combination would just be the bomb. Two really confident casters that are professional enough to play constructively off of each other, even though they disagree often.

Sorry for the noobish post but... How is SC 2 now compared to when it was first released? I was one of the ones who bought the game at the midnight release last year. I played a few of the single player missions, a few games online, and haven't touched it since. A few q's:
Is the game balanced between the races? I remember general consensus was that Terran was OP and Zerg UP.
Has BNET improved? I was really disgusted with the lack of chat rooms, lack of community, terrible custom map interface, basically everything that made original BNET so great was destroyed.
What's the scoop on the next installment, Heart of the Swarm?
Is there a clan system?
Is the game noob friendly at all?

Basically... I'm wondering if it's worth getting back into....

check out the gaming section at justin.tv, pretty much the whole starcraft community is streaming there so you can watch masters playing ladder, coaching, tourneys, etc. day9, gosu coaching, screddit, team liquid, evil genius, ogs crew, and most anyone on youtube has a jtv chan up. plenty of gsl/mlg/tourney pros ie. painuser, huk, idra, ogsmc have been streaming practice sessions every morning/night there lately.

Sorry for the noobish post but... How is SC 2 now compared to when it was first released? I was one of the ones who bought the game at the midnight release last year. I played a few of the single player missions, a few games online, and haven't touched it since. A few q's:
Is the game balanced between the races? I remember general consensus was that Terran was OP and Zerg UP.
Has BNET improved? I was really disgusted with the lack of chat rooms, lack of community, terrible custom map interface, basically everything that made original BNET so great was destroyed.
What's the scoop on the next installment, Heart of the Swarm?
Is there a clan system?
Is the game noob friendly at all?

Basically... I'm wondering if it's worth getting back into....

Answers in order:
The game is new. Get better instead of bitching about balance.
Yes chat rooms, no everything else is slated to change.
It's not out yet.
No.
No, but you might be able to find practice partners at teamliquid.net

I'm starting w/ the Day9 newbie tuesday vids. I'm on the first one, it's very helpful but I see where you guys don't like him going off on tangents.

I got a friend at work that started recently, he should be similar skill to me so I'll try to get some games in vs him to practice.

Reinstalling sucks, 8 hour download ><

Any recommended videos for a total rookie? I played about half of the campaign and 5-6 online matches (got smoked).

I've watched a few vids on hotkeys/grouping, just wanted to see if you guys could recommend any specific series. I'm putting together a new PC soon, probably going to try to get back into the game then. In the meantime I want to watch some vids.

Anything that does a good job of explaining each race's units/counters and what I should be doing at all time (I watched a good Day9 vid for this, I'm gonna try to find it again, it was a sort of mental checklist he runs through at all time).

I may be one of the few who actually funds Husky entertaining, but when it comes to being learning Starcraft day9 is far and away the best. He doesn't get lost in terribly complex ideas, he keeps it simple and informative.

I may be one of the few who actually funds Husky entertaining, but when it comes to being learning Starcraft day9 is far and away the best. He doesn't get lost in terribly complex ideas, he keeps it simple and informative.

I'm on newbie tuesday vid#2 now, I've already learned quite a bit.

When I played my buddy from work he would rush me with zealots or fly in with void rays and even though I could look up the counters to those units it wouldn't help too much.

Day9 is explaining how to scout, and what to look for on this vid, this is exactly the kinda stuff I need right now.

I'm on newbie tuesday vid#2 now, I've already learned quite a bit.

When I played my buddy from work he would rush me with zealots or fly in with void rays and even though I could look up the counters to those units it wouldn't help too much.

Day9 is explaining how to scout, and what to look for on this vid, this is exactly the kinda stuff I need right now.

Yeah, his vids are great. Don't just watch the noobie Tuesday vids, you'll find great info all over. Heck, his Funday Monday vids have some interesting ideas too. I especially like the one where the players had to expand every 5 minutes, it showed how easy it was to win with good macro.

After you watch about 100 D9Ds, he's pretty much covering almost the same thing over and over again. It gets to a point where you're just watching them and you're not sure why any more. I like the guy, good personality and a strong caster. Some of the strategies are information, but talking about basic stuff like mechanics and what a timing is I don't need to hear about any more. Or certain strategic concepts like getting to a certain part of your plan, ect. All of that stuff is important, but after watching enough of them you should get to a point where you can learn new strategies and timings on your own. But again, I think that is the purpose of the daily, to make you into a Starcraft journeyman of sorts.

As for Husky, he's not a bad caster at all, but I don't get the obsession, he's not very informative. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I really enjoyed him on State of the Game recently at PAX, if anything that made me a fan of him as a person.

So... I like 3v3 and 4v4, but I have not played 3v3 in few months for no reason.

Today did around 5 games. 4 cheeses, 1 good game. In 2 games some child kept hiding buildings to prolong the game for 20 minutes by pausing the game constantly.

What's wrong with people?

I'm starting w/ the Day9 newbie tuesday vids. I'm on the first one, it's very helpful but I see where you guys don't like him going off on tangents.

Yeah, I always think of him as a college professor more than a caster. In fact, I think he sounds rather mild-mannered and unexciting when he does live casts around the world. But yeah, in class, I glance between the professor and the presentation material much like how Day9 switches between the camera and game. Professors also go on tangents here and there, so that's another similar feeling I get. Lastly, his style of teaching matches what many professors I've had emphasized: "I'm here to teach you to learn how to learn."

BTW, GSL finals in 3 hours!

Anyone here play Nexus Wars before? A friend and I are trying to play against the a.i. but every time we add any comps, they just sit there and don't actually play.

Anyone here play Nexus Wars before? A friend and I are trying to play against the a.i. but every time we add any comps, they just sit there and don't actually play.

Interesting, haven't seen that bug before, I wonder if massing thors getting stuck has been fixed

Wow what the hell. July is probably going to have nightmares filled with many gateways. The games that July lost weren't even close and the one he won was sheer luck (MC lost two phoenixes for no reason, didn't even see the overlords despite air control, and where the hell was his void ray?). Games were definitely not that enjoyable to watch. Forcefield spam... nothing July can do... game over. I would hardly call the forcefield usage 'amazing'... any platinum level toss can do the same. You just spam it behind the front of the enemy army then go afk and watch your army win. Forcefielding the main ramp has been standard since beta. This was literally a textbook gateway spam slaughter which has been all too common lately.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how July saw the DT inc. on crossfire. Wondering what tingled his korean senses... was it the subtle cloaked unit blur moving around across the map? Or was it his lings changing path slightly to move around the DT...

How I beat gateway indeed.

Wow what the hell. July is probably going to have nightmares filled with many gateways. The games that July lost weren't even close and the one he won was sheer luck (MC lost two phoenixes for no reason, didn't even see the overlords despite air control, and where the hell was his void ray?). Games were definitely not that enjoyable to watch. Forcefield spam... nothing July can do... game over. I would hardly call the forcefield usage 'amazing'... any platinum level toss can do the same. You just spam it behind the front of the enemy army then go afk and watch your army win. Forcefielding the main ramp has been standard since beta. This was literally a textbook gateway spam slaughter which has been all too common lately.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how July saw the DT inc. on crossfire. Wondering what tingled his korean senses... was it the subtle cloaked unit blur moving around across the map? Or was it his lings changing path slightly to move around the DT...

The way FFs were used is nothing new, for sure. But In the same Code S league, I've seen them used so clumsily. Sentries neglected and killed off easily, etc.

i don't understand the love for this game or its predecessor (or C&C since RA2). is it because blizzard does a good job balancing? <i like supcom1/2 WAY more but GPG must have consistently had bad beta testers as the balance is always skewed.>

Anyone got links to GSL finals casts or streams?
I just wait for them them to show up with the rest of the linux distros :eek: If it's a good game today, I'm sure it'll be a good replay a month from now, too.

Highly disagreed about platinum players being able to FF perfectly. MC's FF decision making is amazing imo. FF must be done so that it doesnt overlap, you have to pull back to force his units to split further etc etc.. there's an art to it really

There was also some great decision-making in g1 where, after he killed the expo, he let half of July's units go down the ramp before FF'ing the rest off again. Not sure why July would keep trying to send units down to a dead base, but I guess it was pretty much over at that point anyway. Still, MC remained cautious despite the huge advantage, not sloppily suiciding his units going up a ramp with a potentially deadly defense.

I haven't kept up with the latest GSL. Where can I see the tournament ladder with matchups? What happened to the last champion? Immvp?

I haven't kept up with the latest GSL. Where can I see the tournament ladder with matchups? What happened to the last champion? Immvp?

He was knocked out of the Round of 32 this season. Then proceeded to get knocked down to Code A in the Up/Down matches. :eek:

He was knocked out of the Round of 32 this season. Then proceeded to get knocked down to Code A in the Up/Down matches. :eek:

WOW! He was supposedly invincible last season. I think losing hopelessly to Squirtle's Protoss in the GSTL (even getting double mothershipped) might have brought him down to earth. Protoss is getting very powerful.

WOW! He was supposedly invincible last season. I think losing hopelessly to Squirtle's Protoss in the GSTL (even getting double mothershipped) might have brought him down to earth. Protoss is getting very powerful.

Yeah, he faced two Protoss in the Up/Down matches. The up and coming SlayersS_Alicia and mvpGenius. He got knocked out of the Ro32 by getting 0-2 against ST_July though.

Highly disagreed about platinum players being able to FF perfectly. MC's FF decision making is amazing imo. FF must be done so that it doesnt overlap, you have to pull back to force his units to split further etc etc.. there's an art to it really

You honestly think those were perfect forcefields? It was literally forcefield overload. Make enough sentries with full energy that it doesn't matter. Your average diamond ladder player can pull that off.

So I got SC2 reinstalled, watched a few vids last night and played some games with a friend this morning (2v2 vs AI). I kept getting lost in my build.

I think I just need to play 1v1 vs the computer and practice the build up to maybe 20-25 and restart... I kept forgetting things like my gas building, forgetting supply depots, letting SCVs idle (friend came over and showed me the shift click after building, that helps a ton).

Kind of a frustrating game...

To me, it's the kind of game where you have to like it for what it is first, rather than trying to focus on getting good at it (competitively) first.

very... much so that I gave up and went onto playing fps'es again

It requires practice, and the love for the game. For me it is a game I get enjoyment out of because I can see my progress as I get better.

It surely isn't a game you will master over night... not in a week ....not even in a month.

My friend and I played our first six games last night after not playing for a few months. To say the least, we got destroyed. I kind of wish we decayed out of gold league cause damn we suck now and it doesnt help getting wrecked by diamond players in the first few minutes of a game lol.

Back