• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Starcraft 3?

It's not legit. And even if it was, all of Blizzard's RTS team left (see Frost Giant Studios and Stormgate). They have no RTS developers at Blizzard, it would suck.

If there is any truth at all to it, it's a StarCraft game that is not an RTS or StarCraft 3. It would be an MMO like World of StarCraft, or an FPS, card game, or some shitty mobile game.


I doubt there is anything though. Blizzard cut all funding to StarCraft, tournaments are only alive through crowd funding and sponsors now. If they were making a new StarCraft game they would keep funding to retain some interest in the franchise. StarCraft 2 will die when Stormgate comes out. StarCraft: Brood War will maintain it's niche audience and that's going to be all that remains of SC.
 
Can't imagine them actually making an RTS in this day and age.

Blizzard likes live service games with mountains of microtransactions that they can milk for years to come. Doesn't really fit with an RTS.
 
A starcraft mmorpg would be cool.

When they go back to it, and I have no doubt they will, they'll make three games: A squad-based shooter you play as a marine, a platform-based shooter you play as the zerg, and a stealth game you play as the protoss. All three games will cost $60 and have no more than 15-20 single-player run times. The first game will have coop multiplayer, the second one will have speed runs and time trials, and the third one will bring arena multiplayer for all three, with seasons that each run $10-20 that last one to two years.

What foul evil have I wrought; I better get a fucking cut.
 
Starcraft 3 never have been made is somewhat strange, but as many mentionned how do you moneytize this a la Diablo-heartstone-overwatch-wow, you can sell skins-theme, match loading avatar, voice pack with battlenet money that you can either grind or buy.

That said Diablo 4 opening week sales could make it tempting just for the upfront actual game sales money and it bring people to your battlenet and make it possible to show them ads for your other product all the time.
 
Can't imagine them actually making an RTS in this day and age.

Blizzard likes live service games with mountains of microtransactions that they can milk for years to come. Doesn't really fit with an RTS.
That’s what SC2 was. The main driver of sales and players in the community was micro-transaction content.

They created missions that could be played in teams PvE and hero’s etc with special powers in addition to all the cosmetics. Microtransactions in fact are what fueled all the tournaments, made a long term balance team possible, and also made Blizzard income. They had a regular release schedule that coincided with each SC season. In fact you can still buy all of that microtransaction content if you want.

It was killed for the same reason HotS was killed. Though it made money, it didn’t make “enough” money. Activision doesn’t want products produced that make “some money” it has to have stupendous ROI, or they’d rather spend development resources elsewhere.

They absolutely do not care about community, or good will at all. Them killing both of those franchises was the surest sign that Blizzard isn’t Blizzard anymore.
 
There was something like 11 years between Brood Wars and Wings of Liberty. Only been like 8 since Legacy of the Void. So I have no doubt they have likely been looking what to do next with the IP whether that is another RTS or next I’m not sure.

A starcraft mmorpg would be cool.

The ship has likely sailed but an MMOFPS like Planetside would have been a great way to bridge it with StarCraft.
 
They absolutely do not care about community, or good will at all. Them killing both of those franchises was the surest sign that Blizzard isn’t Blizzard anymore.
Exactly. Just look at diablo 4 and the shit show that is.
"We hear our players loud and clear! We know what you want, we just don't give a fuck."
 
Starcraft 3? Not important. What's important is changing the old games to show the world your modern liberal sensibilities. Now that's important!
 
I dunno, I wouldn't give up the dream on a Starcraft RTS with Microsoft (potentially) at the helm.

Age of Empires IV show that somebody at MS is interested in greenlighting RTS games.
 
From what we've seen of storm gate that isn't looking to be the starcraft killer either lol just looked like a starcraft clone
 
Necroing the thread since a new Starcraft was announced for 2030 release. No details on what type of game, but from the Blizzcon video it could be anything.


View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eQUtOQXYgQ

Massively seems to think it's an open world shooter.

https://massivelyop.com/2026/09/12/...d-announces-new-open-world-starcraft-shooter/

EDIT: They were there liveblogging, and it was introduced as that.

https://massivelyop.com/2026/09/12/...-the-opening-ceremony-and-all-of-its-reveals/
 
Though I never played Helldivers it sounds more like it. Hopefully all three races are playable. Better be good too as I'm certain a fair amount of young gamers out there probably never played Starcraft 1 or 2.
 
Guess I'll play GTA 6 for 4 years then get the new StarCraft.

Although, with SC being one of my all-time favorite IPs, I really want StarCraft 3 (another RTS).
 
The more I look at this the more I think it's going to be a Destiny clone with Helldivers 2 elements because they saw how hard Sony has dropped the ball on Destiny so there is a gap in the market.

Or maybe a Far Cry clone with Starfield elements in planet travel and space battles in the Starcraft universe as the project lead is Dan Hay, his production history is below.

Raven Software / Activision (2003–c. 2008)​

He started in games as a cinematic/animation lead, then art director on Marvel titles:

  • 007: Nightfire (2002) — cinematic work (his first game credit)
  • X-Men Legends (2004) — cinematics / animation lead; also voiced Apocalypse and a NYC acolyte
  • X-Men Legends II: Rise of Apocalypse (2005) — art director
  • Quake 4 (2005) — cinematic consultant
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (2006) — art director
  • X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) — art director on conception/pre-production (thanks credit on the shipped game)

Day 1 Studios (2008–2011)​

  • Fracture (2008) — senior producer
  • F.E.A.R. 3 / F.3.A.R. (2011) — senior producer

Ubisoft Montreal — Far Cry brand (2011–2021)​

This is the stretch people mean by “former Far Cry boss.” He joined as producer on Far Cry 3 and then ran the brand:

  • Far Cry 3 (2012) — producer
  • Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (2013) — executive producer
  • Far Cry 4 (2014) — executive producer
  • Far Cry Primal (2016) — executive producer
  • Far Cry 5 (2018) — executive producer and creative director (also story credit)
  • Far Cry New Dawn (2019) — executive producer
  • Far Cry 6 (2021) — brand executive director
He left Ubisoft on 12 November 2021. Reports at the time said he had been working on a next Far Cry that was expected to go live-service.

Blizzard Entertainment (2022–present)​

He joined as GM/VP. Credits and public roles include:

  • Diablo IV (2023) — vice president and executive producer
  • Warcraft Rumble (2023) — vice president / executive producer
  • Diablo IV expansions (Vessel of Hatred 2024, Lord of Hatred 2026) — Blizzard leadership
  • An unannounced survival game internally known as Odyssey (cancelled in 2024)
  • New StarCraft open-world shooter — announced at BlizzCon 2026 (yesterday), targeting spring 2030; Hay is leading the project and presented it as an on-the-ground shooter rather than an RTS.
 
Open world shooter is all they said. Which is vague on purpose.

I suspect they haven't even really decided exactly what kind of game it is going to be.
2030 means they probably don't have much, if anything done.

My guess is it ends up something like Destiny with missions similar to Helldivers.




I don't think this will happen but this is what I want:

Something like Planetside where you have 3 teams, terran, zerg, and protoss with 100s of players in a game each starting on a big map with their main bases having a command center and minerals. You take over other bases similar to actual StarCraft bases on the map with minerals and gas. This gives you resources to spend money divided evenly among the team. You can save them up to be higher tier units or get upgrades like stim pack or whatever.

You control individual characters, marines, zerglings, zealots, mutalisks, wraiths, etc. in third person, maybe first person is an option.

Base building and mining resources would be mostly automated type stuff. Like you probably always can build a siege tank you just need to save up, but maybe you can choose to spend your own money to build a bunker or missile turret you can get in and use.
The base would automatically build SCVs and mine the minerals, but enemies could kill them to slow your economy, so you have to protect them.

Games would last around 15 to an hour depending on map size. All the enemy bases get destroyed to win the game, but also just like StarCraft you can mine out of resources which moves the game along.

It will probably be nothing like that but that's what I want.
 
Kinda unreal that Blizzard would announce a game so far out in advance. Which seems on brand for Blizzard but I don't think you can get away with that these days. In comparison, Battlefield 6 was revealed June of last year and a open beta was ready about two months later.
 
Kinda unreal that Blizzard would announce a game so far out in advance. Which seems on brand for Blizzard but I don't think you can get away with that these days. In comparison, Battlefield 6 was revealed June of last year and a open beta was ready about two months later.
It's probably Asha forcing them to announce games. If not that it's them trying to protect people from being fired by making it harder to fire people since it would be a bad image to cancel a new starcraft/diablo.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: DF-1
like this
It's probably Asha forcing them to announce games. If not that it's them trying to protect people from being fired by making harder to fire people since it would be a bad image to cancel a new starcraft/diablo.
If Microsoft is dictating how it's made 95% of the development team will be contractors and impossible hide they're working on it.
Hopefully that's not the case and it's all full time blizzard employees.
 
If Microsoft is dictating how it's made 95% of the development team will be contractors and impossible hide they're working on it.
Hopefully that's not the case and it's all full time blizzard employees.
The lead on the game just finished the last Diablo 4 expansion earlier in the year so there's probably next to no work done the Starcraft shooter except the promo video and some basic plans. Four years is more than enough time to make it, assuming the staff aren't all adult daycare employees.
 
Just recalled that Space Marine 3 is in development too. Hope this means Saber Interactive will respond to this Starcraft news to up their game in their... game ;)
 
Tough spot.

The OG Starcraft is, unexaggeratedly, GOAT material. A landmark in gaming history. Gritty themes and atmosphere, and the axiom of 'limitation breeds creativity' was in full effect with the story being mostly told through unit portraits conversing in game. Primitive, but the storytelling still holds up. Campaign, online skirmishes, LAN skirmishes, and custom UMS maps with astonishing creativity. And at least in Korea, a permanent icon of pop culture. It must have been quite something to be a nerdy Korean adolescent or young adult in the early 00s and having droves of fangirls show up to a venue to watch you play a computer game (televised!), screaming and cheering for you.

SC2 when I played it, debates over balance aside, was mechanically solid. Very fluid and competent modern RTS. Following Raynor's crew was kind of a cool way of telling the story, but it was notably less gritty and almost cartoony. E.g., the pseudo-WoW-dwarf crew member, the slender scientist guy, or Mengsk's son, whose virtuosity was so out of place that I fully expected him to betray Raynor and was in disbelief when I finished the game and he was still actually an ally. The Big Bad was some generic gnarled-voice aether-being. This was a huge letdown and did not do justice to the secret Brood War mission that hinted at the existence of some greater force yet to be unveiled. The second and third installments continued trending into cartoon territory. Good games, but not quite the magic of the original.

If SC2030 it were RTS, it'd be risky. I don't think people care about that genre in enough numbers anymore to sell a SC3 RTS. It might be overshadowed by its predecessors.
Alternately, as a shooter, they risk fumbling the reputation of an IP that has always been synonymous with RTS greatness. As much as I wanted more Starcraft back then, cancelling Ghost was probably the right call.

Cap it with the reality that Blizzard of the 90s is basically just a memory, and this makes me skittish. I'm hoping they don't botch it.



To pivot away from the ranting and raving,
Something like Planetside
I don't know if this would make for a good game or not, but I like the idea.
 
Tough spot.

The OG Starcraft is, unexaggeratedly, GOAT material. A landmark in gaming history. Gritty themes and atmosphere, and the axiom of 'limitation breeds creativity' was in full effect with the story being mostly told through unit portraits conversing in game. Primitive, but the storytelling still holds up. Campaign, online skirmishes, LAN skirmishes, and custom UMS maps with astonishing creativity. And at least in Korea, a permanent icon of pop culture. It must have been quite something to be a nerdy Korean adolescent or young adult in the early 00s and having droves of fangirls show up to a venue to watch you play a computer game (televised!), screaming and cheering for you.

SC2 when I played it, debates over balance aside, was mechanically solid. Very fluid and competent modern RTS. Following Raynor's crew was kind of a cool way of telling the story, but it was notably less gritty and almost cartoony. E.g., the pseudo-WoW-dwarf crew member, the slender scientist guy, or Mengsk's son, whose virtuosity was so out of place that I fully expected him to betray Raynor and was in disbelief when I finished the game and he was still actually an ally. The Big Bad was some generic gnarled-voice aether-being. This was a huge letdown and did not do justice to the secret Brood War mission that hinted at the existence of some greater force yet to be unveiled. The second and third installments continued trending into cartoon territory. Good games, but not quite the magic of the original.

If SC2030 it were RTS, it'd be risky. I don't think people care about that genre in enough numbers anymore to sell a SC3 RTS. It might be overshadowed by its predecessors.
Alternately, as a shooter, they risk fumbling the reputation of an IP that has always been synonymous with RTS greatness. As much as I wanted more Starcraft back then, cancelling Ghost was probably the right call.

Cap it with the reality that Blizzard of the 90s is basically just a memory, and this makes me skittish. I'm hoping they don't botch it.



To pivot away from the ranting and raving,

I don't know if this would make for a good game or not, but I like the idea.

Wardogs just came out a couple days ago and it's basically Planetside set in the modern day. It's doing really well, near the top of Steam for player count.

But from the couple of StarCraft interviews they did it sounds like they're dead set on telling some sort of story so I doubt they'll pivot.

I'm happy they're not making an RTS because I just don't think they have it in them to make it as good as the original or SC2. An open world shooter isn't really something I want but maybe they can pull off.
Brood War will live on forever no matter what Blizzard does. But SC2 would probably be competing with an SC3 and if SC3 wasn't good enough it might kill both SC2 and 3.
 
I forget if I posted in this thread yet.

But yea, I was ready for Star craft 3 no later than like 2020. But now its too late.

Supreme commander forged alliances and sins of a solar empire were last great RTS I played.
 
Back
Top