Starcraft 2 Beta

Rank 18 100% random platinum now for 3v3. Good place to end beta I guess.

Yeah I'm kind of annoyed that it's over, I just got to finished my placement matches last night for 1v1. Probably not enough time to get into a Diamond.

so true. I keep getting same guys for my partner. Wish we could have banlist so we dont have to play withpeople we dont want to. Takes about 10 min to find game(diamond)

Lol :D

That said I do agree, there should be filters/settings for the AMM.

i might have to take back my last post. i am glad to see that i think they have finally put in place the real placement stuff into the beta.

i WAS complaining about how having a bad night paired with noobs could ruin your placement and essentially your teammates skill for a while. but after about a dozen more games in each category; 1v1,2v2,3v3,4v4 i have jumped 2 or 3 levels after a while. i went from silver to plat in one, bronze to gold in 1, bronze to plat in another. definitely feel like bnet is doing a much better job of determining my real skill...even though i have only been in diamond in 1 category :)

IdrA isn't a heel, he is THE heel.

IdrA and HD/Husky don't like each other if you didn't know. IdrA doesn't like them because they just popped up on the SC2 scene and are making money from their video views off other people's games via YouTube Partnership. They also split their videos into multiple 10 minute videos for more views, even though their Partnership program allows videos to be extended much longer. Also, HDStarcraft was pimping his channel hardcore early on and you could get banned for mentioning it on certain forums. So I can kinda understand why IdrA wouldn't like them and HD probably did this video just to kind of tip his hat.

Who does IdrA like? He probably has some toadies in Korea with him but who else?

I don't get one person making a living off of SC2 and e-sports calling out anyone else as unworthy.

If the pro players want to do things differently and make their money, they should (and not use low settings). Oh wait, they just got over $4,000 split among the best finishers in the Invitational, before the game was even released. Such a shame that they built up and pimped their channels to land that prize money and jumped through the hoops to cast every game. Maybe they won't invite IdrA to the HDH Invitational 2 with twice the prize money.

Why wouldn't they just pop up on the Starcraft "scene," they're college age. Were they supposed to be pro players in high school? Even if a 16 or 18 year-old starts rising now in SC2... good luck.

The length is fine, not everyone wants to triple the file size. It's not a lecture, it's like splitting each game into periods/halves. 1080p there is about 225 MB.

Last edited:
I've never seen IdrA be anything but a douche bag, lol. I hope Husky/HD the best if only to piss off IdrA.

I always wondered why HD/Husky would upload two 6 minute videos instead of just one 12 minute video, especially since they have partnership...

Since it does end today... maybe this thread should be closed or a new thread should be opened to discuss the full game.

I can't log in. I get the error that Battle.net doesn't recognize my version of SCII. Is the beta finally over then? :( What will I do for 8 days?

i got to rank 12 diamond, i think that was a good way to end it. i won't be getting the game when it comes out, so good luck to everyone that will continue sc2 :)

so mad i come home from class early looking to play SC2 and now i cant :(

8 days of waiting is brutal

Why would I have gotten a beta key from Blizzard at 6:37am this morning if the beta was already over?

Guess I got trolled...I was hoping to try it out since I've never been a huge RTS player but might get it anyway.

Why would I have gotten a beta key from Blizzard at 6:37am this morning if the beta was already over?

Guess I got trolled...I was hoping to try it out since I've never been a huge RTS player but might get it anyway.

Those cruel, cruel moderators... :eek:

Haha I'd be pissed, though it seems quite a few people got there beta keys over the last few days. The new SC2 thread in here will be epic, maybe a few of us Bronze players could get some lessons from Platinum+ members.

I never got to play beta, is this game worth buying for all you beta testers? Is it anything like the original?

TBH,I'm hoping the single player is good because that's the only reason I got it.

I doubt it. They'll charge the full $60. This is the Activision-Blizzard that wants to take the fun out of games we're talking about here. Good old Blizzard is no more.
Uh, Activision has nothing to do with it. Blizzard began offering digital download versions of their games at full box price before the merger took place.

Besides, this is Starcraft 2 we're talking about. If not being able to save five or ten bucks "takes the fun" out of the game for you, then you probably weren't such a big fan of the game in the first place. For me (and almost everyone else here), this game will be $60 well-spent.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty-gpu-graphics-performance/

Big review of various GPU's/resolutions on max settings with/without antialiasing... looks like Ultra can hurt things at 2560x1600 4x AA, but that's about it :eek: . Looking for a deal on the game... I'm not so desperate to get it that I'll shell out the full $60 for it, but once I can find it for $25-30 or less I'll snap it up. Too many good games to play nowadays especially at $15/less or even 10/less... and I say this as someone who played Starcraft 1 a lot and very much am/was looking forward to Starcraft 2.

$25-30.. I don't think you'll see that price for atleast 2 years.

Eh, there was 30% off with bing cashback already on overstock.com the other day that worked with Starcraft 2... games just flat-out go down too quickly nowadays to shell out full-price (especially $60) for a single one. With so many ridiculously cheap, equally good games around, I just don't see myself buying it for full-price, especially since I have such a huge backlog of 'em.

Eh, there was 30% off with bing cashback already on overstock.com the other day that worked with Starcraft 2... games just flat-out go down too quickly nowadays to shell out full-price (especially $60) for a single one. With so many ridiculously cheap, equally good games around, I just don't see myself buying it for full-price, especially since I have such a huge backlog of 'em.
"Equally good" is a matter of personal opinion, of course :p refraxion is right though. $20-30? Maybe for other games, but not for a Blizzard game. Anyway, not trying to bash you or anything, just saying that it'll be awhile (probably a LONG awhile) before you can get it at that price regularly.

Personally, I'm more excited for Cataclysm. I wasn't too big of a fan of SC and although I'll probably end up buying SC2, I don't think I'll be playing it very often.

Heh, I'm not too sure if Bing Cashback works for Canadians too? I could be wrong, can't say I've tried.

I never got to play beta, is this game worth buying for all you beta testers? Is it anything like the original?

It's like the original on crack with way better unit pathing and graphics... and you can finally select an unlimited amount of units in 1 control group ;)

Maybe its time to kill this thread since beta is over and start a new "release" thread?

I got the beta key soooo late

There is a way to keep playing but not sure if its against the forum rules to state how.

Just pre ordered my copy, SO EXCITED to play the single player. I just know I would get spanked in multi player against people. Anyone know a good site to learn strats on multiplayer tactics?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/starcraft-ii-wings-of-liberty-gpu-graphics-performance/

Big review of various GPU's/resolutions on max settings with/without antialiasing... looks like Ultra can hurt things at 2560x1600 4x AA, but that's about it :eek: . Looking for a deal on the game... I'm not so desperate to get it that I'll shell out the full $60 for it, but once I can find it for $25-30 or less I'll snap it up. Too many good games to play nowadays especially at $15/less or even 10/less... and I say this as someone who played Starcraft 1 a lot and very much am/was looking forward to Starcraft 2.

That's nice and all, but they are running it on an overclocked i7, which, to me, totally defeats the purpose of the benchmarking. Even blizzard themselves said the game will be CPU limited over GPU, and this is further demonstrated in the fact that a 4770 can run this game over 30fps at 19x12.

aka, the cpu is probably carrying most of the workload. so unless you have an overclocked i7, i wouldn't bet on these numbers.

Yeah I don't think you'll be getting the game for 30 bucks until about a year or so from now. Even with bing cash back, I don't see the MSRP on this game dropping below 50 dollars for 2-3 years.

TBH,I'm hoping the single player is good because that's the only reason I got it.

When talking to one of the lead programmers (yes), he told me that by separating the campaigns into 3 different games they were able to (for the first time) add real depth to a campaign experience in the RTS genre.

Yeah I don't think you'll be getting the game for 30 bucks until about a year or so from now. Even with bing cash back, I don't see the MSRP on this game dropping below 50 dollars for 2-3 years.

Correct. There is not going to be any price drop for this game for atleast 2-3 years. Anyone looking to save money should head to their local Frys on launch day, Frys always discounts all games (on launch) $10-12.

Considering what is possible in UMS games, I imagine they may even get some pointers from the community. Did they ever increase the max upload size for custom maps? There was a huge thread on TL about this, and now just remembered it.

Considering what is possible in UMS games, I imagine they may even get some pointers from the community. Did they ever increase the max upload size for custom maps? There was a huge thread on TL about this, and now just remembered it.

Considering what is possible, I'd imagine as their server space increases, they'll increase the amount of data we're able to upload onto their server. I think the current limitation was only in place for the beta. Of course, this is only speculative, but Blizzard typically always comes through.

Interesting benchmarks. Makes me want to upgrade my GTX260 (2560x1600 display).... tho with AA seems like it becomes expensive... 1GB GTX460 tho looks pretty smooth tho. I wonder in big battles which is choking more, GPU or CPU... especially with a mothership cloaking crap, that destroys FPS.

Interesting benchmarks. Makes me want to upgrade my GTX260 (2560x1600 display).... tho with AA seems like it becomes expensive... 1GB GTX460 tho looks pretty smooth tho. I wonder in big battles which is choking more, GPU or CPU... especially with a mothership cloaking crap, that destroys FPS.

Getting a decent experience out of lower/middle spec machines is kind of a Blizzard trademark at this point, I'm not worried about how it will perform at all.

I'm more concerned about the repeated MP pwnage I'll face :p

I can't remember what my settings in the Beta were, but they were pretty close to max if I recall and I had no problems running it smoothly with my rig.

Max settings with my rig was very smooth (1920x1200), once I put AA on it came to a crawl, I could put it at 2x and still playable just lagged when first loading.

It makes me want to upgrade but for no reason, like I know it will look fine and play amazing but its like AHHHH GO GET THE BEST TO PLAY IT AT MAX WITH AA but I dont need it.

Back