Star Wars: Squadrons

low playercount sucks IMO. I miss the old days of 128 player 1942 servers on maps like coral sea. Where you actually had real dog fights going on with many planes.

God damn those were good times. It’s sad that PC gaming has regressed—I blame consoles and dlc greed.

Yeah the player count is low (considering the space battles on SWBF2 2017 were larger), but these are larger than the original XvT games (which has 8 player multiplayer).

I’m hyped! I really hope it’s similar to X-Wing vs Tie Fighter series, but I’d settle for Rogue Squadron with multiplayer.

I also liked Battlefront 2’s space combat, so I’d even settle for that.

If it is like "X-Wing vs Tie Fighter" I have ZERO interest.

If it is like "X-Wing Collectors CD-ROM" or the original "Tie Fighter" I have a LOT of interest.

If it is like "X-Wing vs Tie Fighter" I have ZERO interest.

If it is like "X-Wing Collectors CD-ROM" or the original "Tie Fighter" I have a LOT of interest.

I meant the series. X-Wing Alliance and Tie-Fighter were the best in the series.

Gameplay looks sick! This might finally be it!

The gall to call a selection screen between two pre-defined characters "character customization" ROTFLMAO.
I love how in their world inclusion = Exclude whites but especially white males.
I tell now, if those are the only two character options then I'm not buying this game. Call me a racist, call me a bigot all you want, it only hurts if it's true.
I'm still the customer, and I have the money they want. And I'll hold on to it.

What is with the white supremacy going on in this forum today? It’s a game about starships shooting lasers at other starships. The pilot is you. Who cares what avatars are being featured! We all know there’s going to be a white male in there, so really just give it up already.

What is with the white supremacy going on in this forum today? It’s a game about starships shooting lasers at other starships. The pilot is you. Who cares what avatars are being featured! We all know there’s going to be a white male in there, so really just give it up already.

He's simply pointing out that their "customization" is a joke. Any game that I can remember playing that had a player customization screen, you could change everything from skin color to eye color. This is just a "choose who you are" screen.

I think you forgot for a sec that this is 2020. :p

So you must choose a pre-generated character for each side of the single player bit and unlock customizations for your avatar after that. This is what it seems to show. Not seeing an issue here. Seriously who gives a shit if the tutorial campaign pilots aren’t white dudes?

What I heard in there ,and what really sounds appealing to me ,is that it mentions fleet battle mode can be your squadron vs AI. That’s coop and I’ll definitely buy it for that alone if true. I’m not opposed to pvp but coop with people you actually like is where it’s at for me 😎

He's simply pointing out that their "customization" is a joke. Any game that I can remember playing that had a player customization screen, you could change everything from skin color to eye color. This is just a "choose who you are" screen.

That seems to be the case. But who cares? It is a space ship based game, not a 3rd person RPG. And it takes place purely in the cockpit view. Why do they even show characters outside of the SP mode? Just a waste of time and fluff, that shouldn't be in a vehicle based MP game. Again, story campaign is different as I assume the character is voiced and has cut scenes.

Based on that gameplay trailer - and the "play entire game in VR" - I have a feeling this game is going to sell a TON of VR headsets.

Half Life Alyx was one thing in terms of compelling VR proliferation and headset sales, but generationally there are a lot of younger gamers that don't actually give a shit about the Half Life universe because it was before their time. But Star Wars + space combat are whole 'nuther level in terms of universal appeal.

Last edited:
Which is very refreshing. The worst part about games with involved character customization is spending an hour making a character.

Not replying directly so I don't get notification, was that part of your plan? Well, sorry I'm here anyway.
If mentioning lack of white representation is white supremacy, then mentioning lack of black representation is black supremacy? Or do you use different standards for different people, which I'm sorry to say is the very definition of racial prejudice aka. racism.
I think you forgot for a sec that this is 2020. :p
Oh no, it is the current year!
That seems to be the case. But who cares? It is a space ship based game, not a 3rd person RPG. And it takes place purely in the cockpit view. Why do they even show characters outside of the SP mode?
This little something called story and cut-scenes. Which to me comes first in any single player game. If I can't have a good story I don't even look at the gameplay.

just a waste of time and fluff, that shouldn't be in a vehicle based MP game. Again, story campaign is different as I assume the character is voiced and has cut scenes.
To some people their avatar is even more important in MP, that's how activision and others sell a ton of cosmetic items.

Which is very refreshing. The worst part about games with involved character customization is spending an hour making a character.
Wait what? Who is holding a gun to your head to spend an hour in a character creator? If you don't care about it just leave it on default takes 1 second of your time. But no, you have to a be a bigot about it and would take it away from everyone, who likes involved character customization.

So you must choose a pre-generated character for each side of the single player bit and unlock customizations for your avatar after that. This is what it seems to show. Not seeing an issue here. Seriously who gives a shit if the tutorial campaign pilots aren’t white dudes?
The pregen characters could be spacedogs for all I care, just don't call a character selection screen "character customization". You aren't even selecting a character, you are choosing a side.
Actually now that I think of it, I find the under representation of jawas very problematic!

The pregen characters could be spacedogs for all I care, just don't call a character selection screen "character customization". You aren't even selecting a character, you are choosing a side.
Actually now that I think of it, I find the under representation of jawas very problematic!

#JLM

Seriously though, I agree the character customization stuff looks paper thin at best. Reminds me of EA Battlefront 1 where there were like 6 "heads" to choose from and that was your "customization."

I'm cautiously optimistic about this though, it looks like it could be decent for some quick MP shenanigans, but a TIE Fighter replacement it ain't.

To some people their avatar is even more important in MP, that's how activision and others sell a ton of cosmetic items.

Wish it wasn't, I despise micro transactions. Yes, even cosmetic ones.

As long as I'm not forced to create a character and the SP gives me a good story/character/cutscenes I am fine. I'll customize a character for SP but not MP. I have a few hundred hours in Modern Warfare but am still using the default character, looks the most realistic. Can't be bothered to change it.

The question is whether solo players can continue to play after the campaign is over.

Not replying directly so I don't get notification, was that part of your plan? Well, sorry I'm here anyway.
If mentioning lack of white representation is white supremacy, then mentioning lack of black representation is black supremacy? Or do you use different standards for different people, which I'm sorry to say is the very definition of racial prejudice aka. racism.

It's not just this topic, but people keep bringing up race on multiple forum topics lately on this forum, and it's clear there are just a lot of uneducated, ignorant folks on here. Yes, you can tell they tried to play off the diversity card, but who freaking cares? This is a Star Wars video game, something people should use for enjoyment and to escape from the real world for a few hours at a time. It's their game, if you don't feel like you're represented, don't freaking play it. I'm excited about the game, and would rather actually just discuss the game instead of making every post about this "WAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! NO WHITE PEOPLE!".

The question is whether solo players can continue to play after the campaign is over.

They said the one mode against the capital ships can be played solo.

Reactions: odoe
like this
... it's clear there are just a lot of uneducated, ignorant folks on here. Yes, you can tell they tried to play off the diversity card...

70313116.jpg

I'm just using the ignore feature from now on instead of arguing with idiots. It's a star wars video game. Trying to make more out of it because you want white representation is just stupid (there are white people in the game lmao).

I'm just using the ignore feature from now on instead of arguing with idiots. It's a star wars video game. Trying to make more out of it because you want white representation is just stupid (there are white people in the game lmao).

Nice edit to get rid of that political Trump pic.

On topic, hopefully the SP will be longer than a handful of hours. Cautiously optimistic on this one but it also is EA.

Sure the trailer here does not give enough details and maybe , speculation, one can fully customize a character from go for multiplayer but it isn't shown. The campaign char are set likely for story telling etc but I feel that you and I are on the same page on that. Who cares what they are. It just seems that people tend to get political on everything and of course Disney seems to push things there for whatever reason. For me at the end of the day its a game and hopefully it doesn't suck . As a long time Star Wars fan , despite what the mouse has done to it, I want it to be good since Xwing is one of my all time favs.

Reactions: JMCB
like this
Wish it wasn't, I despise micro transactions. Yes, even cosmetic ones.
I do too, in fact I think they are just as evil as any gameplay altering purchases. Jim Sterling had a very on point video about cosmetic mictro transactions. I know, I know Jim Sterling is not exactly universally liked, I disagree with him more than I agree, but on this topic he was on the money. I judge the message not the messenger.

As long as I'm not forced to create a character and the SP gives me a good story/character/cutscenes I am fine. I'll customize a character for SP but not MP. I have a few hundred hours in Modern Warfare but am still using the default character, looks the most realistic. Can't be bothered to change it.
Well I don't remember any game that forced you to change the appearance of the character. Of course in RPGs you are forced to assign points, but you wouldn't be playing an RPG if you didn't want to assign skill points.

It's not just this topic, but people keep bringing up race on multiple forum topics lately on this forum, and it's clear there are just a lot of uneducated, ignorant folks on here.
Nice ad hominem, I don't need to add anything to that, it already qualifies you as a swell virtuous guy, who elevates himself above all the rest of us plebs.
Yes, you can tell they tried to play off the diversity card, but who freaking cares?
Who doesn't want videogames to remind them of real world politics? Who wants to escape the nonsense that is social justice? And who simply does not tolerate racists.
This is a Star Wars video game, something people should use for enjoyment and to escape from the real world for a few hours at a time.
Yes, I want to escape the real world idiocies, not constantly reminded of them even in games.
It's their game, if you don't feel like you're represented, don't freaking play it.
It's not that I don't feel represented, this may come as a shock to your prejudices but when I have a choice in games I don't play as white male characters.
But I don't like to give money to actual racists and will point out the hypocrisy of people who say they are inclusive, but are excluding white males at the same time.

I'm excited about the game, and would rather actually just discuss the game instead of making every post about this "WAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! NO WHITE PEOPLE!".
I want race to be ignored, but you cannot while some developers are deliberately pushing quotas.
Storytelling has become secondary even tertiary in games / movies these days, that's what I have a problem with. You can't tell a good story if you are concerned by diversity for the sake of diversity. And it stopped becoming diversity anyway. We skeptics warned at the first sign when they started this agenda, that it will not stop until all "undesirables" are eradicated from the character pool. And undesirables to them also include good looking women, apart from white men, then men in general. If we continue down this path eventually all characters in games will be very racially diverse (excl. white) ugly women. That's why the need to push back. Believe me I wish I didn't have to talk about this either.

The gall to call a selection screen between two pre-defined characters "character customization" ROTFLMAO.
I love how in their world inclusion = Exclude whites but especially white males.
I tell now, if those are the only two character options then I'm not buying this game. Call me a racist, call me a bigot all you want, it only hurts if it's true.
I'm still the customer, and I have the money they want. And I'll hold on to it.

Racist, bigot? Can't confirm. Insecure as all hell? Blatantly.

I have no idea why you would be so willing to show your fragility when they showed 3 races in the character customization.

Imagine being this defensive simply because being a white male wasn't explicitly shown as being an option despite a white female being shown.

And I bet you call other people snowflakes.

Nice ad hominem, I don't need to add anything to that, it already qualifies you as a swell virtuous guy, who elevates himself above all the rest of us plebs.

Who doesn't want videogames to remind them of real world politics? Who wants to escape the nonsense that is social justice? And who simply does not tolerate racists.

Yes, I want to escape the real world idiocies, not constantly reminded of them even in games.

It's not that I don't feel represented, this may come as a shock to your prejudices but when I have a choice in games I don't play as white male characters.
But I don't like to give money to actual racists and will point out the hypocrisy of people who say they are inclusive, but are excluding white males at the same time.

I want race to be ignored, but you cannot while some developers are deliberately pushing quotas.
Storytelling has become secondary even tertiary in games / movies these days, that's what I have a problem with. You can't tell a good story if you are concerned by diversity for the sake of diversity. And it stopped becoming diversity anyway. We skeptics warned at the first sign when they started this agenda, that it will not stop until all "undesirables" are eradicated from the character pool. And undesirables to them also include good looking women, apart from white men, then men in general. If we continue down this path eventually all characters in games will be very racially diverse (excl. white) ugly women. That's why the need to push back. Believe me I wish I didn't have to talk about this either.

To start, I don't like to think I'm a "swell, virtuous guy", actually I know I'm a big jerk. But you know what's being more of a jerk? Some of the comments I've seen on this forum that are garnered to the dwindling powerless white male losing his status in video games. It's absolutely ridiculous. Nobody from EA games is trying to rid the world of the white man in their video games. You'd be delusional if you thought so. Even if they were pushing the diversity card in their trailer, it still never equated to that. They might have wanted to get a few more demographics interested in the game, and having an Asian, Black, Latino guy/girl in the game can make some Star Wars fan out there feel like they're included, then they did their job as an artist. I'm sorry if you feel attacked. When some white kid plays the game, there will be a character that will look possibly close to him too, and he might set it up as his avatar and enjoy it just as well. Or just as you said, maybe they'll play as another race or even an alien race, and not give darn about it, because it's a video game.

And if you are being reminded of race wars in video games that have NOTHING to do with that, then something is wrong your line of thinking and not the game.

Racist, bigot? Can't confirm. Insecure as all hell? Blatantly.

I have no idea why you would be so willing to show your fragility when they showed 3 races in the character customization.

Imagine being this defensive simply because being a white male wasn't explicitly shown as being an option despite a white female being shown.
The irony of this cannot be overstated. You should've just read the post above your own. And you wouldn't have made a complete fool of yourself.
But I expect no less, virtue signal on how everyone else are bigots, racists, insecure, manbabies, or whatever, then you pat each other on the back on how you are better. I know virtue signaling when I see it.
And I bet you call other people snowflakes.
Yes there is a lot of betting going on. When people "bet" on other people's stance on things it is called strawmanning. You are not actually attacking me, but your own projection.
And I laugh, because as I've mentioned calling someone something bad only hurts if there is truth to it.

Actually my outburst is not aimed exclusively at this game, this was merely the last straw. After a long string of diversity in games. Diversity that just ruined my favorite game franchise: XCOM. And you will say somehing like "only a racist would say that" or "how can diversity ruin a game" Well it can't directly, there were plenty of diverse games out there as far back as one can remember. What ruins games is when writers use the characters in games as megaphones for their own political agenda and prejudices. Not concerned with making a good character or an enjoyable experience. Many of them will openly admit that they have an agenda.

Seeing the game play footage has me sold. I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Stop with the politics. There are plenty of more appropriate venues for that.

The irony of this cannot be overstated. You should've just read the post above your own. And you wouldn't have made a complete fool of yourself.
But I expect no less, virtue signal on how everyone else are bigots, racists, insecure, manbabies, or whatever, then you pat each other on the back on how you are better. I know virtue signaling when I see it.

Yes there is a lot of betting going on. When people "bet" on other people's stance on things it is called strawmanning. You are not actually attacking me, but your own projection.
And I laugh, because as I've mentioned calling someone something bad only hurts if there is truth to it.

Actually my outburst is not aimed exclusively at this game, this was merely the last straw. After a long string of diversity in games. Diversity that just ruined my favorite game franchise: XCOM. And you will say somehing like "only a racist would say that" or "how can diversity ruin a game" Well it can't directly, there were plenty of diverse games out there as far back as one can remember. What ruins games is when writers use the characters in games as megaphones for their own political agenda and prejudices. Not concerned with making a good character or an enjoyable experience. Many of them will openly admit that they have an agenda.

You're apparently unaware of the politics that have been in games, comics, music, movies, books, theater, etc since their inception. Now, I'm not calling you stupid, but it seems odd to me that you'd only be picking up on this like it's a recent trend.

You play a white male in life and have played a white male in games your whole damn life as well. How do you simply not understand that hey, maybe POC want to see themselves reflected in a game where they can be a hero, for once? Or any LGBTQ, for that matter?

Yes, it's absolutely the companies expanding for diversity to make more money via more appeal but it's also something that should have been done a long time ago. Opening up a more direct line for people to experience a game, in this instance, as themselves should be welcomed.

I know virtue signaling is an empty buzzword that people cling on to with a death grip but seriously consider why you burst out like this in the first place: they didn't show a white male option in a 5 second character customization screen. You immediately ran to the hills, decrying the game and the agenda, declaring they won't get your money.

I hope you're as embarrassed by that as I am for you.

Storytelling has become secondary even tertiary in games / movies these days, that's what I have a problem with.

have you seen Oblivion (Tom Cruise / Morgan Freeman)? Really good story line, good acting ... excellent special effects.

So this is going to be MP garbage with pay to advance BS??

grrr.... why can't they just make compelling single player experience OR even a MP Co-op mode. Why does it always need to be PvP. We need a SW version of L4D.

So this is going to be MP garbage with pay to advance BS??

grrr.... why can't they just make compelling single player experience OR even a MP Co-op mode. Why does it always need to be PvP. We need a SW version of L4D.

It does have single player but EA isn’t exactly known for amazing campaigns. I’d wait and see.

It does have single player but EA isn’t exactly known for amazing campaigns. I’d wait and see.

it sounds like the SP is just for you to get familiar with all the ships and then you are abruptly forced into MP

Back