Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

Ah nice this answers a lot of the questions people have been asking me:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13340-Hornet-FAQ
Greetings Citizens,
The Hornet promotion is in full swing! As a result, there’s a high volume of support tickets being sent to the Customer Support department. We’re working as hard as we can to get through them. In the meantime, we’ve put together a quick FAQ that answers some of the more common questions users have about Hornets.

Do you have a Hornet question not answered here? Post it below!

Why can’t I see my Hornet upgrade in the Hangar Module?
The current version of the Hangar Module does not support the upgrade packs. This functionality will be added in an upcoming patch. Until that is applied, you will only see your base F7C Hornet in your Hangar.

My Hornet isn’t an upgrade but still isn’t showing up in my Hangar.
Some users have more ships than the Hangar Module is configured to display! You can increase the number by using a text editor to change the game.cfg file located in \CitizenClient\Data and increasing “hangar_maxships = 15” to a higher number. Remember, the more objects displayed in your Hangar at once, the more horsepower the program will need to run.

Is the Arclight pistol available without the Weekend Warrior package?
No, the pistol is currently only available as an extra reward with the Super Hornet Weekend Warrior package. It is not included with any physical packages. The pistol will be available for purchase using UEC in Star Citizen’s persistent world.

Can I install stealth upgrades on the Super Hornet?
Yes! The variants are designed to show how individual upgrades can be applied to ship hulls. In the finished game, you will have access to countless upgrades which you can mix and match yourself. Upgrades to increase stealth, like the Ghost’s Void Armor, can be applied to different models of ships. Note that they may not be as effective, unless you also reduce other stealth-related factors like engine output.

When does the Hornet sale end?
The initial Super Hornet sale will end Monday, November 4th at noon PST. The Ghost and Tracker variants will remain available permanently.

Can I upgrade to a new Hornet variant while keeping my physical Colonel package?
Yes! Purchase one of the “Upgrade” options to change the Hornet included in the package without affecting your extras. Note that models purchased in this fashion will not yet appear in your Hangar.

Do I need to man the second seat in the Super Hornet to enjoy it?
No! The second seat is an optional position which can be configured for a number of different roles (including weapons officer, squadron commander and prisoner!) When not in use, ship operations can be handled entirely by the pilot.

Can I purchase more than one upgrade pack and storehouse the extra parts?
No, only one upgrade pack can be applied per ship. This will happen before the game launches.

Does the upgrade pack impact the insurance on my ship?
No, your ship will retain its original insurance (whether that is lifetime or limited.) Future ship upgrade packs offered after November 26th will offer this same functionality (for those wanting to upgrade a base Freelancer or Constellation that has LTI.)

The thing holding me back from melting my bounty hunter package for a Hornet is the lack of an interior/long range flying.

Seems the 325a is best for that kind of "live in your ship" style of long range fling and fighting when you need to.

I don't know the super hornet might be pretty decent for it as well. . . and if it isn't hold you tongue don't need to have more reasons to buy even more ships :D

Indeed, buying more ships is always the best option :D

P.S: People please keep lobbying customer support requesting to have the LTI deadline extended. So far they have told me they'd pass along the request up the chain of command so if enough of us get heard it might make a difference.

Last edited:
The thing holding me back from melting my bounty hunter package for a Hornet is the lack of an interior/long range flying.

Seems the 325a is best for that kind of "live in your ship" style of long range fling and fighting when you need to.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I do think the beds in ships will play a role, if they don't then it would be a bit stupid.

I do want a good dedicated fighter... but I already have an M50, so probably not worth melting my 325A for a Hornet.

Why is LTI such a big thing and why does it need extending?

Basically with LTI you can get a ship and not worry ever about "losing" it permanently.

If you don't have LTI on your ship you can still get insurance in-game (at a cost of in-game currency, etc).

LTI is just basically a hassle free easy solution for people to hav ea ship and never have to worry about losing it or having to pay in game currency on that ship.

Why is LTI such a big thing and why does it need extending?

but honestly its not a big deal if you don't have it. since its most likely going to be very inexpensive.

the only ship it matters on is the scythe. since you can't get insurance on it in game.

Sorry, I'm an original backer so all my ships have LTI but don't understand any reasoning for it being extended, it'd purely create a lot more problems then it supposedly solves, if it solves anything.

I'm hoping it gets cut off on the 26th November with no extension, the only question mark that some people had was what happens if the variants for the Freelancer and Constellation came out after the 26th, would those variants not come with LTI, the answer being that if you have an LTI Constellation and you buy an upgrade to a Constellation variant, you'll have an upgraded Constellation with LTI.

I too hope LTI is just cut off. I mean, for me as a new backer, I went through the small hassle just for the sake of future convenience, but it's really kinda silly if you think about it.

IMO, they should either (a) get rid of LTI entirely or (b) give it to every backer up through release. If it's such a small expense, the point of insurance certainly can't be to drain money from the economy, so what would it hurt? Then when the game's released, new players can't actually buy ships anyway -- so getting LTI with your ship purchase / donation becomes irrelevant.

OB/VBs still keep the discounted base packages, as well as the funding goal bonusus. And there's so many people offering to do LTI swaps that I can't imagine there would be much community outrage over just opening it to all backers.

EDIT: And I came to a realization yesterday, and now it makes sense to me. People seem to think that having LTI on the stock loadouts on ships like the 325A is going to be important. We'll be upgraded past the stock loadouts in a few weeks anyway, and I'm sure we'll all separately insure our upgrades, so you may as well just get the 300i package. I guess I could see the special/limited ships with hull changes maybe, but the difference between the base hornet and hornet variant packages starts at $30 for OBs/VBs (cheaper with just the upgrade). Just keep the $30 unless you want to contribute more toward the game, the ship won't matter soon enough.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm an original backer so all my ships have LTI but don't understand any reasoning for it being extended, it'd purely create a lot more problems then it supposedly solves, if it solves anything.
Thanks for sharing but I don't understand what does the LTI status of your ships or your backer status have to do with all of this. Did you think having those things and showing off about them made your opinion carry more weight?
I'm hoping it gets cut off on the 26th November with no extension,
Good thing you are not in charge :)
the only question mark that some people had was what happens if the variants for the Freelancer and Constellation came out after the 26th, would those variants not come with LTI, the answer being that if you have an LTI Constellation and you buy an upgrade to a Constellation variant, you'll have an upgraded Constellation with LTI.
If that satisfies you, good for you. I personally don't want to be locked into an upgrade path. I want to buy a full game package (like the equivalent of the Weekend Warrior with exclusive items but for the Constellation). A package like that will not have LTI after the deadline. I also want to be able to offer it to new backer that I will bring into the game, it gets more money to CIG and a better value to those new backers. It also benefits existing backers since with each person I am able to recruit by using LTI as a hook we ALL inch closer to the game's stretch goals.

I don't like to brag but I've personally brought in more than $35k to the game by recruiting brand new pledges and upgrades from existing pledges. The great majority of them would not have pledged as much, or at all, had LTI not been available.

Last edited:
I think ending lti won't be beneficial to either the backers or cig. so i don't have an issue with them extending it. i don't get why there is such controversy around extending it.

Oh snap
http://youtu.be/rMsPbJ9buCI
J1uFyDB.jpg

Reminds me of the Psi Corps Black Omega Star Furies

eafury-c_lg1.jpg

EA_Thunderbolt-CC-MAX.jpg

Yeah, I hate to admit it but I've hyped up the LTI thing with some of my friends to get them off their asses even though I don't think it's that big a deal practically. They are horribly lazy about stuff like this. They have the money they just don't get interested in anything unless it's a right now kind of purchase. Everyone is busy with work and family and stuff and since they can't just buy the game and play right now, the incentive of the LTI deadline has got most of them to buy in at least a bit and now they are all bent out of shape because they didn't get the stretch goals so they are buying limited stuff and doing whatever they can to get stuff now.:p

I think ending lti won't be beneficial to either the backers or cig. so i don't have an issue with them extending it. i don't get why there is such controversy around extending it.

If they extend it, they prove they are just money grabbing. LTI is supposed to be a reward for early backing, not a never ending carrot on a stick.

If they extend it, they prove they are just money grabbing. LTI is supposed to be a reward for early backing, not a never ending carrot on a stick.

Or proving that they are listening to their backers who are wanting it extended. . . I for one would like to see it extended at least till the get all their variants out and tbh it would be nice to be able to fly the ships in dogfighting and still have the option of pledging and getting LTI at that time. Just my opinion but let LTI run until they get the PU beta going and then cut it off.

can they leave it open for original backers?

What do you have against VB? :D

How is it a money grab when tons of people want them to extend lti? and even if it is, who in hell doesn't want them to rake in the green stuff?

can they leave it open for original backers?

ya what's wrong with VB's? what are we, second citizens?

Last edited:
LTI should just die in a fire and get rid of it lol. and they should just give OB's 50k credits, VB 25k and new backers 0 and be done with it haha.

although that would start an uproar.

best thing i think is to just let it end, and if they dont get freelancer and connie variants out in time then they offer the variants with lti for a limited time 1 week after they come out. (to everyone not just ob's/vb's)

Or proving that they are listening to their backers who are wanting it extended. . . I for one would like to see it extended at least till the get all their variants out and tbh it would be nice to be able to fly the ships in dogfighting and still have the option of pledging and getting LTI at that time. Just my opinion but let LTI run until they get the PU beta going and then cut it off.

*Some* backers want it extended, it surely isn't everyone. If they are going to put hard dates on things, then slip on those dates, they are creating another series of problems.

And let us keep in mind no one even knows how much LTI is going to matter. With a unknown economy and insurance costs, LTI can be anywhere from crazy unbalanced to complete worthless.

*Some* backers want it extended, it surely isn't everyone. If they are going to put hard dates on things, then slip on those dates, they are creating another series of problems.

And let us keep in mind no one even knows how much LTI is going to matter. With a unknown economy and insurance costs, LTI can be anywhere from crazy unbalanced to complete worthless.

its leaning to almost worthless, you can buy insurance for months at a time, so you will have month of play time to earn what ever it might cost for insurance by the time it needs another payment. even if you don't play hardly at all i think youll have scraped together enough to buy another month or year what ever plan you choose. and i can only imagien insurance would be cheaper if you buy it in buy like say a year instead of every month.

i really think paying for it will be trivial. its not like there is a fee every time your ship blows up.

Series of problems??

its leaning to almost worthless, you can buy insurance for months at a time, so you will have month of play time to earn what ever it might cost for insurance by the time it needs another payment. even if you don't play hardly at all i think youll have scraped together enough to buy another month or year what ever plan you choose. and i can only imagien insurance would be cheaper if you buy it in buy like say a year instead of every month.

i really think paying for it will be trivial. its not like there is a fee every time your ship blows up.

That is how it was on EVE. You would insure your ship and get back a percentage for the base package as lump sum cash when you lost it, but the insurance will also go away on that ship. It was good since you could use the cash to buy something else, instead of the same exact thing, but you had to re insure the ship and pay for the insurance, everytime you lost it and if you were playing with expensive ships the cost did add up, it also affected your in game decisions. You did not go in a system, or engaged an unknown opponent because there were no ships you could buy in nearby systems or even places you could insure the ship. You could technically die, save your capsule, travel a couple star systems, find the ship that you are looking for, either not have the funds to insure it, or forget it, or the station with the insurance module, so you would be flying this thing, back to safety looking for a place to insure it, get ganked on a system gate and lose the ship with 0 insurance.

So yeah, insurance can be a massive deal depending on how it is implemented.

Series of problems??

I am really confused by this as well. . . If they throw up a poll and say 60% say to extend LTI what are the problems that this is going to cause? For something that is so "meaningless" in game since insurance is likely to be extremely cheap anyways why not leave it going if enough people ask since that is just a tiny perk but makes a bunch of people happy(If in fact the majority agree)?

yeah but we already know its not like Eve.

non lti ships right now have 6 months of insurance on them, if your ship blows up day 1, you get a new one back and still have 6 months of insurance.

your insurance lasts as long as you paid for it to be insured.

the only thing that can void insurance, is insurance fraud.

Oh snap
http://youtu.be/rMsPbJ9buCI
[IM G]http://i.imgur.com/J1uFyDB.jpg[/IMG]

Reminds me of the Psi Corps Black Omega Star Furies

[I MG]http://www.isnnews.net/hyperspace/ea/eafury-c_lg1.jpg[/IMG]

[im g]http://www.ciihr.org/IW_Databank/collecting/objets3D/catalogue/Babylon%205/Earth%20Alliance/EA_Thunderbolt-CC-MAX.jpg[/img]

That is one smexy Hornet

That black Hornet is insanely nice. And yes, it does remind me of the Star Furies. Plus, Babylon 5 is fucking amazing.

yeah but we already know its not like Eve.

non lti ships right now have 6 months of insurance on them, if your ship blows up day 1, you get a new one back and still have 6 months of insurance.

your insurance lasts as long as you paid for it to be insured.

the only thing that can void insurance, is insurance fraud.

You are correct, but if you have played games with big multiplayer components, which went above and beyond the single player campaign, you would know that things change all the time in a game. Insurance system is not like EvE in this game in its current state. It can however transform to that just with the a patch or two within a year, or it may never change to that. You could start the game with LTI being no big deal, a year down the line, LTI could be an amazing benefit and a couple years later due to economy or patches or balance changes, they can become things that don't matter again. All I am saying is, usually in a dynamically changing universe, owning static things that cannot be taken away from you are usually a good thing.

You may say enough with the EvE examples, this game is not EvE and yes, I apologize for that, I just played that game for a very long time and I keep on drawing parallels to it. anyways, in that game Ships are labeled Tech I or Tech II, Tech II ships are much better, much more expensive and much harder to build. They are only built by players and usually not seeded in to the markets. To build a Tech II ship you need a blueprint copy of that ship which will go away during the manufacturing process. This blueprint copy is made from a blueprint original which never goes away just like LTI in star citizen. When they first introduced the Tech II blue print originals, they just did a drawing and randomly gifted these blueprints to players, thinking it will not be a big deal and they will just get traded and balance out in the market. In reality, within a year, these blueprint originals became the most expensive things in the EvE universe, so expensive that usually alliances with hundreds maybe thousands of players would have the strength to buy one from an original owner. to put it in a perspective, at one point a ship which would cost 100mil to manufacture would have a blue print original of 20billion.

Long unnecessary example, but I think it strengthens the point that there is a good chance that having a ship with life time insurance is going to be profitable in certain timeframes of the economy.

I am really confused by this as well. . . If they throw up a poll and say 60% say to extend LTI what are the problems that this is going to cause? For something that is so "meaningless" in game since insurance is likely to be extremely cheap anyways why not leave it going if enough people ask since that is just a tiny perk but makes a bunch of people happy(If in fact the majority agree)?

Then they are pissing off 40% of their customers by going against their own dates. If it is a tiny perk, they should put it to bed instead of dragging it out past when they said they would.

Last edited:
Then they are pissing off 40% of their customers by going against their own dates. If it is a tiny perk, they should put it to bed instead of dragging it out past when they said they would.

Why should extending it piss anyone off if 60% of their backers ask for it. . .? This is like the mall saying that for Christmas Eve they are going to stay open till midnight because enough customers asked for it. You already did you shopping so you don't want it to be but wtf does it matter if it is? Just don't use it.

Like I stated before I think it should be extended until the PU beta that way we have plenty of time to try out ships in the dog fighting and it gives them more time to complete all the variants.

Why should extending it piss anyone off if 60% of their backers ask for it. . .? This is like the mall saying that for Christmas Eve they are going to stay open till midnight because enough customers asked for it. You already did you shopping so you don't want it to be but wtf does it matter if it is? Just don't use it.

Like I stated before I think it should be extended until the PU beta that way we have plenty of time to try out ships in the dog fighting and it gives them more time to complete all the variants.

If they put up a poll that said "Do you want the Idris to be available for $25 on Christmas?" you would have the huge majority of people clicking OMG YES on the poll. That doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. 90% of the backers asked for it, it must be the correct thing to do, right?!?

If they put up a poll that said "Do you want the Idris to be available for $25 on Christmas?" you would have the huge majority of people clicking OMG YES on the poll. That doesn't mean it is the right thing to do. 90% of the backers asked for it, it must be the correct thing to do, right?!?

Apple say hi to Orange.

Please explain why you would be upset for LTI to be extended? Simply because you are not going to spend anymore on this game?

Apple say hi to Orange.

Please explain why you would be upset for LTI to be extended? Simply because you are not going to spend anymore on this game?

Because people have been spending money early with an expectation they were getting something special (LTI), and if that something special never ends, it is no longer special.

Because people have been spending money early with an expectation they were getting something special (LTI), and if that something special never ends, it is no longer special.

You have noticed that LTI is not available to new backers purchasing straight pledges on the store...right? Within my knowledge the only way presently to get LTI is via Lorien or someone with similar privledges. It seems to me you're griping over milk that isn't really spilt.

You are assuming that it will never end. . . People like me are simply wanting it extended so we can have the option of getting it once they finally get around to providing us with more content. Are you seriously so excited about having LTI being "special" that a few more months would make you pissed about it? For such a small thing you are apparently taking it quite personally as well.

What do you have against VB? :D

How is it a money grab when tons of people want them to extend lti? and even if it is, who in hell doesn't want them to rake in the green stuff?

ya what's wrong with VB's? what are we, second citizens?

you're late to the game :D

Now that I have LTI, I think it should end right at this moment. The longer it goes, the less it will worth :p

Back