Star Citizen - media blowout, Chris Robert's new game

For me, it was flying any of my ships. However, the bandage fix still works great.

*edit*: Glad to see they are working on it.

Played the racing a bit tonight, I'm probably late to the party but it's good to see some progress on the game and the racing is fun.

But my goodness are the default controls buggered. I'm using a 360 controller and the non-linear profile they used for the thumbstick mapping is crazy. I'm using this for mine:

Code:
<ActionMaps ignoreVersion="1" >
	<options type="xboxpad" instance="1">
		<pilot sensitivity_cvar="v_gamepadSensitivity" exponent_cvar="v_gamepadNonLinearity">
			<nonlinearity_curve>
				<point in="0.1"  out="0.05"/>
				<point in="0.2"  out="0.1"/>
				<point in="0.3"  out="0.15"/>
				<point in="0.4"  out="0.2"/>
				<point in="0.5"  out="0.25"/>
				<point in="0.6"  out="0.35"/>
				<point in="0.7"  out="0.45"/>
				<point in="0.8"  out="0.6"/>
				<point in="0.9"  out="0.75"/>
            </nonlinearity_curve>
		</pilot>
	</options>
</ActionMaps>

I could probably smooth it out a bit, but it's not quite linear, gives a bit more control at low thumbstick movements compared to the default which gave you almost no input at low movement and then all of a sudden heaps of input.

It gives you enough control to slot through the gates much easier.

Though I'm still finding the hardest part of racing is slotting through the long narrow start/finish gate, I crash in to the side far too often :D

Last edited:
Getting a bit better at racing... I do feel like racing is just going to come down to who has the balls to get close to the buildings and push the limits of extreme angles through gates and whatnot. The M50 gets up to speed so fast the "racing line" for it is basically just the shortest path you can find without crashing, the only reason to take a wider line... I haven't actually found one yet :D it seems g-forces are worse if you do a long sweeper vs taking a shortcut followed by a sudden change in direction.

If you are finding that linear profile not working as well, there is another xml here that might work better.

Getting a bit better at racing... I do feel like racing is just going to come down to who has the balls to get close to the buildings and push the limits of extreme angles through gates and whatnot. The M50 gets up to speed so fast the "racing line" for it is basically just the shortest path you can find without crashing, the only reason to take a wider line... I haven't actually found one yet :D it seems g-forces are worse if you do a long sweeper vs taking a shortcut followed by a sudden change in direction.

well as in real life it is easier to with stand a higher brief G load than a longer duration lower G load.

so if you grunt hard enough you can keep the blood in your brain for that quick burst of a turn. rather than trying to sustain the load for a longer period.

which is why the 350r has more black outs/ red outs, its weight keeps it in longer wider turns than the m50 so the G's are on the pilot longer.

If you are finding that linear profile not working as well, there is another xml here that might work better.

I think that xml is actually linear (0 = 0, 0.5 = 0.5, 1 = 1). I'm preferring my profile at the moment, which is linear from 0 = 0 to 0.5 = 0.25 then ramps up to 1 = 1.

It seems the profile that CIG implemented was some crazy function which behaved like a massive deadzone, almost no input until you move the stick about half way then bam, heaps of input.

It does seem odd to me when people say that hard controls = realistic. They're space ships, they should only be as hard to pilot as the computer makes it, it's not like a real plane where control inputs = control surface movement so there's a level of abstraction between what you do and what the aircraft does. For a space ship if you make the flight computer smart enough the space ship can fly as easily or as hard as you want.

Is there still a way to try ships you don't own? I have the M50 and 325A, I'd like to try the 350R.

I was actually a bit disappointed with the M50, yeah, it's faster than the 325A, but with it's low weight and high thrust I was expecting something a little more crazy. It feels a bit tame for my likings.

Man I love the new decoupled strafe.

With my TackIR and the strafe (lateral, longitudinal, and vertical) all mapped to an Axis, it makes for some fun floating through the asteroids sideways and what not lol. There is a little indicator showing your direction of travel so you can slowly point in between the asteroids, similar to a AOA indicator on ancraft. I really love having this much control over it. I'm thinking of getting a Left handed joystick just for full decoupled mode so I can have better control compared to my little finger stick on my throttle. I should have grabbed that damned T16000m from Microcenter for $30 even though I hate that place

I'm not sure why they made strafe in normal coupled mode suck, it seems that it's either at 100% or off so mapping it to an axis makes no difference unless i'm missing a hidden setting.

Last edited:
I was reading through the Flight Model and Input Controls thing that CIG put out, noticed this....

" First, pure yawing turns, without any bank, are certainly possible in space, but that isn&#8217;t the optimal way to turn. You can generate more thrust by combining your side and lower thrusters than you can with just your side thrusters."

That's actually not true unless the lower thrusters are much larger than the side thrusters (in which case I'd argue it's bad design for a space ship). If the side thrusters and lower thrusters are fixed and equal thrust, any thrust you gain from the lower thrusters when banking will be lost from the side thrusters. If the thrusters are gimballed, then in pure yaw you can combine the side thrusters, lower thrusters and upper thrusters and any banking will be the same problem, any thrust gained from the lower thrusters will be lost from the upper thrusters.

lol, I got to wave 10 with my M50, took me an hour haha, those fixed M3A's are a bitch. That damned M50 just seems to float around to much. I feel like my 350R just wips around a bit faster, any time I would try to keep on the tail of a Vanduul all it had to do was make a turn and by the time I was turned around I was floating backwards and he would be 1500m or so away in a blink. However the Vanduul couldn't hit me for shit, Given the size of the M50 that's to be expected though.

I'm not sure what to think about the new aim system at the moment. I do kind of like the fact it's hard to hit the targets. I always thought the old system was just a bit to easy for the mouse anyhow. I usually end up burning away from the fight and then doing a long range hits though.

Even with the new TrackIR support trying to use it to aim while dog fighting is a bit hard, the speed of the maneuvering is a just to fast. I made a mapped button on my joystick to force the aim point to stick dead center so I could still looking around without moving my gimbaled weapons. I guess it just makes them all fixed in the end though.

Is it me or that the game now does not support limiting frame rates? I am getting unknown command error with sys_maxfps command

Consoles been restricted, there is a fix to re-enable the full console or you can add the line to limit your frames to a "game.cfg" you can create.

Is it me or that the game now does not support limiting frame rates? I am getting unknown command error with sys_maxfps command

C:\Users\**username**\Documents\StarCitizen\CitizenClient

if you do not have a game.cfg

you can make a copy of the system.cfg in that folder and delete the contents inside the copy.

you can then put what ever console commands you want in the game.cfg

r_motionblur = 0
r_vsync = 0

is what i have in mine, the difference between the console and the file is you need to use the = symbol between the command and the number for it to work properly

Im happy now, was able to get a gold key

So I am awaiting on my Star Citizen Key through AMD, YAY! :)

Oh and the waiting game for Alien Isolation key as well, sigh.

Last edited:
C:\Users\**username**\Documents\StarCitizen\CitizenClient

if you do not have a game.cfg

you can make a copy of the system.cfg in that folder and delete the contents inside the copy.

you can then put what ever console commands you want in the game.cfg

r_motionblur = 0
r_vsync = 0

is what i have in mine, the difference between the console and the file is you need to use the = symbol between the command and the number for it to work properly
You installed the game in your Documents folder or are you supposed to make those folders there manually?

I personally use user.cfg config (in D:\StarCitizen\CitizenClient i.e. install location).

I hope that they fix the game pad soon since I can't be arsed to mess with it right now. I have to say that mouse seems to be almost overpowered when flying Hornet. I think they should consider lowering the turret movement so that the mouse movement would be more restricted.

Last edited:
I haven't played since the hanger was released, but is the sli issues fixed yet?

Nope, if you wanna use SLI you'll need to create a user.cfg in the CitizenClient folder so can add in the command lines for disabling vsync and limiting your max frames to something around 30 (you can work your way up until it starts to artifact).

You installed the game in your Documents folder or are you supposed to make those folders there manually?

I personally use user.cfg config (in D:\StarCitizen\CitizenClient i.e. install location).

I hope that they fix the game pad soon since I can't be arsed to mess with it right now. I have to say that mouse seems to be almost overpowered when flying Hornet. I think they should consider lowering the turret movement so that the mouse movement would be more restricted.

i just let it install it manually i did not choose a path, so that is the default location.

but you do not make the folders you just put it in your main Citizenclient folder in the main install

sweet, LTI is back for the concept sales. I may actually get a 890 now lol

better dig deep since it is the size of the old idris.

curious what price that beast is going to be.

600? 800?

i likely wont get one.

i might pick up the herald or something but have a feeling i am going to stick with a phoenix and retaliator.

not really sure any of the others fit what i want to do early on which is mostly combat oriented so it seems like the phoenix and tali will have that covered for me.

i do not have much expectation that the 890 will be very good at combat, i think it is the size of the old idris but likely not as deadly either. so it should still be cheaper.

if the 890 turns our to be a "phoenix" luxury craft that is also gangsta when it comes to combat i may change my mind on the 890 tho if the price is right. but i wont have spare money for a few weeks yet so getting one as a concept sale will likely not happen if that is next weeks sale.

hoping next week is the carrack tho so i have a little while longer to get some spare money together if the 890 does turn out to be killer.

LTI is not a deciding factor for me, but being cheaper with the initial release is a bonus.

Cringe worthy can't even begin to describe that lol. The sad thing is you can clearly tell that the normal voices of the nerds doing the narrating and voice overs are not far from the exaggerated/fake ones.

better dig deep since it is the size of the old idris.

curious what price that beast is going to be.

600? 800?

i likely wont get one.

i might pick up the herald or something but have a feeling i am going to stick with a phoenix and retaliator.

not really sure any of the others fit what i want to do early on which is mostly combat oriented so it seems like the phoenix and tali will have that covered for me.

i do not have much expectation that the 890 will be very good at combat, i think it is the size of the old idris but likely not as deadly either. so it should still be cheaper.

if the 890 turns our to be a "phoenix" luxury craft that is also gangsta when it comes to combat i may change my mind on the 890 tho if the price is right. but i wont have spare money for a few weeks yet so getting one as a concept sale will likely not happen if that is next weeks sale.

hoping next week is the carrack tho so i have a little while longer to get some spare money together if the 890 does turn out to be killer.

LTI is not a deciding factor for me, but being cheaper with the initial release is a bonus.

I would bite at $700 but only at the ability to upgrade my connie package, other than that it would be a no go. I like to think I have some will power to resist haha.

Yeah I'm going to take a stab and say it's going to be ~$1000 or up in limited hulls like the Idirs and scythe. They may go way higher in price though, I know I would. I'd make it a $2000+ ship and let the big whales buy them since it's a luxury ship and probably useless outside of just being fucking sweet.

Outside of a cheap ship like a Mustang or Aurora, I'm not going to put real money down for a ship unless it has LTI, that's just me though.

At the moment, I'd like to see the Hull-c, Carrcak, and the Herald. as long as the Carrack is bad ass looking I'll be grabbing it. The Hull-C is a monster and Imagine it's going to be very pricey.

Honestly I would like to see what they are doing with the Caterpillar, Retaliator, and Starfarer before doing these sales so I can decide what I want to get rid of :)

Means my Avenger, M50 and Freelancer are the only ships without LTI. Melt those ships and get a concept ship with LTI and don't pay insurance :p

EDIT: Wonder if the Mustang Omega will get LTI since in a sense we bought into it during concept?

Last edited:
Means my Avenger, M50 and Freelancer are the only ships without LTI. Melt those ships and get a concept ship with LTI and don't pay insurance :p

EDIT: Wonder if the Mustang Omega will get LTI since in a sense we bought into it during concept?

Wondering this as well.

Guess this means my Aurora package with LTI won't be worth anything anymore? :p Never got around to it but I was looking at selling it and buying a non-LTI Origin 300 or Avenger package.

Regardless, which is better for dog fighting? The base model Origin 300 or Avenger?

Hard to say it this point, so much can change and we don't have a Avenger in the DFM yet. However my guess would be that in the end the Avenger will be better since it was more of fighting ship.

hmm so i went from only have 1 scout and m50 with lti to, 2 scouts, gladius, and m50 with lti.

now i need to decide on cross chassis upgrade paths to take advantage of it.

If mustangs have lti also and you can upgrade the ships in the AMD packages that would be interesting.

only thing that sucks is the wait. id rather they just let us put shit in our hangars and not have to wait on cross chassis availability.

but i guess the wait could be a good thing it will let us see most of the new concept ships before i can cross chassis a scout into a connie or retaliator so i can make a final decision on how to set up my hangar.

also picked up a 325a--350r upgrade with store credit in case they let us cross chassis from a amd mustang into a 300i, (if the mustang has lti that would be neat) if not i can just turn the upgrade back into credits.

You can call me a Grand Admiral now, I'm going to go and lay down in my bed and cry a little bit... :(

Back