standard front panel connector, how hard could it be?

kraemer007

Weaksauce
MxLel.jpg

Yes, this is a nitpick but I am REALLY tired of sliding the little front panel connectors on the little pins. I'm also really tired of having them slide off at the slightest provocation. Couldn't the mobo manufacturers just standardize on a USB type header with a polarized connector like this?

bl1tP.jpg

I just cant get over the fact that we've gotten every cool new thing imaginable added to our motherboards over the years, yet the godd*mn front panel connector hasn't changed since 1988. WTF!!!!!!!!!!

So next time your at CEBIT or Computex and some vendor brags about their board, could you remind them that 1988 called, and it wants its front panel header back.....

they probably made a bunch of them in 1988 and have been trying to use them up ever since..

Amen.

I hate busting out the fucking manual to figure out where to put these assholes. Manufacturers solution? Give us a TINY PEICE OF PLASTIC TO PLUG THEM ALL INTO!

Well, as someone who doesn't like any extra lights on my computer and never uses the (hardware) reset switch, I appreciate being able to connect nothing but the power switch. But, I certainly understand your frustration and I could manage fine if there was a standard connector. I'd just cut the wires I don't want.

Like Drexl said, I like being able to only plug in the power switch and none of the leds or reset switch. Never really though of it as that big of a deal :\

Yeah... most of the time, the mobo will have a silkscreen to help. Not always on mITX mobos, but mATX and ATX+ should be fine.

It sounds funny but this is one reason I love ASUS boards, they've supplied a handy dongle for this for years.

I just cant get over the fact that we've gotten every cool new thing imaginable added to our motherboards over the years, yet the godd*mn front panel connector hasn't changed since 1988. WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Though I agree with you, reinventing this and making it even easier, would also eliminate one of the most difficult tasks in computer assembly. Fitting the front connectors is the time when I feel the most savvy in the whole process, It allows for a shroud of "oh I can do what normal people can´t" over my entire being, very satisfying.

The down side of simplifying the front connectors and pins and coming up with a new unified standard, is that it is going to open up a can of noobs, that will suddenly and relentlessly ignorantly flood OUR territory. Think about it, no longer will you be able to go to friends of friends places and fix their HDD LED or even their reset switch, no longer will the girls from campus think you own the dark knowledge that somehow and inexplicably makes computers work, which might allow for other beneficial conclusions being made on their part.

In my opinion manufacturers need to make components much more complex, strip all written indications and guides, make them more illogical and difficult to fit, like they used to be. I suggest they start by splitting the front panel connectors up into even more parts, maybe even make soldering and multi metering a requirement?

There are some advantages of the separate plugs though for me personally anyways. I for instance often do not want everything connected, to keep the room darker at night. Hopefully they could integrate controls for this in the bios, especially dimming for the LEDs.

Granted installing these and the stock intel heatsinks are really the most difficult (only difficult) facets of most PC builds.

There are some advantages of the separate plugs though for me personally anyways. I for instance often do not want everything connected, to keep the room darker at night. Hopefully they could integrate controls for this in the bios, especially dimming for the LEDs.

Granted installing these and the stock intel heatsinks are really the most difficult (only difficult) facets of most PC builds.

All they have to do is integrate an 8 or 10 dip switch into the cable so you can selectively turn things off or on

Really, the language was self censored and a mod bothered to go censor it even more??? Is this a site for children now?

All they have to do is integrate an 8 or 10 dip switch into the cable so you can selectively turn things off or on

For a part that would cost 10c, it would somehow make all the case manuf. go beserk and charge some 10usd extra, lol...

Well, why they need to charge it if it is working fine, is not like they can make huge money out of this anyway. But if you tell them that people will pay double if you charge the design they will do it seriously.

each board is different and that is why the cables are they way they are. Not that hard as the white side is usually ground and the colored side is +. How hard could it be to connect them right?

each board is different and that is why the cables are they way they are. Not that hard as the white side is usually ground and the colored side is +. How hard could it be to connect them right?
Well why don't we go ahead and have the SATA connectors like that? I mean how hard could it be, right?

Considering the layout on the motherboard is almost always the same, it's really up to case manufacturers to make the front panel header connector one piece rather than individuals. Companies like Gigabyte could lead by example since they make both motherboards and cases.

Well why don't we go ahead and have the SATA connectors like that? I mean how hard could it be, right?

Yeah cause intelligence is required to properly read the diagram ooops I mean PICTURE that shows you how to connect the pins as outlined in the MB owner's manual..........and we wonder why society in general leaves a lot to be desired... you want a board with a one peice connector, buy a Dell and call it a day.

Not all cases come with reset switches or speakers or sleep indicators and this is why MB connectors are NOT standardized in this area. This allows for maximum flexibility....

btw SATA is a set standard with a set plug spec..........just in case you didn't know........

Amen.

Give us a TINY PEICE OF PLASTIC TO PLUG THEM ALL INTO!

My asus p8p67 deluxe has a plug that they all plug into, then you slide that one plug into the board. It's nice! When I saw it I thought to myself "man, I wish all of my previous boards had this!

Back