STALKER: Lost Alpha

Yes, im thinking some time in the next 6 months.

I noticed this mod about a year or two ago and have been eagerly awaiting its arrival ever since.

Next to STALKER 2,this is the one I'm really waiting for,from the new video they put out it looks like they're doing an incredible job on it.

God they still have shitty weapon models and terrible textures on them. I wish they'd fix them already. Other than that it looks pretty good. Though the environment was always something they did well in the series. They also need to enable anti-aliasing badly in the video. Good god that looks nasty in spots.

Cheeki Breeki!

That is good news Stalkers! I'll drink to that!

Man there are so many good mods for this game. I dont know if ill ever have time to try them all out.

I'll definitely play this when its released. Metro Last Light has me hungering for more Russian/Ukranian radioactive gaming. :D

I'll definitely play this when its released. Metro Last Light has me hungering for more Russian/Ukranian radioactive gaming. :D

Its funny you say that. After playing the STALKER games it made me look into the Metro games because its the closest thing we are going to get to a STALKER 2 I think.

Its funny you say that. After playing the STALKER games it made me look into the Metro games because its the closest thing we are going to get to a STALKER 2 I think.

I've played through all 3 STALKERs, which I had a blast with. Metro 2033 was alright, but still enjoyable. Metro Last Light is quite fun for me as I'm playing it. Last Light definitely has the closest feeling to being STALKER 2 w/o the open world feature. Lost Alpha would be what I'm aiming for. :)

Looks great, but I'll not be holding my breath. I hate to be a sceptic, but this thing has been in development for years now with no hint of a release date. Seems to suffer from "it's not quite finished" issues that many ambitious mods do. It looks amazing and I can't wait to play it, but I wouldn't take this as a sign that a release is coming anytime soon.

Can't wait for this game,been out of the Zone for far too long. Guess it can't really be called a mere mod anymore,since GSC is giving it a commercial release. The idea of a new story set in locations from all three past STALKER games on an improved engine really has me hooked.

I'm still psyched to play this, but the trailer itself was pretty lame. With a few exceptions, it's just a lot of flybys of areas we're all intimiately familiar with, with an extra topping the Stalker pathfinding quirks we know and love (?) for good measure. :p

Also what the heck was up with the aliasing in that vid. Maybe they are using a different version of XRay than the original? Because ShoC was the one Stalker that didn't make you jump through hoops for AA... just force it in drivers and you're done.

All in all, I hope I'm able to upgrade to a 2560x1600 monitor by the time it comes out.

They said in the video information that this isn't a trailer its just a bunch of in game footage.

God they still have shitty weapon models and terrible textures on them. I wish they'd fix them already. Other than that it looks pretty good. Though the environment was always something they did well in the series. They also need to enable anti-aliasing badly in the video. Good god that looks nasty in spots.

Everyone seems to overlook this and it's getting to the point where it's just something I don't understand. I had to give up on Misery, which claimed to be "hardcore" and "realistic" after starting with a Mosin Nagant somehow chambered in 7.62x39mm which still took more than two shots to a human NPC's head to kill them.

Well, that and the fact that mod was generally pretty shittily-designed. Fingers crossed that this is better and I can just find someone out there who can unfuck the guns.

I hope they fixed the gunplay. It was terrible in the original game. Also what's the deal with the gun texture/model looking like such shit? The environment looks great, the character models are decent but then you see that gun model and it's awful and it looks out of place. Even from the video posted it looks like they didn't touch them, weird.

I hope they fixed the gunplay. It was terrible in the original game. Also what's the deal with the gun texture/model looking like such shit? The environment looks great, the character models are decent but then you see that gun model and it's awful and it looks out of place. Even from the video posted it looks like they didn't touch them, weird.

I think they are going for the original look. In which case, the weapons were of bad proportions, incorrect 3D model wise, and very ugly animations/textures. Plenty of better weapon mods out there. I also hated the gun play in the base game. I'll give this a try, but not sure how far into it I will get.

Thinking back, the shitty gunplay was one of the major contributors (if not THE biggest one) to me not being able to get into this game. I really wanted to but it just never "clicked". I think a large part of that was the combat feeling really shitty.

Funnily enough, Metro 2033 had shitty gunplay as well.

I guess it just doesn't bother me. i never even noticed that the gunplay was a bit off till i heard people bitching about it.

I'd say I put a good 30ish hours into Stalker. Absolutely loved the atmosphere and the community (even got my Ukranian fiance into the game), but yeah the combat irked me

Thinking back, the shitty gunplay was one of the major contributors (if not THE biggest one) to me not being able to get into this game. I really wanted to but it just never "clicked". I think a large part of that was the combat feeling really shitty.

You should probably stick with COD or Broterfield too many then.:D

You should probably stick with COD or Broterfield too many then.:D

Nah, dislike those games as well..but at least they do gunplay properly. There are plenty of games that do it well, but for some reason these just fail hard at it.

I guess it just doesn't bother me. i never even noticed that the gunplay was a bit off till i heard people bitching about it.

The only thing that bothered me was how fast those guns started breaking and shooting everywhere but where you aimed :p

I think the problem as, the combat seemed to make smaller distances seem much larger. I'm fine with it, since it just somehow never bothered me. Not everyones cup of tea though.

Once I got used to it,the gunplay wasn't really a problem.The cardinal rule in STALKER is headshots are everything. It's definitely not a run 'n gun game,strategy and a good sniper rifle gets you a lot further than a head on firefight.

ya those armored guys could take so many rounds it was insane. though it did make it kinda fun since you had to plan an ambush just to kill one guy:p.

Plenty of mods fixed it. I think the mod I last played was called Super Mod Pack, which included many mods including weapons. The old, garbage looking weapons, sounds and animations were replaced. Weapons were deadly and accurate, even for the AI. Someone without body armor took a few hits with a rifle to kill. Same with you.

What impressed me was the amount of AK colors. They had about 30 different colors, mosts wood. Some synthetic, some with camo. But it really gave that "scavenged a random weapon" feel to the game. Aside from that, there were plenty of new weapons that tend not to be featured in most games.

And aside from all that, there were plenty of other gameplay changes. I believe it was based off of the Oblivion mod. I would strongly recommend looking through a mod that looks best to you and then download and try it. With mods the game is extremely good and a classic, if rough around the edges.

STALKER CoP was decent out of the box. Ugly weapons and animations remained, but the damage and accuracy was sensible by default. I would recommend that as well. But you might want to pick a mod for that to.

Yeah, eventually I will get the urge to try it again, so I'll use mods next time.

lurk 1.1 is pretty good ( if don't have the patience for 1.2 that is :p )

lolts of recoil but the iron sights are dead on target and the enemy AI is perfectly balanced for my taste, heck you can even gamble in the arena !

Oblivion Lost is challenging but pretty arcade-ish as well, most guns are point and shoot, especially the scoped ones !

I have started SoC like 5 or 6 times with various mods but oblivion lost and lurk are the only ones that managed to keep me interested till the end of main quest.

found vanilla CS to be pretty playable and enjoyable, CoP was too easy tho, have to buy it on steam some time and try the misery mod.

Yeah, eventually I will get the urge to try it again, so I'll use mods next time.

I've tried many of the popular mods for Stalker including, Complete, Misery, Lurk and OL. This one IMO is the best one so far.

Autumn Aurora 2
http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-aurora-compilation-mod

If you do try it the default game will be in Ukrainian, you will have to delete some sound files to turn it back to English.

Last edited:
Can't wait for this game,been out of the Zone for far too long. Guess it can't really be called a mere mod anymore,since GSC is giving it a commercial release. The idea of a new story set in locations from all three past STALKER games on an improved engine really has me hooked.

I've seen where GSC has said if they fix it up they could release it as a commercial product, but I havent actually seen where it is being released as a commercial product. Have a link?

I don't want the POS owner of gsc anywhere near this mod. And i definitely don't want him making any money off it.

Man i can't wait for this mod. STALKER SoC was by far the best game. After trying to get into CoP again with a new mod recently, the environment is just so boring i can't get into it.

SoC's environment felt more natural and varied.

Nah, dislike those games as well..but at least they do gunplay properly. There are plenty of games that do it well, but for some reason these just fail hard at it.

Properly meaning what? Totally unrealistic?

No wonder people get hurt with firearms so much now, they seem to think hitting a target at 50 yards at full sprint should be easy.

Properly meaning what? Totally unrealistic?

No wonder people get hurt with firearms so much now, they seem to think hitting a target at 50 yards at full sprint should be easy.

I think when it came out, CoD 4 was rather good. But ever since then the shooting mechanics have fallen very far behind. BF3/4 have rather good mechanics even if they are not the most realistic.

But out of the box, STALKER SoC did have terrible weapon mechanics. No doubt about that. At least CoP was solid out of the box. Overall I think the Metro games have decent mechanics as well.

Back