SSD Trim now confirmed working in RAID 0

Trim is now confirmed working in Raid 0 for SSDs. The feature has been added to RST after a long wait.

Works in Windows 8 AND Windows 7
Version 11.5.0.1582 or higher OROMs (will need motherboard update)
Intel 11.0 or higher WHQL RST Drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21730
Confirmed on z77, MAY work on other chipsets. Unconfirmed reports of it working on 5 and 6 series motherboards.

Source: http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=672&pagenumber=1
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6161/...ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it

Last edited:
As I stated in the previous thread, when Intel posts a wide-release driver on their site with a changelog that states this as gospel, I will applaud and start testing it. Also as before, it will take more than a hacked OROM and a driver package from a foreign (French this time, German Last time) that is NOT available on Intels site.

Last edited:
I can tell you that Gigabyte is working on getting everything together now for their 7 Series boards. Also, LSI is testing at their validation lab.

Chris
SSD Reviewer
Owner - RWL

I read the thread (I'm French) and the memory leak is still there since the console is the culprit and hasn't been updated.

As I stated in the previous thread, when Intel posts a wide-release driver on their site with a changelog that states this as gospel, I will applaud and start testing it. Also as before, it will take more than a hacked OROM and a driver package from a foreign (French this time, German Last time) that is NOT available on Intels site.

C'mon let them believe. You know how they love Santa. Don't kill Santa.

I'm actually surprised it took more than three posts for Hippie to get in here. :D

Now if I could only figure out how to bake in an OROM in Gigabyte's new UEFI BIOSes - they recently came out with a total UEFI upgrade for all their Z68 boards that completely replaces the old Award/AMI BIOSes. Unfortunately they chose to include a painfully old Intel OROM.

But in all seriousness the rwlabs 'article' posted above reads like a 12 year old forum troll wrote it, my head hurt from the first page onward and by the last page I was ready to punch a baby or something. There is certainly nothing 'official' about it, nor about his 'results'.

Last edited:
I hope it would work also on Z68 mobo, it would suck a bit, to have to upgrade mobo from Z68 to Z77, only to get TRIM, as there is no other benefit (for me), especially if I run the gen3 board.

Oh well, I guess, before Haswell (my next upgrade), the drivers will mature, problems will be solved, and the "z88" chipset will support it fully

Now that's something a bit more 'official' - certainly a better read.

I'm wondering if he actually ever tried a 6 series board with an 11.5 OROM baked in, I bet it would work. Unless Intel actually put some sort of routine in their RST driver that checks to see if you're running a 7-series chipset I can see no reason why it wouldn't work - intel's software RAID and the underlying hardware in the chipset hasn't changed in YEARS.

This. Is. Huge.

Seriously, now we can get two SSDs if the price/GB is cheaper, and use them just like one. Game-changing work here, thank you Intel!

This. Is. Huge.

Seriously, now we can get two SSDs if the price/GB is cheaper, and use them just like one. Game-changing work here, thank you Intel!
I've been using SSAs in RAID since May 2010 and like many others, have had no problem just using GC.

GC gives @ 90 - 95% of TRIM's attributes.

It won't work with my LSI card anyway but I just don't see it as a major jump.

Looks like the hunt and chase is more fun than the actual results. :D

can anyone tell me what driver I need for the Rampage Extreme IV to get trim support? Any help would be great.

Come on guys, take it easy on Jon. He hasn't even been writing for a year and I tossed him into a very complicated article.

When it comes to facts Jon nailed it, even more so than Anand. Jon's article also forced Intel's hand into making an official statment about RAID 0 TRIM, something I've been asking for since the 520 Series launch.

The delivery could of been better but the substance was there. I'll take someone who knows what they are talking about and teach them how to write over someone who can write and don't know shit about the subject matter. How many people are out there writing about SSDs now that don't know anything about them over telling you a drive hits 425 MB/s average in HD Tune?

I've been using SSAs in RAID since May 2010 and like many others, have had no problem just using GC.

GC gives @ 90 - 95% of TRIM's attributes.

It won't work with my LSI card anyway but I just don't see it as a major jump.

Looks like the hunt and chase is more fun than the actual results. :D
By GC I assume you're referring to the SSD's own garbage collection? I've never run SSDs in RAID so as to avoid potential issues, but if it hasn't been a problem for you, great. Some models/controllers have more or less aggressive GC and many have probably been just fine behind a RAID, but with TRIM finally passing through, it doesn't matter. It no longer has to be considered, you're not losing anything moving to RAID now, and to me that's a big step forward. (Though I probably overstated just a bit, hehe ;))

And again, the shopping benefit is the biggest one to me - buy on price/GB only, RAID to meet the needed capacity.

Except you first need to buy a new computer unless you are equipped with an Intel 7-series chipset already.

I'm running an x79 with latest OROM and 3.2 Driver. Can anyone confirm that's it's working?

Back