SSD Drives Vulnerable to Attacks That Corrupt User Data

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
New research describes two vulnerabilities that can affect SSD drives utilizing MLC technology: “program interference” and “read disturb.” In the first, an attacker can corrupt data or reduce the lifespan of a drive by writing data with a certain pattern: specifically, the data pattern makes an MLC's programming logic cause 4.9 more errors than usual. For the second type of attack, exploit code can force an SSD to perform a large number of writes in a short period of time, which also results in data corruption and degradation of the drive’s storage abilities. I’m going to assume these attacks are more complicated than described, since SSDs can stand up pretty well even when atypical amounts of data are being written.

The first generation of SSD storage drives used a technology called single-level cell (SLC), which used one NAND flash memory chip to store one bit of information, with "electrically charged" standing for a binary one, and "not electrically charged" standing for a binary zero. As with all technology, things evolved over the years, and scientists and SSD vendors realized they could integrate a floating gate transistor into NAND flash memory chip, which gave them the ability to store two bits of information in the form of a range of charge voltage values representing the binary numbers of 00, 01, 10, and 11. This new technology is called multi-level cell (MLC), and has become prevalent in all SSDs since around 2015.

Well I can use this to blame Samsung's 840 pro and the write speed dropping 200 points in 1 week and staying like that. I had full speed at 550 and it dropped down into the 300's. Someone is out for my SSD (runs around pretending to be on fire).

If they're already on the system, there's probably better things for them to do. Interesting premise though.

Well I can use this to blame Samsung's 840 pro and the write speed dropping 200 points in 1 week and staying like that. I had full speed at 550 and it dropped down into the 300's. Someone is out for my SSD (runs around pretending to be on fire).

Do a secure erase on the drive, should bring it back to life.

There has always been these types of attacks, the write one sector over and over again to kill spinners for example. It is cool research, but not really used practically.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

I can see something like this being used by the data recovery companies in order to get more business.

Solid State Disk Drive.

No, he's right. "SSD Drive" is redundant. "HDD" has the extra D in there for "Disk Drive," so it stands to reason if the industry intended the same for Solid States, the acronym would be "SSDD." Besides, there isn't a physical disk on a SSD anyway.

Uhoh, btter use comodo firewall with a hardware firewall "router". Or don't download malicious software.

Back