SR-2 STACKER

coolmiester

Limp Gawd
Let me play catch up and bring the work log up to date :)

I know its been way too long and these damn 840's have been breeding :D

Anyway, i was looking at my separates under the TV and liked how they stacked with the round silver feet showing in between so decided to do something similar with the two 840's and make a stacked rad box to fit on top.

I'm thinking a couple of EK 480 radiators up top - one for the CPU's and one for the full board block and and a couple of MIP's RAM Freezers.

I'm removing the hard drive caddy from the main 840 and will be mounting two EK 240's there for the graphics cards.

So, i did a bit of a crude mock up with bits of chewing gum just to see how things look

MINI 840 anyone :D

System Spec:
Coolermaster ATCs 840 Chassis x2
Intel X5650's
EVGA SR-2 Motherboard
12GB Crucial RAM
SSD's TBA
PSU TBA

Watercooling Spec:
All TBA

sr-2_840_1.jpg

sr-2_840_2.jpg

sr-2_840_3.jpg

sr-2_840_4.jpg

sr-2_840_5.jpg

sr-2_840_6.jpg

sr-2_840_7.jpg

sr-2_840_8.jpg

sr-2_840_9.jpg

sr-2_840_10.jpg

BIG thanks to Crazy_V shipping me a brand new SR-2 board over and going above and beyond with updates, even though she's had her own issues to deal with.

I got to hold one of the early samples at CeBIT in March but i forgot how big they actually are but none the less it, what a fantastic piece of kit.

Anyway couldn't resist sticking a few dual PCB 295's in there just to see how it looked :eek:

......blocks all ordered :)

sr-2_840_11.jpg

sr-2_840_12.jpg

sr-2_840_14.jpg

sr-2_840_19.jpg

sr-2_840_15.jpg

sr-2_840_16.jpg

sr-2_840_17.jpg

sr-2_840_18.jpg

Well i finished off fabricating the rad box and got it riveted back together so decided to test fit one of the 480 rads which fit perfect so all the measuring paid off.

The whole top will be replaced with a 6mm thick piece of aluminium with a vent that will match both sides of the box but more on that later - just added the original top to see how things were looking and i'm well chuffed.

And finally, i couldn't resist a photo next to the mini H20 Cosmos:D

sr-2_840_20.jpg

sr-2_840_21.jpg

sr-2_840_22.jpg

sr-2_840_23.jpg

sr-2_840_24.jpg

I didn't think i had a PSU that would work but found a new Coolermaster Silent Pro M 1000w which has 2x CPU 12v 4+4 Pin and 6x PCIe 6+2 Pin and works a treat though not tried any 295's yet but booted and loaded W7 on a 74GB Raptor with a 285 and all seems well.

Time to play :cool:

sr-2_840_25.jpg

sr-2_840_26.jpg

I hadn't planned on using either Phobya radiators or fan but when a friend at Aquatuning UK saw the prod log on Bit-Tech and suggested i give them a go, plus the fans fit in perfectly with the colour scheme, who was i to argue. So hats off to both Aquatuning and Phobya for getting involved in this mod.

13x Phobya Nano-G 12 PWM LED Silent Waterproof 1500rpm
13x Phobya 4Pin PWM extension 30cm - black
2x Phobya G-Changer 240 Black
2x Phobya G-Changer 480 Ver. 1.2 Black
2x Phobya Radiator Stand - black - Quad - 4x120mm

Still waiting on blocks but before i get the 480 rads mounted in the rad box, i'm going to do some simple testing to see which way is best for airflow etc but they do fit perfectly :cool:

phobya_1.jpg

phobya_2.jpg

phobya_3.jpg

phobya_4.jpg

phobya_5.jpg

phobya_6.jpg

phobya_7.jpg

phobya_8.jpg

phobya_9.jpg

Big thanks to Michael at MIP's for getting me the SR-2 blocks along with a couple of HK3's and RAM Freezers.

I pre-ordered some M3 stand-off along with some M3 Hex bolts so could go ahead and mount the HK3's using the standard SR-2 back plates so couldn't resist to do a dry run to see how things look :)

mips_1.jpg

mips_2.jpg

mips_3.jpg

mips_4.jpg

mips_5.jpg

mips_6.jpg

mips_7.jpg

mips_8.jpg

mips_9.jpg

I'm thinking three loops like this....

I've used red, blue and green so its easier to pick each loop out but i won't be going with those colours.

sr2_hose.jpg

Three Kazemaster fan controllers turned up for the rad box so time to make a bezel to hold them.

Just wish they had turned up earlier so i could have got them all mounted but ran out of time so one down, two to go and at least the weather is going to hold out all weekend so more to come over the next few days.

bezel_1.jpg

bezel_2.jpg

bezel_3.jpg

bezel_4.jpg

bezel_5.jpg

bezel_6.jpg

bezel_7.jpg

bezel_8.jpg

bezel_9.jpg

Fret Saw with piercing 12 x 32tpi blades :)

bezel_10.jpg

bezel_11.jpg

And thats the worklog up to date as of today :)

Finished the bezel for the rad box which worked out good even though there is a few slight imperfection - fan controllers are just stuck in with Blu Tack for the time being and the whole thing still needs powder coated and painted but that's it pretty much done :)

bezel_12.JPG

bezel_14.JPG

bezel_15.JPG

bezel_16.JPG

bezel_17.JPG

bezel_18.JPG

bezel_19.JPG

bezel_20.JPG

bezel_21.jpg

Simply amazing work so far, I am anxious to see the final outcome.

This is a badass project man. I see a front page nod in your future. :)

That board looks absolutely incredible with those blocks. Just monstrously cool.

Subscribed.

Please see if you can get those chips to 4.5 ghz and set some folding records.

Thanks for the feedback :cool:

Couldn't resist doing a bit of a mock up held together with bubble gum and string :D

bezel_30.JPG

bezel_31.JPG

bezel_32.JPG

bezel_33.JPG

bezel_34.JPG

Wow, I'm definitely going to be following this work log. Great job!

What's your rationale behind that sheer amount of radiator-goodness? I take it you plan on doing some serious overclocking?

very nice man....subscribed for sure.....that is looking very nice

Jesse B.......295's run hot mate :) He needs a loop just for those bloody things.....but ya since he has x5650's he is probably going to do some serious OCing, a guy in the DC area has two of those at 4.2 ghz on air......would love tos ee what they can do on water

Jesse B.......295's run hot mate :) He needs a loop just for those bloody things.....but ya since he has x5650's he is probably going to do some serious OCing, a guy in the DC area has two of those at 4.2 ghz on air......would love tos ee what they can do on water

Makes sense I 'spose. :D Just can't say I've ever seen 2xQuad and 2xDual rads used on a single PC before :p

Looks fantastic bro, I really cant wait to see how this turns out...

Need moar pics!

AACK!!!!! I'm getting ideas!!! You lousy piece of .....subscribed!

Wow.... simply amazing work so far!

Question: are you planning on attaching the top rad box to the main case in any way? Or are you just going to let it sit on top?

This thing looks really cool but I don't really understand what it's doing... Is that supposed to cool the hot air that's already come out of the top of the case?

Simply amazing the amount of skill you have, hats off to ya. Can't wait to see more updates.

Subscribed! :)

Great workmanship is going into this project. The final product is going to look awesome! Keep up the good work. :)

Back