SR-2 Optimization Thread

Is there not an option in the BIOS to force multipliers? Also, try disabling speed step and see what happens.

Is there not an option in the BIOS to force multipliers? Also, try disabling speed step and see what happens.

Go into CPU options in the tweaking section of the BIOS and turn off Turbo Mode tech.

Personally I would leave the turbo on and lower the blk to get the same speed as it is less demanding on the VTT and IOH voltages but to each their own..

Go into CPU options in the tweaking section of the BIOS and turn off Turbo Mode tech.

Personally I would leave the turbo on and lower the blk to get the same speed as it is less demanding on the VTT and IOH voltages but to each their own..

If I turn off Turbo I lose the 21x multi, and if I turn it on I get a random 23x multi on boot that crashes the system.
I'm looking for a combination of settings that keeps 21x and eliminates the 23x.

If I turn off Turbo I lose the 21x multi, and if I turn it on I get a random 23x multi on boot that crashes the system.
I'm looking for a combination of settings that keeps 21x and eliminates the 23x.

Lower your blk so that 23*blk is equal to your current blk*21.

Most of us run the special chips that only have a 1x turbo multi so these options haven't been thorughly explored here.

Lower your blk so that 23*blk is equal to your current blk*21.

Most of us run the special chips that only have a 1x turbo multi so these options haven't been thorughly explored here.

These are also A0 specials, but for some reason they have a 23x mode that the SR2 seems to be unable to hold.
I'll poke around the BIOS and Windows for ways to force that multiplier.

These are also A0 specials, but for some reason they have a 23x mode that the SR2 seems to be unable to hold.
I'll poke around the BIOS and Windows for ways to force that multiplier.

Assuming your A0s are basically functioning just like retail 5650s, the turbo is 2/2/2/2/3/3, meaning if one or two cores get loaded, you will see a 23x multiplier. Unfortunately, turbo is either on or off, so there is no way to force 22x max. Additionally unfortunate, the SR-2 does not respect a set multiplier with turbo enabled. May I Be Worthy found that out - 20x multiplier with turbo enabled gives 22x full load. 19x multiplier (or any other multiplier) with turbo enabled still give 22x full load - the set multiplier + 2x turbo is not respected. So, you can't run at 21x no matter what you do. Keep in mind that this was from several bioses ago, so I suppose it is possible that a later bios fixed this. I have been out of the SR-2 loop for a long time now, and I never had anything faster than an L5640 "extra spicy" chip when I was running SR-2s. Since you should be able to run at 200+ bclk, you can still get 4 GHz (or more) with a 20x multiplier and turbo disabled.

I need to find the discussion on CPU numbering vs. actual motherboard location. I'm going to upgrade/swap coolers to see if I can get the one hot core to behave, and don't know whether it is o or 1, and I seem to remembe the reported hot one is not the marked on on the mobo.

Help appreciated, T.I.A.
Bruce Hinton

Hi Stroker!

OK, that will be where the NH D-14 goes, I may only need one. The 212 EVOs have done a great job except for the one core, and that CPU has a fan underneath it too... Go figure.

The machine will run Primes small FFT torture for days on end, zero errors and warnings. But it gets higher readings than I like on OCCT's Linpack at custom 100% and 23 GB mem.

My CPUs are the 5645s @ 3.6GHz, and TCase is 76C, which I go by for core temp, though the prevailing wisdom indicates 5-10C more indicated core is still within the TCase spec.

If it was just occasional gaming, which I have no time for anyway, no problem with current setup, but folding at 100% all cores, I like a large margin of safety.

I'll post the temp changes when the cooler goes on, if it will add to the data pool, as in relative change.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Elephants rule!!! (426s anyway) :)

Bruce

P.S. Has anyone ever done an actual TCase-like comparison to see if that side really is hotter or just reads that way due to mobo anomalies?

P.S. Has anyone ever done an actual TCase-like comparison to see if that side really is hotter or just reads that way due to mobo anomalies?

The guys over on the evga have done extensive testing to verify that CPU1 does run hotter. The degree of difference depends on many factors.

Here's mine, Primes95 at 3.6GHz, mixed FFTs:
CPU0 55,54,54,54,59,56
CPU1 56,64,53,56,54,60

From what I remember of the discussion I guess I'm about at median.

Cool! (I can't believe my keybard wrote that.. :rolleyes:)

B.

Okay, i finally got my system up and booting. and all installed.
L5639 es, 212+'s, 1050hx and 12Gigs of ram.

LinX ran at 44C at stock,
Tried to start overclocking, only want 3.0Ghz, the multi is only 17 in turbo, so 176 blk.

Problem is, as soon as I turn off dummy oc, i blue screen on boot with 07E, even with everything auto and stock 133 blk.

Anyone got any advise? I've had one of these cpu's up to 3.6 (199blk) at a 1.136 Vcore, as seen in cpu-z on my old ud3r board.

I left it at default, with vdrop 1.3, I set it manually at 1.2, and i set everything auto

When i boot with no oc,it sets it at 1 without vdroop.

Last edited:
try setting them all manually at whatever the stock voltage is (i cant remember what they are for the L5639's, i dont think i ran mine stock much at all :D, my board does 195 BLK as well though..)

It's right odd, at stock settings, it will error out on 1 pass of Lin X... AND if i change my V dimm (auto has it at 1.5V but Corsair says 1.65V) it won't boot.

Wonder if my RAM is properly seated.

Well, got it so i came pass LinX, must have missed a voltage setting, sure ain't like my ud3r... oh well.. I shall conquer this damn thing

Last edited:
Well, progress I guess.

Toss'd in my known bad set of RAM, same type as the other two, and now I can boot using the manual settings, and voltages (1.65Vdimm).
Switched out the bad stick for one of the not booting ones, But it will not pass linX with 10125meg setting.. (But It does pass with 6Megs), no matter the Vcore, Using 8 or available does not finish without an error at the end.

Same as IBT 2.5.4.

So, is this possibly still bad stick or is it motherboard or cpu?

Please help me, my folding has suffered dramatically.

I remember having a similar issue with manual settings. I'm pretty sure it was ram related, but o don't remember specifically. Make sure your ram divider and timings are set correctly.

I think I read something like that bout page 36... okay, that was just a guess, but I'll have to go relook. My RM is all auto, other than V dim.

Not alot of talk of Temps, CoreTemp turns Yellow at 67C and the Tmax reads 81C vs100C on my i7.

What is a safe 24/7 Temp?

Not alot of talk of Temps, CoreTemp turns Yellow at 67C and the Tmax reads 81C vs100C on my i7.

What is a safe 24/7 Temp?
I've run my L5640s in the mid to high 60s for probably two years straight.

What do you guys think of these on a SR-2? G. Skill Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 CAS 6
Would I be better off buying these than putting in the Kingston HyperX KHX1600c9 that I have now?

If the only difference is the cas latency, you won't see too much difference in performance. Somewhere around 5%

I thought that SR2 bios does not recognize low latency ram (7 or lower) very well. Has anyone solved this problem yet?

I could really use some help with overclocking this SR2.

• 2x x5690 cooled with H100's (eventually I will add custom cooling).
  • 24GB of of HyperX 1600 9-9-9-27, 6 sticks in the red slots (KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX)
  • 2x evga gtx 680 on air. Eventually I want to go to 3x with a custom water loop.

I've OC'ed a pair of 2600k's and a 4P folding rig but not something like this. I read through some of this thread but did not see anything like a 5690 template. I took a shot at slowing increasing my bclk and changing voltages as needed. I thought I had a stable OC at 160 but then started seeing lockups when making longer runs of prime95 with a custom blend using 20GB of memory. I also see lockups if I run a pair of IBT (each assigned to a cpu) with 10GB each.

I'm lost as to how I can diagnose the cause of this lockup. Any suggestions?

I could really use some help with overclocking this SR2.

• 2x x5690 cooled with H100's (eventually I will add custom cooling).
  • 24GB of of HyperX 1600 9-9-9-27, 6 sticks in the red slots (KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX)
  • 2x evga gtx 680 on air. Eventually I want to go to 3x with a custom water loop.

I've OC'ed a pair of 2600k's and a 4P folding rig but not something like this. I read through some of this thread but did not see anything like a 5690 template. I took a shot at slowing increasing my bclk and changing voltages as needed. I thought I had a stable OC at 160 but then started seeing lockups when making longer runs of prime95 with a custom blend using 20GB of memory. I also see lockups if I run a pair of IBT (each assigned to a cpu) with 10GB each.

I'm lost as to how I can diagnose the cause of this lockup. Any suggestions?

160BCLK on X5690's is already 4.0, I think...past that and you might need elevated voltages.
What's your IOH voltage? Try bumping that up.

I can not get an pass with anything over 8Gigs of ram, yet I'm folding 24/7 with no locks or failed units.

Not even atstock could/can I pass IBT... So I gave up and started folding. When I pass 180blk I started getting the classic unstable signs so I just assumed ibt hates more ram.
btw I only ever errored, not bsod.

Bumped it up to 1.3 and re-trying. Will let you know, thanks!

Ran my custom prime95 with ioh at 1.3 and got a bsod 101 after several hours. Retried at the same settings with 2 IBT custom and got a lockup within about 10 minutes.

bsod 101 is usually vcore, right? I can try pushing that up a bit and see what happens.

UPDATE: pushed vcore up another notch to 1.33125 -- been running dual IBT for ~4 hours and no problems so far...

Last edited:
What are your temps?

So far, good. Max cpu is upper 60's. The hot PWM is also upper 60's / lower 70's (C).

Ran dual IBT for 6 hours, no problems. Making a prime95 run now.

Update: and prime locks up after a couple of hours ... /sigh

Last edited:
I bumped IOH up another notch to 1.325. Prime95 ran for 8 hours before locking up again. IOH does seem to be helping so I've upped it again to 1.35 and started another run. My settings are now:

• bclk: 160
  • mult: x26, turbo enabled so max mult is x27/x28 (4322.6MHz in eleet)
  • memory speed is x8, strap on auto, uncore x16
  • vcore: 1.33125
  • vtt: 1.375
  • vdimm: 1.65
  • ioh: 1.35

Does this seem reasonable at this level of overclock? Is there a recommendation for how high I can take IOH? I've seen that most of the overclocks on this thread have it at 1.4 but they are at bclk 180 - 200. Any suggestions?

bump ... any suggestions?

I was able to run prime95 with the settings above and a custom blend with 20GB allocated, but then got a rounding error. I bumped vcore up a notch but things seems to be more unstable now with more frequent lockups.

I agree that six sticks will be easier to overclock if you can live with 32GB

8GB modules won't be a picnic either. I remember some threads about large memory setups but I don't know where they are at this point. You might try googling for 32gb or 48gb setups.

Is it the quantity of ram that will matter for what you will be doing or the speed ( or both)?

Henrik

I'm putting together a computer which will be used mainly for rendering. I've got two X5650's, three GTX580s, one Quadro card. I'm planning for water cooling. What remains is the case, the psu(s), and the memory. I went onto Crucials site and got recommended their 16GB kit (4GBx4), Ballistix, non-ecc, ddr3-1600, the BLS4K4G3D1609ES2LX0. These are 9-9-9-24. Crucial furthermore suggests two other 16GB kits, with slightly lower latencies 8-8-8-24, one on 1.5 v, the other at 1.35v. Reading on various forums I've picked up that several people run G.Skill, and that I should go with 8GBx6 rather than 4GBx12 modules, because overclocking this board is alledgedly temperamental when populating all 12 slots.

Any recommendations?

Would I be foolish to think that I could fit 6x 16Gb stick in my SR-2?

Reason why I am looking is that I wasn't able to OC with 12x 8Gb Kingston though having the extra ram was very useful.

I have been thinking of some Samsung 16gb ECC 1600 1.5v can't remember the exact model number

What's the opinion ?

Thanks

Henrik

Ps my sig isn't up to date

Go for IOH 1.4?

Tried ioh @ 1.4: prime ran for a few hours and then got a bsod 101. Bumped vcore up to 1.34375 and re-ran: locked up again.

These lock-ups -- I've been assuming this is a memory / timing issue. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Back