SR-2 Optimization Thread

Is this thread still alive?

I just got a SR-2 with dual E5620 and i'm going crazy!!

Welcome to the joy that is the EVGA SR-2 Classified!

This thread is fairly dead because it is over 2 years old and most of us have long since sold off the SR-2s in favor of other configurations. I did not watch your videos because they wouldn't mean that much to me these days - I haven't owned an SR-2 for well over a year now. That being said, some of the standard points on these boards:

- Verify that you actual voltages are correct in the bios hardware monitor. I had 4 of these boards at one point, and none of them were very close comparing voltage settings to actual voltages. Memory voltage was a big one - setting them to 1.65V gave me an actual voltage close to 1.7V. You may be inadvertant undervolting or overvolting a component without knowing it. Also, where you have mutilple settings for each CPU/memory set, the two could be different. Again using memory as an example, you may end up with something like 1.62V on one channel and 1.63V on the other channel on your settings to end up with 1.65V on each channel.

- Setting memory timings manually to what they should be may end up allowing for a higher bclk. More relaxed timings may not help you.

- You need to go through the standard 3-step overclocking process for Socket 1366 systems. Don't skip steps and make sure everything is stable after each step. Most people don't want to go through this process, and end up chasing issues that would be identified during the proper process. SR-2s are not much different than any other Socket 1366 board in terms of finding the overclocking potential. Here is a good guide for what I am talking about:

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

- Lower expectations - you have double the processors and thus double the potential limiting factors. It is doubtful you will hit the same max overclock on an SR-2 that you can on a single proc board. 200 MHz bclk is about the limit for SR-2s. With your lower multiplier CPUs, you are probably going to be limited by this.

Good luck!

Hi Musky!,

My point is that i got 96Gb ECC for free + 2x Xeon E5620 for free.
So getting the board was the only thing i needed.

I've been overclocking since my Cyrix 66mhz hahahah with Abit boards. And i never had so many problems like now...
I've lost 1 week checking configs and bugs and i finally got something else.
This board have jumpers where you can put CPU0 or CPU1 disabled.

Because i couldnt put the system stable i limited the board to CPU0. I still had problem.. :( I could never go above 166bclk
Yesterday i limited the board to CPU1... Voila! Running Prime at 10hours at 211bclk @ 4ghz !!!!
:\

Do i have a problem with socket 0? :( This board is brand new.. 1 week old..

You could possibly have a socket issue or a CPU issue, although I doubt it. Swap the CPUs to opposite sockets and see. Also, isolation test your memory to see if you have one or more bad sticks that are causing you issues. The more variables you can eliminate, the better. Also, your statement on your CPU0 test - was that 166 bclk with CPU and memory out of the equation per the overclocking guide I linked?

Keep in mind that you are trying to overclock two CPUs and up to 12 sticks of memory in the same system at the same time. There are a ton more variables at play here, so you should have expected more problems than with any other system you overclocked.

RipJaw X

I only run 1600 myself, but from what I know the RipJaws up/down the line work just fine, no issues here with my 24gb of it.

Is anyone running with 48GB or more ram ? if so what are you using and what are your overclocking experience with the board. E.g. are you able to overclock?

Thanks

Henrik

PS: I had 12x 8GB Kingston 1333 ECC but I couldn't over clock it, I am currently at 48GB and can get 4.2 Ghz with my dual X5650

Vapochilled,

My experience with the SR-2 and 96GB of ECC hasn't been that good in terms of overclocking its been impossible for me to do. I have/had Kingston 1333 ECC ram.

Others who have had Crucial/Micron ECC ram have had better success. I am even contemplating getting non ECC ram if that will make life easier in the fast lane.

I am still expecting to keep this machine alive for another two years, it may be two years old, but unless something very revolutionary comes around, the SR-2 will server my needs well, in particular if I can get 96GB and 4+GHZ ... I do image editing on large pano's

all the best

Henrik

Hi guys! (i'm italian so...don't look at my worse english, i hope you can understand)
I have this configuration at least by 1 week :

- 2xe5645 + 2xcorsair h100i (4fan nzxt 120fb 2600rpm 160cfm)
- EVGA CLASSIFIED SR-2 (i fall in love with her <3)
- 4x4gb (16total) CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 2133Mhz cas 9 1.5v
- 2xasus HD7970 crossfire
- 1xssd samsung pm81 128gb
- 1xseagate 2tb storage
- psu enermax platimax 850w
- lamptron reobus fc2 (6 rail for fans...with conectors up to 12 fan)
- fan : 2fan xigmatek 120mm led in front (air in), 1fan nzxt 120fb (like the same above) on the rear (air out), 1fan 200mm led xigmatek on the vga panel (air out), 1x 120mm slim scyte on the cpu side panel (air out)
- case xigmatek elysium (modded for 2 280mm radiators)
I HAVE THIS ISSUE :
i have disabled on the bios everything such usb3, sata3, numas, only audio actived from board
setted dummy oc and start to oc...but if i pass 160 bclk, like 161 when i shutdown the system and then power it up, he wan't boot...
if i set 160bclk i don't have any issue, after shutdown i will boot istantly and normally!

but if not shutdown but reset, i can reach 200bclk and oc to, and tested to and it was stable under linx with 60°C with 24 treads NO TURBO with 1.3v core and vtt 1.35, ioh 1.4 or 1.35 just the same result...but f**k when i shutdown, it will not boot, if i reset is perfect!

this will not appen like a just said before if i still stuck on 160bclk...
this the setting :

dummy oc : enabled
cpu ratio 18x
bclk 160 - 192 - 200 (i test those clocks)
qpi 4.8
mch : dram ratio
ram : 1333 (to achieve 1600 - 1920 - 2000mhz)
uncore 18x

voltages
cpu1 : 1.3
cpu2 : 1.3
qpi1 : 1.35
qpi2 : 1.35
dram1 : 1.51 - 1.55 - 1.65 (with those voltages the ram works with every clocks and timings)
drma2 : 1.51 - 1.55 - 1.65
ioh : 1.35 - 1.4

ram timing :
at 1600mhz 7-7-7-20-2t
at 1920-2000mhz 9-9-9-24-2t

i have tested for two days this settings with different conbinations with BIOS : a43, a47, a50, a53, a56

EVERY THIME THE SAME ENDING AFTER WHUTDOWN IT WILL BOOT UP ONLY IF THE BCLK IS 160!

the system runs great at 2.9ghz too but i want to reach 3.46ghz without this issue (to have performance like x5690)

EDIT: ill try to manually change the MCH to 1066-1333-1600-1866 and i reach 205bclk with 3.7ghz 1.31v 1.35vtt 1.37ioh and ram 2050mhz cas 9 (due to 1600mch) stable...but then the same thing after shutdown at powerup never boot and have to reset and set the "safe overclock" to 160blck with 2.9ghz...

PLEEAAAAASEEEEE HELP!!!

maybe the psu?

Please read this post:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039488609&postcount=1244

You are stuck at the first step of the three step process, and you are not isolating bclk. Get the CPUs and memory out of the equation and see what it takes to max out your blck.

ill' try to follow the guide but nothing...same thing unless i was able to reach 3900mhz with x19...i will try tomorrow with the triple channel actived and with swipe cpu slot...

Does anyone know what the BSOD code 124 means? I am trying to install win7 and keep getting it after the last install reboot. Completely stock 5650 setup right now....

GOD I FUCKING HATE MICROSOFT. One of their piece of crap updates is causing the problem. The damn QA department is fucking worse than Stanfords. 6+ hours down the shitter.

Last edited:
0x000000124?

Yeah I get a lot of that. From what I found out, that's an overclocking issue. HAL.DLL error. I still have those issues whenever I play games. I guess it requires more voltage fine tuning.

When I have had trouble loading an OS on the SR-2 it is usually related the to HDD.

AHCI? RAID? IDE? setting wrong for the drive.

Make sure you cold boot the board every time (pull plug count to 30).

Would an SR2 be ok for a non over clocked system with two L5639s at 48gb ram?

Most likely yes. There were some people running 48gb even overclocked

If you are looking to overclock in any amount, the SR2 is your only option, and will work with your desired setup. Using 48gb of ram (Guessing you have 12 sticks of 4gb Dimms?) will limit the max overclock mostly, but is still possible

However since your not looking to overclock at all, it would be highly suggested to look at offerings from SM (like you have now), Tyan, or even Asus for another Server/Workstation class motherboard, as the SR2 is not worth its insane price unless your overclock (at which point it is the only option)

Last edited:
like what im super interested, im so pissed at my supermicro x8dte-f

it sees both chips but wont see the other bank of ram, nothing changed but the case i had it in

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but have you taken it back out of the case? I've definitely seen odd things happen when moving from one case to another. Something about the way they're grounded, I would think.

Sounds like a grounding issue or maybe you tightened the HSF too tight if you removed and replaced them.

Yeah I'll have to pull it out and see. Thanks for the tips I had suspected as much

May I ask why? At this point in time it is almost more economical to pick up a 2p 2011 machine, especially for the heartache it can cause

May I ask why? At this point in time it is almost more economical to pick up a 2p 2011 machine, especially for the heartache it can cause

I have wanted to build one for quite a while and I want a big MB. I have a big case (CL TH10) and I wanted a challenge.:D

It is up and running with no issues at 4.2, but I am in search of a OC template for Bios A58 if anyone has one.

Which chips? For the most part the OC template is more chip related, than bios related

I am currently stable at 4.3 with the following settings as indicated in the Bios;

Boot Up CPU 0 VC - 1.3875

CPU 1 VC - 1.38125

Eventual CPU 0 VC - 1.3875

CPU 1 VC - 1.38125

Boot UP CPU 0 VTT - 1.375

CPU 1 VTT - 1.375

Eventual CPU 0 VTT - 1.375

CPU 1 VTT - 1.375

DIMM 1.65

IOH 1.4

IOH PLL 1.8

IOH QPI 0 -86

1 -16

CPU Freq 180

PCIe Freq 101

Multi 24

Mem Freq 1333

MCH Strap Auto

Last edited:
Going to bump this for the good info, and the influx of SR-2 questions that will be coming due to the L5639 sale...

Going to bump this for the good info, and the influx of SR-2 questions that will be coming due to the L5639 sale...

Yeah I went back and Evernote'd my L5640 settings to refer to later once I finally get a board again. :)

I want to pass along a good deal on Intel hexcore chips.
X5660 socket 1366 3067mhz turbo in Linux makes bigadv at stock speed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151163971481?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have an Asus board that I had to park when Stanford cut return times, then I found these.
I bought 2 for 400$ I offered 175$ but 200 is as low as he will go.
Shipped fast and work real well. 170Kish PPD

If this is not a good place to post this, sorry.
Move or delete if needed.
200 for a good hexcore 1366 s great, they were 500 just a couple months ago.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back