Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

MrWoot

Gawd
Has anyone picked this game up yet? All of the reviews give this game high remarks, and I had the chance to play it for a few minutes the other night, and it looks like one amazing game.

www.splintercell.com

Can't really pick it up, as it isn't out yet. There's only a demo.

I heard that people were already picking their copies up at Walmart?

I've had it most of the week. It is good.The map is a piece of shit and it isn't always clear where your should go. But other then that, I have no complaints.

Ordered my collector'rs edition, but Ubi.com didn't ship them until last night! ARgh!!

Loved the demo, though. Can't wait to play the game.

Agreed. This series just keeps getting more and more refined.

I am getting mine today.

I played the demo and it was sweeet.

I will post some nice screenshots later today.

Wondernerd said:
I've had it most of the week. It is good.The map is a piece of shit and it isn't always clear where your should go. But other then that, I have no complaints.

same here. the only useful thing i can get from that map is where i am vertically in relation to the objective.

the new MP maps are awesome though. orphanage is great. reminds me of resident evil or silent hill for some reason.

Looks like SC still doesn't allow anti-aliasing. Is this correct? I haven't tried out the demo yet.

I bought mine yesterday at CompUSA. They only had like 10 in stock and they usually have new games like this sticking out. I guess not. Anyways, I love the game so far, and I'm sure co-op is even more amazing. For all you bad people out there who aren't gonna buy it, I'm glad that they use StarForce for this one.

Elias said:
Looks like SC still doesn't allow anti-aliasing. Is this correct? I haven't tried out the demo yet.
Only if you have it use HDR.

I got it release day at my local gamestop, non-collectors edition. It came on DVD and cost me $40. Not bad.

The game is fun, and it supports all the latest graphical bells and whistles (SM3, HDR lighting, Parallax mapping) as a result, it looks great, but it is in dire need of higher-res textures. Gameplay is good, and I like the rating system and that you can slit people's throats.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet, but coop is a great idea and I will be trying it out soon.

TekSomniaK said:
I'm glad that they use StarForce for this one.

same. even if it is only for a short while, its nice to be able to play a game that the warez kiddies can't play yet.

I got bit in the ass with some incompatabilities and Starforce. :( Taking a gamble and going out to get another drive this weekend. I figure it's time to get a DVD-RW drive, and the chances of incompatabilities are low.

Anyway, it's been a painful week. Game I've been most looking forward to. Played the SP demo religiously, and... all I can do is look at the box and weep. :(

Ah well. Hope the rest of the game is as good as, or better than the demo. Happy gaming, all.

yeah i can't wait to get that game, but of course money is an issue. Damn you bills.

Awesome Game, has AA and AF in setup menu. Using 1280x1024 with system in sig and all is smooth. Bumpmaping and textures are top notch. Has a percentage of level complete at end of level (i think stealth instead of killing).

I like this one much better than SC/Pandora Tomorrow.

Elias said:
It does, but it taxes my card.

i just got the shiny collectors edition, and it wont work. whenever i try to play it i get a box that says the program (splintercell3.exe) has encountered an unknown error and has to close. ive tried reinstalling it several times, and i still get the same message. can anyone shed some light on this? my computer specs are:

amd athlon xp 2800
MSI k7n2 delta2 PE mobo
sapphire 9800 pro (128 mb)
512mb kingston hyperx pc2700 + 256 mb unknown pc2700

did you try the patch?, it's for MP, but it might fix your problem?

also, do you have cats 5.3?

Motley said:
did you try the patch?, it's for MP, but it might fix your problem?

also, do you have cats 5.3?
yes, and yes. i have no clue whats wrong :(

edit: actually i just found out what was wrong from the splinter cell forums, apparently this game does NOT work with windowblinds running (or any gui modifications or something). i unloaded it and it works fine now.

Good to know!! I was about to try using Window Blinds for the first time.

Thermite Paste said:
i just got the shiny collectors edition, and it wont work. whenever i try to play it i get a box that says the program (splintercell3.exe) has encountered an unknown error and has to close. ive tried reinstalling it several times, and i still get the same message. can anyone shed some light on this? my computer specs are:

amd athlon xp 2800
MSI k7n2 delta2 PE mobo

probably starforce 3 protection stuffing you around, unless you got a decent dvd drive the dvd may not be able to authenticate. Quite a few people are complaining at the ubi forums about not being able to play the game because of starforce 3

*WARNING VERY MILD SPOILERS*

(so I won't be flamed, not really much though.)

This is definately the best SC to date. I haven't played MP yet, but SP is incredible. There are a few little bugs here and there, but for the most part it is absolutely beautiful. I love the feeling of incredible power you get when you walk into a crowded room, hack a computer, and steal some ammo, without ever being seen. I'd have to say my favorite level so far is the bank, I love the lasers, and the Brit.

-jenkins

i love the dialogue throughout the SP campaign.

***MINOR SPOILER AHEAD***

the conversation about 'ninjas' + the conversation sam and the guy have after you grab him is priceless.

Thermite Paste said:

amd athlon xp 2800
MSI k7n2 delta2 PE mobo
Actually, this is a known issue with apps the modify windows GUIs/Themes. Disable WindowBlinds, Alienguise, or anything you may have running that is currently duding up your windows interface.

By "known", I mean a common solution to this problem on the Ubi SC3 forums. Might not be your case, but chances are, it is.

There are plenty of great conversations.

***MINOR SPOILER AHEAD***

My favorites are:
The video game references
The Sam Fisher is Old bits. I really liked the "Win one for the Gipper" one. I know just how Sam feels to make a smartass comment and have nobody understand it.

All I have to say is holy crap is this game gorgeous! 1280x1024 all settings high sm3.0. Runs beautifully on my 6800gt. Very polished.

SPOILERS!

-"What do you think this is Sam? A videogame?"

-"Lasers are so..."
"90's?"
"I was going to say 70's..."

Just ran through the lighthouse demo, lots of fun! Great gameplay and it looks great to boot.

i jsut picked up the Collectors Editon one.. game is awesome :) , and i thought Splinter cell 1 and 2 Roxored!!!

this is my first time buying a SC game and i think its well worth it.. the gfx are amazing to say the least with sm3.0 and everything else maxed out

how do you hack? i tried the tutorial, but didn't get any of the explanations :(.

It's simple in practice, but a bit complex to explain...

Bottom right are portions of an address you need to lock in. Use the movement left/right keys to highlight a portion as it lights up, then press the use key (default E) to lock it in. The goal is to lock all four portions before the timer (bar above the address portions) ticks down.

All you NEED to know is the above, but you can also select COMPLETED addresses from the left by using the movement up/down keys. This can help you in some instances where you missed a few address portions, but locked in three. If there is only one address remaining (illuminated) on the left of the screen, just press the interaction key (what you use to grab NPCs) and you will exit, selecting the address which is highlighted on the left.

Also, since pressing interact selects an address from the left, press crouch to back out of the hack entirely without tripping alarms.

Probably could've explained better, but I think focusing just on locking numbers in on the bottom right is all you should focus on. So if this is really confusing, just focus on the that portion of the explaination. Figuring out the big left along the left of the screen will fall into place when you understand locking in portions.

Mates! Its $2.49 on epic right now! Taco watched playthrough on youtube nd it's a bloody sweet stealth adventure!

Its fascinating, doesn't need latest gen gpu since it's a bit aged, any video card should work! Taco itching now to get it since I cn probably crank 300fps with my new gtx960!! Will it show on 60fps monitor? Tha k you!! Link after pictur
View attachment 359175

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/splinter-cell-chaos-theory
I bought the whole series on UPlay for like $10 a few years back. The games still hold up pretty well today.

Sure, 300 FPS will show up on a 60 Hz monitor. It will just be tearing like no tomorrow.

Back