Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I don't feel like changing the room.
Does that make sense?
Hehe... to each their own.
If you are serious about "one" speaker and don't much care for price or quality (but just want to upgrade from OEM tin-box speakers) and don't much care for loudspeaker-looking speakers, then I would suggest you consider purchasing a single "center channel" speaker. They usually have dual drivers and you can run stereo to mono into it... and they are usually lower profile and horizontal - allowing you to stick it underneath your monitor or such.
Please don't flame this reply, as I'm just trying to offer unconventional advice to the unusual request. Perhaps this user is going [H]ardcore in a unique and creative way and we should at least let the situation play out so that we can see what novel solution he/she arrives at.
Nice man, this is the way he should of said it. Not like he did. It just sounded like he didn't give a damn, and that's what got everyone upset.Hehe... to each their own.
If you are serious about "one" speaker and don't much care for price or quality (but just want to upgrade from OEM tin-box speakers) and don't much care for loudspeaker-looking speakers, then I would suggest you consider purchasing a single "center channel" speaker. They are usually lower profile and horizontal - allowing you to stick it underneath your monitor or such.
Please don't flame this reply, as I'm just trying to offer unconventional advice to the unusual request. Perhaps this user is going [H]ardcore in a unique and creative way and we should at least let the situation play out so that we can see what novel solution he/she arrives at.
Nice man, this is the way he should of said it. Not like he did. It just sounded like he didn't give a damn, and that's what got everyone upset.
Getting back to topic, he has not started his budget yet. However, here are several cheap alternatives for that he wants. I have not heard them, but they are cheap and from reputable companies.
$50~$120
tSc RC1
Polk Audio CSM
Polk Audio CS2
Energy CC-50
Energy CC-100
Infinity Beta C250
Infinity Primus PC250
Not sure how you gonna power those up tho', but maybe there is ways. I personally have never seen a powered center channel, since they are normally connected to receivers.
I don't find anything rediculious about using only one speaker.
Look, my desk is all of 4ft wide, so factoring in the 14" width of the two speakers, that means that they'll be, at the most, 3-1/2' apart. Considering this you can see how it isn't really possible for me to set up an ideal "sound stage" for these speakers without making some changes to the room. I don't feel like changing the room.
We should all note how important speaker placement (the making of the sound stage) is with regards to sound quality. You may have the best speakers, but if you don't set them up properly they won't sound good.
Take this for example:
Notice how close together those two speakers are. Is it really silly to suggest that the two channels here (left and right) are blending together a little bit due to their being placed so close to one another?
My point in going into all of this is to say that I don't think it make sense to just buy "good" speakers without considering how they will be used. In making a recomendation the enviroment in which the speaker will be used should be considered.
Ohhh.... true. There aren't any that I know of. LOL.
Sure, right here: http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-building.cfmDoes anyone know where I can buy a 3.5" to 5" woofer, a tweeter, and a small amplifier that accepts input from a computer motherboard?
I could probably find MDF board somewhere locally.
Sure, right here: http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-building.cfm
However, that's gonna cost you tons more than buying something already made, and I can't comment of the quality of the outcome either.
Sure, right here: http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-building.cfm
However, that's gonna cost you tons more than buying something already made, and I can't comment of the quality of the outcome either.
Speaker system?
You seem to be willing to go through a lot of trouble for being apathetic to sound quality.
Am I apathetic towards sound quality?
Am I apathetic towards sound quality?
You're sacrificing sound quality because you don't have the room on your desk, but you're willing to build your own "system" that won't even be stereo. You clearly don't care about music, though you can deny it all you want.
You want to listen to music, and you are looking to buy a center channel speaker to do so. Not only is that ridiculous, it IS apathetic towards sound quality.
I'd like to hear of some cases where someone is interested in listening to music but a home theater center channel speaker is recommended to them instead. O... there hasn't been any because that is just asinine.
And why a set of stereo speakers isn't good enough like it is to the rest of the music listening population.
This thread is just one huge facepalm.
+This.That's like wanting to watch TV with only one eye. Anyway why not just go to your nearest store that sells speakers, get the cheapest ones there, set the sound on your comp to mono, and if you want cut one speaker off of the cord and pitch it in the trash.
This thread is ridiculous. You title your thread Speakers, but then you change your mind because your desk is too small for bookshelf speakers. Instead you decide upon a center channel for mono output.
But then you're willing to overpay for a Bose 2.0 system. When will the insanity stop?
Hey, there's a lot of threads on this forum much more insane than this one.
May I have some advice, please?
I currently have two Sony SS-U311 connected to my fairly outdated Yamaha R-V901. I'd like to keep the speakers, but I'd like to find a new receiver. Any suggestions? What other additional hardware would you suggest I look into?
I don't find anything rediculious about using only one speaker.
Look, my desk is all of 4ft wide, so factoring in the 14" width of the two speakers, that means that they'll be, at the most, 3-1/2' apart. Considering this you can see how it isn't really possible for me to set up an ideal "sound stage" for these speakers without making some changes to the room. I don't feel like changing the room.
We should all note how important speaker placement (the making of the sound stage) is with regards to sound quality. You may have the best speakers, but if you don't set them up properly they won't sound good.
Take this for example:
![]()
Notice how close together those two speakers are. Is it really silly to suggest that the two channels here (left and right) are blending together a little bit due to their being placed so close to one another?
My point in going into all of this is to say that I don't think it make sense to just buy "good" speakers without considering how they will be used. In making a recomendation the enviroment in which the speaker will be used should be considered.
I'm sorry, where can I report this guy? He is obviously trolling. I was just helping for the people that read this for actual help, not to joke around. Seriously, I think jhstuckey needs some time out.