• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Speakers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhstuckey

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 30, 2008
Messages
168
I'm looking to buy new computer speakers, as I've lately fallen into the habit of listening to music at the computer. It should be known that I plan only to use the integrated Intel HD audio that's already on my motherboard and that I'm only interested in a 2.0 setup, or just perhaps, a 1.0 setup---that's right, mono.

Why are two speakers necessary to enjoy good sound? After posting this question, I received the following answers (see page 3 for complete posts):

From user GJSNeptune (page 2):
Without stereo you don't have sound quality.

From cricco (page 4):
Using only a center channel speakers is "apathetic" towards sound quality and "rediculious".

Again from cricco (page 4):
No one is ever recommened a center channel speakers on this forum. This isn't done because it's "asinine" (see note 1).

My reply to cricco's view was as follows. All of our sesnes are subjective: seeing, tasting, feeling, and hearing. I mean, I can't know what it's like for you to hear something, simpy because I'm not you. You've your own personal experience which isn't accessable to me and I'll never know what it's like for you to hear or see. Therefore his view is flawed in that it fails to take this into account; perhaps hearing in mono is, for me, just as enjoyable as hearing in stereo is for him. (Or perhaps I can't tell the difference between mono and stereo at all).

Cricco however has a "career that touches in music prodution and playback" and he therefore can't accept my argument.

I suggested on page 3, that perhaps the "sound stage" (or the way in which the speakers create the stereo effect) would be degraded if they were to be close together. My idea was, if have two speakers that run in stereo, but you stack them on top of one another, what good would stereo be? Naturally most people don't do this, but it's quite common for us to put a speaker on either side of a 19" monitor. Is 19" really enough space between the speakers or would the sound stage be degraded? The answer to this question would seem quite difficult, but I think we could at least all agree that the speakers would sound better if they were both in seperate corners of the room. This suggestion drew further criticism from defaultluser, whos picture I used to illustrate my point (see page 4). Defaultluser argues against my view. His argument is as follows: a) these speakers were designed to be used close together. b) therefore, they sound good.

NOTE 1. The OED defines asinie as:
1. Of or pertaining to asses.
2. Having the qualities by which the ass is characterized; obstinate, stupid, doltish.
 
Last edited:
3.1? :confused: you mean 2.1? So you don't want a subwoofer? You only want 2.0?

Depending on how much of an audiophile you are, you may want to upgrade to a receiver and some bookshelf speakers. Though, for some PC audio speakers that are 2.0, I've seen the Creative T40 recommended quite often (as a cheaper solution). For more recommendations, hitup the audio subforum.

Here's a thread that might interest you: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1415700
 
Need a budget and preferred audio format. If you plan to play mp3s forever, you don't need to spend much. :D
 
M-Audio AV40, Swan M200MKII, Swan D1080MKII...... etc.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything from Logicrap, Creative or Klipsch.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Klipsch makes great stuff. Even their "computer" speakers are decent. I used a ProMedia 2.1 set for about two years before going with Audioengine. Huge leap in sound quality, but they also cost twice as much.
 
I think the important thing to keep in mind here is that I'm not buying speakers for my new Mcintosh amplifier; I'm buying speakers that I'm going to hook up to a little head-phone jack computer output.

They don't need to sound that good, and trying to make them so would be a waste of time. We invent the stereo for that purpose.

What they need to do is sound decent (in terms of good frequency response) and not cost a lot.

Many thanks
 
I love my Klipsch Promedia 2.1's... they sound great, especially for the $99 (new) I paid for them. I hate anything from Logitech, but if you're wondering why I have the Z-5500's, its cuz they only cost me $140 brand new. The Creative T40's sound better than any Logitech's that I've tried. It sounds like you want something cheaper than $100, like the $50-$75 range? If so, your choices are very limited, mainly to Creative, Altec Lansing, and Logitech, lol. If you don't mind paying $100 or more, as long as they're worth it, then checkout the ones criccio mentioned.
 
Audioengine A2: $200
M-Audio AV30: $100
M-Audio AV40: $150
Swan D1080MKII: $125
Swan M200MKII: $190 <---- best value for your money, ask me how I know.
Alesis M1 520: $200
Alesis M1 320: $100
JBL Control 2P: $200
Samson MediaOne 3A: $100
Edirol MA-7A BK: $100
Edirol MA-15D BK: $190
Wharfedale DP8.1A: $130
Wharfedale DP8.2A: $150
Behringer MS40: $140 <--- built-in DAC
Tascam VLA4: $150


The list can go on forever. There are so many good quality speakers for computers out there, its a shame that marketing is pushing the plastic crap that Klipsch, Creative and Logicrap sell.
 
Do you have most products available to you in Germany? Do you have a transformer?
 
I think this may solve my voltage problem:

blowup-vtd-100.jpg


The VTD 200 converts 110/120 Volt up to 220/240 Volt and vice versa.
 
Last edited:
Audioengine A2: $200
M-Audio AV30: $100
M-Audio AV40: $150
Swan D1080MKII: $125
Swan M200MKII: $190 <---- best value for your money, ask me how I know.
Alesis M1 520: $200
Alesis M1 320: $100
JBL Control 2P: $200
Samson MediaOne 3A: $100
Edirol MA-7A BK: $100
Edirol MA-15D BK: $190
Wharfedale DP8.1A: $130
Wharfedale DP8.2A: $150
Behringer MS40: $140 <--- built-in DAC
Tascam VLA4: $150


The list can go on forever. There are so many good quality speakers for computers out there, its a shame that marketing is pushing the plastic crap that Klipsch, Creative and Logicrap sell.


How do you know they're good and where can I buy them (the Swan M200MKII)?
 
How do you know they're good and where can I buy them (the Swan M200MKII)?

I posted a link. Scroll up.

While speakers are incredibly subjective, all the ones I mentioned are designed with quality, transparency and accuracy in mind. As opposed to just wanting to sell alot to ignorant "gamers". i.e. Logitech.
 
You sure these sound that good? A 189$ a pair isn't cheap.

Lol? It's cheap for speakers. As one who has spent a few thousand on audio gear, this is very cheap. And sounds pretty good. And looks good too.
 
I got a pair of speakers right now that I paid 6,99-Euro for.

And I can hear music from them.

What will the other one's do that's worth 180$ more?
 
I got a pair of speakers right now that I paid 6,99-Euro for.

And I can hear music from them.

What will the other one's do that's worth 180$ more?

Then... grab another pair and be done with it... You don't sound like someone who cares for audio. Don't spend extra money on something you don't care for.
 
I got a pair of speakers right now that I paid 6,99-Euro for.

And I can hear music from them.

What will the other one's do that's worth 180$ more?

Produce music that doesn't sound like garbage?
 
I got a pair of speakers right now that I paid 6,99-Euro for.

And I can hear music from them.

What will the other one's do that's worth 180$ more?

Ooook. Now I'm officially done helping. That gem of a comment was amazingly ignorant.
 
It isn't that I don't care for audio, I'm simply looking for a good reason to spend 180$ on a pair of speakers to be used with an integrated audio device (intel).

As 180$ can buy a decent loud-speaker today (such as a Bowers and Wilkinsons) I feel I at least need some justification for spending the money on computer speakers.

I mean, these things have an integrated amplifier---do they really sound that good?
 
Definition of decent?

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

1. a. Becoming, suitable, appropriate, or proper to the circumstances or special requirements of the case; seemly, fitting. Obs. or arch.

5. a. Satisfying a fair standard; fair, tolerable, passable, ‘respectable’; good enough in its way.
 
It isn't that I don't care for audio, I'm simply looking for a good reason to spend 180$ on a pair of speakers to be used with an integrated audio device (intel).

As 180$ can buy a decent loud-speaker today (such as a Bowers and Wilkinsons) I feel I at least need some justification for spending the money on computer speakers.

I mean, these things have an integrated amplifier---do they really sound that good?

My main Audioengine A5 has a built-in amplifier that also drives the other monitor. They sound wonderful. You don't always need an external amp. Powered monitors can sound amazing.

I don't know why you keep talking about sound quality. You're using like $15 speakers. Just about any set will sound better than those.
 
M-Audio AV40, Swan M200MKII, Swan D1080MKII...... etc.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything from Logicrap, Creative or Klipsch.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Yeah, I second what criccio said. As for whether they are worth the price or not... yes.
If this is your first speaker "upgrade" you'll discover how nice it is and wonder why the heck you waited so long to buy real speakers for your computer.

Then you'll start itching to upgrade to a higher quality sound card.

Once you've tasted the fruits, you'll never be satisfied with cardboard products again.
 
Last edited:
I have not been terribly impressed with the Swan M200MKIIs. After 3 weeks of waiting for a working pair they have weak bass (55hz is very optimistic on their part), horrible bass/treble controls, and they are huge for most desks. The bass/treble controls kind of work like this. If you turn up the bass, the highs gets chopped off. Treble control knocks out your bass. Turning up both will give you better bass and highs simultaneously, but your mids are crushed. You need to have the tweeters at ear level to get the best sound so plan on elevating these heavy beasts. Off-axis listening is fairly fatiguing so make sure they are aligned properly and don't expect too much from them if you are not at your desk and listening to music. Speaking of desks, better have a large one. I had read the dimensions before buying, but they caught me off-guard. I would suggest mocking them up or at least getting out a ruler to understand exactly how large they are. Also, the sloped tops of the speakers make it difficult to put anything on them. Really you shouldn't be doing that, but they take up a lot of space so it may be unavoidable.

Adding a subwoofer to these speakers is possible, but it will not be easy to set things up so you only need one volume control (unless you use your windows volume). You'll probably want a subwoofer to fill in the lows if you are used to any kind of bass response.

A note on my return of defective speakers: There is a pretty common problems with the power amp capacitors being bad. There is a thread or two around some forums about fixing them but it is not a simple proposition due to the construction and location of the components. The return shipping cost is a bitch on 34 pounds, theaudioinsider will refuse to help with it too, when you can manage to get in contact with them. It took 5 days for an email response. Phone is faster, but you will likely have to call several times to get someone to pick up. My speakers were bad right out of the box which leads me to question Swan's QA process. That set should not have made it out of the factory, and I should not have had to pay $35 to ship them back.
 
Last edited:
I have not been terribly impressed with the Swan M200MKIIs. After 3 weeks of waiting for a working pair they have weak bass (55hz is very optimistic on their part), horrible bass/treble controls, and they are huge for most desks. The bass/treble controls kind of work like this. If you turn up the bass, the treble gets chopped off. Treble control knocks out your bass. Turning up both will give you better bass and treble simultaneously, but your mids are crushed. You need to have the tweeters at ear level to get the best sound so plan on elevating these heavy beasts. Off-axis listening is fairly fatiguing so make sure they are aligned properly and don't expect too much from them if you are not at your desk and listening to music. Speaking of desks, better have a large one. I had read the dimensions before buying, but they caught me off-guard. I would suggest mocking them up or at least getting out a ruler to understand exactly how large they are. Also, the sloped tops of the speakers make it difficult to put anything on them. Really you shouldn't be doing that, but they take up a lot of space so it may be unavoidable.

A note on my return of defective speakers: There is a pretty common problems with the power amp capacitors being bad. There is a thread or two around some forums about fixing them but it is not a simple proposition due to the construction and location of the components. The return shipping cost is a bitch on 34 pounds, theaudioinsider will refuse to help with it too, when you can manage to get in contact with them. It took 5 days for an email response. Phone is faster, but you will likely have to call several times to get someone to pick up. My speakers were bad right out of the box which leads me to question Swan's QA process. That set should not have made it out of the factory, and I should not have had to pay $35 to ship them back.

That's for the information.

Yeah I don't really want a set that looks like a pair of loud-speakers. As I've said, I have a stereo for that.

I'd prefer something about the size of the bose companion II speakers.
 
I fancy the Swan D1080MKII. They're a bit large though and I'm not sure if I have room on my desk for both of them. Perhaps they'd sell me just one.

I don't really need stereo anyway.
 
I just don't need stereo---a lot of the stuff I listen to may not be recorded in stereo. I'd rather have the 7 square inches on my desk.
 
I just don't need stereo---a lot of the stuff I listen to may not be recorded in stereo. I'd rather have the 7 square inches on my desk.

What do you listen to?

Let's try to get this straight. You're using 6,99-Euro pieces of shit, and you want to replace them with one higher quality speaker that isn't and doesn't look like a loudspeaker? I think you're auralusional. Yes, I made up a word just for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top